Stretch ceilings are a key element of interior design. Thanks to them, any room in the home looks stylish, modern and aesthetically attractive.
One of the factors that largely determines the demand for these structures is the backlight. Correctly selected, it is able to make even the most laconic ceiling design unique.
Features of the
A stretch ceiling is a frame with a synthetic fabric attached to it. It is fixed to the base by means of special fasteners, due to which the design is reliable. This ceiling is quite simple to install and, depending on the degree of complexity, can be carried out without the involvement of a specialist within one or two days.
Ease of installation is the fact that it does not require preliminary preparation of the base, which significantly saves the budget and time for the installation itself.
Stretch structures are good because they can be used to beat any design flaw in the ceiling associated with the layout of an apartment or a private house. At the same time, the backlight performs not only the main function: it deliberately emphasizes design features (for example, a broken perspective, columns, ledges), passing them off as the advantages of planning.
Today it is presented in several main varieties, it is distinguished by modern light sources that comply with manufacturability and safety standards. Its possibilities are unlimited: if necessary, it can repeat any contour of the box, it can be positioned around the perimeter, embedded or displayed.
The stretch fabric itself is a synthetic PVC-based film material. Its technical and operational characteristics are quite high, due to uniform tension and rigid fixation, it looks neat, differs in evenness and pleasant appearance. When properly installed and tensioned, it does not sag or wrinkles.
The key selection factor is that this design allows you to hide the difference in wall heights due to its independent selection.
Stretch canvases for the structures under consideration have three types of texture. It can be matte, glossy and satin.
Consider the nuances of each material.
This material is great for modern design trends. It emphasizes the manufacturability of the raw material and its synthetic base. The material is highly reflective, due to which it can visually enlarge the room in which it is installed.
However, this effect creates emotional stress, so you need to be careful when using such material in the bedroom.
The same applies to varieties of the mirror type with a glossy texture: they reflect on the surface everything that is located below. Therefore, it is difficult to look at such a ceiling, and a visual imbalance is created in the room. The abundance of interior details and their reflection contributes to a sense of clutter, which forces the use of a glossy texture in the form of separate accents of a stretch ceiling, combining them with plasterboard structures.
This type of film coating looks stylish and is perfectly combined with glossy inserts. It softens the effect of mirror and reflection, makes the design special, fills the room with an atmosphere of home comfort.You can look at such a ceiling without harm to the eyes and optic nerve.
At the same time, a matte canvas is able to convey any image as expressively as possible, if the stylistic design of the ceiling requires it.
Unlike its glossy counterpart, it does not leave visible streaks when wet cleaned. This material is intended for classic and vintage trends in interior design, if desired, they can be decorated with a creative style, complementing the designs, for example, false beams, lamps in the form of communication pipes.
Illumination light does not form glare on such a surface, so any image will look expressive, emphasizing the chosen design style.
This type of material has been placed in a separate category of film coatings for stretch ceilings. It is not matte and far from glossy, rather, it is a pearlescent sheen with a slight reflectivity, due to which the material is able to bring a special mood to any room.
The light silky texture with a pleasant shimmer allows for high-quality image production with clear contours.
Such a canvas is more difficult to maintain and provides for the usual dry cleaning of the surface with a vacuum cleaner. It is more expensive than analogues, demonstrates the status of the owners of the house (apartment) and compares each piece of furniture with itself, which makes it difficult to create an interior composition.
In terms of its qualities, the material is superior to the first two, is characterized by frost resistance, which makes it possible to use it in unheated rooms (for example, in a country house). This material is perfectly combined with any type of backlighting, does not form sharp glare.
Let's consider briefly the types of lighting used for stretch ceiling structures. All of them are united by the type of light sources: these are LEDs of different power and shape.
The backlight can be central and auxiliary. In addition, it is divided into two types: external and embedded. Structures of stretch ceilings are convenient in that the installation of lighting devices, depending on the selected project, can be done at the installation stage or after it.
The demand for LED backlighting is obvious: it is harmless to the eyes and the body, since the lamps do not emit toxins into the air during operation. In addition, diode lighting consumes a minimum of electricity, converting most of it into light.
