Stretch ceilings have long since turned from a luxury item into an integral part of modern renovation. Initially, they were used in cases where it was too difficult to hide flaws and surface defects. Unlike suspended ceilings, the tension structure uses much less space due to a special fastening system.
Stretch ceiling successfully combines the properties of a thin and at the same time durable canvas, as well as a light but reliable frame fixed to the ceiling or wall. The performance properties, as well as the service life, are determined precisely by the fastening method.
Features of the
The harpoon is a special PVC profile that has been reinforced to give it additional strength and elasticity. It is used to fix the stretch fabric in an aluminum molding that is attached to the wall. Before stretching the web, the profile is attached along the perimeter of the entire area where the installation is carried out. The harpoon is fixed by welding, which results in a high strength indicator.
The shape of the harpoon profile may differ depending on the manufacturer. Often it is a plate with hook-like protrusions, of which there can be more than one if necessary. To carry out high-quality installation, this plate must have high levels of flexibility and elasticity.
Pros of the harpoon fixation system
In many respects, the harpoon fixation method is superior to the glazing bead fixing system. Choosing what to use: a harpoon or glazing bead, it is worth paying attention to the advantages that the harpoon system of fastening the tension cloth gives.
- Installation speed. The harpoon attachment significantly reduces the installation time of the tension cover to several hours.
- The surface of the film is not subject to stretching, which avoids the formation of wrinkles after installation.
- Increased loading capacity of the system in comparison with analogs. Due to the fact that the structure is able to withstand high pressure in the event of flooding, there is no need to change the blade.
- A simplified dismantling system allows you to remove the cover if necessary and then reinstall it.
- The fastening design allows to optimize the space between the ceiling and the stretch covering, thereby allowing installation even in rooms with low ceilings.
- Concealed installation allows for a more aesthetic result. During the installation process, a side is formed between the wall and the baguette, which is easily masked with a decorative insert.
- The harpoon method allows the installation of a canvas of various shapes, while maintaining the level of the ceiling.
Installation of tension cover
To achieve the best possible result of installing the tensioning web, you should carefully approach all its stages. By clearly following the order and observing all the necessary actions in the required sequence, you can make sure that the installation of the tensioning web using harpoons is not difficult.
At the first stage, the room is measured where the installation is planned. The main parameter for such a measurement is the perimeter of the room. Due to the fact that the welding of the harpoon to the web is carried out at the stage of its production, measurements must be made with particular accuracy. For their implementation, it is possible to use tape measures (both laser and metal) and a building level.
The use of the latter is most important, since it is the level that will allow in the future to obtain a smooth and even surface of the stretch fabric.
The second stage is cutting the canvas, which will be further stretched indoors. It is cut in accordance with previous measurements and is equipped with a polymer harpoon insert.
The next step is the installation of the aluminum profile in the places marked during measurements according to the level indicators. Manufacturers have equipped special holes on the profile for fastening, therefore, in the right places in the wall with a drill, they make holes and fix the profile with dowels and fasteners.
At the fourth stage, the harpoon is installed in the corresponding groove using a special spatula. At this stage, the canvas is distributed under the ceiling. For leveling it is heated with a heat gun.
At the last stage, the gap between the wall and the profile is closed with a special decorative insert. Also, special holes are cut in the ceiling for mounting the lighting system. Regardless of which system was chosen: harpoon or glazing, when installing a stretch ceiling, it is necessary to follow the technology and carry out thorough preparatory work.
In the event that you think over all the details in advance, draw up a plan and prepare well, you will get a result that will delight you for a very long time.
See the video below for the installation of a PVC stretch ceiling with a harpoon installation system.