Modern technologies allow you to take a fresh look at the design of your home. Take, for example, the construction of stretch ceilings: PVC film provides a lot of design possibilities. The uniqueness of this material lies in the fact that no other material for finishing the ceiling has similar qualities. Consider the most popular type of design: two-level stretch ceilings; we will study their types, advantages and disadvantages, as well as all the subtleties of choice.
Features of the
Two-level stretch ceilings are a structure of metal profiles with a PVC film canvas fixed to them. Installation is carried out by adding drywall to the structure, which sets the desired design and size of tension inserts. The technology of these systems can be seamless (when the width of the coating is sufficient and is about 5 m) or seam (3.5 m), in which the panels are joined by welding.
Unlike single-level structures, to give volume and relief, gypsum plasterboard forms are mainly used here, rather than plinth and molding.
Such ceilings are easy to install. With detailed step-by-step instructions and the necessary materials at hand, you can install them in no more than a couple of days. At the same time, the result of the finished work will not differ much from the work of experienced craftsmen. This allows you to significantly save your budget by paying more attention to the purchase of high-quality material and simple inventory if it is not available.
The installation process is the fastening of the bearing profiles to the base (ceiling) with the formation of the necessary lines, which are initially marked with maximum accuracy on the drawing, indicating the dimensions. The purchase of a stretch fabric is carried out only after measurements have been taken, in some cases it is purchased after the profiles are installed. It is cut out and sewn up to the box itself or the frame, providing a high adhesion of the profile to the two-level structure. This factor determines the durability of the two-level stretch ceiling.
The cloth is attached in several ways (wedge, glazing or harpoon). More often, the latter method is used for fixing, by welding special hooks to the edges of the panel for pulling the material and attaching it to the frame. Sometimes a special tape is used for fastening. A feature of the installation of tension structures is the heating of the panels by means of a special hair dryer or heat gun.
When heated, the material becomes elastic. First, it is fixed in one corner, then in the opposite one, and only after that in the other two, correcting irregularities. After that, the edges are fixed to the profile or baguette with a step of 8 cm. Technological gaps are masked by means of flexible tape.
If you need to build in the backlight, holes are made on the canvas, not forgetting to protect the film from powerful lamps by means of a thermal insulating ring. This will prevent light sources from touching the film.
The main component of the tensioning structure is the canvas. Most often it is a polyvinyl chloride film, less often fiberglass and polyester textiles are used to decorate the ceiling. The fabric is heat-shrinkable: it is mounted without preheating, it is able to partially absorb moisture. The texture resembles ordinary textiles, excludes the possibility of re-installation. It is used to combine glossy and matte panels at different levels of two-level structures.
Metal or plastic profiles are used as fastening systems. These systems allow you to place the tensioning fabric at different distances in relation to the base. With their help, you can hide various communications if they are located on top. If glazing technology is provided, plastic inserts are used. In other cases, the mount is gapless.
If special shapes are needed, drywall is used, which, if necessary, can be painted or pasted over with wallpaper in the same style as the stretch panel.
A characteristic feature of such structures is the limitless design possibilities: drywall allows you to perform a variety of fantasy lines and shapes, in which tension inserts look special. These designs are recognized as the most aesthetic and convenient type of ceiling decoration for a modern home. They can have a different surface texture, which allows you to choose a variety with the desired effect to decorate any room. Consider the nuances of each type of coverage.
This material is one of the most popular canvases for decorating modern interiors. It is especially harmonious when you need to demonstrate the synthetic base of raw materials and gloss. It is distinguished by its reflectivity, due to which it is used to visually increase the height and width of the walls of small rooms.
However, for all the aesthetics of such a surface, such material creates emotional stress, therefore, it should be used deliberately in the design of a two-level stretch ceiling structure.
An interesting nuance is the increase in reflectivity with increasing color saturation and darkness. In addition, among these coatings there are mirror options, which, along with the expansion of the space, introduce an imbalance in its perception, doubly cluttering the room with details. In addition, such a texture attracts attention, which forces you to think about every element of its decor, from the drawing to the backlighting. At the same time, it is not so easy to maintain, because often after wet cleaning the surface, stains are visible on it.
Such material is appropriate in different directions of interior design, therefore, it can support any style or become its highlight, without interrupting the overall concept of the interior. The matte type of surface in two-level structures is used in combination with glossy coatings, since it is able to soften the harshness of gloss. Matte film is perfectly combined with different backlighting and allows performing complex compositional techniques when both built-in and external backlights are used to add volume and depth.
