Roller shutters have become part of our life. This technology was originally used for window blinds. Then gate manufacturers took it into service, starting to produce roller shutters. They will be the object of detailed study in this article.
Features of the device
Rolling shutters are compact designs with an original design. It is these characteristics that are the hallmark of the gate, which can be rolled up and hidden in a box. The design is based on lifting the roller shutters to the ceiling and placing them in a special box. Space saving is an important feature for roller shutters. The space around the structure does not turn out to be congested.
Roller shutter gates structure consists of the following elements:
- canvas, which is created from lamellas (roller shutter profiles);
- a pair of vertical guide rails;
- take-up shaft, which is necessary for winding the lamellar sheet;
- the box in which the rolled lamellas are stored serves as protection and gives the structure completeness, it can be semicircular or rectangular;
- mechanical or automatic drive;
- crossbar or automatic locks;
- the unlocking lever is present only on doors with an electric drive, it allows you to open the garage at the moment of power failure.
This is what the basic design looks like. Many manufacturers offer the option to expand it for a fee. The list of additional elements looks like this:
- remote control device;
- alarm against theft, burglary and fire;
- silicone or rubber seals;
- a heating system that will quickly remove icing and ensure trouble-free operation in winter.
Adding these components allows you to significantly expand the functionality of the doors, increase their performance and make operation even more comfortable and safe.
Separately, it is worth dwelling on the features of the design device:
- the canvas is assembled from horizontally located lamellas, which can be created from different materials (steel, aluminum);
- guides and traction springs are responsible for the movement of the lamellas;
- the closing process can be carried out manually or using an automatic drive;
- at the extreme point, the locking device is activated.
At first glance, the gate arrangement is extremely simple and does not provide for any special difficulties. But they are there and appear during installation. The location of the box and the method of its fastening are of great importance. There are several installation options for roller shutter gates:
- Overhead method installation is considered the most affordable for independent work. A shaft and guides are attached above the opening. Interior or exterior can be selected.
- Internal option provides for embedding the structure into the wall. This method is universal, since it allows you to preserve the architectural component of the object, and the structure can be installed in any opening. All components of the structure (drive, rollers, runners, automation) are reliably protected from the influence of atmospheric precipitation.
- In case of wall-mounted installation the gate becomes an object of decorative design of the object. During the installation process, a new headroom is created, which is located 40 cm below the level of the main one.
Such structures can be installed not only for garages and industrial premises. Entrance options for roller shutters are also popular, relevant and easy to use.
Advantages and disadvantages
Roller shutter gates are characterized by both positive and negative aspects. The first, of course, are more, moreover, they are more significant than negative ones. This circumstance explains the popularity of designs, which extends not only to private facilities, but to commercial and even industrial ones. Advantages of roller shutters:
- Compactness is especially pronounced in comparison with swing structures. On average, it is possible to save about 2 meters of territory due to the installation of roller shutters.
- Possibility of installation on large openings with non-standard dimensions.
- Simple operation and unassuming care make the choice of such a fence especially relevant for busy people with a limited amount of free time. The maintenance process does not require the use of lubricants and paints.
- Simple installation is within the power of any user, even without the slightest experience in this area. This advantage allows you to save a decent amount, because specialists write out considerable bills for installation.
- Easy repair, during which only damaged lamellas can be replaced. This is done in an elementary way and requires little time.
- Aesthetic appearance, modern design, laconic execution - roller shutters will perfectly fit into any landscape of the site. A variety of color variations are offered to the user's attention, and it is even possible to order a design in a unique color. Manufacturers have learned to recreate even textures.
- Affordable cost, which seems even less significant against the background of such a list of advantages.
- Durability and excellent corrosion protection.
- Protection against external factors (noise, dust) is a characteristic characteristic of roller shutters made of any material.
- High burglar resistance is an important characteristic for any gate. In our case, this indicator is at a sufficient level so that we can call roller shutters reliable and safe. Of course, they are far from burglary resistance of steel armored gates, but the cost is also appropriate.
The disadvantages are several times less than the advantages, but still they are:
- The dimensions of roller shutters are limited, although the doors can be installed on large openings with non-standard dimensions. The size limits are different for different materials. Steel profiles can be installed on openings with a width of no more than 7 m. At the same time, the gate area should not exceed 49 m². In the case of aluminum profiles, the width is reduced to 6 m and the maximum area is only 14 m².
- Rolling shutters can be installed exclusively in unheated garages. Cold air can easily penetrate through the roller shutters, so the heating system will not be of much use.
- The door is easy to ice, which makes it difficult to work in low temperatures.
