Many owners of suburban housing prefer to build wooden garages on their site, since these structures not only allow you to store the car, reliably protecting it from the negative effects of the environment, but also act as an ideal addition to the architectural design of the house.
In addition, in such a building, you can conveniently place large-sized items, various tools and comfortably equip a place for repairing a vehicle. It is worth noting that the process of installing a wooden structure is simple, and you can do it yourself.
Features and Benefits
A wooden garage is a multifunctional structure, the frame of which is sheathed with timber or boards. Thanks to modern design, this garage can be freely accommodated 2 cars, while using the minimum land area.
Unlike masonry, profiled log construction is inexpensive and can be completed using either new or recycled material.
The assembly of all garage parts is carried out quickly, does not require special training and the use of complex equipment.
The installation of a wooden garage is also chosen in the case when there are already wooden buildings made in the same style on the land plot. Therefore, in order to create a general image in landscape design and not destroy harmony, the owners of country houses have to build a garage made of wood with their own hands. In order for such a structure to serve as a reliable place for storing a car, it is advisable to place it in a fenced or guarded area, this will help to avoid burglary and theft.
The main advantages of a wooden garage include a fairly large number of properties
- Strength and durability.
- Stylish look. Such a structure fits perfectly into the design of the site.
- Reliable protection of vehicles against temperature and moisture changes.
- Refractoriness. Modern buildings are treated with a chemical composition, so they are "not afraid" of fire and woody insects.
- Profitability. To install the structure, you can choose any type of wood, and you do not need to hire builders, which, in turn, significantly saves the family's budget.
- Ease of installation. Construction work is done quickly and the installation of the garage is "clean", when it is completed there is no debris that can take a lot of time to clean up.
- Possibility of various interior finishes. Since car owners spend a lot of time in the garage, the interior should be cozy. To give the room a homely warmth, the walls inside the building can be decorated in an original way. Thus, you will get an additional room in which it will be pleasant to relax after work.
- Huge selection of projects. Recently, many buildings of various sizes, shapes and styles have been created. Garages of 6x4 m are very popular, thanks to their compact size, you can not only save on material, but also rationally use the land of the site.
- Environmental friendliness. Wood is a natural raw material that fills the room with a pleasant smell and does not emit harmful substances.
Choice of design
Before you start building a wooden garage, you need to decide on its appearance, on which the visual perception of the building and its combination with other objects on the site will depend.
Today, the following types of structures are distinguished:
- log house
The most beautiful and expensive structure is considered to be a log house. Such a garage is distinguished by high aesthetics, its wood finish can be easily combined with other materials. In addition, the building has good strength indicators, since it is installed monolithically, and the beams fit tightly together. And also the structure is resistant to mechanical damage, its walls are difficult to break or drill, which is important when protecting the garage from burglars. The installation of a log house does not require much time and, as a rule, takes from 3 to 7 days.
A prefabricated timber structure is also a good option for a garage. Its installation is carried out using a special technology. First, a parallelepiped is made around the perimeter of the future building, then a board is attached to it from both sides. Outwardly, such a garage can be sheathed with siding, and inside it can be trimmed with any material.
As for the frame structure, it is considered the most advanced type in construction. Unlike a prefab garage, when installing a parallelepiped, the location of windows, doors and gates is immediately taken into account. The parts are assembled in such a way that the plane of the frame looks like a chessboard. In addition, all internal ceilings are made according to the cellular principle, which significantly increases the strength of the building and makes it warm.
Usually, in the construction of wooden objects, a strip foundation is used, and the installation of a garage is no exception. Such a foundation extends the life of the building. If other materials besides wood will be included in the finishing of the structure, then it is best to choose a monolithic foundation. It can be either poured with concrete or laid using ready-made slabs.
The only drawback of such a base is poor thermal conductivity, but since the garage is a non-residential space, this will not be a big problem.
Before you start pouring the base, you must first of all draw the drawings, and carefully prepare the place. To do this, the site for the building is cleaned of debris, then a 40 cm depression is made in the soil. It is important to make the surface even and smooth. The width of the recess should have a small margin: 150x150 cm from all sides. A pillow of river sand and gravel with a thickness of no more than 160 mm must be laid under the foundation. First, you should tamp the sand, and then evenly distribute the layer of rubble.
After the pillow is ready, you need to install the formwork along the contour of the future structure. It is best to make it from vertical bars, leaving a gap between them on each side of 20 cm.In addition, you need to pay attention to the height of the formwork, it is impossible for it to rise too high above the soil level, 200 cm is considered the optimal indicator for its height. a reinforcing mesh will serve as the frame and base of the foundation, it is prepared in advance, and cells with a size of 100x100 mm are formed. A brick must be placed under the reinforcement rods and concrete is poured so that it covers only half of it.
The subsequent stages of construction can be performed after the foundation is completely dry. This usually takes several days.
