If you are flooded by neighbors, then you need to know how to drain the water from the canvas that has accumulated there. Such a nuisance can happen around the clock, and you need to pump out the water quickly. Also, water in the stretch ceiling can accumulate for other reasons.
Causes of moisture
The overall impression of the interior depends on how the ceiling looks. The ceiling covering ennobles the room and gives the room a cozy look.
In life, there are different circumstances, unforeseen situations. There are a number of factors that cause water to appear in the ceiling structure.
- malfunction of the washing machine;
- defects in the storm sewer system;
- problems in the sewer system;
- rupture of pipes of the heating system;
- leaks in pipes with cold water;
- leaks in hot water pipes.
If your neighbors did not turn off the water tap or if it was torn off, or even burst the pipe, the ceiling will be flooded with clean water. But here its temperature is very important. Cold or barely warm water will not cause significant damage to the stretch ceiling, unlike hot water, which, once it gets on the film, can deform and completely ruin it.
Situation with a breakthrough in the sewer system or its clogging - an even more sad case, since the ceiling will also become dirty.
To avoid future mold stains, the ceiling should definitely be cleaned after you drain the water.
The highest floor is a potential risk of flooding due to a clogged rain shower. As a result, street water will get on your ceiling. After the repair work, it will be necessary to dry and wash the film.
In the event of a failure of the washing machine or dishwasher at the residents from above, your ceiling will be flooded with soapy water. Its volume may be minimal, but it will definitely not be clean. Subsequently, you will also need to wash the canvas. The worst option would be flooding with hot liquid.
In such a situation, urgent water removal is required before it has time to ruin the ceiling covering.
Flooding due to bursting heating pipes is also a big problem. Water not only can be hot, but it will also differ in technical characteristics from tap water, therefore it will greatly affect the surface of the ceiling.
Ceiling flooding can also occur in a one-story building. For example, if the roof needs repair and there are holes in it, through which water can seep into the cavity of the stretch film.
How much weight can the canvas support?
The frame on which the suspended ceiling is supported is a very important element of the strength index. Professionals advise using an aluminum profile for installation. It is lightweight, reliable, withstands long-term operational load.
Another plus is that if you want to change the color of the ceiling, you only need to buy a new film, and the frame will remain unchanged.
The choice of fasteners is also an important element that affects strength. It is necessary to use hardware from trusted manufacturers that guarantee the quality of products. A certain type of polypropylene dowels and self-tapping screws is selected for each type of surface.
The decorative edge over the entire surface of the ceiling is not only a decoration, but also a sealing of joints. Its choice must be approached carefully. It is she who will protect the junction and prevent water from seeping.
If all the conditions for installation and selection of ceiling elements are met, then it will be able to withstand the weight of about 100 liters of liquid per square meter of area.
If the water no longer arrives, then it can remain there for an almost unlimited amount of time. But don't risk it in vain. Water trapped in a confined space for a long time can lead to the multiplication of mold spores.
The stretched surface of the ceiling in case of accidental contact with a sharp object or the edge of the chandelier can simply burst. There is a risk of film separation if the water column presses against the joint.
The flood needs to be liquidated within a few days. This is the optimal time for repairs.
If a decision is made to liquidate the bay on their own, without the involvement of specialists, then common mistakes should be avoided:
- The most common mistake is incorrect determination of the amount of liquid in the suspended structure… It is necessary to correctly calculate how many available tools are needed to accommodate the flushed water. If the volume of water is too large, it may be necessary to dry not only the film, but also the concrete base. It is recommended to treat all areas with antiseptic compounds.
- Independence. It is very difficult for one person to do all the manipulations, since you will not be able to move away from the structure.
- Punctures of the canvas. Under the pressure of the volume, even the smallest hole will disperse and everything around will be flooded with water.
- Moving water along the ceiling to the drain point will not help, but will further aggravate the situation. Because the water will spill over the entire surface of the ceiling.
- Smooth the ceiling experts independently prohibit. This harms him and deforms him. A household hair dryer will not help you dry the ceiling and restore the finish. This is a hopeless occupation. This kind of work can only be done with a professional heat gun.
- If you know that there is boiling water in the ceiling, do not forget about thermal gloves.
In order not to face a complete replacement of PVC film, it is better to entrust this business to professionals. Stretch ceilings do not allow water to pass through and this advantage will give you time to call a repair team.
The most important recommendation in case of ceiling flooding is to set aside panic. The invited specialists will cope with any problem. It's much better than trying to do it yourself. Due to unprofessional actions, the situation can only get worse.
