Rubber paint is a relatively new type of paints and varnishes on the building materials market. Such material has already gained popularity due to its excellent technical characteristics and a wide range of applications. The paintwork is suitable for interior and exterior use and can be easily applied to most types of materials.
What it is?
Rubber paint is a type of paint and varnish product that is made on the basis of acrylic and water. The product does not contain solvents, which means that the paint is safe and environmentally friendly. Finishing work can be carried out in an unventilated room, since the paintwork is odorless. Rubber paint got its name from the elastic film that forms after drying and visually looks soft.
Typically, this material includes the following components:
- water, which most often makes up five percent of the total, This component is used as a solvent;
- acrylic latex is essential for a durable and flexible coating;
- the organic solvent coalescent acts as a temporary plasticizer and promotes film formation;
- antifreeze makes the coating resistant to low temperatures;
- antiseptic substances ensure long-term preservation of the material, and also prevent fungal formations;
- special additives that affect the properties and application of the paintwork.
Such material must be stored at a temperature of at least zero degrees… A short exposure to low temperatures (at least minus twenty degrees) during the transportation of material is considered acceptable. In case of freezing of the dye mixture, it must be kept in a heated room at a temperature of 25 degrees Celsius for 24 hours. More detailed storage recommendations can be found in the instructions for the material.
Features of the
Like all paints and varnishes, rubber paint has its own advantages and disadvantages. Due to its complex composition, rubber paint has many unique properties. Let's highlight the main advantages of such material:
- Good level of adhesion. Such a coating easily applies to most types of materials: wood, drywall, metal, aerated concrete, brick and many others. It is worth noting that even galvanized steel sheets can be coated with rubber paint when other paints and varnishes flow from such material.
- The operating temperature range of such a coating is from -50 to +60 degrees Celsius.
- Resistant to atmospheric precipitation.
- Good vapor permeability. This quality is necessary for the processing of wood products.
- Short drying time. Within a couple of hours at a temperature of at least 20 degrees, even the thickest layer of paintwork will dry out.
- After the paint dries, a non-slippery surface is formed, which makes it possible to use such material for porch steps or floors.
- Ease of application.
- Long service life of the coating, which can be up to ten years.
- Health safety. The composition of the paint and varnish product does not include harmful substances.
- High coating strength.
The elastic film that forms after the material dries is able to stretch up to 400 percent. Due to this property, cracks do not form on the paintwork. In addition, this material is able to protect the very surface on which it was applied from cracks.
The rubber paint, applied in several layers, perfectly protects products from rust formation, the spread of microorganisms and moisture. In addition to the significant advantages of paintwork, this material has its drawbacks. Let's consider the main disadvantages:
- Paint can peel off the surface to be treated if it has not been properly prepared.
- Despite being abrasion resistant, certain areas of the paintwork can deteriorate over time. It is quite easy to eliminate such a defect: you need to cover the area with the peeled coating with a new layer of paint.
- The paintwork is matte and has no gloss.
Rubber paint from different manufacturers may differ in color, composition, purpose, and form of release. According to the field of application, the following types of coverage can be distinguished:
- Compositions for wood processing. They must necessarily contain substances that prevent rotting and the formation of fungus.
- A special wear-resistant spray paint is produced for cars.
- For interior work.
- For external repair work, mixtures that are extremely resistant to adverse operating conditions are produced.
Vehicle spray paint can be applied to the old paint coat. Beforehand, you just need to carefully prepare the surface by cleaning and degreasing it. The elastic film protects the car from scratches and other defects that can form from tree branches, small stones or precipitation. As a result of external factors, the rubberized coating can be damaged, but a new coat of paint can easily be applied to the damaged area.
Liquid rubber can cover more than just the outside of the vehicle. Such an aerosol is also used for painting rims and some interior elements. The paint is easy to replace: the old coating can be easily removed without leaving any stains on the surface.
When carrying out external repairs, paintwork is used to decorate residential and industrial premises, as well as as a coating for some structures. The main areas of application of this material outside the premises:
- sports facilities;
- building facades;
- for the roof of the roof;
- garden paths;
- as a waterproofing coating on the surfaces of artificial reservoirs and swimming pools;
- when carrying out road works for marking on asphalt.
Rubber paint can be used to treat a wide variety of surfaces, both indoors and outdoors. Suitable materials for this:
- all types of aerated concrete;
- asbestos-cement sheets;
- Fiberboard, chipboard, DSP, MDF;
- galvanized sheets;
- paving slabs.
Rubber-based paint for metal perfectly protects the surface from corrosion. However, it is worth remembering that such a paint and varnish product should not be applied over rust.
The rusty surface must first be thoroughly cleaned. The mixture for metal surfaces can be applied to some car parts. For these purposes, manufacturers produce a separate type of paint coating.
Rubber paint reliably protects wood structures from moisture and precipitation. Such a coating is perfect for finishing wooden objects that are located on the street.
The produced rubber paint differs in volume, which depends on the container. This coating is available in the following packaging:
- in spray cans;
- in a bucket;
- in the bank.
The volume of paint in cans is usually 325, 390 or 450 ml. Canned mixes are available in volumes of 1, 3, 5 or 6 kilograms. In a bucket, the mass of the solution can be 12, 14 or 40 kilograms.
In addition to white and black paint, modern manufacturers produce material in many bright colors. The number of colors in a line of rubber paint depends on the manufacturer and generally ranges from 5 to 17 shades. Some manufacturers can make the desired tone to order or produce colors for white mixtures.
