Acrylic paint is becoming more and more popular every year. It is easy to operate and environmentally friendly. Today it is used in many fields of activity: construction, nail service, in creativity. The technique of performing work with this paint can be different. We will talk about how to use acrylic paints in this article.
Features of the
This paint has a number of advantages over other paints and varnishes.
She is appreciated for:
- practicality in application;
- practicality in operation;
- environmental friendliness.
How to choose?
The choice of paint begins with determining the method of use: indoor, decorative or applied. The composition of the paint is of two types: organic and synthetic. Each of them is based on artificial resins. To create a coloring pigment, dyes are used. Artificial pigments appear in vibrant and rich color, while natural base in pastel colors.
As already mentioned, acrylic is a universal type of paints and varnishes. It can be used in any room. Acrylic dye is not afraid of moisture. You don't have to be a craftsman to gently cover any surface with it. First of all, buyers choose the material by color, then refer to the information about the purpose. It can be found on the packaging. Sometimes the paint is resistant, for ceilings, for facades or for interior work.
So, usually there are several types of acrylic paints:
- Wear-resistant the paint is recommended for rooms with high humidity levels.
- Deep matt and matte paints are suitable for walls and ceilings in dry rooms. They hide small and insignificant irregularities, are easy to apply and are breathable. Before that, it is necessary to remove the whitewash from the ceiling.
- Glossy paint does not hide irregularities, visually enhances texture.
The range of colors is wide. There is an opportunity to make the shade yourself; for this, colors are used. They interfere with the white and create the desired shade. Kohler is a concentrated paint. It can be thick and runny.
White paint is classified into milky white, white and super white. For the purity of the shade, it is better to use the last two colors.
It is enough to observe the following points in order to mix the paint with the color correctly:
- carefully read the instructions and the color card;
- use paint and color scheme from the same manufacturer;
- mix them in a separate container;
- you only need to mix the amount that you need to use for painting at the moment.
Paint for outdoor use used to cover the facades of the house and other items in the open air. There are two types of paint for facade works: water-based paint and based on organic compounds. The second is especially good for work at low temperatures in winter. It lays down evenly and dries quickly at negative temperatures. Acrylic paint has high wear resistance, high protection and strength, so it is suitable for concrete products. The paint protects concrete from weather and mechanical stress.
Acrylic-based coating is also chosen for wooden products. It has the following properties:
- resistance to changes in temperature and moisture;
- wear resistance does not allow cracks to form on the wooden floor;
- retains color for ten years;
- vapor permeability is inherent in it;
- dries quickly;
- easy to use;
- no need to peel off the old coat to apply a new coat of paint.
Artists and designers use acrylic for painting furniture, creating patterns on glass, drawings on fabric and for painting. There is acrylic for children's creativity - this paint is brighter and is easily erased. It is non-toxic and is stored in plastic jars. There are also paints that have special properties, such as glow in the dark, fluorescent and pearlescent.
Paint for decorative works available in jars and tubes. Both forms of storage are convenient to use. Tubes can be purchased individually. It is worth noting that paint cans and tubes come in different sizes. Acrylic paints on fabrics are distinguished by their elastic properties. When heated with an iron, they acquire a plastic structure and penetrate into the fabric. After dyeing, it is recommended to wash the clothes in the hand wash mode.
Acrylic paint for nails also stored in jars and tubes. The material in the jars is needed to create the pattern with a brush or other tools. If necessary, the paint can be diluted with water. Thanks to the narrow spout at the end of the tube, paints are ready for use right away. Tubes can also be purchased per piece.
Types of surfaces
As already mentioned, acrylic paint has a universal property - it is used on different types of surfaces. Acrylic is "friendly" even with previously painted surfaces. The material can be easily applied to the water-based paint, since both coatings are created on the same base. Acrylic paint can be used over oil paint. In this case, it is necessary to sand the painted area to increase adhesion. Acrylic paint evenly lays on the latex coating, as they have a similar composition.
The painted surface does not have to be specially prepared. In this case, sanding is only needed to level the walls. Alkyd and acrylic paints are completely different in composition, so it is not recommended to use one coat over another. It is better to clean off the alkyd paint, prime the surface and apply a new color.
This cleaning process is also suitable for enamel paint. The enamel should be removed from the surface, the wall should be cleaned and the prepared area should be painted with acrylic paint.
