If a tension structure is chosen for the design of the ceiling, the question arises as to which material to prefer. This aspect is really important, because each type of coating has its own special properties and appearance. Until now, there is no definite answer to this question, because everyone has different preferences. Let's consider the main characteristics of matte, glossy and satin stretch ceilings and compare them. Perhaps such an analysis will allow you to make your choice.
Features of the
The structure of a stretch ceiling is a frame on which a special type of material is stretched. The tension is quite tight, and the material is well fixed, which makes this design look very neat. Such systems allow you to implement absolutely any design, even if the ceiling has openings for columns, hoods or deliberately emphasized communication systems.
Moreover, regardless of the type of material used, it is not difficult to install such structures. This does not take much time, and the process is so simple and straightforward that even an inexperienced master (for example, the head of the family) can cope with it.
All types of stretch ceilings have both positive and negative characteristics. There are several key points that unite all the options under consideration.
- Any type of material used in the installation of a stretch ceiling is durable. You won't have to change the canvas for years.
- The materials used are impregnated with special compounds, making them resistant to moisture and condensation. Due to this, they can be used in apartment buildings with a high percentage of humidity.
- All materials are paintable. If you wish, you can revive the interior of the room with a ceiling of any shade in accordance with your own taste preferences.
- In addition to color, you can decorate the surface by means of photo printing, which does not wear off over time, and when supplemented with composite backlighting, it can look quite realistic.
- All types of material are compatible with a built-in illumination system that does not melt the material and also does not require a backing in most cases.
- During operation, the panels of the tensioning structures are not deformed. This eliminates the deterioration of the structure, cracking and the formation of stretch marks, even if the material has to hold back water in the event of a leak from the apartment of the neighbors on top.
- All types of material can be used in different rooms. They are suitable for decorating the ceiling of a nursery, living room, hallway, corridor, bedroom, bathroom and toilet, as well as a study and a home library.
- These canvases are compatible with plasterboard structures, which allows you to combine different textures with each other, making bright and expressive combinations.
- By means of any of the types of stretch canvases, it is possible to zone the space of the premises, using different color or stylistic solutions for individual functional zones.
- All tensioning materials look very nice. They stand out noticeably against the background of ceiling tiles, lining, panels and other cladding. They are also able to visually change the area of the room.
- Any of these models allows you to independently choose the height when performing a structure according to an individual project.
- All materials are resistant to sunlight. They do not fade or become faded.
Also, all types of stretch ceilings have some disadvantages
- Even laconic options "steal" the height of the walls. Usually, when installing such a structure, the ceiling becomes 8 - 10 cm lower, which is especially noticeable in small rooms.
- Regardless of the type of material, such ceilings are not resistant to significant mechanical damage and punctures. If for some reason the material is damaged, you will have to dismantle it.
- Some types of materials have a limited width, which forces manufacturers to make a design using suture technology.
- Photo printing significantly increases the cost of any panel (for example, if initially a meter cost 200 - 350 rubles, after applying the image, the price will increase by 8 - 10 times).
- If the volume of the leak is very large, it could ruin the material.
- Synthetic varieties cannot be used to decorate unheated rooms (for example, in a country house). At subzero temperatures, the structure of the material may suffer.
Having considered the general characteristics of tensile structures, you can go to a detailed description of materials in order to understand how each variety differs.
You will learn more about the features of stretch ceilings by watching the following video.
This texture is inherent in the material based on PVC film. It is distinguished by its plasticity, has excellent performance characteristics and is considered a very high-quality material.
Glossy canvases are often used to decorate modern interiors. This type of surface is reflective. Due to this, the ceiling can visually increase the space, make the walls taller, and the room brighter.
However, if the texture is close to the mirror, it can create emotional stress. This effect limits the use of the material in some rooms, where it is especially important to create a relaxing atmosphere.
The reflective degree can be different, however, the richer the shade of the canvas, the more clearly the objects located in the room are visible in it. For some people, it also causes a visual sense of clutter.
Matte products seem simple only at first glance. In fact, they are not limited in design and look very beautiful when executed in light shades. The texture of such surfaces does not interrupt the interior composition, even if the ceiling is made in a multi-level design with plasterboard.
