The modern home interior provides not only a convenient layout of rooms, but also an original surface finish. Today there are many building materials with which you can beautifully decorate rooms, but gypsum tiles deserve special attention. It is represented by a wide selection of colors and textures with imitation of natural stone. Therefore, thanks to this decorative element, the interior takes on an expensive and sophisticated look. Most often, gypsum tiles are used to decorate columns, fireplaces, niches and arches; it looks beautiful in the interior of kitchens, corridors and living rooms.
Installation of tiles can be done by hand, since the material is easy to install.
Features of the
Gypsum tiles are considered one of the most popular finishing materials, which are made from ecological raw materials. It not only has a beautiful appearance, but also meets all operational requirements. Therefore, wall and ceiling cladding can be performed in any room, except for rooms with high humidity and high temperatures. It is not recommended to use the material for finishing bathrooms and saunas, as it will collapse under the influence of a non-standard microclimate.
The main advantages of gypsum tiles include:
- Naturalness. Unlike decorative elements made of concrete or ceramics, the material in its composition does not contain impurities harmful to human health. For its manufacture, only gypsum binders are used.
- Good heat and sound insulation.
- Non-flammability and fire resistance. Thanks to these features, the product is perfect for cladding ovens.
- Unique structure. The material maintains a favorable microclimate in the rooms. Its production is carried out according to special technologies using molecular seal, so the product is durable and reliably withstands any mechanical stress.
- Easy to care for. Both dry and wet cleaning can be used to clean the tile surface. The only thing that is not recommended: to clean the material with hard brushes and detergents containing a concentrated chemical composition. To extend the life of the decorative finish, it is coated with a special varnish or impregnation, after which the structure of the pattern is preserved for a long time, and the tile itself becomes resistant to dirt.
- Low weight. Gypsum tiles are much lighter than natural stone, therefore, when laying them, you do not need to additionally strengthen the walls, which significantly saves time and money.
- Possibility of mounting on all types of surfaces. The material is ideal for cladding plasterboard, brick and concrete substrates.
- Easy to install. Fastening of decorative elements is carried out using special glue or cement-based solutions. To prepare the tiles for cladding, all you need to do is sort them and adjust them to the desired size.
- Affordable price. The finishing material is presented on the construction market by both domestic and foreign manufacturers. Therefore, it will not be difficult to choose the right tile model that would combine high quality and average cost.
- Huge selection of shades, textures and sizes.
Based on the above, we can say that gypsum tiles are an ideal finishing material., thanks to which you can make the design of a house or apartment fashionable and beautiful.Therefore, in recent years, walls and ceilings decorated with this decorative element are often found in a modern interior. It is also worth noting that the tiles go well with the general atmosphere of the room and furniture, filling the space with coziness and home warmth.
In addition, the embossed surface of the material looks perfect in all styles, from classic to modern.
Scope of application
The use of gypsum tiles in home design is limitless. Most often it is chosen to decorate the walls in living rooms and passers-by. An interesting option is also considered a decorative brick or stone finish, which can be used to cover an empty surface in a room, niches, as well as working walls in kitchens. The most popular type of tile application is fireplace cladding, it adds sophistication to the design and copes well with thermal insulation.
Recently, when decorating the design of rooms, pilasters and columns have been installed.In order for such structures to harmoniously fit into the overall decor of the space, stylists recommend decorating them with plaster tiles imitating stone or brick. This material also looks good on the ventilation ducts of the kitchen, it visually reduces the size of the structure and makes it a real decoration.
In order to separately emphasize the texture and color of the tile, its laying can be combined with plain wallpaper, choosing for this a range of soothing shades.
For wall decoration in the living room, it is important to provide for the presence of good lighting., since the "stone" decoration will look spectacular only with bright illumination from above and from the side, in addition, the use of the material depends on the size and shape of the room. The dark colors of the tiles will narrow the space, while the light colors, on the contrary, will visually enlarge the room. Therefore, decorating the interior in living rooms, it is necessary to select decorative elements of warm shades, giving preference to red, brown and beige colors. If the design requires "coolness", then you can install separate fragments of plaster tiles in a gray or light blue shade in the room. The decoration will also look gorgeous in the bedroom if it is done in white.
In addition, gypsum materials are also widely used in external cladding of facades, they, just like clinker tiles, are characterized by strength and endurance. This type of decoration looks interesting on balconies or loggias.
How to do it yourself?
Gypsum tiles are usually made in a production way, but there is also a technology by which you can make it yourself. To do this, it is necessary to prepare a special room, equipping it in such a way as to maintain a constant temperature and humidity.
For self-production you will need:
- container for solution preparation;
- acrylic lacquer;
- color schemes;
- spatula and brushes.
Before starting production, it is necessary to choose the right raw materials. It is recommended to give preference to G10 brand gypsum, it is considered the highest quality. Additionally, you will also have to purchase plasticizers in the form of citric acid or slaked lime. For the independent production of decorative tiles, it is important to choose its matrix. Distinguish between silicone and polyurethane matrices, while the former are cheaper and can only be used for gypsum mixtures, and the latter are considered universal.
