In recent years, stretch ceilings have become very popular. This finish is suitable for both high and low rooms, but remember that it is inappropriate to install such ceilings if the ceiling height is less than two meters.
It must be remembered that each canvas will sink over time for natural reasons. For small rooms, a fabric option is suitable, and for tall ones, PVC film.
Suitable room height
What should be the height of the premises for the stretch ceiling to look attractive? The recommended height is 210 cm. If they are below the specified norm, then the choice should be stopped on fabric canvases. Before proceeding with the installation, it is important to consider the following criteria:
- Supporting frame, or rather, its height. Most people use large profiles and fasteners in their work. It should be borne in mind that they eat about 20 cm from the height of the room.
- Presence of communications … First of all, it is necessary to carry out all the required communications. If there are a lot of them, then the height will definitely drop to 15 centimeters.
- The size of the devices for organizing lighting. As a rule, spotlights are used for lighting in this case. Some people also use classic chandeliers, which are not recommended to be installed in cases where the ceiling is less than 2.7 meters.
Remember that PVC baguettes are large enough that they should not be used in low rooms.
It is better to opt for aluminum models, which are characterized by durability and strength.
How much does the main ceiling drop
Do you know how much height the installation of the tension cover "eats"? This is due to the material from which the canvas is made. It can be made of polyvinyl chloride, drywall or fabric.
The height can drop to varying degrees. Let's consider different situations:
- When using drywall, the height can be reduced by 20 cm. To reduce this figure, a primer can be applied to the base ceiling. In such a situation, the height will only decrease by 15 cm.
- When using PVC film, the ceiling will drop by only 3 centimeters if the surface was initially flat.
- Rack ceilings will provide a 5 cm drop. This option takes up a minimum of space, since the height can be adjusted using springs.
- Fabric canvases reduce the height by 5-8 cm. They do not always need to install the frame, therefore, the decrease in the height of the room will not exceed 8 cm.
The smoothness of the walls also has an effect on the size of the room. It is recommended that you take some time to level the walls and the main ceiling in advance.
Reducing the ceiling space
You have the opportunity to reduce the distance between the ceiling covering and the stretch fabric. To do this, you need to take special materials and devices for organizing lighting. In addition, it is worth choosing the most optimal way to mount the stretch ceiling.
To reduce headroom, use the following guidelines:
- Install LED strips or spotlights that are small in size. They should be mounted at a shallow depth, unlike a classic chandelier. You can use LED strip, which should be fixed around the perimeter of the ceiling.
- The best option for installation is the wedge method, which saves about 7 centimeters of room height.
- Stop the choice on drywall sheets and canvases of small thickness, since they do not need a massive crate.
- If you want to save as much space as possible, then use wall lighting. Thus, you can win an extra three centimeters.
Reasons for sagging
Many owners of a stretch ceiling note its sagging, which can occur for various reasons. They can be both natural and caused by various factors. Let's consider the most common ones:
- a poor-quality ceiling installation was carried out. Most often this happens if the stretch cover was installed independently. The reason is the most common.
- Due to poor installation of the mount, the baguette moved away from the wall. In this case, the reason may also lie in the material of the wall. This is the most common situation in rooms where the walls are made of plasterboard.
- When flooded by neighbors from above. In this case, there is a deep sag. A huge bubble is formed, filled with water. With such a situation, PVC canvas does an excellent job, capable of retaining water and protecting the room from flooding.
- The canvas sags under its own weight. It is considered optimal when the size of the sagging does not exceed 1 cm. Usually, this is not even noticeable and can be detected when using a building level.
Each room has its own technological parameters, which are important to consider when planning the type of stretch ceiling covering. It is worth considering in more detail how the tensioning systems can be adapted for rooms of different heights:
Stretch rooms are mainly installed in high rooms, such as a living room, hall or hall. Here, translucent canvases are mainly used, which allow you to visually expand the room.
Experts note that the optimal inter-ceiling distance is 25-30 centimeters.
This distance allows you to equip the draft layer, where lighting devices will be installed in the future. Diffused light inside the room is created by moving the stretch cover away from the base ceiling and using decorative lighting.
A system called "starry sky" is often used. It looks most attractive in halls and halls. This is a ceiling panel, supplemented with LED or fiber optic lighting. The star effect is created by the luminescent coating. If a different coating is used using light generators, the ceiling will drop by 20 centimeters.
When it comes to volumetric or multi-level ceilings, then here you can limit yourself to a minimum drop of 10 centimeters. Such structures are usually used in rooms of medium height, which are not higher than 260 centimeters.
Tiered designs will look great in large spaces. In this case, the designer is able to translate into reality any of his ideas, without limiting himself to anything.
Not all city apartments boast a ceiling height of 260 centimeters. Many of them do not even reach the threshold of 230 centimeters. With a room low enough, you probably don't want to clutter it up with a false ceiling. It is important to note that by choosing a fabric canvas, you can “eat” at least the height of the room.
Remember that with the help of a stretch ceiling, you can hide irregularities and other defects on the base ceiling covering.
In some cases, this is the most optimal solution, since leveling the ceilings also lowers them by a few centimeters. With the help of a stretch coating, you can hide existing defects and eliminate unevenness in the ceiling.
Despite the fact that the room is not high, many designers prefer a classic chandelier, which is attached to a metal hook or mounting plate. Along the perimeter, you can install LED strip or spotlights, which will create a certain atmosphere in the room.
Remember that the height of the stretch finish is an important consideration for the successful implementation of a ceiling design. If you take into account the parameters specified earlier, then you will be able to calculate in advance how much the height of the room will decrease after installing the tension cover. An acceptable size must be determined in advance.
This is one of the most popular finishing methods today, however, many owners of low apartments avoid such ceiling decoration. This is due to the fact that they are not familiar with the existing tricks that will allow installing the stretch cover in a low room without drastically reducing its height.
For information on how to install stretch ceilings with plasterboard, see the next video.