Frame and roof
Most often, a single roof type is chosen for the installation of wooden garages, since it does not represent a huge load on the frame and does not require additional reinforcement. If the room is planned to be used for two cars, then it is advisable to use special profiles covered with anti-corrosion mixtures for its base. As for the frame of the garage, before you build it, you need not only to choose the technology and place of assembly, but also to take into account the proximity to communications, climatic conditions and the level of groundwater. It is also important to decide on the entry zone and the type of gate.
As a rule, a wooden garage is erected from glued or rounded timber. For work, it is recommended to purchase slats and boards with a moisture content of no more than 18%. In this case, a beam of 100 × 50 mm is used for the lower strapping, 50 × 50 mm for longitudinal elements, and 100 × 100 mm for floors and rafters. Installation of the frame requires temporary fixation of the racks, this allows to increase the rigidity of the fastening. Therefore, the racks are connected using metal corners and self-tapping screws.
The installation of the frame structure begins with the lower strapping, which is performed around the entire perimeter of the garage using beams. The surface of the tree must be covered with mastic and antiseptics. In addition, roofing material is placed under the lower harness. Corner posts are placed at the corners of the frame and fasten them to the harness using metal slopes.
Thus, the structure becomes strong and withstands the load after sheathing.
After the corner posts are exposed, the upper strapping is carried out. In this case, it is necessary to ensure that the supports have a clearly vertical position, for this it is recommended to use a level. Then the frame is reinforced with additional ribs. Boards with a section of 50 × 100 mm are placed between the lower and upper strapping and fixed. The ribs can be fastened both to steel corners and with the help of complete or incomplete cutting of beams. The distance between the ribs is calculated depending on the width of the finishing plates, which will act as the walls of the garage.
The cladding of the structure can be done only if the issue with thermal insulation is resolved. If, however, it is not planned to equip a workshop in the garage, then its walls need not be insulated. In this situation, it is enough to fill the voids and seams with polyurethane foam and nail the boards, leaving areas for windows and gates.
As for the inner cladding of the building, first, sheets of steam and thermal insulation are necessarily laid, then decorative finishing is carried out from boards or any building material. Walls lined with clapboard or drywall look beautiful inside the garage.
Usually the roof of a wooden garage is made in an angular shape, as this provides a good drainage of rainfall. In addition, other design options can be used, the choice of which depends on the length and width of the building. Therefore, even at the stage of assembling the frame, you should carefully consider the appearance of the future roof and draw a drawing of its model. Small garages are covered with a triangular roof and slightly raised at the bottom of the puff. If the structure is large, then it is best to use crossbars or vertical stops for the roof.
The manufactured form is mounted on the upper harness, taking a step every two meters. Fixation, as a rule, is carried out using special corners, the roof beams are attached from the inside of the garage to the rafters. A layer of waterproofing is applied on top of the blanks and a crate is made, on which the coating itself will be laid in the future. A similar procedure is performed for a pitched roof, but its rafter systems may be different.
It is worth noting that a pitched roof is much worse in operation, since it creates uneven loads on the frame, therefore it is undesirable to install it.
An important issue in the construction of a garage is the choice of gates. The type of their design is determined even during the preparation of the project and fits into the drawings. Today, several gate options are widely used.
Swing. This is the most popular type of construction, which is characterized by its simplicity and convenience. Such gates consist of two canvases, their construction is cheap and does not require special installation knowledge, therefore, garage doors are easy to make with your own hands and sheathed with wood or profiled sheets
- Swivel and lifting. This type of gate is provided with a hinge mechanism, due to which the leaf rises when opening. The design does not take up much space, is practical and easy to use.
- Sectional. In such gates, the leaf is made of several sections. During their opening, structural parts are refracted and lifted vertically to the ceiling due to the work of the system of profiles and spring mechanisms. They save garage space well and provide the room with excellent tightness.
- Roller shutters. Outwardly they resemble roller shutters. The door plates can be easily folded into a box under the ceiling, therefore they are considered the most modern and practical type of construction.
All of the above door options are well suited for wooden garages.but each has its own advantages and disadvantages. So, swing structures are inexpensive and quickly assembled, but they are in many ways inferior to sliding gates.
If you choose products with lifting mechanisms, then you will have to spend additional funds on their assembly and installation, since the assembly is complicated.
When making your own gate, it is important to take into account certain requirements
- The design should not only be lightweight, but also provide convenient entry / exit of vehicles. Therefore, it is necessary to correctly calculate the dimensions in accordance with the dimensions of the machine. As a rule, the distance from the goalpost to the side of the car should not be less than 30 cm. As for the height, its optimal size is considered to be 2 meters.
- In order to increase the protection of the doors, it is recommended to cover them with 5 mm thick steel sheets. In addition, they can be additionally strengthened with the help of external pads and overhead constipation.
- Any building material is suitable for external finishing of the structure, from boards to profiled panels.
For information on how to build a garage yourself, see the next video.