For tiling work, special devices are needed that help to minimize physical effort, save time and allow you to do the job better. Moreover, at some stages you simply cannot do without professional tools, even if you plan to do everything yourself.
Prepare the instruments in advance and check their condition. If you are at the stage of choosing them, you can use some tips.
- Do not rush to buy the entire list at once, which will be advised to you in the store. Before proceeding directly to the installation, you need to carefully study all the actions - only in this way you will understand what is really necessary and what you can refuse.
- Any technology undergoes a modernization process over time. Improved tool models will actually be more efficient. But if you already have them, do not rush to buy new ones. All the more so if you are a beginner.
- When buying, you should not focus on cost. It is clear that good equipment will not be cheap. However, this factor will not give you one hundred percent guarantee. Well-established manufacturers are better than any advertising characterized by user reviews on the net.
- Be sure to think about protective equipment - clothes, shoes, glasses and gloves.
In addition to tools, you need to ensure that the working surface on which the tiles will be laid is also carefully prepared. First you need to remove the existing coating. To dismantle the old tile you need:
- protective coating against dust and dirt;
- pneumatic jackhammer or conventional hammer (wood or metal);
- chisel, chisel, or metal plate;
- buckets, trash bags, and a spray bottle of water (to keep dust out).
The same goes for paint, wallpaper and other layers that hide behind them. They need to be cleaned off until the concrete or brick base is completely free. After that, the surface must be leveled. Here you will need:
- roller or brush (to apply the primer);
- spatulas (for applying putty, usually there are two of them - narrow and wide);
- beacons in the form of a metal profile (installed strictly according to the level);
- sandpaper (for finishing sanding).
Instead of spreading, the putty can be thrown over with a bucket - this method is used by experienced professionals.
One of the most important stages - after all, the general appearance of the tiled coating depends on the correctness of its implementation. First, you need to measure the working area to calculate the exact amount of material needed and its aesthetic placement. Secondly, risks are applied directly to the wall, floor or ceiling, which indicate control levels and points. For this we need:
- construction marker, crayon or pencil;
- construction tape;
- bubble or laser level;
- large and small gon (if they are not there, formulas will be required for calculations);
- chopping line - needed to draw long horizontal and vertical lines for the first row.
The end of the cord is applied to the first mark, after which the body is retracted to the second. After the leading edge is released, it unwinds automatically. This speeds up the process significantly. When laying tiles in the first row on the wall, after the line of the lower level is drawn, a limiter is installed, which will provide support for it. The way of laying, the pattern, the use of tiles of a different color - all this must be displayed.
After marking, it is necessary to dilute the glue or solution, on which the tiles will be laid. At this stage, it will come in handy:
- container for solution or glue (preferably square, so that it is convenient to pick it up with a spatula);
- a mixer for stirring the solution (if all manipulations are one-time in nature and there are no plans to repeat them in the future - it can be replaced with improvised means or a perforator with a nozzle, but this will require a lot of effort);
- medium-sized spatula for applying glue (trowel) and wide for leveling;
- construction bucket (helps to quickly throw mortar on the wall);
- notched trowel (to remove excess glue) - the thickness of the applied glue layer should correspond to the depth of the teeth - from 5 to 10 mm;
- a hammer with a rubber or nylon coating (mallet) to adjust the position of the tile and eliminate voids under it, since it is not easy to do this manually, after applying it to the glue;
- crosses (spacers) made of plastic allow you to make the seams between the rows of tiles the same.
At the masonry stage, you need to periodically, using a level, check how evenly their individual parts are located, since even small inaccuracies can affect the overall picture that will turn out as a result.
Cutting and fitting
In addition to the standard stacking method, there is also a diagonal and staggered stacking method. The last two will be the most time consuming and costly, since cutting a large number of tile elements will be required. The same applies to those cases when you need to adjust the tiles at the joints of the walls, near plumbing and other objects, where the whole tile simply does not fit.
The main tool here is a tile cutter (manual or electric). Its models differ in the size of the tiles held, their hardness, the complexity of the structure and the quality of its main part - the wheel.
Tiled or ceramic can be cut even with a glass cutter. A large amount of work can be done using a special machine.
You can cut in a straight line with a grinder. The main thing is to choose the right cutting blade correctly.… For her, as for other electrical appliances, an extension cord must be prepared in advance, since the sockets often have an inconvenient location. A round bit drill will help you cut holes for outlets and switches. And nippers will help to make the edge smoother, to make a more complex and curly cut. They can be different, depending on the size of the cut out fragment.
After laying the tiles or parts of them, you need to take out the crosses and start processing the seams. Their appearance depends on the shape of the ends of the tiles. If they are straight, then we need:
- container (in which the grout will be diluted and mixed) - it should not be large, since it is prepared in small portions as needed;
- a thin screwdriver or paint brush (to clean the seams from glue or mortar);
- a narrow rubber spatula (they, in fact, fill the inter-tile space);
- trowel or scraper for distributing the mixture;
- rags to remove traces from the tile after all work is completed (they must be changed as they become dirty);
- soft rags, detergents and a bucket of water for washing the veneer and polishing it.
You can speed up the process with:
- sponges with wide pores;
- troughs for grouting (it consists of a container with water, a grate and a device for wringing);
- roller (it is convenient for them to work if the mosaic is laid);
- masking tape (they are pasted over the edges of the tile if a composition with epoxy resin or silicone is used).
If the edges of the tiles have fillets or chamfers, you cannot use ordinary spatulas for filling, as such a seam will look too rough.In this case, special rubber devices are used. And for narrow seams - devices that have a round shape. All other procedures are similar to the processing of the more familiar to our eye - straight lines.
Removing glue and cleaning tiles from grout should be timely. Since after solidification, it will be more difficult to do this. The main thing is not to use any metal tools, so as not to accidentally damage the coating.
What is needed to replace a single element
If, for one reason or another, part of the tile is cracked, a chip or stain appears on it that cannot be removed, it can be replaced without affecting the entire wall or floor covering. First, remove the tile. For this you need:
- a chisel and hammer to break the damaged element into pieces and remove them;
- a drill with a suitable drill bit (this will simplify the process and come in handy for particularly durable coatings).
After that, the glue is completely peeled off along the entire perimeter of the recess and a new tile is laid in this place, using the devices mentioned above.
In order for the tools to serve you for a long time, they need not only careful handling, but also timely cleaning, care and proper storage.
You can learn more about the tools for laying tiles and how they work by watching the following video.