Mixes with unusual color effects are produced for car painting. Available in both matte and glossy finishes. There are mixtures with a metallic effect and a luminous effect with the addition of crumbs.
Which one is better to choose?
Select rubber paint according to the application and the material of the surface to which it will be applied. There are formulations with the addition of certain components that improve the technical characteristics of the paint and varnish material. When choosing a coating, you should pay attention to the following factors:
- the purpose of the work being carried out (internal or external);
- composition of the paint and varnish product;
- material of the treated surface;
- coating color;
- product manufacturer;
- the appointment of the premises in which the repair work will be carried out.
Due to its excellent moisture resistance, the rubber paintwork material can be used for external decoration, as well as in rooms with high levels of humidity (for example, for a bathroom).
For finishing wet rooms and wooden surfaces, you should choose a mixture that contains antiseptic components, which will prevent the formation of fungus. In the bathroom, you can paint the walls and ceiling instead of laying on the surface of the tiles. In addition, the coating can be applied directly to the tiles.
For painting the roof, it is better to choose mixtures with a high content of antifreeze. Rubber paints with a high latex content should be applied to the concrete surface. For the processing of car parts, special spray paint is produced in cans.
Tips & Tricks
To prevent the rubber paint from peeling off after application, the surface of any material must be well prepared before painting. On the basis, it is advisable to clean the old finishing coating, as well as remove dust, dirt, rust, mold and other types of contamination.
In addition, many materials require surface degreasing. If the paint will be applied to a surface with a porous structure, the structure must be pre-treated with a primer. Concrete surfaces must be primed.
For a metal roof, before painting, it is necessary to carry out a series of procedures for thorough cleaning from rust and degreasing the surface. Before carrying out repair work, the tree must be sanded and treated with an antiseptic.
It is necessary to apply the paint and varnish product on a cleaned and degreased base in two or three thin layers. Before applying a new coat, it is advisable that the previous coat is completely dry.
Repair work must be carried out at a temperature of at least 5 degrees Celsius. At the same time, the air humidity should not exceed 80 percent. It is also not recommended to carry out finishing work in conditions of exposure to direct sunlight on the surface to be treated.… When painting products, the paint must be periodically mixed until a uniform consistency.
The mixture can be applied to various structures and surfaces using a paint brush or roller. Some manufacturers produce the material in aerosol cans, which in certain cases makes the application process even easier.
Upon completion of the painting work, do not forget about the care of the coating. You can use the following guidelines:
- Check the surface for defects. In case of peeling paint or damage to the coating, a new layer of paint and varnish material must be applied to the problem area.
- The coating can be cleaned only after the paint dries well and settles on the surface. It is recommended to wait a week after applying the paint and varnish material.
- Do not use aggressive detergents and solvents for cleaning. You can clean the surface with soapy water.
Manufacturers and reviews
Before deciding on one or another liquid rubber, you should familiarize yourself with popular manufacturers and reviews of their products. This approach will allow you to choose the best option for a paint and varnish material that is suitable in terms of price and quality.
Russian company Rubber paint manufactures products for car tuning. The main direction in the production of this company is the manufacture of rubber paint for vehicles. Liquid rubber Rubber Paint is of low cost and good quality. All products of this company have corresponding quality certificates.
According to the employees of many car services, Rubber Paint liquid rubber for cars is one of the best on the Russian market. The positive properties of the product include:
- ease of application;
- good quality at a low price;
- a wide range of shades;
- pleasant to the touch coating, reminiscent of soft rubber;
- does not form smudges on the surface;
- ease of dismantling;
- resistance to temperature extremes.
But this product still has a small amount of negative reviews. Buyers note the following disadvantages of coverage:
- unpleasant odor;
- streaks remain after washing the surface at a car wash;
- high sensitivity to pollution;
- poor resistance to even minor mechanical stress.
Firm "NPP Rogneda" is a large Russian manufacturer of building materials. The company has a research base and a high-tech production complex. For the manufacture of materials, imported high quality components are used. The production technology is regularly updated.
NPP Rogneda "produces rubber paint" Dali " for finishing exterior walls, plinths and roofs. The paintwork is not only decorative, but also protective. This product can also be used to paint surfaces in rooms with high humidity levels.
This material has mostly positive customer reviews. The following advantages of the coating are distinguished:
- UV resistance;
- does not fade and does not deteriorate under the influence of direct sunlight;
- resistance to temperature range from -40 to +40 degrees.
The disadvantages of this material include a small number of colors in which the paint is produced. This problem can be solved by adding color.
Firm "Prom S" is engaged in the production of paints and varnishes and building materials. The paints of this company are fire resistant. Each product has a corresponding quality certificate.
The rubber paint of the Prom S company is produced under the Promcolor brand. This coating is ideal for almost any material, as well as for outdoor renovations. Liquid rubber "Promcolor" has high quality and good technical characteristics. Buyers note the following advantages of this product:
- adheres well to the surface;
- creates a beautiful finish;
- has no smell;
- ease of application;
- dries quickly.
In addition to the positive characteristics, some buyers also identified negative qualities of the material. The disadvantages of Promkolor paint include:
- burnout under the influence of direct sunlight;
- exfoliates in some areas;
- liquid consistency.
In the modern market of paints and varnishes, liquid rubber of the following manufacturers is also popular: Tikkurila, Jassar, Optimist, Profilux, Super Decor. Buyers note the good quality of the products of these manufacturers, the acceptable cost and compliance with the declared characteristics.
How to remove rubber paint from a car, see the next video.