One-color stretch ceilings with a simple texture are still in vogue, and they will remain popular and in demand for a long time. However, gradually the attention and interest of consumers moved to unusual colors and textures. With the help of new materials, you can realize the most amazing and extraordinary design ideas.
Two-tone stretch ceilings are truly original, but not pretentious design creation. It is relatively easy to get what you want thanks to the combination of different colors, especially if you know the design features.
A stretch ceiling structure with two colors is not uncommon these days.
It can be single-level or multi-level:
- Single-level ceiling. Multi-colored canvases in this design are interconnected and look like a single product. Additional materials are not needed during installation, so this finishing option is more affordable than a multi-level option.
- Multilevel ceiling. Each tier of such a hinged system is different in color. For its installation, auxiliary structures are needed and more time than for the previous version, as a result, the costs of installing a multi-level ceiling are many times higher.
Advantages and disadvantages
Modern buyers make a choice in favor of this design solution, because it has many virtues.
- Nice appearance. The correct combination and position of several colors is a guarantee of an attractive appearance of the ceiling hinged structure. Combined hinged systems look extravagant in any interior style.
- Compatible with different directions of decor. A pair of tones, correctly connected to each other, will complement the decoration of the rooms in different style interpretations: chalet, shebi-chic, country, etc.
- The ability to create a variety of decor ensembles. There are many ways to combine 2 colors on a single-level ceiling.
- Possibility of optical adjustment of room parameters. Thanks to two correctly selected and well placed shades, you can get the necessary effects (lengthen the wall, expand the space).
- Affordable price. A plasterboard ceiling structure is significantly more expensive than a two-tone coating. When the latter appeared, consumers received an excellent replacement for plasterboard suspended ceilings.
- Ease of installation. If you thoroughly study the manual for the product, purchase the necessary tools, find an assistant, you can arrange the ceiling with a tension system yourself. Of course, the soldering of two canvases can cause difficulties, since it is impossible to connect two segments by hand.
- Practicality. Stretch ceilings are easy to clean. The seams that fix the two parts are practically invisible, dust and dirt do not get into them. With a damp washcloth or cloth, you can wipe off dirt, even soot can be easily removed (for example, in the kitchen).
- The ability to install different lighting devices. Both chandeliers and spotlights can be combined with PVC canvases. The limitation applies only to power, since, for example, incandescent lamps can damage the film when heated, so they cannot be used as an additional light source. Removing a burnt defect will be very problematic.
- Security. Stretch canvases in 1 level or somewhat non-toxic. They can even be installed in rooms where children live. A subtle chemical smell can be traced during the first day after the installation of the canvas, but it will quickly disappear if the room is well ventilated. If the material is not falsified, then it will not cause allergies.
- Moisture resistance. If there is a flood from the upper floors or the integrity of the roof deck is broken and the film gets wet, there is no need to worry that the ceiling will deteriorate. The tensioning structure will retain the water and the material will return to its original position. It is not for nothing that experts allow you to clean stretch ceilings with water. Thanks to their resistance to moisture, two-tone ceilings can be installed in the hall, in the bedroom, in the kitchen and even in the bathroom.
- Service period over 15 years.
- Possibility of laying communications above the stretch ceiling.
Despite a number of positive aspects, colored designs also have disadvantages
- Stretch ceilings can be damaged by piercing with a sharp object. Such an unpleasant moment can occur when rearranging furniture.
- One-level and multi-level hinged systems cannot be used in unheated or poorly heated rooms. At low temperatures, the film becomes very fragile, it can crack or tear at any time.
- If the film is incorrectly installed, it may sag, which will negatively affect the aesthetic appearance of the entire structure.
Color arrangement options
There are a lot of options for how to arrange the two colors on the ceiling. Here are some examples of the most successful and attractive, from the point of view of designers.
- Diagonal. Ideally, the seam should be winding, but if the room is hi-tech or minimalist, a straight line will do.
- Halves. The easiest way to finish is when one part of the ceiling has one color, and the other has another. Thus, it is possible to divide the room into two different functional areas.
