Stretch ceilings appeared in France more than half a century ago. Modern technologies allow you to choose them for any design interior. These ceiling coverings are of different types and have mostly positive reviews. The composition affects how a particular species is called.
The popularity of stretch ceilings is explained by a number of positive qualities compared to conventional ceilings:
- the tensioning option can be installed both before and after, and even during finishing work;
- the ceiling covering hides all communications;
- PVC ceiling is able to save the apartment from flooding;
- do not require additional care, except for wet cleaning as it gets dirty;
- installation requires 2-3 hours. For multilevel - 5-6 hours;
- do not crumble;
- do not fade;
- not subject to deformation;
- hide defects and irregularities of the ceiling slab;
- do not require filling the ceiling before work.
Currently, three types of stretch ceilings are known:
- film - made of polyvinyl chloride;
- fabric - made of polyester yarns;
- fiberglass - using fiberglass.
PVC ceilings are classified according to a number of characteristics.
- “Under suede”;
By the method of attachment, there are:
- with plastic insert;
By production technology:
- two- and multi-level;
- with drawing.
Fabric ceilings, in turn, differ depending on technology and color solutions.
By device technology:
- with drawing.
Each of the types presented has its own advantages and disadvantages.
This type is one of the least environmentally friendly of all. In the case of using low-quality materials used in its manufacture, serious health problems are possible. There are still a number of advantages:
- wide range of colors (more than 100 colors);
- tolerates high humidity in the room;
- suitable for complex design solutions: can be made oval, round, multilevel;
- different surface texture (grainy matte, smooth glossy, satin with a pattern);
- quite low price;
- suitable for any room;
- does not attract dust.
- not impregnated with odors;
- resistant to UV rays;
- easy to wet clean;
- does not hide space;
- has the ability to re-install;
- it is easy to install sensors, lamps, hoods and more into its design;
- able to withstand a flood due to a design load of 100 kg / m2;
- installation requires no more than 6 hours.
The disadvantages include:
- not intended for non-residential premises with temperatures below 50C;
- the first three days after installation, an unpleasant odor may come from it;
- it is easy to damage it when rearranging furniture;
- if the width or length of the room is more than 3200 mm, a seam is required;
- cutting takes place in the workshop, and it is necessary to very accurately measure the coverage area;
- during installation, the room heats up, from which furniture, wooden frames and floors suffer;
- can be coated with aseptic solution.
This type of ceiling is more environmentally friendly than PVC film ceilings. The mesh texture of the weave promotes free air circulation in the room, allowing it to breathe.
The positive qualities of such ceilings include the following:
- the roll width reaches 4 m, which allows you to create seamless stretch ceilings in standard rooms;
- resistant to mechanical stress (it is difficult to cut, tear);
- withstands negative temperatures in the room, can be used for a suburban non-residential house;
- has high sound insulation;
- allows painting with paints on fabric;
- does not require heating during installation;
- it is possible to use acrylic paints for decorating;
- does not sag.
The disadvantages include:
- limited color gamut;
- drawing is possible only after installation;
- originality is achieved only through photo printing;
- cleaning such a ceiling is very laborious in comparison with PVC;
- impossibility of re-installation;
- high price;
- there is no way to make a figured and multi-level ceiling.
- in case of flooding, moisture immediately seeps into the room;
This is a new material on the building materials market.
The advantages are:
- the ability to mount different types of lighting, hoods, and so on;
- incombustibility of the material;
- the ability to create multi-level structures.
The downsides are:
- high price;
- short warranty period;
- limited selection of installers;
- limited color range.
PVC film ceilings have a wider choice for design solutions.
An interesting and one of the most popular options is to create a starry sky over your head. It is perfect for the bedroom and living room. You can admire the stars from the comfort of your home. For such a ceiling, optical fiber will be required, which will show through small punctures.
If you get bored, and the layout of the room will allow, then you can reorient such a ceiling by turning it 180 or 900 degrees. The disadvantage of this solution is the impossibility of closing the holes to obtain a single-color canvas. In addition, in daylight, such punctures will be visible to the naked eye.
LED ceiling lighting allows you to change the color of walls and furniture in the dark. It can have several switching modes, from flickering to static. The control takes place from the remote control. The downside is the cost of mounting into a ready-made structure. It will have to be dismantled, which is not scary for stretch ceilings, and reinstalled. Here it is possible either to mount the ceiling not end-to-end, then the gap will be visible during the day, or mount directly to the ceiling, then the tape will be visible. In this case, the ceiling should be white.
Replacement options must be considered as LEDs are short-lived.
Two-level ceilings allow you to combine matte and glossy surfaces, combine two or more colors. Such ceilings are able to visually increase the height of the room and emphasize the taste of the owner. Two-level ceilings are used in rooms that need zoning. First of all, everything is a bedroom.
A glossy, bright surface in the center will make the bed in the center stand out and distract attention from the closets. In the living room, the installation of such a ceiling will allow to separate the recreation area and the active area. In the hallway and bathroom, such ceilings are rarely installed due to the small area.