The LED backlight is ergonomic, resistant to voltage surges, and shines with an even and directional light.
Being located inside the structure, it often does not need a substrate, since it does not heat up and does not melt the material of the canvases.
In appearance, it is divided into:
- flat panels;
- spotlights (spotlights);
- slope-adjustable spots;
- fiber optic filaments;
- neon cord (duralight);
- flexible LED strip.
Of the options under consideration, flexible tape and optical fiber are mounted under the material. In this case, transparent and translucent types of film are used as a stretch fabric. Light from the inside allows you to create unique effects on the surface of the panel, sometimes reaching realism.
Their installation is more complicated, especially for fiber-optic filaments, for which holes have to be made in one of the layers to output the diode backlight.
The use of such light sources implies a wide range of shades. In addition to the classic neutral solutions, you can choose options for neon lighting in the palette. Buying LEDs will not be difficult: there is a large assortment of them in every specialized store. You can buy regular varieties or designer ones (for example, in the form of stars, flowers).
The design of the lamps allows you to fit them into any stylistic direction of the interior.
Advantages and disadvantages
Backlit stretch ceilings have a lot of advantages:
- They are not limited in their choice of design, which allows them to implement the most daring creative solutions, taking into account the chosen interior style.
- The frame of these devices is lightweight, it does not create additional load on the ceiling during installation and allows you to combine it with plasterboard systems and versatile lighting.
- These systems make it possible to use in decoration a wide range of spot-type luminaires, models on hangers, panels, soffits, ribbons and spots. For some structures, the installation of spotlights is additionally provided.
- Backlighting can make any image on the canvas realistic and three-dimensional. Today, it can clearly follow the contours and bends of structures, illuminating the design itself and the room, often replacing central lighting.
- The choice of color shades of the backlight is not limited: you can choose design options with varieties of the RGB type. They provide for a change in the color of the luminous flux at the request of the household.
- In the composition of a stretch ceiling, you can use several types of lighting at the same time (for example, a chandelier, spotlights, tape, fiber optic threads). This technique allows you to change the perception of the ceiling space, erasing the boundaries of the ceiling, filling the room with air and lightness.
- These designs are durable. With careful handling and regular care, they will last for many years, while the material will not change its quality characteristics (it will not sag, crack, or age).
- All types of material used have special impregnations, due to which they do not allow water to pass through and exclude the appearance of condensation on the back side, which makes it possible to use this design in rooms and apartment buildings with high humidity.
- Stretch ceilings are resistant to temperature changes and sunlight. They will not fade in the sun, so they can be installed in bright rooms.
- The type of backlight used can often completely replace conventional central lighting. Due to its small and often light form, it can be used in small-sized rooms ("Khrushchev", "Stalinka", "Brezhnevka").
With a lot of advantages, backlit stretch ceilings also have disadvantages. The lack of lamps or their uneven distribution on the surface of the structure forms dark spots in the lighting of the room. The abundance of fixtures is expensive to purchase. At the same time, they are not selected at random: for drawing up, a strict calculation is required, taking into account the total footage… Excessive overall power will affect the harshness of the light, which can be harmful to the eyes.
It is necessary to take into account the temperature, as well as the shade of the luminous flux. For the built-in interior and exterior lighting, the use of yellow and too cold blue tones is unacceptable. When they glow daily, they create a depressing atmosphere, provoking and developing depression.
Age is also important: for older households, purple and blue tones are unacceptable, red shades are contraindicated for everyone, without exception.
Regardless of the type of material used, these systems reduce the height of the walls. With the most laconic design, the ceiling becomes 8-10 cm lower.
In spacious rooms with high ceilings, this is not as important as in tiny apartments with a lack of footage and wall heights (2.3 m). This nuance can create an internal imbalance that cannot always be corrected through lighting.
In addition, none of the types of material used can withstand significant mechanical damage and punctures.
Types of structures
The existing types of stretch ceilings can be divided into several categories.