It is worth noting the greater expressiveness of matte textures when performing photo printing on them. In this case, the contours are especially clearly visible, which is important if a design with a pattern is chosen. In addition, this texture allows you to use any type of lighting, including chandeliers with a mass of small lamps. There will be no glare on the surface of the ceiling that irritates the eyes, and the lighting fixtures will look very expressive.
This type is a modification based on PVC film. Outwardly, it can be compared to a sheet of coated paper. Such panels are textile varieties of material with a characteristic satin texture. This option differs from others in the presence of a silky sheen. The coating has a reflective effect, however, unlike the glossy version, it is not so pronounced.
But on such a ceiling, the effect of a mother-of-pearl glow is clearly visible, which contributes to the creation of a warm and cozy atmosphere.
Such coverage looks expensive and even luxurious. At the same time, it does not attract undue attention and does not limit the possibilities of using different furniture and accessories in the setting. The palette of such coatings has about 120 different shades.
In addition to the main types of canvases in the assortment of many companies, you can find materials of an exclusive nature (for example, with a “suede” texture or in a metallic color), which cannot be ignored.
Some of the unusual varieties include translucent materials. They differ in that, with the help of backlighting, they allow you to fill the space of the room with soft diffused light. So you can create the effect of a glowing ceiling or even an imitation of the starry sky.
This aspect is one of the important selection criteria. Here, the differences in materials are especially significant.
- Matte material is easy to clean. To do this, just use a damp cloth or semi-dry sponge. You can also remove dust from the surface with a vacuum cleaner.
- Glossy fabric is not afraid of wet cleaning, however, after it, stains almost always remain, which can be very noticeable.
- Satin textiles should not be cleaned like film varieties. However, you can "walk" on the surface with a vacuum cleaner.
For different rooms
The design of the ceiling should be chosen based on the size, purpose and style of a particular room. The aesthetic perception is also important, which determines the difference in products. To make the right choice, take note of a few tips from interior design experts.
- Choose tension structures in light colors. They will not create a feeling of heaviness. Dark paints are especially undesirable for glossy and mirror textures. The only exception is the design of large halls with high ceilings.
- Glossy textures of coatings are appropriate in the hallway and corridor. In this case, the panels can have an image of the sky or a simple stylized drawing on a white background.
- Glossy materials can also be used for the living room and kitchen. Today they are a demonstration of the manufacturability of the interior, they look great when supported in the form of glossy coatings of furniture or accessories.
- For a bedroom, gloss is undesirable. Designs with a matte surface look better here. In this case, it is extremely important that the shade of the material is light.
- The same rule applies to the children's room. The matte texture does not irritate the eyes and does not create the illusion of disorder from the abundance of objects, which are usually a lot in the nursery.
- If you find it difficult to decide and want to use two types of texture in your design, you can combine them. Decorate the ceiling with a matte finish, making a small accent with gloss. Materials can be connected through drywall using different levels of technique.
- Pay attention to the lighting. If you need to combine satin and matte surfaces, select spot lighting using it on the ceiling and, for example, on the front of the cabinet, or above the mirror or shelving.
- The best solution for the attic, where stretch ceilings are an extraordinary solution, is to use satin material or matte film. At the same time, it is undesirable to use prints. Here, the priority is the white color of the coating.
- If you are planning a design using photo printing, choose a satin or matte option. Such canvases will look expensive, while the possibilities of the drawing will not be limited. You can even add abstract and ethnic notes to the interior.
Having studied the opinions of those who decorated their home with tension structures, as well as having learned the position of experts, we can conclude that a certain type of material is suitable for each room. What looks good in the kitchen can be tricky in the bedroom.
There are many comments on glossy finishes. Users note that these materials really create the illusion of increasing space. However, they also force to minimize the number of pieces of furniture due to their reflective ability.
Those who choose matte designs talk about the stylish appearance of the canvases. Photo printing with the image of the sky and clouds looks especially impressive, and with the help of a correctly selected backlight, the visual boundaries of the ceiling are completely erased.
Many customers like the combination of matte and glossy surfaces. At the same time, designers recommend using gloss to carry out small accents, framing them with a matte canvas and decorating with composite LED backlighting.