Stretch ceilings are widespread today - both in office premises and in private houses, and their special type, such as structures with a 3D effect, are becoming more and more popular.
Indeed, plastering and whitewashing ceilings are a thing of the past, because modern technologies allow you to perform quick and high-quality repairs to the ceiling.
Features of the
Images with a 3D effect on a stretch ceiling covering allow you to create a spectacular illusion of a three-dimensional drawing, ornament or photograph. These can be images of the starry sky, clouds, flowers or butterflies, as well as unusual ornament or architectural details that visually increase the height of the room.
Human vision perceives a three-dimensional image on the ceiling as a picture with volume and depth. This is achieved through high-quality printing, special attention to shadows and lines in the image and reflective particles, which ensure the refraction of the light beam.
Advantages and disadvantages
The advantages of three-dimensional stretch ceilings are similar to those of conventional stretch ceilings:
- resistance to temperature changes and high humidity;
- the ability to "hide" serious defects in the base ceiling, for example, cracks or differences in height;
- the ability to keep the finish beautiful and clean for a long time, since dust is not attracted to the stretch ceiling;
- the use of special mild detergents in the process of cleaning the surface;
- the ability of the ceiling to survive a leak - most materials can withstand a load of up to 100 kg per square meter;
- quick installation and no construction waste after installation;
- low price in comparison with plasterboard ceilings;
- the possibility of combining with suspended plasterboard structures;
- the use of photographic pictures, floral ornaments or geometric patterns that visually increase the space.
The disadvantages of stretch ceilings include the possibility of their fairly easy damage with sharp objects, for example, when installing lamps. An unsuccessfully thrown children's toy or a champagne cork can also damage the canvas. Playing with children's pistols with suction cups or bullets can also cause serious damage to the ceiling.
However, small slots or holes in the stretch ceiling can be easily repaired by hand.
Varieties of designs
Stretch ceilings are divided into fabric and plastic (made of PVC film). Polyester fabric ceilings differ in density and durability, and the pattern applied to them will not fade over the years. Such a coating is not afraid of temperature extremes, making it perfect for a country house that is not constantly heated. The width of one piece of fabric ceiling is 5.5 meters, so there is usually no need to sew several pieces of fabric.
Seamless technology of ceiling installation ensures its strength and durability. It is believed that the fabric cover is 15 times stronger than PVC film.
Stretch fabric with a 3D effect will be mounted to the base ceiling in the same way as any other stretch ceiling.
Before fixing the canvas, a metal profile or a wooden molding is mounted on the walls. After installing the profile, the canvas is gradually stretched, fixing it in the profile with glazing beads, while the edges of the canvas will hang down. Further, the process of "pulling" from the center of the room to the windows and doors begins, which should be carried out "in four hands" - two people, working simultaneously, will be able to avoid distortions and sagging. The final stage is trimming the fabric and installing the ceiling plinth.
PVC film canvases feel better in rooms with constant heating and are great for creating multi-level structures. The width of the film varies from 1.5 to 5.5 meters, the wider the canvas, the more expensive it is. Nothing wrong, if one whole piece is not enough for the whole room, since special equipment allows you to connect any number of segments together.
In addition to the standard installation of the profile, for the installation of a PVC ceiling, special equipment will be required - an air heater. Specialists will best cope with heating the film with a heat gun and stretching it, but home craftsmen will also be able to carry out the procedure using a conventional heater and a hot hair dryer. Modern printing technologies allow you to apply a picture of any size both on a PVC canvas and on a fabric base.… With an inkjet printer or plotter, solvent and UV inks, the 3D effect is enhanced.
Also, stretch ceilings can be multi-level.… They are the ones that will best help to reveal the beauty and depth of 3D images. The correct combination of three-dimensional drawings and levels turns the room into a forest clearing or a spaceship, and insects and animals look like living things. For the installation of multilevel structures, special profiles are required - special for each ceiling element.
Preparation and installation of a multi-level ceiling is a difficult and painstaking work, therefore it is better to entrust it to professionals … The designer will help you create a play of light and shadow, suggest where to install the lamps to create the illusion of birds or butterflies flying. Multilevel structures involve the use of not only tension cloth, but also drywall elements.
Shapes and design
Drawings, ornaments and photographs on a stretch ceiling can be very different and depend solely on the imagination of the owners of the room. The most popular are the starry sky through the porthole of a spaceship (a great option for a nursery), white clouds in the blue sky, bright butterflies and birds among tropical plants.
A two-tiered ceiling with an oval or circular center can be the bottom of a pool or ocean water filled with starfish, colorful fish and algae.
The ceiling in the form of an ocean wave is also popular. Abstract drawings look spectacular, they allow you to give not only the ceiling, but also the entire interior of the room originality and modernity.