- One strip in the middle. In this case, the connecting line should play the role of a bright accent. The decor is more effective if a similar pattern is present on the walls. The strip on the ceiling, flowing smoothly into a line on the wall, looks very stylish.
- Lots of stripes. A striped hinge system is a great solution if there are objects with a similar pattern in the room. For a more expressive effect, it is recommended to combine contrasting colors.
- Center accent. The middle of the ceiling, decorated in the form of a geometric figure (square, triangle), is a common decor option. Behind the central area, you can install spotlights or hang a large chandelier in the middle. This design trick will effectively complement the living space.
- Chess board. The canvas with squares looks laconic and stylish. You can decorate the ceiling in two bright colors or two discreet shades.
- Patterns. The most difficult variation to execute, for this reason, the cost of such a decor is higher than other samples. If finances do not allow you to buy this particular decoration for the ceiling, you can replace it with a film with a ready-made pattern.
Polyvinyl chloride films, from which suspended ceilings are made, come in matte and glossy versions. Both options have their undeniable advantages, therefore, in order to determine which model to choose, it is necessary to take into account the recommendations of specialists.
If the ceilings are low, it is better to decorate them with a glossy film, it has a mirror effect, due to which the lack of height is visually eliminated. High ceilings, on the contrary, should be decorated with a matte film
The colors of the hinged structure must be matched to the tone of the furniture, wall decor and flooring.
- Glossy and matte textures are perfectly combined with each other. If you need to make a bright accent, you can use gloss. It looks harmonious on a matte base. The shade of the latter should act as the basis for the entire color decor.
- The color palette of glossy panels is much larger than that of matte panels. Matte textures, meanwhile, are more practical. After removing dust and other types of dirt, stains on such ceilings are less noticeable than stains on a glossy coating, even if they are well wiped off.
It is important and correct to combine colors and shades.
Ignoring this requirement can ruin the design idea
- All shades create a lovely duet with neutral colors. This rule is especially true if the owner of the room does not like too bright elements in the interior.
- An excessively bright tone needs to be "calmed", that is, combined with a muffled one. A good example is white and blue.
- The color of low ceilings should only be light. An excellent duet - pale pink with lilac, sandy with beige. Such patterns will visually make the room look larger.
- The contrast on the ceiling will complement any interior. White with red, blue and yellow are successful models that will decorate any room.
- Room lighting also plays an important role in overhead space. In poorly lit rooms, designers do not recommend using cold colors.
To make the room brighter, you should pay attention to colors such as yellow, orange, light green, sand. Cool colors look great in rooms with large window openings facing east as well as south.
Canvases of two colors in the interior
Combined ceilings mounted on the same level are used everywhere. Thanks to such unusual designs, any room, whether it be a room in a house or a typical city apartment, will become unique and inimitable.
But it is worth remembering that the combination of an extraordinary ceiling with walls and flooring can visually either increase or decrease the space, so you need to take into account the most common design ideas for rooms of different areas.
In the kitchen, a two-tone ceiling will help divide the space into a dining area and a cooking area. This option of finishing for housing is especially relevant, the dimensions of which do not allow adopting other zoning methods - additional walls and partitions, platforms. In the central part of the ceiling, you can hang a small chandelier
The colors of the combined ceiling covering must contrast with each other, therefore, a rich shade must be selected in accordance with the color palette of the furniture set. These colors are red, purple, green. And they can be supplemented by white, beige, yellow.
- It is better to decorate the bathroom with panels installed on two levels. A successful combination is white and red. Dark shades can be used to highlight the areas where the furniture is located, and light colors can be used to indicate the place where the bathtub and the sink for hand washing, if any, are available.
- Before installing the ceiling in the bedroom, you need to carefully consider how the furniture will be arranged so that the design is holistic. If the wall against which the head of the bed rests is pasted over with bright wallpaper, the same shades should be used on the ceiling film.
The use of different shades allows you to veil the flaws in the layout, or, conversely, to highlight them, making them more expressive. When choosing colors, it is necessary to focus on the size of the housing and its functional features.
For information on how to install a combined stretch ceiling, see the next video.