Plastic things have many benefits. They are lightweight, relatively durable, withstand heat and contact with water well. However, the appearance of such products does not always satisfy people. After prolonged use, the plastic loses its attractiveness and becomes covered with scratches. And sometimes the color of the chosen item is not pleasant from the very beginning.
In many cases, the solution turns out to be high-quality paint for plastic, but when choosing, it is necessary to take into account its specific features.
Features of the
Plastic paint is different from formulations that are applied to other materials. Its application also has its own specifics. For example, plastics based on ABS and PVC must be coated with a special primer before painting, which should be purchased at a car or paint shop. The mixture is sprayed and wiped, the treated surface dries for at least 60 seconds.
Basic requirements for staining:
- thorough drying and cleaning of the surface, freeing it from lubricating oils, dust particles and so on;
- preliminary preparation is necessary in all cases, with the exception of applying acrylic water-based paint on polystyrene or ABS;
- the temperature of the plastic, the colorant and the equipment to which it is applied must be carefully balanced;
- it is advisable to heat the air to 18 degrees and above, it should be dried up to 80% or less;
- it is necessary to apply only one layer, the thickness of which is on average 60 microns;
- when drying, plastic products are kept at a temperature of 18 to 60 degrees, depending on how thick the layer is applied.
A very thin layer of paint is not very strong and does not adhere well to the surface. If you apply more than 120 microns of paint, it will dry slowly, and the decorative qualities will deteriorate sharply. The polymerization process usually takes 5 to 7 days. However, with insufficient temperature, solid humidity and increased layer thickness, it may take several weeks.
Scope of application
Almost any plastic product can be painted with special dye mixtures. PVC window sills and windows are covered with some compounds, fiberglass and other plastics - completely different. PVC is often treated with polyurethane-acrylic water-based paint. It does not give a matte effect and performs well even on large areas.
The same paints and varnishes will come in handy if you need to process:
- sandwich panel;
- rigid PVC;
- construction profiles;
- doors and window frames.
Acrylic enamel on water (polyurethane-acrylic paint) in most cases has two basic components. In addition to the dye itself, a hardener is included in the composition, thanks to which the mixture becomes resistant to mechanical and chemical destructive factors. Good curing compounds are colorless and odorless themselves.
In addition, they give the paint and varnish material and other valuable properties:
- hiding power;
- decent adhesion;
- resistance to ultraviolet rays.
Polyurethane paint it is highly durable. It is formed by polyurethane components with the addition of acrylates. This paint and varnish material solves two important tasks - it replaces both the primer and the coloring composition. However, priming can be dispensed with only if the surface is not too dirty.
Polyurethane paint is a wear-resistant substance that allows it to cover even large areas of plastic products. The waterproof film increases the hardness of plastic items without compromising their firmness or elasticity. The surfaces do not stick to each other after drying and retain their original attractiveness for a long time.
Regularly used items (cordless phone, glasses case, toys, flashlights, tool handles) cover matte dye soft-toch… With its help, a pleasant tactile effect is achieved. Another important advantage is the intense absorption of sound and light. In most cases, soft-dot is made black, but chemists have learned to release brighter, more saturated tones.
Vinyl paint in terms of plastic, it is characterized by increased environmental friendliness, it is relatively inexpensive. One unpleasant circumstance prevents its widespread use - low resistance to destructive influences. A short contact with water or wind is enough for the plastic structure to regain its unattractive appearance.
Foamed rubber products must have three qualities: resistance to ultraviolet radiation, moisture and slight mechanical damage. These "opponents" are the most dangerous for any thermal insulation, as well as other insulating structures. Spray treatment allows the paint to adhere better to the surface, no matter which concentrate is chosen.
None of the widely used paint can impart antistatic properties to objects. As a result, they are ensured by applying additional preparations after staining the plastic.
Design and colors
It would be too difficult to consider all the existing options for plastic products and conclude which color and design is best for them. Therefore, it is worth paying attention to PVC-based doors and windows, which are often found in residential buildings.
When choosing a painting option, it is advisable to focus on the general style of the structure. If it is necessary to decorate a house in the Russian style, it is worth maintaining a balance between the colors of windows, doors and the tone of the roof. Natural shades will be appropriate here. Dark brown paint can be used. It perfectly masks rain streaks and street dirt.
