The process of creating a modern and unique interior in a room is impossible without the use of creative and bold ideas during the implementation of the project. And this applies to the decoration of rooms not only with decor items and extraordinary furniture, but also the creation of a unique coating on the ceiling, which will be the main highlight of the whole style.
The ceiling can set the main direction, emphasize an already created line in the interior, or have a negative impact on the overall decoration. Today, black stretch ceilings with individual pros and cons are becoming more and more relevant.
Features: advantages and disadvantages
Stretch ceilings are deservedly popular, because they have a number of positive technical properties, and are also rich in various options for external design. Today, it is the black surfaces that stand out for their spectacularity in any textured performance in high demand.
However, the question remains very important, which concerns the organic inclusion of the black ceiling in the general style of the room, since this color is very pretentious, requiring a certain border.
The indisputable advantage of black stretch ceilings is their extravagance. A smooth and glossy surface will give the room a touch of mystery and magic. And due to the mass of options for material textures (for example, ideal and sliding gloss, matte or satin texture of the canvas), you can realize all the most daring fantasies in design.
A black background will help even the most ordinary chandelier to sparkle with new colors: thanks to the contrast of dark and light, the lighting fixture will become a luxurious piece of interior, with which you can also set accents in the room. Options for using recessed lights or spotlights will help create an imitation of the night sky, strewn with beautiful stars.
Using black stretch ceilings in the right direction, which concerns the formation of the general style, the room can be visually made deeper and more voluminous, at the same time giving a unique charm and emphasizing the sophistication of the owner's taste preferences.
Like any other material, a black canvas will have some disadvantages:
- in the case when there are seams on the coating, the black color scheme will draw attention to them;
- the disadvantages of such coatings include the specifics of caring for the material: the slightest dirt will be noticeable on a dark ceiling, as well as stains from wet cleaning with an unsuitable composition;
- black ceilings in the room can reduce the area and height of the room.
In general, if you make a mistake in the course of creating a design, then the interior will have a depressing impression and create a heavy atmosphere in the house. Therefore, it is very important to correctly shade dark surfaces with contrasting light details and surfaces in the home.
Materials and textures
The main raw material for the production of stretch ceilings is a film consisting of special textiles or polyvinyl chloride. In this regard, the types of canvas differ significantly in terms of aesthetic properties as well as mechanical characteristics. The combination of these features suggests different ways of mounting products on the surface.
Fabric membranes are offered to customers in the form of large rolls, the installation process of which does not require welding.The material does not react to rising temperatures, so there is no need to create certain temperature conditions. Such products have a high level of strength, several times higher than that of film products. At the same time, the rigidity of the raw material is also much greater, so additional efforts will be required for installation. The color assortment of fabric canvases is very limited, however, the advantage of external design is the presence of drawings on the products, which will allow them to be used together with other elements, creating an original design on the ceiling in the room
Unlike the first type of material, film products represented by a wealth of color options and textures. Products can be matte or glossy, one or two colors. The installation process requires the use of certain equipment - a heat gun, since the installation technology includes the mandatory heating of the room up to 40 degrees. In addition, it is necessary to warm up the working material itself, which will ensure the elasticity of the raw material and the effect of heat shrinkage. In some cases, it may be necessary to weld the product to obtain a fabric of a given area and configuration
There is no big difference in the use of this or that type of stretch ceiling. In practice, similar techniques and tools are used. Based on this, it is possible not to focus on the characteristics of the types of stretch products, but to make a choice taking into account color preferences and textured features.
If you use black fabric canvases with any pattern, then the emphasis in the interior design will be placed on it, and the rest of the decor will be based on the pattern on the ceiling. For example, a black stretch ceiling with a starry galaxy will set a unique direction and style in the room.
The disadvantages of film products include their fragility, due to which the coating can be damaged during installation, therefore, special care must be taken during the work.
The question of choosing a canvas in a glossy or matte design depends on individual taste preferences.