This disadvantage can be neutralized by using a special spray or installing an expensive heating system.
The roller shutter gates market is developing rapidly. Accordingly, new types of designs appear. Before the design is chosen, you need to get at least a little familiar with the existing types:
- Sectional lifting roller shutters can consist of sandwich panels or individual panels, which are connected by means of hinge hinges. For movement, guides and a lifting mechanism are used. These roller shutters are produced in widths from 2085 mm to 3085 mm. The height ranges from 2250 to 350 mm.
Up-and-over gates represented by a solid sheet, for the production of which stainless steel is used. The canvas is installed on a frame frame; in most cases, the structure is equipped with an electric drive. They do not require additional space in the room. The surface can be decorated at the discretion of the user
Recoil equipped with rollers that are responsible for moving the sash to the side. Free space is required to work. Such structures belong to a high price category, but they are reliable, durable and burglar-resistant
Roller shutters or roller shuttersand roller shutters are becoming more and more popular every year. They are the most affordable, convenient, easy to install and operate.
Roller shutters, in turn, are divided into several categories:
- Automatic the gate is powered by an electric drive. Such structures are not cheap, but the user gets maximum comfort during operation. Control is carried out using a panel or remote control with a remote operating principle. In the absence of electricity, such high-speed gates are opened manually.
- Mechanical are several times cheaper, but the weight of all blinds should not exceed 30 kg. This is the maximum rate at which the system will function normally.
- Goal with a low level of protection belong to the class P1-P2 … They are also called classic or plumbing. When installing such structures, the room will be protected from noise and dust, but nothing more.
- The average level of protection is class P3-P5. Such gates are made of steel profiles, they are strong and reliable, burglar-resistant, often chosen for households.
- Louvers with a high level of protection belong to the P6-P8 class. It is a bulletproof, fireproof gate made of armored material. Needless to say, how expensive they are?
For roller shutters, a large number of different materials are used, which allows you to choose the design to your taste and within the budget. A lot depends on the chosen material.
Steel gates are expensive, but reliable. In this case, the end justifies the means. High durability, excellent burglary protection and sound insulation are features worth paying for.
Low-cost metal structures are created from aluminum profiles. They look attractive, although the protective properties are lower than in steel. Light weight, resistance to corrosion and moisture are the characteristics that make this type of structure attractive. Aluminum and steel gates are outdoor structures. Other materials are used for indoor installation.
PVC is a popular material that has found many uses in the modern world. Doors made of polyvinyl chloride are flexible, soft, perfectly keep their shape, and demonstrate high efficiency of energy saving. These transparent gates are mainly used in industrial, commercial and warehouse facilities.
Film doors are available in several varieties, but high-speed roll-up models belong to roller shutters.
We examined the types of material that are used to make the outer side of the canvas. Internal filling is presented in three varieties:
- Soft foam filler created from polyurethane foam (PPU). It is located between the partitions, which makes it possible to achieve high strength and give the structure the necessary rigidity. You can find roller shutters with soft filling by the AG / 77 marking.
- Solid foam filler - it is also polyurethane foam (PUF), which has the designation AG / 77H. Such structures are capable of withstanding severe loads without deformation of the web. In both cases, the filler must be evenly distributed over the entire area, otherwise it will not be possible to achieve high structural strength.
- The third type has no filler, but the canvas in this case is created from extruded roller shutter profiles. Such gates are tough and difficult to break. The profiles have thick walls and are equipped with a transverse stiffener.
Many manufacturers of roller shutter gates offer custom-made structures. It's not just about color and texture, but also about sizes. In this case, it is possible to manufacture arched doors and models for original openings. This service is not cheap. If you want to save money, you must order the gate of standard sizes:
- width varies from 2000 to 6000 mm;
- the height starts from 1000 and reaches 5000 mm;
- the profile width in most cases is presented in four options: 56, 58, 77 and 84 mm.
The width can be chosen different, but it is these options that are most relevant. The opening is often equipped with a wicket. It is convenient and practical.
Such a moment must be taken into account in advance so that there are no difficulties with the installation of the gate.
It will be difficult for an inexperienced user to choose a worthy manufacturer. After analyzing the market and studying the reviews, one can single out worthy manufacturers whose products deserve respect and attention.
Hormann - a company from Germany that produces high quality products and provides a 10-year warranty. The price of these gates is high, but the reliability is also at an appropriate level. Numerous international certifications are proof of this.
DoorHan is a domestic manufacturer. These products belong to the economy class, although their reliability and quality are surprisingly high. Consumers of the CIS countries and China respect and often choose DoorHan.
