Before starting repair work, you must first select a suitable finishing material. If we are talking about a bathroom or kitchen, then you cannot do without ceramic tiles.
The material is presented in a wide variety. Wall and floor tiles differ in appearance, size, texture, strength and other operational aspects.
There are two groups of goods with different textures: glossy and matte tiles.… This indicator affects not only the appearance of the product, but also other characteristics.
Many designers recommend using matte tiles for bathroom decoration because of their individual characteristics.
Features of the
The matte finish is ideal for modern bathroom furnishings. Such a texture will fit better into the interior than a glossy one. This type of surface gives the room an austere, calm and stylish look. The material looks great not only on the wall, but also on the floor and ceiling.
Correctly selected tiles create a comfortable and pleasant atmosphere in the room. The matte finish is pleasant to the touch. While smooth and shiny surfaces make a room feel cold and even repulsive, texture options create an inviting warm environment.
The use of this type of tile will create a stylish, original and expressive interior in the room.
Modern manufacturers make extraordinary collections that attract attention with the richness of colors, patterns and various decorative elements. Matte combines smoothness, tenderness, as well as nobility and special aesthetics.
After analyzing customer reviews and the opinions of specialists in the field of decor and repair, a list of the advantages of the material was compiled:
Anti-slip… The material with a matte surface is ideal for bathroom decoration due to its non-slip effect. This texture is achieved due to a special porous structure, while the glossy surface is perfectly smooth. The products are perfect for use in homes and apartments where the elderly or small children live. This category of people is especially vulnerable, and they can get hurt if they slip on glossy tiles
- Chemical resistance… Matte material for wall and ceiling cladding easily tolerates the effects of various chemical solutions, even those containing aggressive components. To clean the tiles, you can use a variety of household chemicals, be it a regular dishwashing detergent or special tile compounds.
- Care… In order for a glossy surface to retain its beauty, it is necessary to devote time to cleaning and polishing it almost every day. This is not necessary for matte material. You can save a lot of time and not waste money on expensive cleaning compounds. There is an opinion that the textured surface, due to its roughness, absorbs dirt, and it is difficult to wash it, but this is not so. Despite this figure, cleaning is very simple. No water marks are visible on the matte surface. Brushing once a week should be sufficient.
- Choice… Manufacturing companies offer modern buyers a huge variety of matte tiles. A wide selection allows you to easily find a suitable option for a certain style.On sale you will find collections that imitate various natural materials and other textures.
- Wear resistance… Matte tiles have a high wear resistance, but this indicator is reliable only for high-quality products. The optimal service life of the products is several decades. Having used the finishing material once, you can forget about troublesome repairs for a long time.
- Appearance… The special texture attracts the attention of buyers. The beauty of the finishing material will remain for a long period of time. The matte surface fully reveals the color and its fullness without glare and shine.
The above advantages include general advantages related to this type of material:
- long service life;
- the beauty.
Matte tiles have disadvantages due to their special texture. Designers note that using such material, it is impossible to decorate a room in a luxurious and pompous Baroque, Rococo or Empire style.
The second disadvantage is that difficult and stubborn stains on the tiles are difficult to remove by conventional wet cleaning, but this can be easily corrected using additional tools.
In the interior
Matte tiles are ideal for the following design trends:
In classical directions, such material can be used if you choose the right color of the tile and its shape. The tile is suitable for the direction of classicism.
Matte tiles imitating natural materials are very popular. Such products are particularly attractive to consumers. It is often used to create a special setting.
The most common options are:
- Sand… As a rule, these are dies in yellow and beige tones.
- Clay… The optimal color is shades of gray or brown.
- Wood… The simulated breed can be varied. Bamboo-like tiles are very popular.
- A rock… There are many types of stone in nature. The most spectacular of them have taken as a basis for creating amazing collections of matte tiles.
- Linen… This is a tile that looks like a natural fabric. The coating will create a pleasant home environment in the room.
High-quality finishing material cannot be distinguished from natural raw materials. These tiles are perfect for ethnic styles.
An inexperienced buyer can easily get lost among the huge selection. Products are marked with special labels that contain information about the product. Consider the information provided to make the right choice.
The most common designations are:
- Foot… This icon is used to mark the floor tiles. A foot on a shaded background means increased resistance of the material to abrasion.
- Palm… Tile for wall decoration.
- Flask… High resistance to chemicals. Also, this parameter is denoted by letters. The standard option is AA.
- Numbers (gear)… With their help, they indicate wear resistance. On the basis of residential premises, experts recommend using the value "2". You can walk on such tiles in shoes with soft soles without any problems.
- Boot… The picture with a boot on an inclined surface is talking about the anti-skid coefficient. It is marked with numbers from one to 4. Matte tiles have the highest designation.
- Thickness value… The thickness is indicated in millimeters. For wall decoration, tiles are ideal, the thickness of which is from 6 to 9 millimeters. For the floor, you need to choose a denser material, with a designation from 9 to 12 millimeters.
Pay attention to the dimensions of the tiles. It can be widespread, for example 20x30, or expressed in other parameters.
The matte tile market is replete with a variety of colors and shades.
The decorating experts have compiled a list of standard bathroom colors:
Shades of blue… Blue, light blue, azure - these and many other colors are often used for decorating a bathroom with a nautical theme. This is a common technique that has become a classic. They also use such paints: cyan, turquoise, aquamarine and other similar shades
For expressiveness, images of the water surface, waves, bubbles or inhabitants of the sea depths are applied to the plates. To dilute the palette of "cold" shades, bright accents are used in the decor.
- Search… At the peak of popularity is light tiles, decorated with golden elements. The main colors used are: white, beige, champagne, empire, milk and other tones. Ideal for small bathrooms. With such tiles, the room will look smart and elegant.
- Greens… Shades of green are also often used to decorate bathrooms. Tiles in light green, pistachio or mint colors are in great demand. Connoisseurs of dark and thick shades choose the following colors: emerald, bottle green or malachite.
- Bright colors… Saturated and variegated tones are ideal for modern stylistic trends. The most popular colors are red, orange, yellow. So that colors do not have a negative effect on the psyche, irritating the nervous system, they are combined with a white or black tone.
- Black and white… Tiles in black or white are a classic that does not go out of fashion. Contrasting patches work great together, but they are also used individually. The bathroom, completely dressed in black, looks chic and impressive, then this technique can only be used on the basis of spacious rooms.
- Ethnic style… For an ethno-style bathroom, matte tiles in brown and beige tones are great. They are soft and neutral shades that are great for living spaces. Also, designers recommend using gray dies.
- House barbie… Young girls often choose pink or lilac tiles. These colors and their shades create the effect of a Barbie house. These colors create a romantic and delicate atmosphere in the room. The overall composition is complemented by mirrors, shiny glossy fixtures and various elegant accessories.
Experienced buyers share their opinions on the use of matte tiles. Most of the reviews characterizing this product are positive.
Users note that matte tiles are not inferior in expressiveness to a glossy texture. Drawings and patterns applied to the tiles are fully revealed due to the absence of glare and other distracting elements on the surface.
- Delicate, romantic and stylish bathroom decoration with matte tiles. Orchid plates are used as decorative elements. Tile size - 20x30.
- Strict and effective decoration in black and white colors. Light and dark dies blend and make each other stand out. A black floral pattern is applied to the border and decor.
- Marine theme in soft blue. The matte tiles in the dominant color were supplemented with small mosaics. This decor remains relevant from year to year.
For tips on how to choose a tile, see the video below.