It is worth highlighting the general properties of perception of the varieties of textures
- As for glossy products, their use allows you to slightly increase the area of the room due to the reflective features of the material. Small rooms in the house, for example, corridors, bathrooms or hallways, can be visually expanded, creating the impression that the ceiling height in the room is much higher, which will add a sense of spaciousness and freedom. The requirements for the installation quality of glossy canvases are increasing, since the slightest unevenness will be clearly visible on them.
- Matte ceilings are less pretentious. They have a soft appearance, so possible defects are less conspicuous. But they will not be able to expand the space, like glossy products.
Stretch ceilings are distinguished by a good level of moisture resistance and strength, which allows them to be installed in a bathroom, kitchen or room with a swimming pool. The material will help save expensive repairs, furniture and appliances, since it is able to hold back a large volume of water that has flowed from neighbors.
For living rooms, a beautiful option would be to use a glossy finish, but it is better to stay on seamless products so that the seam is not noticeable.
Corridors or hallways should be decorated with satin products that soften the cold black color, making it deep. Small rooms are best designed with clear and regular geometric shapes. In such cases, abstraction will help out - it will visually enlarge the room.
How to register?
The room, which is planned to be decorated in strict black and white colors, should be pasted over with wallpaper with a retro print, an image of a night metropolis or imitation of newspaper spreads.With this design, a beautiful reflection of surfaces will form on the ceiling, which will visually enlarge the room.
The black and white combination can be transferred to the ceiling itself. In this case, you can realize any, even the most daring fantasies. For example, abstract strokes or patterns, as well as oriental designs that include Ying and Yang symbols are ideal for a bedroom or hallway.
A stretch black ceiling with a galaxy print will adorn any room (for example, this is how you can decorate a children's room with advantage). An insert in a certain part of the ceiling, imitating the night starry sky, will decorate a hall or a dining room. So you can even decorate a bathroom by placing a piece of space on the ceiling.
Two-level ceiling structures in living rooms, where one of the elements will be a black canvas, will also be an ideal solution for many rooms.
Abstract drawings on the black ceiling in the kitchen (for example, in the form of flames or colorful smoke) will decorate even an ordinary dining room furnished in a discreet and discreet style.
Using interesting and simple tricks, you can diversify the appearance of the black ceiling.
- The black ceiling in the bathroom can be complemented with plain tiles or furniture.
- For a classic style in the design of the room, you need to focus on the matte look of the products. And so that the room does not seem too gloomy, it is worth including additional lighting devices in the interior.
- Due to the reflective qualities of the product, it is better to hang a beautiful figured chandelier or install spotlights in a room with a black ceiling.
- You can complement the black coating with light plasterboard elements, and the details can be both clear and sharp forms, and smooth rounded lines.
- Luminaires should be installed on additional structures. Hidden light bulbs on a black finish will create a starry sky effect - an ideal and inexpensive way to complement a dark surface and create a beautiful look.
- To make the surface of the black ceiling look like a starry night sky, it can be decorated with small lamps, which are made in the form of stars.
- Satin canvases do not reflect light, so they should be additionally decorated with lamps.
- An original design technique will be the use of a black product as a base on which a perforated insert made in white will be located.
Black ceilings have a lot of reviews, among which there are positive and negative ones. As many apartment owners note, where glossy black ceilings are used, they are categorically unsuitable for rooms with a small area and minimal natural light. In order not to feel discomfort, a room with a black ceiling should have large windows. A room with windows to the floor would be ideal.
As for the design style, there is no unequivocal opinion where it is preferable to use such materials. With the correct and strict adherence to a single design line, black ceilings will become an original addition to any style (from conservative minimalism or classics to modern high-tech trends).
Stylish ideas in the interior of rooms
Modern style with smooth lines of light colors can be supplemented with a black mirrored ceiling and a voluminous chandelier located in the center of the room. This option, combined with contrasting finishes and upholstered furniture, is ideal for studios where the living room and dining room are located in the same room.
The art deco interior will be decorated with a dark stretch ceiling with a pattern reminiscent of painting with gold threads. It will emphasize the luxury and exclusivity of design, as well as give aesthetic pleasure from the contemplation of an unusual pattern.
You can learn more about black stretch ceilings and their installation in the next video.