The cheapest and easiest way to finish the ceiling is to install foam tiles. In terms of cost, such works can be equated to traditional whitewashing, but unlike it, the design is much more effective, since it opens up huge opportunities for creative ideas. This material has a rich texture and color, imitates various surfaces and is decorated with beautiful relief patterns. Depending on the style of decoration, you can choose classic white tiles or colored panels with stucco molding.
The process of installing such a ceiling is not complicated, so you can do it yourself without having special skills for this.
Foam tiles are very popular in ceiling design, as they are a budget material, thanks to which you can quickly and stylishly design any coating. It is well suited for the decoration of residential premises, offices and out-of-town outbuildings… The tiles are produced in various sizes from ecological raw materials, and a special processing technology makes the material resistant to high humidity and sudden temperature changes. Today, the construction market is represented by a chic selection of modifications of PVC tiles, so it will not be difficult to purchase a suitable option, in addition, the product is paintable and ideally hides all the flaws of the ceiling.
By finishing in this way, interesting patterns can be obtained on the surface of the ceiling, they are evenly distributed over the entire base, but often form seams, therefore it is recommended to purchase a special seamless tile for a perfect finish… Its panels are characterized by a pure white hue and look beautiful in spacious rooms.
In addition to all this, other advantages can be distinguished from foam tiles:
- Low price… Compared to the installation of complex suspended structures and decorative plaster, the material allows you to beautifully decorate the ceiling without significant financial costs.
- Easy to install… The panels are lightweight and can be fixed with mounting glue. In addition, the material is quickly cut into the desired size or shape. Installation work is carried out without the formation of dust and debris.
- Easy care… The product is not afraid of water, so wet cleaning is suitable for it.
- Good heat and sound insulation.
In addition to positive properties, ceiling tiles also have disadvantages, namely:
- A room covered with foam panels requires high-quality ventilation, since stuffiness and heavy air can form in a closed room.
- Installation of tiles is carried out on a previously prepared ceiling, so its surface must be carefully leveled and primed. This, of course, will entail additional costs, but if visible defects are not eliminated, then the finishing material can repeat all the bulges.
- No matter how well the tiles are laid, joints cannot be avoided. Therefore, all seams must be repaired.
- Foam panels are easy to cut, but can crumble and break. Such cut-out elements can fail in further operation, since their integral structure will be violated and they will differ significantly from their industrial counterpart.
Foam tiles are a unique finishing material, as they are made in various shapes.Today on sale you can find square panels 50 cm long and rectangular. Hexagon and diamond-shaped tiles are also very popular, they look unusual in design and create original patterns.
Depending on the production technology, the following types of material are distinguished:
Stamped… The panels are produced from polystyrene blocks using a special stamping method. Such tiles have low weight, low density, their thickness does not exceed 8 mm. The products are characterized by a relief structure and are inexpensive. Since the panels are not covered with a protective film, they are exposed to mechanical stress and are afraid of wet cleaning. In addition, during installation, small gaps may occur between the plates, which must be closed
- Extruded… The panels are made by pressing polystyrene raw materials. They are characterized by high density and thickness of 3 mm. Additionally, the material is covered with a protective layer that protects it from damage and dust. As a rule, such tiles imitate wood and marble, they are reliable in operation, but due to the presence of connecting joints, they cannot be painted.
- Injector… Products are manufactured under conditions in which polystyrene is baked in molds. This type of panels, in contrast to the previous versions, is characterized by high strength and thickness. In addition, the patterns applied to the surface of the material have unusual geometry and relief. When installed, decorative tiles look solid and their seams are almost invisible. Such a ceiling does not burn, it can be washed with detergents and painted in any color.
Seamless ceiling tiles also deserve special attention, thanks to which the surface looks monolithic and even.
The edges of the panels have a special shape, so the joints that appear during its installation are originally "hidden" and become invisible. For this type of tile, there is a separate laying technology and its fixing is carried out using glue, which dries quickly.
How to choose?
The ceiling plays a huge role in the design. Its decor determines not only the atmosphere of the room, but also the appearance of the space. Therefore, you need to choose the right finishing material for the ceiling.