Light colors (beige, yellow, bluish, orange) are recommended to be used only in combination with similar roofing colors.
Minimalistic houses do not go well with various decorative delights; it is most correct to use discreet tones here. If there is a desire to create a high-quality and attractive coating, it is worth using a chrome finish.
Modern manufacturers have learned to create beautiful sparkling and iridescent dyes. Gold paint looks elegant and chic, sometimes even somewhat pompous. Mirror paint gives a very attractive chrome-plated surface effect. The film formed by such a composition is relatively thin, but at the same time as strong and resistant to external influences as possible. For obvious reasons, anti-corrosion properties are not very important here, however, protection against negative atmospheric phenomena is very much appreciated.
Matte soft-toch paint is intended primarily for those objects that are constantly in contact with human hands. It is pleasant to touch them, a feeling of velvety and warmth is created. The color can be anything - black, silver, bronze, and so on.
Glossy black paint is considered by most car owners to be great for car interiors.
Embossed (structural) paint is recommended for coating:
- boxes of external mirrors;
- parts of salons.
It effectively tackles any visual imperfections, including scuffs and cracks. The dye is able to reconstruct the original appearance of plastic, give it a characteristic roughness and hide minor damage.
It is possible to apply a layer of paintwork materials, even without special skills and experience in such work. Fast drying allows you to appreciate all the attractiveness of the textured surface in a matter of minutes. The use of an additional layer of varnish is not required.
Unlike cars, where nothing should distract the driver from the road and instrument readings, any (silver or even bright) tones can be used at home. You just need to maintain a balance between different shades of the environment, adhere to the selected color temperature (cold or warm).
It is worth focusing on personal taste, and on how well a certain solution fits into a particular interior. For instance, painting "silver" is not always appropriate… By evaluating the environment in which the plastic product will be used, you can eliminate mistakes when choosing a tonality and texture.
Soft-toch is ideal for finishing vehicle interiors, because it is resistant to wear and tear, can be easily applied even on vertical surfaces, and helps to smooth out sharp corners. Compositions of the soft-toch category can be used to paint not only plastic. However, in this case, a careful selection of a primer will be required that matches the specific substrate.
It is unacceptable to use solutions with vitriol as a primer, because when in contact with acrylic paints, this component greatly weakens their positive qualities and interferes with adhesion.
Aerosol cans can be used no matter how great your painting skills are. This dyeing method is very convenient. At the same time, the choice of colors is huge.
Aerosol colorants can also be supplied in soft-to-teat format. The advantages of using them are reliable overlapping of small deformations and the ability to form a truly original decor. On the other hand, no one forbids you to use monadic enamel to create a bright gloss.
Additional advantages of aerosols are:
- the ability to combine with other painting tools;
- ease of use;
- the ability to simulate any kind of surfaces;
- long period of preservation of color brightness.
- Also, the remaining unused aerosol paint can be stored inside the container for a long time. The application of the dye over a large area in this way is more economical than using other options. In addition, it is difficult to find a better way to overlap the previous layer.
- During operation, the aerosol can should be kept at a distance of 25 - 30 cm from the surface. It is important to constantly move your hand without stopping anywhere. Otherwise, not too graceful streaks may appear, which will spoil the appearance of the surface. It is worth considering that painting by spraying occurs in two layers, so the paint consumption may be higher than the calculated one. When choosing a dye, it should be borne in mind that aerosols are not suitable for mixing colors and creating a clear line between painted and unpainted space.
- It is unacceptable to use acetone-based mixtures as paint for plastics. They are inexpensive, but the risk of damage to the product is too great.
- It is important to remember that polystyrene, polyethylene, polycarbonate and polypropylene are not stained with any compounds. You shouldn't even try to find paint for them.
- Liquid plastic looks like paint. It is considered universal, but before using it, it is necessary to thoroughly study the composition, chemical properties and find out whether the mixture is suitable for a specific purpose.
- If your own knowledge and skills are not enough to carry out high-quality work, or an attempt to paint the plastic did not lead to anything, you should contact the specialists for advice, and not continue independent experiments.
How to paint the plastic part correctly, see the next video.