This film is easy to clean and can be used with a damp cloth, vacuum cleaner for cleaning. Due to its anti-static properties, it repels dust, so the coating almost always looks neat. This type of texture contributes to the creation of a cozy atmosphere, therefore it can be used in any room of the home.
This is especially facilitated by the fact that the appearance of condensation on its surface is impossible; this allows it to be used in rooms with a high percentage of humidity.
This material is another type of film coating. Its distinctive feature is that it is frost-resistant and can be used in unheated rooms (for example, in decorating the ceiling of a summer cottage). This type of coating has been placed in a separate group due to the pearlescent sheen of the surface, which is not characteristic of either matte or glossy types.
In terms of its performance characteristics, this material surpasses the first two analogues. It looks more expensive, aesthetically more attractive and is able to successfully fit into any interior design, regardless of the creativity of its direction. This canvas is expensive, it provides for the decoration of the surface with any decor, up to the drawing. At the same time, it does not compete with decorative elements and lighting.
Advantages and disadvantages
Two-level structures of stretch ceilings have a lot of advantages. Let's designate the most relevant ones.
- The ceilings are durable. Subject to the installation technology, careful care of the coatings and proper cleaning of the surface, they will last more than 10 years.
- Due to the lightness of the components of the structure, they do not create a large weight load, therefore they do not harm the floors of the premises, which allows them to be used in every room of an apartment or house.
- They are distinguished by the ability to independently select the height of the ceiling, which is convenient if it is necessary to mask the height difference of the walls.
- All types of materials used are harmless to health and do not cause allergic reactions, so such structures can be installed in children's rooms.
- They are not limited in color schemes, which allows you to design the ceiling space, taking into account your own taste preferences.
- The material used does not change its properties for a long time, while the texture remains resistant to temperature drops, the formation of fungus and mold.
- Stretch canvases are not exposed to sunlight, so you can decorate the ceiling with rich tones of the color palette without worrying that they will fade.
- Depending on the chosen color, they are able to increase the size of the room, fill it with light, depth and lightness.
- They provide for the use of modern versatile backlighting, which in most cases can adequately replace central lighting.
- Such ceilings can unobtrusively zone the space by means of inserts and shapes of different shades, textures, and create a clear organization of each functional area of the room.
- The sheets are resistant to moisture, in the event of a leak from the apartment from above, they stretch without bursting. After drying, in most cases, they return to their original shape.
- The materials used provide for external and internal lighting, you can make any ceiling design special.
- Two-tiered ceiling types allow you to build in the lighting in such a way as not to create unnecessary holes on the stretch canvas.
The list can be continued for a long time, however, along with the advantages of two-level stretch ceilings, there are also disadvantages. Let's note the main ones:
- Not a single type of material is designed for significant mechanical damage and possible punctures. The appearance of defects is usually accompanied by the dismantling of the tension web.
- Two-tier structures conceal the height of the walls (from 10 cm or more), therefore their use in the premises of small-sized apartments (Khrushchev and Brezhnevka) is not always possible.
- The design of small rooms requires a special approach so as not to visually overload the interior.
- Two-level stretch ceilings are more expensive than their single-level counterparts. At the same time, almost always for their creation, a design project is required for the specific dimensions of the room, which forces us to contact the designer, and this entails additional expenses.
- When performing curly lines, you will have to maintain an identical width, which will require more concentration of attention. In addition, it is difficult if the ceiling has a height difference.
- The canvas has to be cut out especially accurately, otherwise it may be expressed in its sagging or lack. While square corners are easier to handle, sharp and gapless design elements on double levels can be difficult for a layman to do.
The palette of shades of tension structures with two levels is multifaceted. If necessary, you can perform a two-level design in several shades of the same color, differing in different degrees of saturation. This technique allows, without violating the integrity of the composition, to give any room an organization. Conventionally, all types of paints can be divided into several ranges:
White remains the favorite among the tones: it is able to bring a positive into any interior, make the room visually lighter, fill it with air, soften the perception with an abundance of dark tones, and create balance. However, if it is used with a black tone, the perception changes: the absence of vivid (color) tones deprives a space with a black and white ceiling of cheerfulness.
Therefore, white often takes on the desired color due to the contrast with which it is customary to complement it. For example, if you add light gray and beige to it, it will already look different.
