Nowadays, there are a huge number of paints that can be selected for a wide variety of materials. In the last ten years, decorative coatings have been in great demand, among them the hammer effect paint. It is not cheap, but it has a number of unique properties that should be considered in more detail.
What it is?
Hammer paint is ideal for decorating metal products. It gives an aesthetically pleasing look even to rusty parts. It is difficult to find more effective protection against the harmful effects of moisture and temperature extremes.
Hammer paint is based on synthetic resins, as well as metal additives; this explains the good resistance to environmental influences. Also add to the hammer substance:
- aluminum powder;
- crushed glass;
- some other factions.
Hammer paint has a remarkable property - it is able to hide irregularities and imperfections on the surface of products. Due to the presence of aluminum and silicone, the substance dries to give the surface an original, aesthetically pleasing appearance. At the same time, the resistance of the processed material increases many times over.
It is desirable to carry out work at temperatures from 5 to 36 degrees Celsius.
It should be noted that hammer paint in its technical characteristics is very similar to a polymer coating, which costs much more.
Sometimes unscrupulous manufacturers sell hammer paint under the guise of a polymer composition. At the same time, hammer paint itself is often faked; there is a large percentage of counterfeit on the market. When purchasing a product, you should not be guided by such a criterion as a low price. Chances are good that such a substance is not a hammer. When choosing, pay attention to the manufacturer, make sure the authenticity of the certificates. According to statistics, over ¾ of hammer paint on the market is counterfeit.
Features of the
The characteristics of the hammer coating may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but on average they look like this:
- density - 1 kg / l;
- diluted with white spirit solvent;
- the binder is an alkyd resin;
- the remainder on the surface - 48% of the volume;
- dries for at least two hours;
- each subsequent layer is applied after five hours;
- stored in containers for up to two years;
- resistance to temperatures up to 80 degrees Celsius;
- gloss level - 66;
- consumption - on average 1 liter per 9-10 square meters (one layer).
- before processing with such a paint, the metal surface does not need to be thoroughly cleaned of rust;
- the coating layer tolerates vibration, atmospheric phenomena well;
- the coating effectively protects metals from rust;
- the treated surface does not require re-painting for up to ten years;
- the coating resists high temperatures, therefore such a paint and varnish material is often used to paint fireproof cabinets and bank safes;
- hammer substance does not contain toxins that have a detrimental effect on the human body;
- the coloring matter does not have repulsive pungent odors, it can be used even in those rooms where the airflow is not very good;
- rich variety of shades;
- a layer of hammer coating after application for a long time "keeps" the color and does not fade;
- dirt and dust do not adhere to the painted surface.
Outwardly, hammer paint looks very advantageous, forged metal products look especially impressive.
Remembering the disadvantages of hammer paint, you can mention the high price. A kilogram of such a mixture costs more than one thousand rubles. In addition, old layers can only be removed from the surface with the use of considerable effort and strong solvents.
Hammer paint does not really need primer coatings. Its remarkable property is that it itself has the ability to effectively penetrate the coating, therefore the colors remain in their original form for a long time. It is only necessary to properly prepare the surface before work, cleaning it from dirt, dust and old paint.
Hammer dye has a high adhesion coefficient. It does not interact with water, therefore, metals coated with such a composition do not rust for a long time, maintaining a uniform shade.
The coating does not deteriorate under the influence of ultraviolet rays. Manufacturers guarantee that the coating will not fade for a quarter of a century. There is also reason to state that the painting is resistant to mechanical stress. The metal can be deformed from being hit by a hammer, but the paint layer will remain unchanged.
There are several varieties of hammer paint
- ML-165… Designed for painting surfaces that are completely free of oil and other fats. Resists high temperatures well. May release toxins when heated too much. The following colors are especially often used: black, gray, golden.
- Hammerite - hammer paint of the highest quality, extremely effective, not cheap. Has a wide palette of shades.
- NTs-221. For the price it is the most inexpensive hammer paint, it is recommended to use it when working indoors. It does not have such effective properties as the first two types, however, it is quite effective. Consumption - liter per 4 square meters. All basic colors are on sale.
Hammer-type dyes are widely used in the repair and manufacture of homemade metal products, including forged ones. Outdoors, they are mainly used to decorate fences and other similar structures. Indoors, hammer paint is used most often for processing:
- various machinery and equipment;
- metal assemblies in various building structures;
- metal fences;
- ceramic tiles;
- glass products.