At the request of the customer, you can make a ceiling:
Laconic designs in one level do not provide for the creation of a drywall box. In this case, the relief is formed using elements that carry a decorative load. These include molding, molding, ceiling plinth, imitation of gypsum stucco molding. It is to them that the backlight is usually attached, therefore, in this case, flexible tape is more often used.
If more light is needed, they use mainly a chandelier, which is distinguished by its lightness of shape and the presence of a mass of small closed shades.
Stretch ceiling options in two levels or more (multi-level structures) look more interesting, give the room versatility, make the overall picture of the style original. Such systems are installed in rooms with high ceilings., often performing bizarre shapes, emphasizing each level with separate backlighting.
The most interesting solution is the zoning technique, allowing you to accentuate individual sections of the ceiling, created by different structures made of plasterboard.
For greater harmony and a successful combination of the ceiling with the interior composition, the illumination is repeated in the decor of furniture, wall decoration.
The design decision of the tensile structure depends on several factors:
- interior stylistics;
- design features of the ceiling;
- color scheme of the overall concept;
- footage of the room;
- the purpose of a particular room;
- budget opportunities.
The complexity of the design depends on your own preferences, as well as the direction of the design. For example, for classic interiors, strict lines and a certain symmetry are preferable. It is allowed to design the box in the form of geometric shapes, to supplement the canvas with moldings and imitation of stucco molding with gilding.
The panel itself for classic design (classics, neoclassics, classicism, Italian style) implies white color and a minimum of pattern. No need to overload the decor with pompous paintings depicting angels, antique gods: palace solemnity is conveyed through furniture details and accessories.
It is important for modern trends to show the manufacturability of the material. Often the focus is on gloss and light shades. This allows you to make the interior elegant, especially if it is complemented by lighting with a metallic sheen that is popular today.
For modern interior compositions, the presence of metal in the arrangement of rooms is important, therefore, a similar illumination will be a completely harmonious completion of the ceiling design.
Interesting solutions today are accents created through photo printing, supplemented for realism by hidden backlighting. The design can be translucent, transparent, floating type.
The most popular prints are celestial and space themes.… The theme of space and the starry sky is perfectly embodied due to the built-in illumination in the form of a ribbon and bundles of optical fibers.
Sometimes, along the perimeter of the drywall box, the design provides for spotlights that can be turned on separately from the general composition.
If you want something new, sometimes special pins and Swarovski crystals are used, complementing them with built-in illuminationto make the jewelry look more attractive.
Other design decisions include accepting color contrast. Usually this is a combination of two or three color shades, one of which is matte white. Compositions with a plain background and a colored niche look original, options with the transition of the stretch fabric to the wall.
The colors of the backlit stretch ceilings are varied. In most cases, they try to choose white as the basis for the design.… It softens any color scheme of interior design, visually makes the ceiling higher and lighter. Among the most harmonious tones, it is worth noting beige, milky, cream and light peach shades.
Warm colors contribute to creating an atmosphere of home comfort, they look beautiful and do not have a negative perception on a person.
The purpose of the room matters. For the bedroom, pastel shades are preferred. taking into account the age and gender of the household. The most popular are beige, ivory, light pink, lilac, bleached turquoise and a combination of gray and pink.
For the design of the kitchen ceiling, you can use dynamic and fresh shades… For example, canvases of yellow, orange and green in combination with white contrast will look beautiful here.
Soft paints are used to decorate the living room.mixing light and saturated colors, if they are in the interior of the room. For example, these are small accents of a stretch canvas, made in wine, gray, sand, chocolate, lilac, orange.
How to choose?
If, when considering the material for decorating the ceiling and the complexity of the structure, doubts arose, you can take into account several nuances that will make it possible to determine the choice:
- Contact a trusted organization with a good reputation for clients. This will minimize the risk of ordering substandard material.
- Carefully consider the texture of different raw materials to make a choice in favor of one of them. Pay attention to reflectivity, choose a color.
- Correlate the width of the panel with the parameters of the ceiling of a particular room. Try to avoid suture technology, take materials with a larger width (more often satin).
- Do not take a glossy canvas if you need to make a wide insert: the seams will look unaesthetic.
- If it is important for you that the canvas does not create emotional stress, choose a matte or satin type of texture.