Designers pay attention to the importance of adding white to the design of a double ceiling structure with a stretch canvas.
Pastel shades look better than others in the design of stretch ceilings in two rows. They are perfectly combined with white and allow you to bring comfort to the room. Some tones (for example, delicate turquoise, caramel, mint, light peach, ivory and pink) are selected according to an individual project, starting from the general concept of the style.
In this case, you can build on the color of the wall decoration, furniture or certain significant accessories and even photo wallpaper.
The use of natural (natural) tones often does not depend on the chosen style, therefore, they are guided so that it suits different design, because the wallpaper is changed more often. In this case, it is important that the tone is not dark and expressionless. The most popular color is beige of varying degrees of saturation. It can be light, bright, while it is important that the color does not match the tone of the furniture. Other tones include brown, which is more often used in glossy canvases.
They try to apply saturated colors in dosage, combining with light shades or white. This is due to the fact that bright colors attract all the attention. If there are few of them, it makes light colors expressive. When saturated contrasts dominate, a color imbalance is created throughout the interior. In this group, lilac, violet, yellow, wine and burgundy are most in demand today. Difficulties in work include blue, bronze, orange.
Lighting of two-level structures of stretch ceilings is of great importance. It is it that is capable of stretching any design, including laconic design options. It can be conventionally divided into two types: built-in and external. In the classic version, these are chandeliers on pendants or other fixtures or flat panels of the surface type. Their lightness of form often differs from the usual models of central luminaires: they have many small high-power luminaires.
Usually, a modern type of light source - LEDs - is used as lighting for such ceilings. In terms of their technical characteristics and performance, they are in many ways superior to any known types of lamps. But this is only on condition that they were bought in a reliable store of a certain manufacturer, time-tested and marked by a lot of positive reviews.
In the process of operation, they consume a minimum of electricity, almost all of it is converted into light, therefore they almost do not heat up when turned on.
The main types of built-in lighting are spotlights (soffits), spots (lighting devices with the ability to adjust the angle of inclination), cord and flexible LED strip. Fiber optic threads are considered unusual solutions used mainly for decorating stretch fabrics of a translucent and transparent type. When mixed, their thicknesses create realistic effects, illuminating the ceiling from the inside (for example, the effect of twinkling stars).
The tape is distinguished by its ability to clearly repeat the shape and any bend, while it is easy to install and can be fixed to the cornice. These light sources are harmless, do not contain mercury, do not emit toxins, and shine with an even and directed light. Therefore, in order to exclude dark unlit areas in the interior, it is often necessary to place them at the same distance from each other along the perimeter of the box or along the curly line of drywall. Their design is almost always laconic, but it fits well into the design of any conceived idea.
The spots are remarkable in that they can be mounted on false beams or other projections.provided in the design of two-level tension structures with plasterboard.
Style and design
The complexity of two-level structures of stretch ceilings, as well as the use of a certain texture, depend on the chosen direction of interior design. If these are decisions that relate to classic, neoclassic, classicism, Italian style, it is important to show the elements of palace solemnity. You can take white or light beige as a basis. It is allowed to combine matte and glossy textures, drawing up U-shaped levels. This can be a certain lacquer accent of a geometric shape located in the center of the room (for example, a square, an oval).
It is desirable that the design provides for symmetry: this is the hallmark of classical trends. To add luxury, you can decorate the design with elements with gilding or imitation of plaster stucco molding, or choose a satin canvas, decorating it with, say, photo printing in the form of gilded lace around the edges.
However, with visible luxury, the design should not be pompous: it is important to leave this role as a demonstration of furniture and accessories.
If we are talking about modern trends, they are divided into two types: minimalist (minimalism) and elegant (modern, hi-tech, brutalism, bionics). At the same time, both categories are characterized by functionality and demonstration of modern technologies, including through the selected texture. It is important to show the synthetic component here, which the glossy type of coating, decorated with lamps of an ergonomic shape, will perfectly cope with.
The lines of structures are often curly, although often the ceiling space is decorated with round gypsum plasterboard elements that accentuate the central part of the ceiling.
If a certain vintage direction is chosen as the basis for the idea, which can immerse in the desired era, then, most likely, you will have to play up the design with matte stretch panels, choosing angular and simple shapes for decoration, if this is the style of French villages. For luxurious interiors, which include baroque and rococo, it is worth taking a closer look at the ceilings with satin sheen and plaster decorations.