To make slabs, you need several types of forms, therefore, in order to save money on purchase, it is recommended to make them yourself.
This process is not considered complicated and will only take one day. A stone sample is used as a basis and a matrix is calculated and prepared from it. After it has completely dried, polyurethane is poured in and the desired product is obtained.
Before pouring, the matrices are thoroughly cleaned and lubricated with mixtures containing fat. To prepare the solution, take 6 parts of gypsum, 1 part of lime, color and pure water (in a ratio of 1: 0.7). Since gypsum has the property of instantly hardening, the solution must be prepared quickly, stirring all the components with a construction mixer. The mixture is poured into molds and leveled with a spatula. It is worth noting that the mixture is prepared only for the required number of forms, it cannot be prepared with a reserve, because it will become hard and unsuitable for further use.
It is not recommended to add cement to the gypsum mixture, as it can increase the risk of mold and mildew formation on the surface of the tile during use.
All poured forms are placed on a flat surface and left to set for 20 minutes. Complete drying takes about a day and should take place in a dry room. It is also important to check that after pouring the matrix, the solution is evenly distributed, does not have air bubbles on the surface, otherwise the product may turn out to be defective.
When the gypsum is dry, it is taken out and left to dry further. Products from the dies must be removed carefully, without violating their integral structure. To speed up the drying process, it is recommended to place the future tiles in drying chambers, while avoiding direct sunlight.
Initially, gypsum tiles turn out to be white, therefore, if its finish provides for a colored design, the product needs to be painted. As a dyeing solution, as a rule, dry mixtures are used, which dissolve in liquid colors.
Painting can be done in the following ways:
- Add colorants to the solution just before pouring the molds. The result is a beautiful and homogeneous mixture.
- Paint over the matrix from the inside. This will give the tiles a natural look.
- Prepare a coloring solution and apply it to the surface of the material with a spray gun. Then the product should be additionally coated with acrylic varnish.
Preparation for styling
Gypsum tiles must be laid correctly, since not only the aesthetic appearance of the decorative facing, but also the service life of the material will depend on the technology of work. The product is versatile and can be attached to plaster, concrete, brick or drywall sheets, provided that the surface of the base is flat and free from defects. If the walls or ceiling are covered with an old finish, on which cracks and bumps have formed, then the old coating must be removed and washed well. Then putty is prepared, and its mixture is applied to the surface.
If the defects of the base are significant, then it should be carefully treated with a primer., after which a cement mortar is made, with which all cracks are filled. Then the surface must be re-primed and dried. Primer treatment is necessary in order to improve the adhesion between the tile and the wall. At the same time, its composition must be chosen special, containing components that prevent the appearance of fungus and mold.
It is advisable to priming in several layers, although such a surface dries for a long time, but then it is considered well prepared for the installation of tiles.
In the modern interior of rooms, gypsum tiles that imitate natural stone or brick are most often used. To complete the decorative finish yourself, you must first choose a tile layout and prepare a solution. It is important to pay attention to the reverse side of the material. If its surface has a relief surface, then the glue should be laid with an even trowel, and if it is even, then with a notched trowel.
The work technology is as follows:
- A thin layer of adhesive is applied to the previously prepared wall. It is distributed over the base so that 4-5 plates can be put. The decorative cladding can be laid on both drywall and putty.
- Cover the back of the tile with glue.
- The plaster elements are pressed against the wall and their position is corrected. It is recommended to use spacers to align the seams.
- Finishing is carried out in rows, each of which should be shifted by half of the tile. The cladding is carried out to the corners of the room, after which all residues of the solution at the joints are immediately removed.
Drying the walls takes no more than a day and requires constant humidity and temperature in the room. The final stage in laying gypsum tiles is considered to be its decor. To do this, the seams between the elements are filled with a special solution, the shade of which is suitable for the brick.
Interior design examples
Gypsum tiles that imitate natural stone or brick are great for decorating living rooms. This decorative material can be used to decorate not only columns and partitions, but the main wall in the room. At the same time, white tiles look unusual in the living room; they are originally combined with the ceiling of the room. In order for the color palette to create an interesting contrast, it is additionally recommended to install good lighting in the room, otherwise in the living room, instead of coziness and warmth, a feeling of cold and twilight will be created. Tiling the fireplace can also be an original idea.
As for the hallways, their area is always small, therefore, it is also best to choose tiles of light shades for decoration, they will visually expand the space and make it brighter.
There are many cladding options in the kitchen., but the most original is the placement of decorative trim on the wall near the countertop. You can also use the material to decorate the bar counter, hood or work wall near the sink, but in this case, the tiles must be additionally varnished to protect their surface from moisture. It is worth noting that the kitchen with white stone cladding looks stylish and sophisticated.
The design of the bedroom deserves special attention. To make this room always cozy and warm, it is recommended to install gypsum tiles under two shades of brick. In this case, the installation can be performed both near the bed and on the wall opposite to the sleeping place. Often in the interior of bedrooms there are decorative inserts made of white tiles, they allow you to create a feeling of romance in the room.
All the nuances of laying gypsum tiles under a brick can be seen in the video below.