The main steps you can take while you are waiting for the repair crew are:
- First, visit your neighbors and find out what happened to them. Then you will be able to provide the necessary information to the renovator about what type of water is in your ceiling.
- Ask the tenants from above if there is more water flowing, if all the taps are closed. It’s in your best interest to go to them and offer your help.
- Having eliminated the source of flooding, shutting off the common riser of water, you can take care of furniture and valuable things that are in the room. Even if there is a huge sagging bubble of water in front of you, from your point of view, absolutely safe, do not be lazy. Move items and furniture out of the room, as a small leak may occur when draining the water. Large-sized furniture can be protected with foil.
- Disconnect the electricity supply.
Let's consider some points in more detail:
Before starting to liquidate the flood, you should take care of your safety and cut off the electricity. To do this, you need to unscrew the plugs or just turn off the machines on the electrical panel near your apartment. Liquid that oozes down the walls can reach the electrical wiring to the lighting fixtures. This could lead to a short circuit
- If suddenly a smell of burnt rubber appears in the air, you need to immediately call an electrician. The wiring may catch fire.
- Since electricity and water are practically incompatible things, safety issues must be taken seriously. If you can still drain the water from the ceiling, you can still try to do it yourself, then the repair of electrical wiring is exactly beyond the bounds of ordinary human capabilities. Only professionals in their field will deal with the situation here.
How to drain without damage?
The choice of liquid removal method depends on the location of the sag and on the design features of the ceiling. There are two options:
- Drainage of water through lighting fixtures, if there is a special hole near the place of sagging;
- Descent over the edge of the web by detaching from the fastening elements. It can be used if there are no special holes near the sagging site.
Let us consider in detail the procedure for draining water.
How to pump out liquid using the lighting hole:
- disconnect appliances from electricity;
- bring water containers, the more the better;
- dismantle the lamp;
- very carefully move the canvas down and hold until the entire volume of water has drained;
- the canvas must be pulled down until the water flow stops;
- if the bubble is too large, the help of a second master is needed, who will lift it up while the water flows down.
It is necessary to focus on several points:
- The contours of the holes in the tensioning fabric are additionally reinforced with a special ring. When the canvas is pulled downwards, you need to deftly fix this element with your fingers, threading them into the hole. If you grip the ring incorrectly, there is always the risk of damaging it.
- When the last drop of water falls into the container, the repair can be considered successful. But do not rush to install the lamps. Not earlier than a week later, it is recommended to put them back on and turn on the electricity again. It is necessary to exclude the risk of a short circuit, so speed is not the main thing in this matter.
The procedure for draining water with dismantling the edge:
- find out to which segment of the perimeter the bubble hangs closest;
- pull the canvas out of the profile;
- drain the liquid by sliding the bubble to the edge.
How to detach the film from the profile in the case of a wedge construction:
- remove the glazing bead;
- pry on a triangular wedge;
- stretch it to the desired distance;
- release the film.
In the case when the film snaps to the ceiling profile, it acts as a clothespin, into which the canvas is inserted with the help of tools. To detach the edge of the film, you need to click on it near the profile itself. You will not be able to adjust the edge of the canvas on your own. This issue is solved by masters with professional equipment.
The harpoon ceiling is the most common type of stretch ceilings. To dismantle it, you need a spatula. If it is not at hand, you can try to do it with a regular plastic card.
Drying and processing
After all the work done, it is unlikely that it will be possible to restore the original appearance of the ceiling immediately. The film will ripple at the sagging site.
To level the coating, you need to have a professional heat gun. It heats the air in the room up to + 50 ° С. After cooling, the coating will become perfectly even and smooth.
Ceiling drying process is not the fastest. Humidity can cause mold. Therefore, the leakage area and the concrete base must be treated with antiseptics before returning the web to its place. It is best to use aerosols.
The process of restoring the ceiling must be carried out using a heat gun or a building hair dryer. Depending on the type of ceiling, the dried film is installed. Final drying may take a week.
This time is needed so that all moisture evaporates and a short circuit does not occur.
To avoid flooding the ceiling, it is best for residents to make waterproofing on top of their floor, that is, put a layer of roofing material on the screed or make a coating layer with bitumen mastic. Then the water will not flow down. This method requires an investment of money and time. Not every neighbor will agree to this. After all, you will have to dismantle the old coating, lay a waterproofing layer and return the topcoat (tiles, linoleum) again. This method is not effective if water flows over the floors between floors. No one will do such a complex repair just like that. But if renovation is underway above you, it makes sense to talk about it with the tenants.
It is not difficult to remove water and restore the appearance of the ceiling covering if you strictly follow the advice of professionals in this field.
You can find out more information on this issue by watching the video below.