Preparation usually takes place by sanding and coating with various types of primers. The soil plays the role of a sealant, it penetrates the cracks in the surface, creating a denser structure of the product. Preparation of plywood for painting takes place in several stages:
- grinding - at this stage, defects and irregularities are removed with the help of sandpaper, it is important to create a smooth top layer;
- covering with the first layer of primer;
- after drying, it is sanded again from small and insignificant irregularities and dust is removed;
- coating with a second layer of primer;
- after complete drying, the plywood is ready for painting
The plastic is prepared as follows:
- removal of dirt and dust;
- sanding - the surface must be rough to increase adhesion;
- before applying the primer layer, degrease the plastic with alcohol;
- the surface is ready for painting.
Chipboard is prepared in several stages:
- if the chipboard product is an element of furniture, then it is necessary to unscrew all the fittings;
- if necessary, remove the old layer of paint and varnish material and grind;
- remove contamination;
- degrease with white spirit;
- in the presence of cracks, putty, again rub the irregularities with sandpaper, remove dirt, and then prime;
- after the primer has completely dried, you can start painting.
To create a creative interior of the room, you can paint the wallpaper with paint. For correct application, several important points should be observed:
- Choose paintable wallpaper. They come in different types.Glass fiber is the best choice for acrylic paints.
- The color of the wallpaper may vary, but it is better to choose a white wallpaper for bright shades of paint.
- You can paint the wallpaper only after the glue has completely dried.
- You can paint with a brush or roller. For textured wallpapers, a spray gun is more suitable, as it completely paints the wall.
When painting wallpaper, the rule also applies: matte paints hide imperfections, glossy paints visually increase structure.
To prepare for painting concrete, you need to follow several points:
- Check the moisture content of the concrete. If the concrete product is relatively new (less than a month from the date of manufacture), then it should not be painted. The paint will crack and fall off from moisture. You can check the moisture level as follows - stick a 1 m2 plastic bag to the wall with tape. If condensation remains on the film within 24 hours, then such concrete should not be painted.
- If necessary, level the wall with two layers of putty. The second layer should be thin and as even as possible.
- Then you need to sand the walls with sandpaper.
- Cover with a concrete primer in 2-3 layers, waiting for each layer to dry completely.
Polyfoam is a universal insulation. Sometimes it appears as a finishing surface. This kind of plane is not so easy to paint with any paint, but acrylic compounds are very good for this. The foam cover must be properly prepared for good adhesion and even coloring:
- Clean from dirt and settled dust.
- Cover with acrylic primer.
- The foam has a very smooth surface, so the primer will run off and create an embossed surface. Hence, the grinding point is very important. It is imperative to wait until the primer is completely dry.
- The foam is ready for painting.
As already described earlier, acrylic paint is not afraid of temperature changes, therefore, it is suitable for painting hot radiators. Such metal products are prepared in compliance with the following rules:
- choose acrylic paint with rust protection or paint for metal;
- clean the old coating with an iron brush;
- degrease with white spirit;
- apply a primer to the entire painted area;
- the surface is ready for painting.
Painting brick walls doesn't require any special skills. The acrylic coating does not bubble or crack when the warm brick structure is in the cold. Brick preparation is as follows:
- clean the surface from dirt;
- you need to grind not only the surface of the bricks, but also between them;
- prime with acrylic primer;
- check the surface for irregularities and start painting.
There are special acrylic paints for glass. Glass products are prepared as follows:
- cleaned of contamination and degreased with alcohol or special solutions;
- then paint is applied in a thin layer;
- to create a stained-glass window, you can use stencils - they are placed under the glass and outlined along the lines with contour acrylic paints;
- the contour dries up in 25-30 minutes, then you can paint it with colored paints. They dry in about 24 hours.
Fiberboard has a porous structure. Therefore, the stages of preparing such material will be as follows:
- clean from contamination;
- degrease with white spirit;
- saturate the surface with a composition of drying oil (using a paint brush);
- after drying, paint can be applied.
Wood surfaces are porous. When preparing for painting, the following rules should be observed:
- remove the old layer of paint;
- clean from dirt and dust;
- remove all accessories;
- grind with sandpaper or a special tool;
- fill in all cracks and irregularities and grind again;
- apply 1-2 coats of primer;
- the wooden product is ready for painting.
Plaster is suitable as a base for wall painting. When painting this surface, you should adhere to the basic painting rules: cleaning, sanding, priming, coating.
Acrylic dyes are versatile in use. Thanks to its water-based formulation, acrylics can be made thinner without special solutions. This requires the simplest tools found in every home.
How to paint?