Before starting work, the surface should be cleaned or thoroughly wiped. For this, a variety of solvents, acetone or "white spirit" are used. The degree of readiness of the surface is easy to check if you run a sheet of thin paper over it - there should be no traces. If they are, cleaning should be repeated.
Sometimes a metal brush helps a lot, because by cleaning the surface with such a tool, you can significantly increase the adhesion coefficient. The substance adheres well to the old paint and varnish material, which does not have to be cleaned off to the base, it is enough to just remove the "burrs" with sandpaper.
It is also good to coat galvanized and aluminum surfaces with hammer paint, as well as components made of non-ferrous metals.
The only condition is: before work, the materials must be treated with a primer. If hammer paint is applied to wood, then it is pre-treated with an acrylic primer. Drying, it creates a film on which the coating will adhere to an even, durable layer.
The substance can be diluted with a solvent of nitro 646 or 645. The solvent itself cannot affect the quality of the coating or gloss. Before starting work, the mass should be thoroughly mixed so that the composition is as uniform as possible in concentration.
The dye is applied using a spray can, roller, brush or pneumatic spray. It is important not to make the paint layer too thick, normally its thickness is about one hundred microns. This density is optimal for reliable protection of metal and wood products.
The use of aerosol is appropriate when you need to paint a small area of the surface.
Before starting work, it is recommended to shake the can sharply. The consumption of the substance in the can is not visible, therefore one layer should be applied and wait twenty minutes until it dries. The can becomes noticeably lighter when the amount of substance in it decreases; you should pay attention to this during operation.
When the surface treatment area is large, a special device is used - a spray gun. Its use requires the substance to have a certain consistency. For dilution, a solvent is used, adding it in a 2: 1 ratio. This combination is appropriate at a temperature of about twenty degrees Celsius, but if the temperature is lower, then the proportions are adjusted. To treat various parts of machines, protecting them from rust, the paint is diluted with a solvent in a ratio of 9: 1.
It is better to hold the spray gun at an angle of 90 degrees in relation to the surface to be treated. We must not forget about individual protection. In order to be sure, you should use:
- good respirator.
In addition, you should take advantage of a few more tips from experienced professionals
- It is recommended not to dip the roller into the paint, but pour the substance onto it in small portions, and only then roll it out.
- It is not recommended to use foam rubber covers for rollers, otherwise the paint will simply destroy the foam rubber.
- The second layer is allowed to be applied only after the first has dried.
- It is advisable to apply layers with a brush only on those surfaces that have a complex configuration. If the coloring matter is applied with a brush on smooth surfaces, gaps will inevitably remain.
- More of the substance must be used at the joints and welding, since these nodes are the most vulnerable.
- It is better to paint over all the designated areas in one cycle to avoid the appearance of unwanted stripes.
- During work, one should not be in a hurry, it is important to carefully process every, even a small area. It is also important not to use too much substance so that there are no large deposits.
Manufacturers and reviews
Hammer formulations of domestic brands in their characteristics are often not inferior to foreign counterparts, although they are much cheaper in price. The most famous global manufacturer of hammer paint is Hammerite. Even unprepared surfaces can be treated with this composition. Even fairly rusted metal products, such paint can change beyond recognition. At the same time, the Hammerite coating is a reliable protection for any material.
This paint dries quickly, is easy to prepare with the addition of a solvent, and is comfortable to work with. Before starting work, it is still recommended to apply a layer of primer on the surface to be treated. - this will increase the strength and give an additional guarantee that the coating layer will be more reliable.
The permissible air humidity when working with Hammerite is 80%, the temperature can be from 8 to 26 degrees Celsius. It is forbidden to work outdoors with such a composition when it is rainy or foggy.
The paint "sets" quite quickly - two hours are enough for this, but the final drying takes place only after two weeks. To obtain the desired effect, usually several coats (up to 5) are applied. The time interval between overcoating is 6-8 hours.
If you want to improve the reliability of the coating, do not neglect its pretreatment. It is recommended to use the same brand of solvent whenever possible.
Hammer paint is quite popular and in demand; you can buy it at any specialized store. Reviews about it are positive, especially the summer residents praise this composition, who process fences around houses, various metal parts, garden tools. Everyone notes the lack of smell in this composition, its good adhesion.
Many people like hammer chasing, which appears on the piece after the paint has dried.
For an illustrative example of the use of hammer paint, see the following video.