The spatula is a versatile tool, because without it it is unthinkable to imagine the performance of work requiring repair or finishing. This tool is used for leveling walls, for laying ceramic tiles, for locksmithing car bodies and even for wallpapering - with its help wrinkles are smoothed. In addition, there is another type of work where this tool is simply needed - this is the installation of stretch ceilings.
Features of the
Installation of a stretch ceiling is not an easy task and requires the craftsmen to have a whole arsenal of tools and devices in stock. Along with a tape measure, a laser level and a perforator in the master's set, special mounting spatulas are used for stretch ceilings. The main purpose of such a spatula is to make filling the ceiling covering sheet into a baguette a less time-consuming process. The baguette is a special profile strip, in the cavity of which the canvas is mounted.
The spatula for stretch ceilings in any of its versions has a handle and a metal tip. The shape of the handle and its material may vary. The tip, by its configuration, also has a variety of shapes to perform all kinds of work. The thickness of the working part of the ceiling trowel exceeds the size of the construction option and ranges from 0.6 to 1 mm.
In addition, the tip of this spatula is made of high strength stainless steel. These features prevent the spatula from bending, which is a necessary characteristic. In the process of work, the spatula experiences a colossal load from the blade pressing on it.
During the stretching of one canvas, several such tools can be used at once, depending on their purpose.
The following types of instrument can be distinguished:
- With straight attachment. This species is exactly the same as its small construction counterpart. It is convenient to use such a spatula to fill the canvas in narrow, hard-to-reach places. For the convenience of performing work, they have a small wooden handle, and the width of their working part is 15-50 mm. A spatula with a straight nozzle will be especially indispensable in those areas of the ceiling that are adjacent to gas or water pipes.
- Curved, straight. They carry out the main part of the operation of filling the ceiling material into the baguette. Curved spatulas have different angles of the metal part and the length of the handle. The shape of their metal part is made in the form of a trapezoid expanding at the end. Its bend has a different slope and depends on the shape of the profile of the baguette itself.
Curved spatulas are:
- Large with a shoulder blade curved at an angle of 45 degrees… This spatula model is the most popular and is suitable for any installation work with both fabric and polyvinyl chloride material. These spatulas are equipped with a 40 cm long wooden handle.
- Small with a shoulder blade curved at an angle of 45 degrees. They have the same shape, but have a smaller work surface and a holder, which makes it easier to work in hard-to-reach areas. The handle of such spatulas is only 10-20 centimeters long.
- An intermediate version of these types of spatulas are medium sized instruments. In addition to the 45-degree bend, the spatulas can be in the form of a tilt of the metal part and 90 degrees.It is convenient to tuck the canvas into the baguette of its upper part with a product of this shape. In addition, with its help, it is easy to cope with the installation work of built-in lamps and ceiling fillets.
- Curved, triangular. They are classified according to the same principle as straight lines. They can vary in width, angle and length of the handle. The shoulder blades are triangular with a narrow tip. This type of ceiling trowel is aimed not at the main process of stretching the ceiling, but at leveling it in hard-to-reach areas of the baguette. In addition, it does an excellent job of stretching the ceiling on curved sections.
- Curved goose trowel. Its geometric shape has a double bend, due to which it got its name - the goose. This shape is inherent in both large and small models of this tool, and the configuration of the shape of the blade does not matter. This geometric shape of the spatula is used in any of its forms. This model is designed for filling PVC material using the harpoon stretching method, while the shape of the baguette profile can be different. At first glance, it may seem that the shape of this spatula is too complex and therefore may be vulnerable during use, but this is not so. A metal blade of this type of spatula is made of high-alloy stainless steel alloys, which gives it high strength characteristics, as well as resistance to external pressures.
- Angular shape. This type of trowel is designed to fix the ceiling sheet in the four corners of the room. To cope with this task, in its design it has a rectangular or sharp blade, which can also be curved at different angles. This type of spatula has become widespread in the installation work of a stretch ceiling in open-type profiles (baguettes).
- Semicircular shape. This model has a thin edge of the working part, which is convenient for the installation of fabric canvases. Thanks to the peculiar semicircular shape, it is convenient for them to fill the material into the baguette, to make peculiar inserts, while the speed of work will be very high.
- A separate type of spatulas for stretch ceilings should be highlighted electrical models… This category is an electrical appliance with an automatic reciprocating movement of the working surface (blade). This tool is able to facilitate the work of fixing the web and can cope with its tension in a matter of minutes.
It is worth noting that these instruments are also classified according to the type of holders (pens). They can have different configurations: from a standard oval in the form of a drop to a rectangular flat one. The shape of the handle will not affect the quality and speed of work. Its choice depends only on the comfortable feeling in the hand of the master.
For information on how to properly hold the spatulas when installing stretch ceilings, see the following video.
The handles can be made from various materials. There are wooden and plastic models. Wooden models are most often made from oak trees, which is distinguished by their high strength and durability.
Plastic is a less reliable material, but lighter, so professionals choose it, since when doing a large amount of work, hands get tired of it less.
Summing up, it can be noted that the spatula is intended to perform an important task in the process of installing a stretch ceiling: it is used to fill the canvas into the baguette profile. When working, it is necessary to use different types of them, each performing its own function: some fix the canvas in the corners, others carry out the refueling process itself, and still others are irreplaceable assistants in hard-to-reach places.