Stretch ceilings provide great opportunities for designer creativity and the creation of complex multi-level figures. There are many lighting options for rooms with such ceilings. One of the most popular and interesting ones is using an LED strip.
LED strip is a luminous crystal located on a special flexible printed circuit board 3 mm thick, 10-20 mm wide and 5 m long. For easy transportation and storage, the LEDs are rolled into a coil. Such a lamp works from a conventional 220 V network at a constant current of 12 V.
The different number of luminous crystals placed on the board determines the power consumption of the circuit and the scope of application. A diode strip with 30 or 60 LEDs per 1 meter is used for illumination and requires less power. More powerful strips with 120-240 crystals shine brightly and can act as the main lighting of a room.
Moisture-resistant boards are produced that can be fixed and operated in rooms with high humidity levels, as well as tapes without a protective coating. Moisture resistant boards are more durable.
The glow of the LEDs can be multi-colored, adjustable at the request of the owner, but it can also be one-color, for example, white or red. With the help of LED lamps, you can arrange light music or colored 3D paintings on the ceiling in the children's room.
Advantages and disadvantages
This innovative material has properties that Ideal for lighting false ceilings:
- light weight and compact size allows you to easily attach the tape to the base in any hard-to-reach and narrow places, make a hidden slit illumination;
- the flexibility of the strip makes it possible to create complex patterns and contours on the surface;
- low power consumption allows you not to turn off the backlight in the nursery all night without prejudice to the family budget;
- LEDs are durable, with continuous operation every day for 12 hours, they will last more than 20 years;
- crystals do not emit heat when they glow, so they are great for PVC stretch ceilings, which are afraid of excessive heating;
- the ability to change the color and brightness of the glow using controllers, dimmers and remote controls;
- the ease of installation is amazing - there is an adhesive layer on the reverse side of the tape, which you just need to press against the surface of the base;
- such a solution has a high decorative effect: a floating ceiling exuding an even radiance, a luminous ornament or a night sky with a myriad of stars will become the central object of the interior.
The only relative disadvantage of this material can be considered its high cost, but the beauty of the visuals and the cozy soft light that it brings to the rooms is worth it.
There are several ways to install LED strips, thanks to which the same ceiling will look different. These methods can be combined, and the highlighting with highlighting zones on complex multi-level ceilings is especially impressive. First, you need to draw a ceiling plan and select a sketch of a drawing, figure, contour for placing the tape. If the length of the circuit is more than 10 m, it is divided into two parallel-connected parts.
You can install LED strip along the perimeter of the ceiling, covering it from below with a plinth or plasterboard box. You will get a hidden lighting that can be hidden in niches or ledges, emphasizing and highlighting them, zoning the room.All wires with power supplies can also be hidden in a drywall box. By gluing the LEDs to the edge of the stretch fabric, you can get the effect of a floating ceiling.
The canvas with color photo printing, illuminated from the inside, looks unusual and original.
You can lay out various shapes and glue the outline from the inside on the ceiling - thanks to the translucent surface, the light stripes will gently shine through it. The ceiling looks magical in this case. To cut the tape, you need to find special marks with scissors on it; you cannot cut it in other places. You can connect the board using connectors. When laying out the picture, it should be borne in mind that the minimum bend diameter should be 2 cm.
Before gluing the tape, it is necessary to clean and degrease the surface of the base. Then gradually remove the backing and press the adhesive against the ceiling. When the entire circuit is glued, you can connect it to the power supply and the controller, because only through the power supply is connected to the general network. A dimmer is used to adjust the light intensity. At the ends of the board, four colored wires stick out, which are connected to the connector of the corresponding color.
Power supplies of different capacities are on sale, so choosing the right one is not difficult. The tape indicates the required power for 1 meter, multiply it by the number of meters and get the total power consumption. If the result exceeds 40 W, the circuit should be divided into parts and power supplies connected to each of them. Use RGB controller to change colors. All power supplies have a shorter service life than the tape itself, therefore, for ease of replacement, it is necessary to place the devices in an accessible place.
After connecting all the parts, you need to check the operation of the luminaire and only then mount the ceiling sheet, since then it will be impossible to remove it if necessary, with the exception of ceilings with a harpoon mount.
Recommendations and Tips
Attaching the LED strip with your own hands is easy, taking advantage of the useful recommendations of experienced specialists and observing the subtleties of the technological process.
- illumination with LEDs hidden behind the ceiling plinth will be a great addition to the main lighting with spotlights or a chic central chandelier;
- the distance from the luminous crystals to the PVC cloth should be at least 3 cm to avoid overheating;
- LED lighting, especially colored lighting, can change the colors of the surrounding objects and the ceiling - this should be taken into account when choosing a tape;
- if there is no adhesive layer on the LED strip, you can use double-sided tape or glue;
- the LED strip is first connected to the controller, and only then to the power supply, observing the polarity;
- the tape should not be damaged, cut outside specially designated places, bend strongly;
- the power of the power supply must be 25% higher than the total power of all tapes connected to it;
- to mount a strip pattern inside the ceiling structure, it is necessary to create a frame from a profile or baguette.
Examples in the interior
Designers like this lightweight and flexible material, as it allows them to show creative imagination and taste, highlight the necessary zones in rooms, highlight the ceiling niches and ledges, and diversify lighting solutions.
In a high-tech living room, soft illumination of the walls and complex ceiling looks great. It emphasizes the ideal geometry of the walls, gives originality and complexity to the general lighting of the room, the walls acquire delicate shades. The light flows smoothly and smoothly, does not hurt the eyes, the room has a comfortable and cozy atmosphere of peace and relaxation.
Due to the translucency of the ceiling, the LED contour, laid in a pattern above the surface of the ceiling, shines through it with a dim and subdued light, drawing amazing ornaments above the head.It is worth pressing the switch button - and the room is transformed, plunging into an atmosphere of magic and romance.
The versatile lighting includes lamps located on the ceiling and walls, a ceiling chandelier and slit illumination of the stretch fabric. Together, they highlight the central area of the living room interior with light. Drawing attention to striking décor elements and creating visual accents, the backlights create a single ensemble and emphasize the luxury of the interior.
How to mount an LED strip on a stretch ceiling, see below.