Photo printing on a stretch ceiling requires a particularly careful attention to lighting. In order for the drawing to "play", and the volumetric stereo picture really served as an interior decoration, proper illumination is necessary … Usually these are spotlights located around the perimeter of the room in plasterboard structures. Swivel lamps will allow you to place the necessary accents, and the drawing, illuminated from one side or the other, will not get bored.
PVC ceilings are often installed in specialized premises - swimming pools, clinics, cinemas. This allows you to create the right atmosphere in the room that helps a person to relax, calm down, or, conversely, experience a surge of vivacity and inspiration.
Tips & Tricks
When choosing a 3D ceiling, you need to consider the following nuances:
- There are many companies offering 3D effect ceiling installations, and many of them offer tempting discounts. It is recommended to contact only those firms that have proven themselves in the construction market, have an extensive portfolio of finished works and provide guarantees.
- An image that is too exotic or too bright can quickly get bored; you should not choose pictures that can tire the eye.
- The 3D drawing should correspond to the design concept of the entire room: "nautical theme" is best suited for bathrooms, drawings of the sky - for living rooms and halls, butterflies and birds can be present in the kitchen and in the bedroom.
- The market of finishing materials for ceilings offers us products of Russian, European and Chinese production. If you are interested in high quality and durability, choose materials made in Europe.
- Do not use dark colors or aggressive designs for the nursery.
- Glossy ceilings work best in rooms with high ceilings.
- For the kitchen, choose a finish made of PVC film, since vapors and grease stains from such a cloth will be the easiest to clean. In addition, PVC film is moisture-repellent.
- A properly positioned lamp can add depth to a painting.
- Recently popular fluorescent paints can cause feelings of anxiety.
- If you are tired of the three-dimensional picture, then the stretch ceiling can be painted. Usually acrylic paints are used for this purpose.
- Clear proportions and proportionality are the key to the success of a stretch coating with a volumetric pattern, but even a small discrepancy with the plan can introduce an imbalance and ruin the overall picture.
- It is necessary to be careful when using 3D drawings in small rooms with low ceilings - a large-scale image will not increase the space, but rather, on the contrary, "press down" it.
- The night sky is a popular variation on the 3D ceiling. The color scheme of such a ceiling is rather dark, so this image in the living room or kitchen will raise more questions than delight.
- To create additional lighting effects, designers use luminous Starpins or install Swarovski crystals in some parts of the design (for example, in the center of stars in the starry sky or drops of water on leaves).
- All kinds of abstractions are best combined with high-tech style. Traditional interiors, coupled with an extraordinary ceiling, will look disharmonious.
- It is better to entrust a complex ceiling to specialists. Before placing an order, it is recommended to inquire whether the company's specialists fulfill the design model. If the answer is no, then it is better to refuse services.
Beautiful examples and options
One of the most favorite themes of a 3D stretch ceiling is the "window to the ocean". The stretch canvas looks perfect thanks to the multi-level ceiling and spectacular lighting. This finish will delight you both in the bathroom and in the hall.
If there are no windows in the room, then you need to make every effort to add "air" and light to the room. The best solution would be a tensile structure featuring a blue sky and white clouds.
Such landscapes will be appropriate in the interior of a modern kitchen, especially if the ceiling of the room is not too high. The kitchen will become visually taller and freer, and multi-level plasterboard ceiling elements will help to zone the room, separating the cooking area from the dining area.
Recently, ceilings with spectacular abstract patterns have gained popularity. This is a great option for rooms with a loft or high-tech interior.… The decoration will surely attract the attention of guests who will consider intricate spirals against the backdrop of the milky way. Abstract drawings have many advantages - they not only visually increase the height of the room, but also enhance the impression of a stylish interior (for example, a modern kitchen in red and black).
Butterflies and birds are always popular, but remember that such a bright accent will inevitably attract the eye and can quickly get bored. Nevertheless, if the room has a complex shape, a ceiling with a photo print is able to simultaneously fulfill the task of zoning and combining the space into a stylistically holistic one. Large elements in the center of the room can be repeated in corners, in arches and niches, on elements of a multilevel ceiling.
The original solution is an old card made using photo printing on a polyester canvas. This is a real find for a young traveler's office or nursery, because such a ceiling can be viewed endlessly, dreaming of distant countries and amazing discoveries.
The frequent variations of “flower” images indicate that these motifs still have many lovers. There is only one piece of advice that can be given - the floral motif should correspond to the decoration of the walls (repeat the main color or motive), as well as the color of the furniture, otherwise it will look like an “alien element”.
For information on how to install a 3D stretch ceiling and install lighting, see the following video.