Water-based acrylic paints are the materials that modern consumers choose for a wide variety of surfaces. They are created on the basis of an aqueous dispersion of copolymers. Such coloring compositions are distinguished by positive properties and excellent technical characteristics. This article discusses their distinctive features, features of use.
Water-dispersive acrylic paints and varnishes are environmentally friendly, because they are diluted exclusively with water. They do not contain organic solvents. Fillers of water-dispersion paints are marble flour, chalk, talc, as well as binders that give the coating strength, pigments (dyes). Many people confuse acrylic paint with acrylate paint, but such coloring compositions differ in composition.
In materials based on acrylic, impurities and additives are not used, in acrylate varieties there are special dispersions. This difference should be taken into account when choosing a suitable coloring composition.
Acrylic based paints have many benefits. Let's consider the main advantages of such materials.
- Increased abrasion resistance, long service life. Many coatings last up to a quarter of a century, while the surface does not lose its attractive appearance.
- Such compounds can be used for interior and exterior decoration.
- The coatings have good adhesion and are suitable for a wide variety of surfaces: primed, plasterboard, wood, brick, concrete. They can be applied to plaster.
- It is quite easy to apply paints on an acrylic basis and even a beginner can do it. This can be done without the use of expensive devices and professional skills.
- These coloring compositions are distinguished by fire safety, resistance to temperature extremes. They do not crack in the cold.
- Such a coating does not react to ultraviolet radiation, so it will remain bright for a long time.
- Acrylic based formulations allow air to circulate naturally. Mold does not appear on the premises because the surfaces breathe.
- After curing, the acrylic film becomes resistant to liquid. For this reason, these paints and varnishes can be used in kitchens and bathrooms. The coating is easy to clean.
- Polyacrylic paint has good hiding power.
- Drying time of the coating is from half an hour to several hours. You don't have to wait long to apply the next layer.
When the fresh coating dries, only water evaporates. This interior paint does not have an unpleasant odor.
It is possible to single out certain factors that in some cases become obstacles when using water-dispersion paints and varnishes based on acrylic. Do not apply coloring formulations under certain conditions. Let's designate the main ones.
- Strong wind. Due to strong gusts, the coating will dry unevenly, and unevenness will appear on the surface.
- Too high humidity… It should not exceed 80%, otherwise there will be no evaporation of the liquid.
- Precipitation (even insignificant). Fresh coating should not be exposed to them for at least 24 hours.
- Exposure to the scorching sun… Due to the sun's rays, the paint will be unevenly distributed over the base, irregularities, spots, stripes will appear.
- The base protecting film will not be able to form, if the temperature is too low… Cracks will appear in the coating.
Scope of use
Such paints and varnishes are often used to paint facade walls. This is a great option for painting a building in an urban setting. In cities, the atmosphere is polluted, and acrylic coatings are distinguished by their ability to repel pollution. Such coloring compositions well protect the base from rust. This is an important advantage for coatings that are used for exterior decoration.
In order for the coloring compositions to prevent the occurrence of mold and mildew, antiseptics are added to them. Such paints and varnishes are well suited for use in rooms with high humidity. Acrylic based paints can also be applied to floors. However, this should only be done if the flooring is not subjected to significant loads.
How to choose?
To find a paint and varnish material that turns out to be ideal in a particular situation, you can read consumer reviews on websites, listen to the recommendations of specialists. Make sure that all required certifications are included with the product. Otherwise, you may end up with poor quality material. It is not recommended to stop choosing colored coatings.
High-quality water-dispersible acrylic dyes are usually white. Whiteness is an indicator of the durability and reliability of the paint and varnish material. Some unscrupulous manufacturers who add color to this paint try to hide its flaws in this way.
It is better to get the desired color on your own after making a purchase. In any case, the paint will have to be diluted with water. You will be able to add color while carrying out this process.
How to work with the material?
It is quite easy to use an acrylic water-dispersion paint and varnish material. In order for the result at the end of finishing work to be flawless, you need to take care of thorough preparation of the base before applying paint. The complexity of such processes depends on the state of the surface. If she does not need preparation, you will have to stock up on patience and perseverance.
First you need to remove dirt, thoroughly wash the surface. If there is old paint material (eg bubbles or cracks), clean it with a scraper or trowel. If the case is especially difficult (for example, an oil-based paint has been applied to the concrete surface), clean the coating with a wire brush, drill, or hair dryer. You can also purchase an optional remover to help remove old material from the substrate faster and easier.
Putty should be applied if there are defects on the surface (potholes, chips, cracks). When the finish is dry, remove any unevenness using a fine-grained emery cloth. Then remove all dust from the surface, apply a primer to it. It is better to choose a primer with an antiseptic: it will prevent the formation of mold. Look for a liquid with a higher penetrating power: it will make the surface structure uniform.
Application of the coloring composition
The most suitable device is a spray gun: with its help, water-dispersion acrylic paints and varnishes can be applied as easily and quickly as possible. However, you can easily choose simpler tools. To apply the coloring composition, you will need to prepare:
- masking tape;
- roller, brushes;
- tray for paint.
To protect areas that you do not intend to process from paint ingress (or to delimit areas that will be painted in different shades), apply adhesive tape made of paper. First you need to paint over hard-to-reach areas (joints, corners).It is better to use a comfortable brush for this. Then you can move on to using the roller. Before this, his fur coat should be thoroughly impregnated with paint and varnish material.
Remember that you must first remove excess paint from the tool. To do this, roll the roller on the tray (this is especially convenient if it has a ribbed surface). When applying paint and varnish material, roll from right to left, from top to bottom. So the first layer will turn out to be of high quality and uniform. Dry completely before applying the next coat. The second time, the staining will be carried out much faster, and the dye composition will be needed much less.
In order for the color to turn out to be saturated, uniform, usually two layers of paint are enough. If you want, you can apply the third one. You can make the flooring more interesting with additional decor. For this, you can use various devices, including stencils, textured rollers.
Security and storage
It is recommended to use paints and varnishes in goggles. Before work, you need to apply a protective cream to your hands and face. The considered coloring compositions are among the safest for human health. However, you should not forget about basic precautions.
Water-borne acrylic paints should be stored at a fairly high temperature. Such materials are not suitable for long-term storage in frost (the maximum shelf life under such conditions is one month). It is necessary to learn more about the exact conditions in which the container with the dye composition should be stored. If the paint is in the wrong place, over time it will become thicker, its properties will deteriorate significantly.
The use of acrylic water-dispersion dyes is a good solution for the renovation of the facade. They allow you to make the interior more interesting, to translate creative ideas into reality. However, you need to select the right material as carefully as possible: you should give preference to manufacturers who have won the trust of consumers.
First, make sure that the room is suitable for storing such paint: focus on the illumination, humidity level, temperature regime.
For instructions on using acrylic paints, see the following video.