In order for the tiles to look beautiful in the room and reliably serve for many years, it is recommended to pay attention to the following points when buying them:
- Shape and edges… The material should have clear lines and borders. You cannot choose tiles with deformed and curved edges, as this can lead to many problems during installation.
- Material structure… The panels must have a uniform density around the entire perimeter. It is not allowed to use products that have crumbling edges and dents or waves.
- Drawing… Preference should be given to tiles with clear patterns.
- The size… Each panel in the kit must be the same width and length.
- Design… Traditionally, the material is produced in white, but in order to save yourself from future painting, you can immediately purchase panels of the desired color. Wood or natural stone coatings also look beautiful. In addition, PVC tiles are matte and laminated, it is recommended to inspect its samples in advance, and only then give preference to one or another option.
It is also advisable to study customer reviews before choosing a decorative product and purchase tiles only from well-known and well-proven manufacturers who can provide the appropriate quality certificates.
Polyfoam is considered one of the most affordable materials with which you can quickly and easily decorate the ceiling. In order for the tile to look aesthetically pleasing, it must be installed correctly, adhering to certain technologies.
The process of pasting foam panels begins with preparatory work, which consists of the following stages:
- Wall covering… It is carried out before the installation of the tiles, since the glue can stain the decorative coating. If the decoration of the walls in the repair is not provided, then they are simply covered with a film.
- Dismantling and cleaning… All lighting sources are removed and electrical wiring is isolated. The old coating is removed and stains from rust, mildew, grease and soot are removed.
- Puttying… A thick cement mortar is being prepared and the cracks are covered.
- Padding… It can be made both from ready-made mixtures, and you can prepare them yourself from water and PVA glue. It is advisable to cover the ceiling with a primer that contains antifungal components.
- Grinding… The surface is checked for evenness and, if necessary, a starting putty is additionally applied, after which the base is sanded and fixed with acrylic.
Ceiling tiles are glued to any surface. To fix it, you must first select a convenient scheme and only then proceed with the installation. Most often, diagonal, parallel and combined placement of panels are used.
A parallel installation starts from a corner noticeable in the room and looks like this:
- Glue is applied to the tiles. They cover the perimeter of the seamy side and make additional fixation in the middle. In this case, it is necessary to control the layer of glue, because if it is thick, then traces may remain, and the seams will become much more noticeable.
- The canvas is pressed against the base of the ceiling and smoothed. The next panel is attached in the same way, but its patterns should be a continuation of the first tile and look symmetrical.
- After the row is completed, you should measure the seams and the distance to the wall.
- The final stage will be the decoration of the ceiling with skirting boards, which are selected from the same material as the tile. They are also fixed with glue.
As for the diagonal installation, it starts from the center of the ceiling. In the event that a chandelier is planned to be placed in the center, then the edges of the panels are cut off, and the resulting hole will then be easily closed with a plug.
Installation work in this case is carried out as follows:
- The marking of the ceiling is made, along which the first panel is fixed in the very center. Moreover, its corners must strictly correspond to the middle of the lines.
- The second tile is installed along the applied axes, then the work continues in the same way until completion. Installation of the extreme row will be carried out from cut out parts.
With combined placement of ceiling elements glue is applied simultaneously to the surface of four boards, after which they are immediately attached to the base… All work must be performed strictly according to the marking, and the extreme row is laid out from pre-cut blanks. This technique is considered difficult, so it is not recommended for beginners to use it.
For information on how to properly glue the ceiling tiles, see the next video.
How can you paint?
Styrofoam ceiling tiles are produced in various colors and textures, but many craftsmen prefer to purchase material with a white surface, after which they are additionally decorated with paint. It is worth noting that painting foam panels allows not only to give the material an aesthetic appearance, but is also characterized by many positive characteristics. It acts as a protective layer and strengthens the structure of the product. Besides, painted tiles do not get dirty so quickly and are easier to clean.
In order for the work to be performed efficiently, it is necessary to choose a good paint that will transform the appearance of the panels and extend their service life. Usually high adhesion paint is used for ceiling tilesresistant to moisture and detergents.