3D ceilings allow you to achieve maximum realism of the picture. Living in a city apartment, you can feel like a vacationer in nature. It is enough to print a window with a sakura branch on the ceiling. Seascapes will help you relax and forget about worries. How pleasant it is to look at a meadow with beautiful flowers that ask to pick them. And how nice it would be to stroke the splashing dolphins jumping out of the ocean.
Photo printing on the ceiling allows you to make an original design for relatively little money. So, a pattern in the form of marble tiles will harmoniously complete the decoration of the bathroom.
Raindrops on the glass will allow you to relax after a hard day's work. Printed pictures with the image of your favorite cartoon characters help your baby fall asleep as soon as possible.
For fabric ceilings, photo printing and acrylic paints are usually used. Floral motifs are most often used as designs. You can paint such a ceiling in a solid color, harmonizing or contrasting with the color of the walls, or create a unique pattern thanks to the paints on the fabrics. In this case, work should be carried out after installation.
Which one is better to choose?
First you need to decide on the amount that you are willing to spend on installation. To do this, you need to call the companies dealing with stretch ceilings and decide whether you will order it or install it yourself.
Remember that when installing a PVC stretch ceiling you will need a heat gun. It is necessary to include the cost of its rental in the calculations.
Then you should choose the material from which you plan to install the stretch ceiling, taking into account the pros and cons outlined above.
Now we choose the shape of the structure and the color.
When choosing the color scheme of the future ceiling, a number of factors are taken into account
- The white version is a classic and will suit any interior. A matte ceiling will look great in a country, Renaissance living room. Glossy is suitable for an antique-style room.
- For a room with a low ceiling, you should choose pastel colors: beige, blue, milky. They help to visually enlarge the room.
- Intense and dark colors go well with high ceilings.
- For a bedroom, living room, it is better to choose colors that contribute to relaxation: pink, green, brown, light yellow.
- A pink marbled ceiling is suitable for the bathroom.
- For the nursery, you can make the ceiling turquoise.
- Photo printing will add zest to the interior and make it unique.
- For the bedroom, you can choose the "opal" technology, creating a projection of the starry sky or passing along the edge of the LED strip.
Selection criteria by material
In rooms with high humidity (bathroom, kitchen), you should opt for the PVC ceiling. Its glossy option will increase the space. And the combination of matte and glossy material will allow you to zone the kitchen, combining the functions of a living room in it.
For a bedroom, it is better to choose a matte or satin PVC ceiling, as well as a fabric one. This type will not reflect the sun and will create a cozy feeling. Do not forget, of course, that a fabric ceiling will cost you much more than a PVC film.
For a children's room and a bedroom, where we spend a third of our lives, it is better to choose a fabric option because of its ability to let air through.
When choosing a material for a ceiling covering in a living room, there are no rules. It should be borne in mind that a glossy surface will increase the size of the room and add light to a darkened room. Matte and fabric ceilings are better suited for rooms located on the sunny side. Glossy models in bold colors complement the pop-art living room. Suede-like ceilings will add pomp to the living room. This option will perfectly complement an antique-style room.
In a suburban unheated house, PVC tensioning options should be abandoned, since they cannot tolerate a drop in temperature below + 5C.
Glossy stretch models should be installed in the hallway. They are easy to clean and visually increase the size of the room.
When choosing a country of origin, a number of important criteria should be taken into account
- France as the ancestor of tensioning structures is a benchmark. Such ceilings are distinguished by their durability and high quality materials. The canvases produced in France are dense and have a beautiful sheen. But the price for them is also high.
- German quality known all over the world. Stretch ceilings from Germany are no worse than French models. Moreover, their cost is lower.
- Italian the manufacturers have succeeded in developing a new material that requires little or no maintenance. The quality of such canvases corresponds to the European one.
- Ceilings Russian production are distinguished by their low price and their fragility.
- Ceiling quality from China depends on the integrity of the manufacturer. You can buy high-quality ones that are not inferior to European ones, or you can buy those capable of causing irreparable harm to your health.
If, after three days after installation, a smell persists in the apartment, then such ceilings should be dismantled immediately. Substandard materials can lead to poisoning and liver, brain and lung problems.
When choosing a seller, you need to consider a number of important factors:
- the seller is obliged at your first request to provide certificates of quality and safety of the material;
- check the width of the roll: it may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer;
- when buying a glossy PVC film, check it for reflectivity;
- the presence of the manufacturer's logo on the edge of the film reduces the area of use.
For information on how to choose a manufacturer of stretch ceilings, see the next video.
Beautiful examples in the interior
This option will look perfect in the bedroom. Looking at the starry sky, you can feel like a part of the universe. For those who suffer from insomnia - a great opportunity to count the stars before bed.
Smooth semicircular lines add coziness. The combination of matte and glossy textures expands the boundaries of the room. The presence of pistachio color brings you closer to nature and tranquility.
For lovers of travel and underwater fishing, this ceiling will be a godsend. You can feel like one of the crew of Captain Nemo.
This ceiling with clouds is a continuation of the drawing on the wall. The soaring eagle makes the painting look realistic.
You can choose any ceiling covering and plinth to it, the main thing is that they fit the interior of the room and do not contrast with it. This is one of the main conditions for choosing a beautiful and stylish material for your ceiling.