Stretch ceilings are installed in many private houses and apartments. However, there are situations when the canvas is damaged for any reason, and a hole appears in it. People immediately start to panic and wonder how to fix the situation.
Initially, you need to assess how badly the canvas was damaged, because you can hide a small flaw with the help of glue.
There are several common causes of tension cover damage:
- When installing the curtain rods, you can easily touch the tension web with the fastener and damage it. The master should be as careful as possible when working with the canvas, since only one wrong movement can ruin the coating, damaging it.
- Children's toys, most of which are characterized by the presence of sharp parts. Children can accidentally throw them up to the ceiling while playing with them, causing damage.
- Champagne corks and crackers, which, if not careful, can damage the ceiling finish.
- A break along the seam occurs in a situation when the web was stretched too much or poor-quality welding was carried out.
- Inattention of installers. If the baguettes were installed poorly, then this can lead to the fact that the canvas will simply come off the fastening profile.
- If a high-power luminaire is installed in the room, then it is able to melt the film. This applies not only to built-in light sources, but also to pendant lamps that have been incorrectly installed.
How to remove a hole with your own hands?
If the cut or puncture is very large, then you should not bother with the canvas, it is easier to replace it. Only small holes can be masked. As soon as you notice damage, you need to seal the area with tape or electrical tape., so the hole doesn't get bigger … After that, you can get to work.
Ceiling repair methods depend on what material the canvas is made of.
A thrifty owner usually has pieces of fabric left after installing the ceiling. Now they are ideal for repairing damage. If the same fabric is not available, then you can choose another, but then it will need to be dyed in the same tone as the ceiling.
You need to act as follows:
- it is necessary to cut the patch (the size should be equal to the size of the damage plus a few centimeters);
- apply transparent glue to the fabric;
- press the patch from the back;
- smooth the fabric well;
- gently press the piece of fabric, but do not overdo it so that the glue does not come out.
When the patch dries up, you can start painting this area. If the damage is small, then a needle with a nylon thread will help to get rid of the hole in the ceiling base, with its help you can sew the hole.
Remember that an independent search for matter will not yield results. It is worth contacting the company that installed the stretch ceiling, since its employees are able to find a fabric that is close in color to the original one.
If a small hole has formed on the stretch ceiling, then you can hide it behind lighting fixtures or ventilation grilles. In this way, only minor damage can be corrected, which does not exceed 2 centimeters in length. The stages of repairing a PVC cloth are the same as when gluing a cloth cloth, but there are certain peculiarities.
It is important to note that it will not work to paint the film, so there are two ways out of this situation:
- from the remnants remaining during installation, patches should be prepared;
- create an applique from the found material.
Remember that holes in the PVC ceiling open up quickly enough, so it is temporarily necessary to use tape. You can remove it just before attaching the applique or a piece of film.
Today, there are various design ideas for decorating holes in a stretch ceiling. This can be floral ornaments, animal images, geometric shapes, patterns and much more.
When it is necessary to glue the stretch ceiling, it is allowed to use only certain types of glue:
- Station wagon can be used for gluing different types of materials. It contains special resins, thanks to which the best effect is achieved.
- Special glue can be used for certain types of wallpaper and special gluing places. This species differs in varying degrees of characteristics:
- easy - used for thin materials like paper;
- average - used for fabric or acrylic wallpaper;
- heavy - can be used for vinyl and non-woven.
- Super glue ideal for situations where a smooth surface needs to be glued.
Most popular brands
Today, you can purchase products from popular brands that are ideal for pasting stretch ceilings.
Cosmofen glue is suitable for a variety of tasks. Using this product, you can quickly get the job done. This species is completely harmless to health.
The advantages of this glue include:
- suitable for various materials;
- hardens in a few seconds;
- it is highly durable;
- characterized by resistance to temperature extremes and ultraviolet light.
This glue is plastic, and also has the following features:
- able to glue any materials in a few seconds;
- needs degreasing;
- after complete drying, it does not lose its plasticity, and at the same time gains strength.
Superglue from the "Contact" company is great for repairing stretch ceilings. It is ideal for beginners thanks to its clever design. It grabs quickly enough, only two seconds are given to correct the position. The advantage is the transparency and reliability of gluing.
Loctite offers a high quality line of adhesives that can be used with confidence in stretch ceilings. You can buy glue with varying degrees of transparency and density. All types of glue are characterized by moisture resistance, resistance to temperature extremes and are shockproof.
Cosmoplast offers a wide range of adhesives, but only 500, 513 and 500L grades are suitable for use in stretch fabric repair. They differ in drying time and composition.
In what cases is it impossible to glue the stretch cover?
In some cases, it is not recommended to repair the tensioning fabric with your own hands:
- The gap fell at the place of the seam … In this case, gluing can only aggravate the situation. You won't get the desired result. The fabric or PVC will have to be pulled again.
- The coating has moved away from the wall … Then dismantling will be required, after which it will be necessary to strengthen the baguette or profile. Next, a new canvas should be stretched.
Even if you think that you are able to cope with such situations on your own, but you are not a professional, you should not act on your own. Such damage can be caused by the actions of the ceiling installers or the use of poor quality material.
The only correct solution in this case is to contact the company that carried out the installation. She must either correct this situation, or return money for poorly done work.
In some cases, it is impossible to correct the situation with glue, so applications come to the rescue.
To do this, follow the guidelines below:
- it is necessary to thoroughly clean the glued surfaces from dust and dirt;
- carefully cut off a piece of tape that will help close the entire hole and attach it;
- when the hole is large enough, you will have to quickly look for a piece of canvas;
- the segment must be attached to the gap and glued with tape on both sides.
When a decision has been made to glue the applique, there is no need to worry about the texture and color of the found canvas being combined with the base base. A mosaic or a unique application can be used as a matter.
note that to complete this work, you will need at least basic knowledge of working with stretch ceilings … If you don't have them, then don't risk doing repairs yourself. It is best to turn to professionals who will do their job well.
Remember that calling a specialist will be much cheaper than replacing the blade.
You can fix the problem by installing an additional lighting device. You can hide the hole using any shade or lamp.
- You can paint and glue a regular plastic plate. It will look original on the ceiling.
- A regular ventilation grill or detector decoration is perfect for eliminating the hole. Installation is carried out with glue.
- If you want to install a chandelier, then you need to nail a hook to the ceiling surface, for which the lamp will be attached.
To install the lamp, you must first mount a plastic ring around the hole, which will not allow the hole to disperse even more. The canvas in the inside must be cut out and the lighting fixture must be installed there.
Keep in mind that if communication is not carried out in this place, then the lamp will become only a decorative element. To make it functional, the ceiling will need to be dismantled, which will be time-consuming.
For information on how to eliminate a cut on a stretch ceiling, see the video below.