Stretch ceilings are one of the most popular types of ceilings today. It is presented in several varieties and textures. The popularity of stretch canvases is obvious, because they look beautiful and modern. But many people ask a very urgent question: how long does this ceiling serve?
The answer to this question, as well as to some others, no less important, you will find out in this article. In addition, you will get acquainted with the features of this type of ceiling, as well as some secrets that allow you to extend the life of these products.
Features of the
Stretch ceilings from various manufacturers have proven to be durable and reliable for many years of operation. They look beautiful, fashionable and modern. High-quality canvases from trusted manufacturers, made on powerful and modern equipment, can easily last up to 20 years. Basically, manufacturers give a guarantee for 10-15 years, but the scope of this period can vary from longer to less.
For a long time, the appearance of a well-made ceiling should not change. Every day he should look like new. It is very important to check with the manufacturer of your choice how many liters of water the suspended ceiling can withstand in case of flooding. It is believed that the figure should go up to one hundred liters.
According to many experts, if a suspended ceiling is installed correctly, taking into account all technical requirements, as well as using high-quality and proven materials, then it will serve you for many years without any problems and additional care.
If there is a respect for the ceiling, it will not be regularly flooded by neighbors, and it will not be constantly damaged under the influence of any external factors, then there is nothing to worry about. Your ceiling can easily serve for all thirty years.
How to extend the service life?
Despite the fact that the stretch ceiling does not require any specific maintenance and constant repairs, many customers are still interested in how to extend its service life. To do this, you just need to observe the basic rules, which are often told to customers by qualified craftsmen when installing the ceiling:
- In order for the ceiling to serve you for many years, only trusted firms and craftsmen should be chosen for its installation, who have been doing this type of finishing work for several years.
- If you are going to install the tensioning fabric yourself, then be careful. Study the installation instructions in detail and still consult with the masters.
- Stretch ceilings are of several types. If the room is not heated and is cold, it is best to purchase a fabric cloth. The film variety should be discarded, since such a ceiling can crack or deform at sub-zero temperatures. Film canvases are best chosen exclusively for heated rooms.
- The greatest danger to stretch ceilings is any scratches and punctures. They not only completely spoil the aesthetic appearance of the canvas, but also reduce its service life.
How to care and wash?
In order to significantly increase the service life of the tensioning fabric, it is recommended to properly and efficiently take care of it. It is not necessary to wash it every day, but you should not forget about some important points:
- For cleaning and maintaining the ceiling, it is very important to choose the right detergent. It should not be harsh, in addition, it should be free of any solvents, abrasives and chlorine.
- Do not use coarse sponges and hard brushes for cleaning the canvas, which can damage the surface of the product; it is best to use an ordinary and harmless cotton cloth or suede.
- In many specialized stores, you can easily find special products designed for washing stretch ceilings.
- Sometimes it is allowed to use aerosols and sprays to wash the stretch fabric, which are intended for cleaning glasses and mirrors.
As for the frequency of maintenance of the ceiling, everything is individual here. Wet cleaning for this type of ceiling is recommended every 6 months. Exceptions are bathrooms and kitchens, which, due to certain circumstances, should be cleaned a little more often. The ceiling should be washed as it becomes dirty, but it is also very important to avoid the formation of ugly dark stains from grease and dust, especially when it comes to the kitchen.
If you regularly take care of the ceiling, prevent it from constant flooding and do not injure it with cleaning agents, then it will surely serve you the prescribed period. And most likely, this period will be increased several times.
It is very important to know what to do in case of damage to the ceiling, since emergencies, especially in apartment buildings, are far from uncommon. If the ceiling is flooded, be sure to de-energize the room and try to fix the water ingress problem as soon as possible. Since most people do not have much experience in rebuilding the stretch fabric, it is advisable to call a qualified technician. In addition to the fact that the specialist knows how to return the stretch fabric to its previous shape, he will certainly treat it with a special anti-fungal coating so that the canvas does not collapse
- In order for a stretch ceiling to serve you for many years, many experts do not recommend choosing it for the kitchen. The constant ingress of grease and regular cleaning will lead to the fact that the coating will lose its beautiful appearance, as well as significantly reduce its service life. It is best to choose stretch ceilings for bedrooms, halls, living rooms and hallways.
- Painting of ceilings is recommended no more than seven times, otherwise there is a possibility of the canvas sagging and reducing its so-called shelf life. Matte stretch fabrics are considered the most popular, most often it is about them that buyers leave the bulk of positive reviews. In their opinion, they do not require regular painting, unlike, for example, glossy options.
All the pros and cons of stretch ceilings can be found in the following video.