- Evaluate the quality of the canvas, paying attention to the proposed sample. Consider texture uniformity, density, elasticity.
- If you want the option to create an interior illuminated image, choose a translucent material type.
- The shade of the stretch fabric should be liked, otherwise it will be uncomfortable to be in a room with this design. Take a close look at the shade palette suggested by the seller.
Pay particular attention to the wattage and shape of the bulbs in relation to the style. Simple geometric models are good for modern interiors. (more often in the form of a circle). Sometimes the ceiling space is decorated with spots (if the structure has levels or imitation of beams).
For classics, point options with glass shades or air chandeliers are preferable… If creative directions are chosen as the basis for the design, you can pick up the backlight of an unusual shape. It could even be a visible wire with spots wrapped around it, attached to the main structure.
Whichever design you choose, the tension structure must be compatible with the overall interior concept. Since any room implies the presence of furniture, choose varieties, relying not on the drawing, but on the originality of the texture… Sometimes there are interesting material samples in the catalogs of companies. For example, a suede cloth looks unusual, resembling the texture of the material of the same name.
Such a coating will look quite presentable, even if it is decorated exclusively with spotlights.
Tips & Tricks
Take note of a few guidelines: they will help you choose the style and the right design idea:
- Start from the purpose of the room and its footage. The smaller the room and the lower its ceiling, the simpler the structure should be.
- Try to give preference to light shades of the color palette: they erase the rigid boundaries of the room and do not create the feeling of the heaviness of the ceiling.
- It is undesirable to use a large amount of glossy texture in the bedroom: you will not be able to fully relax, looking at the reflective ceiling.
- Consider a small nuance: the complexity of the design should not interfere with the overall design concept, carefully choose each piece of furniture.
- For the bedroom and nursery, choose matte backlit designs mixed with plasterboard.
- For the corridor, you can choose a product with a glossy texture without a pattern. A minimum of furnishing details allows you to add gloss here.
- If the design is selected for the hallway or corridor, pay attention to the matte photo printing with the image of the sky, supplement it with internal lighting and flexible contour along the perimeter.
- For a nursery, a matte version of the stretch fabric is preferable. To prevent the room from looking boring, apply a colored accent on the material itself or paint drywall.
- Pay attention to the size of the images if you plan to decorate the ceiling with a beautiful pattern. It cannot be large, as this creates a negative perception of space.
- The backlit tensile structure design is usually designed so that the film can be replaced if necessary.
Backlit stretch ceilings are one of the topics discussed on construction forums, as evidenced by numerous reviews and discussions. The craftsmen consider these solutions to be practical, consistent with modernity, durable and reliable, capable of retaining a certain amount of water when leaking from a neighboring apartment from above.
Ordinary customers who equip the ceiling with a tensioning system on their own write that the installation does not actually take much time. The finished result looks beautiful, due to the illumination, it is possible to fill any room with light, even if its windows are small and face the north side.
Many comments are awarded to solutions using plasterboard structures. Stretch canvases, complemented by different curly elements, look interestingif each level is highlighted with flexible lighting or a transparent glowing cord.
Beautiful examples in the interior
We invite you to familiarize yourself with the beautiful design ideas of backlit stretch ceilings.
An example of using an accent in the form of a matte insert with a pattern. Laconic spotlights make up for the lack of light.
An option for decorating the attic ceiling with a stretch film of a matte texture with a space theme pattern. Modest window openings contribute to the lighting of the room backgammon with point devices.
The unusual technique of zoning the guest space by means of a canvas with a reflective effect looks good when supported by curtains of an identical shade.
An unusual solution for decorating an open-plan space. The use of molding allows you to divide the space into separate functional areas. A chandelier decorates the guest area.
A kind of creative share in the design of the guest space. The choice of shades to match the walls and curtains creates an effect of harmony. The satin type of texture fills the room with luxury and elegance.
The choice of a related color in relation to the furniture looks interesting. The combination of two shades in the ceiling finish creates the desired atmosphere. The living room looks stylish and bright.
You can find out detailed instructions for installing a stretch ceiling by watching the video below.