In addition, colorants must be made from components that do not dissolve the foam.
For these works, the following paint options are recommended:
- Acrylic… The mixture belongs to the water-dispersion group, it is made from polymer and acrylic resins.It dries quickly, has no odor, is easy to use and does not harm human health. After such painting, the surface of the ceiling is covered with a vapor-permeable film, so the material "breathes". In addition, this type of paint does not fade, is not afraid of temperature changes and is represented by a huge choice of color palette.
- Water-based… It is an emulsion containing water, various polymers and coloring pigments. It is inexpensive, spreads evenly over the surface, dries quickly and does not leave marks and streaks from a brush or roller. The only thing is that this paint cannot be applied in a thick layer, otherwise the film will begin to peel off and crack. Also, tiles painted with this solution will absorb dust and grease much faster. It cannot be washed with detergents, therefore it is not recommended to paint in kitchens, where there is a constant accumulation of soot and grease.
It is worth noting that foam tiles can be not only painted, but also whitened. This option is most suitable for rooms with high humidity.
How to wash?
Any decorative coating gets dirty over time and needs to be cleaned. Foam tiles are no exception to this. As a rule, it is cleaned with a vacuum cleaner, but if after such cleaning there are traces of grease and soot, then it is recommended to wash it.
Many people are afraid to wash the ceiling panels, as they believe that this can disrupt the structure of the material and spoil the finish. In fact, this is not the case, the foam is well tolerated in contact with water and withstands the chemical attack of detergents.
It is recommended to choose an ordinary soap solution as a detergent; it will perfectly remove not only cobwebs, dust, but also other types of dirt.
As for the kitchen, it will require more effective tools that can cope with the film of fat. In this case use detergents with which to wash dishes or solutions for washing clothes… But they often contain bleaching agents and can damage the appearance of the ceiling. It is undesirable to wash panels with powders, especially for products with a laminated and glossy surface.
Washing your ceiling tile is very simple. To do this, cover the surface of the ceiling with foam or a cleaning solution, and after the mixture has completely penetrated into all the recesses and patterns, it is wiped off with a damp cloth. In the event that cleaning does not give the desired result, the solution is reapplied, and the remaining water is removed with paper towels. At the end of washing, the surface of the panels must remain clean and dry.
Do not press hard on a sponge or rag during cleaning, as bulges and dents may appear on the panels.… In addition, it is not allowed to clean the drawings with hard objects and hard brushes, otherwise the surface of the ceiling will lose its aesthetics.
Examples in the interior
Particular attention in a modern interior deserves a ceiling decoration with foam tiles with a laminated surface. It looks bright and stylish, allows you to decorate the room in an original way, to give it an unusual look. Since ceiling panels of this type are decorated with beautiful patterns, they can be safely used for classic designs. Tiles with three-dimensional patterns are well suited for interiors of rooms in which details in the Renaissance style prevail. In order for such a ceiling to harmoniously fit into the overall design style, it must be supplemented with beautiful furniture and exquisite wall decoration.
Laminated tiles imitating wood will also become an unusual idea in the interior of the room.… It will ideally be in harmony with the style of Provence and chalet. In order for the image of the room to acquire the finishing touch, it is necessary to lay laminate or parquet in the room, and decorate the walls with wooden inserts.In this case, it is best to give preference to panels with a smooth surface.
An interesting option for finishing the ceiling is considered to be seamless foam tiles. Thanks to its special structure, the surface is solid. In addition, similar panels are often decorated with stucco moldings and imitate various natural materials… With such a tile, you can translate any design ideas into reality. You can use either a snow-white shade of the panels or choose a color design. At the same time, it is important to pay attention to the decoration of the walls and flooring, remember that there should not be more than three colors in the design.
For spacious rooms, it is advisable to choose curly foam tiles.… She will create an original composition, and beautiful patterns will favorably emphasize the general theme of the style. These panels look great in living rooms and halls, and the white ceiling is perfect for bedrooms. To separate the ceiling from the walls in an original way, you need to additionally glue the baseboards… Bright lighting in the form of a large chandelier will also not hurt in the room.