The brush is a versatile tool for painting and drawing. Use wide flat paint brushes to create a solid color. For more complex surfaces (pipe, battery) use a round brush. For drawing, you can use both paint brushes and art brushes. The Linear Brush is a flat, short-haired brush. It is suitable for creating straight lines.
It should be remembered that art brushes for acrylic should be chosen from synthetics or bristles.
There are manicure brushes. It is recommended to work with such tools in bright light and with a palette. Large flat areas are painted over with a roller. It is chosen according to the length and composition of the coat. The longer the pile of the fur coat, the more textured the coating will be. For a smooth finish, use felt or nylon rollers. Mini-rollers are used when painting corners, joints or transferring a pattern using a stencil. When working with a roller, use a special tray.
The paint from the spray gun is widely sprayed, therefore, a protective mask and protective clothing should be used when working.
How to paint?
Regular surface painting is feasible for any person. In this case, you must follow a number of rules:
- Cover all non-staining areas with paper or masking tape (windows, floor, plinth).
- You can prepare the surface and cover it with acrylic paint using a simple scheme from the corners and openings to the center. The corners are painted with a brush or a small roller, for the rest of the area it is better to take a large roller.
- The spray gun is used for painting large surfaces, for example, for the roof of a house, the facade of a building. A spray gun nozzle with a smaller spray angle is used in the room. Water-based paint can be thinned with water in the amount of 10-15% of the total volume.
- It is difficult to work with a color scheme, it is quite laborious work. You need to mix paint and color in a separate bowl. First, the main color is poured, and then the color is added in a small amount, in portions. It is necessary to thoroughly mix the composition until a uniform color so that streaks do not form.
Facade acrylic paint is best suited for painting the facade. The coloring rules are as follows:
- Before painting the facade, you should prepare the surface depending on its type (concrete, wood). Then all places are covered, which must be protected from paint ingress. Large areas are best painted with a roller or spray gun.
- The choice of the color of the facade depends on the color of the roof of the house. Landscape designers recommend using a combination of brown and green colors to visually create a cozy house made of wood. Experts advise to paint the blind area of the house and doors in a dark color. It should be remembered that the house will appear larger if its color is light.
Painting furniture: a master class for beginners
With the help of acrylic paint, you can turn an old cabinet into a beautiful piece of furniture. To do this, you need to follow these simple rules:
- After thorough sanding, the surface must be primed with white acrylic paint.
- We paint the carved inserts on the doors in a contrasting color, for example, black. You can do the thread yourself.
- On the tabletop of the curbstone, we display the drawing with a roller using a stencil. For people who have a lot of experience with paint, you can sketch with a pencil and color it by hand.
Correct use of manicure paints
With acrylic paint, you can create an individual design on your nails. It is very easy to do this:
- after cosmetic manicure, the nail is covered with the main color of the gel polish;
- then the drawing is applied with acrylic using a special manicure brush;
- After 3 minutes of drying, the surface can be coated with a clear gel nail polish.
The color of the varnish depends on the desired pattern. But there are several basic rules that nail service masters follow:
- dark and bright colors of varnish are suitable for short nails: red, black, burgundy, purple and others;
- for long nails, it is better to choose delicate colors and shades: beige, white, pink, milky, etc.
Paint consumption is calculated only for painting work. In other cases, these items are not relevant (artwork, nail polish). Consumption is indicated on the package. It all depends on the type of paint and the manufacturer. You can calculate the required volume by determining the area to be painted. The consumption of paint, the porosity of the surface and the number of layers (usually 1-2) are important.
The packaging may indicate a value of 1 l / m2. This means that one liter of paint can paint one square meter of the area. As a rule, the error is indicated based on the porosity of the surface - 0.1-0.25 l / m2. 0.1 / m2 - for a smooth and dense surface, 0.25 / m2 - for an absorbent and porous surface.
You should not save on paint by diluting it with water. The composition will have a liquid structure, which will create additional layers of stains.
How long does it dry?
The coating dries depending on the layer thickness, but not for a long time - most often from a few minutes to a day. The paint dries for 24 hours with a large-scale and thick application. The paint can be dried faster with minimal humidity, warm temperatures and in a well-ventilated area. Artistic paints dry for several minutes.
Helpful hints and tips
Basic recommendations to help you paint any surface correctly:
- it is necessary to thoroughly prepare the surface before applying;
- you need to use masking tape to clearly limit the paint;
- you need to paint the surface from a light shade to a dark one;
- you need to cover your artwork with varnish (it is advisable to apply varnish one year after the end of the work).
For information on how to paint with acrylic paints, see the next video.