Alutech Is an international company with a developed network of representative offices and production facilities. An extensive assortment, which consists not only of roller shutters, modern technologies, reasonable cost, ample opportunities for individual orders - all conditions have been created for the user.
Ryterna Is a Lithuanian manufacturer, whose popularity is on the same level as Alutech. The products of this brand are known all over the world, but the leadership remains with the company at the European level. The assortment includes not only roller shutter gates, but also designs of other types. Ryterna manufactures gates for private buildings and industrial models, custom-made possible.
The assortment includes budget proposals and luxury models, which allows each user to find a worthy option for themselves. The company is constantly developing new technologies, looking for alternative solutions and improving its products.
Less well known to the Russian user is the company Kruzik from the Czech Republic. If you come across products of this brand, you can safely stop the choice on it. You will definitely not have to regret it in the future. The price of Czech gates is lower than that of German ones, and the quality is at a decent level. In this case, you will have to pay significantly less for the brand.
In a word, a worthy alternative that allows you to save some amount of money without sacrificing performance.
Please note that there are no Chinese manufacturers here, although their products were also studied in the formation of the review. If the gate is bought for long-term operation and in the future you do not plan to constantly repair it, then buying Chinese products turns out to be unjustified.
The only thing that you can pay attention to is automation from the Chinese company AN-Motors. The company works closely with Alutech. All other manufacturers of Chinese origin are not credible.
Which one is better to choose?
Remote opening gate is the preferred option. It is better to pay more now than in the future to reproach yourself for a rash act and unreasonable frugality. The ability to open the gate without having to leave the car is not a luxury, but a high level of comfort.
Such expenses will quickly pay off and in the future you will never regret your choice.
A low price is typical for low-quality structures that will often fail, periodically require repair and very careful use. Moreover, such gates will not be able to provide a sufficient level of security for the property.
The choice of the tire is one of the important parameters that should be paid attention to.… There are several varieties, each with different uses. Standard tires are installed in basic systems, reinforced ones are necessary in anti-vandal structures. Twin tires allow to reduce the cost of the system when combining several roller shutters. Corner options help out when installing doors in openings with external thermal insulation.
Also, some manufacturers, for example, Alutech, equip guides with special inserts that make the blade move smoothly and provide protection from dust. If there are end caps on the tires, the appearance of the structure is more aesthetic and harmonious.
It is not always advisable to choose warm gates, but in some cases they are simply necessary. Will the garage be heated? Is it used exclusively for parking or is it also a work space? How will the gate icing problem be solved? Having answered these questions, it will be possible to make the right decision regarding the purchase of a warm gate.
Choosing a way to lock the gate is another important point. The deadbolt lock, as well as the manual deadbolt, provides locking in the lowest position. The first option allows the key to be placed inside or outside, while in the second option, only the internal location of the valve is possible. Auto lock provides automatic locking in the lowest position. The locking bolt allows you to automatically lock gates equipped with a crank drive or electronic.
For a garage, the gates of which will be located outside the yard, reliable protection from intruders is necessary. You cannot save, because we are talking about the safety of property.
Be sure to choose a steel gate. For a garage located within the yard, you can buy an aluminum door with a lower cost and burglar resistance.
Once the gate has been selected and installed, it must be ensured that it is properly operated. Compliance with simple rules will extend the service life, reduce maintenance costs and reduce the likelihood of breakdowns, which will require complex or expensive repairs. What should be the operation of roller shutter gates:
- the structure must be kept clean, all contaminants are removed immediately by appropriate methods and means;
- in winter, the adhesion of dirt, ice and snow is unacceptable, even if the gate is not used for a long time;
- periodically the rollers are lubricated with grease. The application of this agent to the guides is prohibited;
- in rooms with high humidity, it is necessary to install an anti-corrosion kit, the torsion shaft is also covered with a casing, a protective curtain is located from the gate and the hood at a distance of 700 mm;
- in the event of a breakdown of one of the parts, the operation of the device is prohibited. You need to immediately contact the manufacturer for warranty repairs or to restore the structure's functionality yourself.
- the canvas should not succumb to shocks, the closing / opening process should be free, without obstacles;
- the half-open position is not very good, especially if it is prolonged. One should try to avoid such situations;
- when the wicket is open, the curtain must not be raised / lowered; first we close the gate, then we use the gate;
- to adjust the design, it is advisable to invite specialists. Otherwise, the service life can be significantly reduced.
With self-adjustment, mistakes can be made that no one will even know about until the structure fails.
At all times, people have tried to protect their home and territory from strangers. Now it has become even easier with roller shutters.
How to choose a roller shutter gate, see the next video.