Today glass tiles are in great demand. Its area of application usually extends to bathrooms and kitchens. This material is popular due to its attractive prices, large selection and aesthetics. The product can give your home a unique originality and beauty.
Features of the
This facing material is made from ground glass with the addition of binding mixtures and dyes.
Such a tile has a number of distinctive characteristics:
- Long service life. In this, glass tiles are in no way inferior to ceramic and glass-ceramic products, since such material does not have the destructive effect of alkalis and acids.
- The product is not subject to rapid aging. The pattern is applied to the back to maintain vibrant colors over time.
- The material is not subject to heavy contamination. You can avoid the appearance of mold and mildew without spending a lot of effort cleaning the product.
- A wide selection of color palette, various patterns and images. An excellent combination of glass with other materials allows you to decorate the interior for every taste.
- Lightweight styling. Unlike most types of tiles, glass is fairly easy to install on your own.
- Excellent percentage of light reflection. Due to this, the tiles visually enlarge the space and make it lighter. Thanks to these properties, the material is perfect for decorating small kitchens and bathrooms.
- The material is not exposed to high humidity and chemicals. It is not significantly affected by specialized detergents, time or sunlight.
- The tile is great for decorating rooms with low ceilings, visually stretching the room.
- The product is resistant to moisture, making it a suitable material for bathrooms and kitchens.
- If you decide that your bathroom needs a lot of light, you don't have to worry about keeping your tiles looking good. The material does not fade and remains bright.
- Tile maintenance does not require special products and specific cleaning techniques.
- One of the most significant features is security. You will not get injured even by breaking the tiles, as the edges of the product will be completely unsharp. Also, on such material, the possibility of slipping and getting hurt is excluded.
- Glass tiles are great for partial decoration. As mentioned above, the product works well with other materials.
An important nuance is that the glass requires an additional frame to protect it from deformation. Strong impacts can severely damage the product, causing bumps and chips.
Previously, they were afraid to use glass tiles in most interiors, fearing its supposedly low practicality. Many customers were sure that when exposed to any kind of chemistry, the product will deform and deteriorate. In reality, glass tile cladding is in no way inferior in terms of quality to traditional products.
Usually, the most worrisome is the material from which the tiles are made. Since the glass is pre-crushed, all particles have rounded corners. therefore even if the product is severely damaged or scattered, you will not cut yourself. This is especially true for families with children.
Areas of use
This material will perfectly fit into any room, be it a private house or a public building.Living rooms, hallways, commercial spaces are decorated with glass, but, without a doubt, the most common areas are kitchens and bathrooms.
Modern designers give some practical tips for the use of glass tiles:
- In the bathroom, it is worth using a diagonal design, creating the illusion of a special depth of the room.
- If the size of the room is very small, decorating the ceiling with glass tiles will create a real miracle, multiplying the space.
- The same rule applies to small and highly elongated corridors - the effect of the increased space will immediately become noticeable.
A little tip for those who want to create a truly magical effect in the hallway: try laying glass tiles only at the beginning on the left side and only at the end on the right side. Thanks to this trick, natural light will be scattered and the room will become very cozy.
As mentioned above, there is a wide variety of tile styles. For example, if you want to add color to the interior, you need to choose an oriental direction with a fancy patterned pattern. For lovers of minimalism, discreet modernity is suitable, emphasizing modern design and increasing the space. The Italian direction will give the room a southern flavor, refreshing the room with colorful tiles with bright patterns. The most concise and classic style is the country direction.
Varieties of tile elements:
- Glass decor. Among the glass tiles there are enameled products, presented in a small range of sizes. Such details are used to decorate mosaic fragments or to create panels.
- Glass marble. From the name it becomes clear that such a tile imitates the surface of marble in all sorts of colors - from green to black.
- Stemalit… Enamelled material is paintable. Such products are opaque, and you can cover them with any color you like. In addition, enameled tiles are not subject to destruction at high temperature extremes.
- Penodecor… Cladding tiles for exterior walls. Has a rough translucent surface.
- Marblit… The luxurious appearance of the product is especially advantageous for dark rooms with spot lighting.
If you want to make your bathroom truly stylish, it is worth considering the choice of tiles wisely. Glass is perfect for wall and floor cladding.
Products made of translucent or transparent glass will look advantageous, and you can also try an unusual matte finish.
For the kitchen, we recommend transparent structures that look stylish and modern. But this does not mean at all that the kitchen will be white and faceless. You can choose any color scheme you like, while the product will not lose its transparency. Glass is usually used to cover the backsplash, but more and more glass has recently been used to cover the surfaces of tables, walls and other parts of the kitchen space.
Small additions in the form of glass tiles can change the style of the kitchen dramatically. For example, if you want to spice up a light kitchen but don't want to use too bright accents, silver tiles are an excellent choice.
The choice of tile size plays an important role. The right combination of colors and shapes will visually enlarge the space, add light and fully enjoy the aesthetic component. The standard dimensions of the product are 20 * 30 cm. This size is suitable for rooms with a large and medium area.
The more spacious the room, the less the seams will be conspicuous. If you direct the laying of tiles along the length, you can visually stretch the room.
Large tiles can reach 25 * 40 cm in size. Such products are advisable to use for flooring and only partially for wall decoration.
Small sizes refer to mosaics. Such elements have low requirements and are suitable for almost any surface. If you use mosaics wisely, you can visually align the walls and give the interior that extra appeal. From the mosaic you can create a beautiful panel or create an original drawing. However, it is worth remembering that such products can visually reduce the space.
To avoid this situation, it is recommended to harmoniously combine the mosaic with standard size tiles.
The surface on which the tiles will be glued must be perfectly dry, clean, without cracks and notches. If you are going to glue the piece to the ceiling, make sure it can support the weight of the tile.
The choice of adhesive is an important step. You can choose white glass glue (it is moisture resistant, applied in a thin layer) or transparent one-component glue. The latter will not only give a strong hold, but also improve the appearance of the product. It is not recommended to use mastic, as such a component is prone to yellowing and does not adhere well to the material.
First, the adhesive is applied with a spatula directly to the tiles in an even and thin layer to avoid uneven drying. Remember to remove the plastic protective sheet from the tile before applying. It is advisable to prepare the glue in portions, which must be used within fifteen minutes. After applying the adhesive, press the tile against a clean wall surface. Avoid pressing hard. It is recommended to remove excess glue with a blunt blade.
After gluing, it is not recommended to touch the tiles for 24 hours. It is possible to wash the product only after three days.
For information on how to lay glass tiles in the bathroom, see the next video.
In order for the tile to serve you for a long time and retain its original appearance for a long time, you need to properly care for it. Do not use products with a high content of phosphoric acid, wax or oils.… Neutral products are best suited for cleaning such items. If, nevertheless, it is necessary to tidy up too neglected tiles, then you will have to use a tool containing the above substances, but at a minimum.
After cleaning, it is recommended to rinse the surface with warm water. Glass with mother-of-pearl needs special care. Use only specialized means for this.
In user reviews, the positive properties of glass tiles are most often noted. Most buyers purchase products for the combined decor of the kitchen, bathroom, partitions and arches. The practicality of the tiles stands out, namely, easy cleaning, appropriateness in most interior styles and the ability to create original panels and drawings.