If in simple compositions it is appropriate to decorate the ceiling with matte lamps with a simple design and a single shade, chandeliers on suspensions will look better here.
It should be noted the creative style, for example, popular styles loft and grunge … In this case, it is undesirable to demonstrate the gloss of the ceiling surface. Since the appearance of the interior should resemble an inhabited industrial facility, it is better to take a matte texture as a basis. In this case, it is allowed to apply a pattern with an imitation of even concrete. The main thing in this case is the correct choice of luminaires, which can be beaten by means of spots with imitation of communication systems.
If you want more creativity, you can finish in the form of an accent in a light gray or white lime color, making a transition to one of the walls or to a partition that separates different functional areas. Such a design will be memorable and impressive.
An interesting design decision today is the use of photo printing. The process involves applying an image of any color and size to the surface of the coating. It can be selected from the catalog or ordered at will, using a picture of high quality and sharpness for decoration.
However, in order for the image to be successful, they try to select motives in positive colors, as well as drawings without perspective, which creates a negative effect (for example, huge flowers and birds are undesirable, a view of a person from below, military equipment).
A popular subject today is the celestial theme. These are daytime motifs depicting the sky, clouds, sunbeams, as well as the mysterious space. The top of design art can be called a two-level composition with a starry sky theme, which is created using composite illumination, embedding it inside the tension structure and leading to the network. At the same time, for realism, you can use the desired image, choosing for the effect of greater realism the fiber-optic threads in the places where the stars are drawn.
Of great importance in the design of the double ceiling design is the purpose of the room. The color and type of texture of the material depends on this. Let's consider several options.
Hallway and corridor
These rooms often have no windows, which makes them uncomfortable. The main task is to replenish the lighting. At the same time, the design of a two-level structure should not be massive, otherwise you can create a negative perception of space.
Ease of design is welcomed, for example, it is enough to emphasize a small part of the ceiling space by means of a stretch canvas, softening the design with white and a monochromatic coating.
If there are few things in the hallway, or they are hidden in the hallway closet, it is quite appropriate to use a glossy texture for decoration. This will visually play up the lack of light and the lack of footage, which is usually inherent in hallways. If the corridor is part of an open plan, you can select it using a separate box or a curly line of one of the levels. In this case, you can combine two different shades or play with the texture using a matte and glossy type of the same white color.
Dynamic colors are appropriate here. Contrasts can be surprising. For example, a light gray mix with a contrasting wine color insert, chosen for different zones of the kitchen, will look original. So that the combination of tones is not harsh, you can choose an imitation of natural material, embodying it in a gray shade through a pattern.
However, when choosing extraordinary solutions, it is important to understand that for harmony in combination, they must be repeated in the details of the interior composition. It can be a rare vase of an unusual shape, a curtain or other small piece of furniture (up to a flower or the color of a panel drawing).
The technique of versatility using two tones is also appropriate. You can decorate the ceiling with a glossy pale green canvas and emphasize it in a more saturated tone. To prevent the design from looking boring, the shades should be diluted with white. So in the kitchen and lightness will not be disturbed, and freshness will be felt. The complexity of the two-level design will depend on the size of the kitchen: if it is combined with the living room or dining room, you can make a transition with a curly line, subtly separating two functional areas.
This room is the heart of any home, so we will pay special attention to it. It should be comfortable in it. Therefore, the priority is glossy and satin options for panels: they will add elegance to the interior, a certain amount of elegance and will not allow the design to be boring. To create comfort, it is preferable to choose warm and light shades of the color palette: they will suit all households, and will not have negative energy.
If this is an apartment of a young family, you can add purple, yellow, sand color to the design. In addition, let's say a blue tint mixed with purple due to photo printing of a drawing of, say, a stellar nebula. If elderly people live in the house, such tones are undesirable for them: they will cause the development of depression, even if there are not many of them in the design. The perception of young people is different: it will seem to them that the room is filled with freshness.
Everyone will be satisfied with beige tones, the use of white, light peach, milky colors. It is undesirable to decorate the two-tiered ceiling structure of the living room with a pink tint: this color creates discomfort for men. The same applies to lilac.
Avoid red and black dyes in the design of stretch fabrics: they carry negative stress and are sources of irritability.
