Stretch ceilings began to be produced in Europe about half a century ago. They first appeared in the sixties of the XX century. The first canvases were made of PVC film and were very narrow - only 1.5 meters wide. Therefore, they could be mounted only in a very limited space: in small rooms, a narrow corridor and other utility rooms. For wider areas, two canvases had to be soldered. At the same time, the seam was not very aesthetic. Over time, the maximum size of the ceiling sheet increased, and it became possible to mount the ceiling sheet without a seam.
Features of the
Ceilings can be matte or glossy. The matte surface is versatile. Such a ceiling can be made in a room of any height. The glossy ceiling creates a festive atmosphere in the room, adds solemnity to the atmosphere. It is believed that a shiny surface visually increases the height of the room due to its reflective properties. But as some consumer reviews suggest: too dark a color can create the opposite effect, and then the ceiling plate, instead of increasing, will press with its mass.
The simplest canvases are white. Visually, they resemble a plastered surface. However, when ordering the assembly, you can choose any color or pattern.
Today's technical capabilities make it possible to reproduce any highly artistic work on the ceiling.
Many European brands produce material with special properties. So, there is a special type of canvas that has bactericidal properties - it is resistant to the appearance of fungi and microbes. Such ceilings are actively used in medical institutions, in educational institutions - kindergartens and schools. They can also be installed in children's rooms.
Modern stretch ceilings can have very useful properties. So, there are varieties of ceiling paintings that are resistant to temperature changes. Fire-resistant ceilings will be appropriate in public places such as restaurants or nightclubs, and canvases that can withstand low temperatures can be mounted on unheated loggias and balconies.
With the help of seamless canvases, you can create very interesting design projects - for example, multi-level structures. As auxiliary materials, drywall or gypsum decor - stucco molding can be used. Seamless canvases can also be used as wall decor.
The production process of ceiling sheets consists of several stages. First, the material is impregnated with a special polyurethane compound on both sides, then excess moisture is squeezed out. After that, the canvas is dried and passed through a calender - a special machine in the form of rollers. With its help, fabrics can be given additional density and, if necessary, made more shiny or apply a textured pattern. In the process of calendering, a whole complex of influences of a different nature takes place, which affect the quality of the finished canvas.
At the final stage, a high quality material is obtained, air permeable, lightweight and quite tear-resistant. The weight of such fabric is about 200-250 g / m2, and the maximum width can reach 5 meters. PVC canvas is considered stronger and heavier.
Advantages of seamless canvases
This type of building materials has a number of advantages that make it special and very popular among consumers. Let's consider the main advantages.
- High safety margin. Modern material makes the structure resistant to accidental mechanical damage such as cuts, punctures and tears. Due to the absence of a welded seam, the PVC ceiling can also withstand a certain amount of water in the event of a flood. The ceiling sags and regains its previous shape without deforming.
- Allow air to pass through. There is an opinion that stretch ceilings create a film effect in the room.
Reputable manufacturing firms produce fabrics with micropores through which air flows pass. Thus, there is a constant exchange of air, and a healthy atmosphere is maintained in the room.
- Fade resistant. Reputable manufacturers with a solid reputation provide a 10-year color fastness guarantee.
- Ease of care. Stretch ceiling structures do not require any complex maintenance - sometimes it is enough to wipe them with a damp cloth. The material is antistatic and does not attract dust.
- Stretch ceiling perfectly disguise possible disadvantages of the ceilings themselves. You can also hide various communications behind them.
- Various design options. They can be given any color or design, and if desired, it is easy and quick to change it. This type of material can withstand repeated painting with acrylic paints and even an airbrush. And there are also options for photo printing.
- Ease of installation. Seamless patterns of fabric stretch ceilings are installed without the help of heat guns - which means, without additional energy costs and physical efforts.
- Sound absorption. Stretch ceiling muffles extraneous sounds. This is especially important if your home has thin walls.
Disadvantages of stretch ceilings
Stretch ceilings also have some drawbacks.
- If you install stretch ceilings made of fabric, then it must be borne in mind that they stretch much worse than film. That is why they are installed without heating. This means that if the width of the surface to be decorated is even slightly larger than the maximum five meters, then this option will have to be excluded.
- Fabric ceilings do not hold moisture well. They are considered "breathable", that is, they allow air to pass through due to the available micropores. However, these same micropores are unable to cope with the flow of water in the event of flooding. Therefore, if you live on the top floor, and your roof is leaking, this option is not for you. In this case, it is worth choosing the option of a film canvas.
- Fabric ceilings cannot be made glossy, and there are fewer ready-made color solutions in this version of the company. You can order an individual design, but this will increase the final cost of the product.
- The cost Stretch ceilings of good quality are not affordable for everyone, especially in connection with the increased dollar exchange rate.
- Sophisticated fastening mechanism. When installing fabric ceilings, a special baguette latch is used. It is considered less reliable than the harpoon mechanism used for PVC sheets. Its peculiarity is that if it pops out, then it will be impossible to insert it back.
It is difficult to say exactly which of the European countries was the first to launch mass production of canvases for stretch ceilings. According to some sources, Swedish manufacturers were the pioneers, according to other sources, the first were French and then Belgian companies. Today, in the building materials market, products of German and Swiss manufacturers are valued on a par with other European brands.
One of the leaders in this field of production is the company Clipso from France. The products of this brand are polyester fabrics made from synthetic fibers. Such material has a lower cost compared to natural counterparts.The assortment of the manufacturer includes acoustic, light-transmitting canvases, as well as medical ones with bactericidal properties. Depending on the type, the assortment includes canvases with a usable area of 100 to 510 cm.
The following brand is no less popular Barrisol, which is a Franco-German joint venture. The assortment of the company includes more than 90 different shades and about 10 varieties of decor. The company offers the possibility of choosing canvas of unusual design: with a 3D effect, with decorative textures - for example, with imitation of wood, leather or a concrete wall.
Another French brand Alkor drak surprises his fans with an original product - soaring ceilings.
With the help of LED illumination built around the perimeter, the effect is created that the ceiling does not touch the walls, but hangs in the air. This design technique is not only attractive in appearance, but also allows you to hide the joints of the canvas with the wall.
Company Lackfolie is of German origin, and production facilities are located in the Czech Republic. Therefore, there are often controversial questions about the origin of this brand. The name Lackfolie translates as “varnish film” and speaks for itself: the cloth is made of PVC and has a varnish surface. It has a width of 2 m, and during installation it can stretch no more than 20%. The paints used in the Lackfolie factories do not fade and do not allow water to pass through. In the assortment, you can pick up a film with an original design - for example, with the image of an ancient castle.
Chinese holding MSD New Material Go destroys the generally accepted stereotypes that all goods of Chinese origin are necessarily of low quality. All manufactured products are ISO certified, which means that they comply with international standards. The assortment includes impenetrable canvases, as well as with a maximum width of up to 510 cm. In addition, it offers the consumer a choice of glossy, matte or satin texture in 200 colors.
It is interesting that some companies use the material of this particular company, and then present it as a real European quality. In particular, a German firm Pongs buys from MSD holding 3.2 m wide canvases with the aim of subsequent resale under its own name.
You will learn how to install a seamless stretch ceiling from the following video.