It is worth mixing matte canvases with satin or glossy ones. It will look beautiful. If possible, emphasize different levels with spotlights: this will make tiered systems more elegant. Use light sources with a warm shade of luminous flux for backlighting. If you want to change the perception, decorate one of the tiers with RGB LED strip. Optionally, you can change the shade of the glow from white to purple, varying the color according to your mood.
The interior of the bedroom needs light colors and a relaxing atmosphere. Matte and satin finishes are applicable here. The former will allow you to relax as much as possible, the latter will add luxury to the interior. To make the design look unusual, you can make a small accent using photo printing by making the transition of the stretch canvas to the wall at the headboard. If you choose a matte texture, you can decorate it with simple patterns. Such an accent will clearly define the sleeping area and set the basic mood for the design.
To enhance the harmony of the ceiling and interior design, repeat the lighting elements on the walls or cabinet facade. You can use the dressing table by highlighting it with identical spots or a cord.
Avoid large patterns: they are inappropriate here. Monochromatic contrasts with a predominance of white look better in the bedroom. Use warm colors to promote relaxation.
Matte texture looks good in the nursery. It contributes to a better perception of space. However, for zoning, you can use a small contrasting insert, decorating it in the working area of the room. In this case, the material should be selected in such a way that the reflectivity is not large.otherwise it can be distracting, which is especially undesirable for schoolchildren.
The color of the stretch fabric can match, for example, the finish of the rack. In this case, you can perform a separate illumination of each section of the room using small spotlights.
Do not overload the design by choosing unthinkable complex designs based on two tiers. In this case, it is worth betting on the pleasant tone and hobbies of the child. For example, for a teenager, you can choose an option in the form of a spaceship porthole, depicting the accent of this theme.
How to choose?
Let's note the basic principles of the choice of tension structures and their design. This will allow you to decide which option is more suitable in a particular case.
- If you want to save money, you can buy the film yourself in a specialized store: they are sold in rolls, which is convenient for transportation. When buying, consider the width of the material so as not to think about welding seams in the future.
- If you have conceived a specific design, entrust it to professionals: order a specific pattern that will bring the desired mood into any space. At the same time, give preference to matte or satin varieties: photo printing looks better and more expressive on them.
- If you want to decorate the attic with a two-level structure, try to emphasize the matte surface texture, diluting it with a small accent of a glossy finish.
Avoid dark colors in the attic: there is often not enough light here.
- To embody complex creative ideas, you should think about combining with drywall. By themselves, matte and glossy canvases look easier.
- Film materials are good for the kitchen and bathroom. They are easier to care for. Try to choose cheerful tones and textures with little reflectivity.
- If you need to design a ceiling in a room with a staircase leading to the attic, choose a design that will beat the opening that leads to the rooms on the upper floor.
Beautiful examples and options
To appreciate the role of decorating the space of different rooms of the dwelling, let us turn to examples of photo galleries, considering various examples of the design of a 2-level stretch ceiling.
- An example of emphasizing the sleeping area with a laconic but stylish design with a satin texture of the material.
- Dilution of lilac and brown tones of the interior by means of a white matte texture with separate illumination of each functional area.
- An example of using warm blue with white contrast from drywall demonstrates the lightness of the design.
- The contrast of white with light beige conveys the atmosphere of home comfort. A light chandelier is a stylish accent of a stretch structure.
- The ceiling with an asymmetric triangular insert in black with a mirror effect adds complexity to perception, while successfully dividing the open-plan space.
- The use of a glossy canvas with an air chandelier in the guest area of the room is successfully combined with the finishing of the box for a small dining space in the form of a bar table with chairs.
- The original design of the combined type with plasterboard, made in strict geometric shapes, is successful for decorating a spacious living room.
- A laconic solution for a child's teenager using a glossy warm white coating, using different lamps: panels for the working area and spot lighting from the opposite side.
- Stylish ceiling design with glossy yellow color. Accentuating the dining space with the transition of material to the wall.
- Living room decoration in a classic style with a glossy stretch ceiling, decoration in the form of a luxurious chandelier and small festive lamps of the same style.
- A clever move in creating a bright contrast: the use of gray and wine tones brings a special mood to the interior of the kitchen.
- This design will be appreciated by the twins: a small glossy insert with a sky pattern in the shape of a circle, decorated in a ring with illumination, fits well into a room made in beige and blue tones.
- The combination of white and brown tones fits well into a setting with a lot of bright furnishings.
For information on how to properly install a two-level stretch ceiling, see the next video.