Very often, during repairs, the procedure for painting surfaces or their putty is delayed due to the need to clean off the old layer of paint. Until a few decades ago, it was fashionable to paint walls, especially in rooms such as the bathroom, kitchen and toilet. If you need to renovate just such an apartment, then removing old, sometimes very high quality paint can be a huge problem. In most cases, it is unacceptable to paint the surface covered with old paint. The incompatibility of painting materials may come to light, and then all the work will come to naught.
Peeling, cracking, shedding of a new layer - this is what may be waiting for you.
If the paints have the same composition and practically do not differ in colors or shades, then you just need to perfectly level the surface, and only a new layer can be applied. An even and dry surface is the main condition for increasing the life of the paint and for achieving its aesthetic appearance. When filling, it must be borne in mind that the composition will not adhere to the paint. You will have to completely remove all layers of the old composition. This is a very time-consuming process, because manufacturers are trying to make high-quality and durable paints.
There are three ways to remove old wall coverings:
Let's consider each of them in more detail.
It is considered the most common, easiest and most effective cleaning method. This opinion is due to the fact that one does not have to exert a lot of physical strength for this. You just need to buy a suitable liquid for removing old paint, apply it to the surface and after a few hours wipe the liquid plasticine mass from the walls. This method is mainly used for oil and acrylic formulations. In the case of a multi-layer coating, the procedure will have to be repeated several times. It all depends on the number of layers. What quality liquid to buy, you have the right to decide for yourself. Now the range of such chemicals on the market is very large.
This method is really fast, but chemistry is chemistry. It is unlikely to be suitable for pregnant women, mothers with small children nearby, or for lovers of domestic animals, as well as allergy sufferers. It is recommended to use such a liquid only in protective gloves, glasses and a respirator. It should not be poured down the toilet and can only be used in well-ventilated areas. The liquid must be disposed of only according to the instructions due to the high toxicity of the composition.
There are also folk ways to get rid of old paint. For example, you can cover the surface with liquid glass, and when the composition hardens, peel off the film along with the paint in one motion. The method with ammonia and turpentine has also proven itself well. The liquids must be diluted in a ratio of 2: 1. The resulting mixture must be applied to the surface and left for an hour. Then you need to additionally walk with a spatula along the wall.
The thermal method involves the effect of heat on the object to be cleaned. The entire surface of the wall is sequentially processed with a powerful construction hairdryer. Then it is necessary, without allowing the melted mass to cool, remove it with a wide sharp spatula. This is a very effective way, but you don't always have a powerful hair dryer on hand. Many homebrew craftsmen replace it with a regular iron. They iron the plane of the wall through the paper with a highly heated iron. The only drawback of this method is that it is not possible to apply high temperature everywhere. Places on the wall such as sockets, switches, exposed wiring will not withstand high temperatures. It is necessary to work in a special mask, as you can inhale harmful fumes.
This is the most common way to remove old paint from a wall. First of all, you need to choose the tool you will be working with. You can also scrape with a scraper, or you can choose an electric drill, grinder or grinder. There are many different power drill bits to choose from depending on the material of the coating to be cleaned. Masters consider the grinding wheel to be the most convenient and versatile tool for work. It is suitable for all types of surfaces and materials to be cleaned.
Not the last place is occupied by folk methods of removing old paint. Among them are:
- Quicklime and potash must be diluted in a ratio of 70% to 30% and mixed with water until a viscous mixture is obtained. It is necessary to apply this mixture to the surface and let it soak for 12-24 hours. Then everything needs to be cleaned off with a chisel.
- Stir chalk and lime mortar (we take all 5 kg each) to a pasty state, add caustic soda and apply a 2-3 mm layer on the walls. After an hour or two, you can clean it off.
- Spread a sheet of thick paper with wallpaper glue and glue it to the wall. After drying, clean the paper together with the paint with a spatula.
- Mix iodine and water (for 10 liters of water 250 grams of iodine). Apply the liquid to the wall and wait until cracks appear on the surface. Then they need to be removed with a chisel.
- A glass of ammonia and 2 kg of chalk must be dissolved in a liter of water. Smear the wall with this mixture, and within 2-3 hours the paint will begin to flake off. Just peel it off gently with a construction trowel.
- Grate laundry soap and mix with warm water. Next, you need to lubricate the surface with this mixture.
A remover will help remove water-based paint. It removes stains perfectly.
Tools and materials
- The most common tool for removing old paint from surfaces is manual scraper … This is a very efficient and budget option. But still, after working with this tool for several hours, you begin to think about more expensive and less laborious options. The main disadvantage of this process is that it is very slow and painstaking. You won't be able to completely remove all the old paint, no matter how hard you try.
- You can choose to work construction hair dryer … With good power of this tool, the process of removing the old coating is very fast. The downside is that it cannot be used in the kitchen. It is highly flammable. In addition, large surfaces cannot be treated with a building hairdryer.
- Bulgarian with various attachments, ideal for all surfaces. Its disadvantage is that it sparks strongly at high revs.
- Electric drill Is a very good cleaning tool, especially if all the necessary attachments are available. One of the best attachments, as practice shows, is the grinding wheel. The grain size of the skin on it must be at least 40. The disadvantage of this tool is that you need to work in a respirator and goggles. When working, a lot of dust is formed and after a short time, almost nothing becomes visible around.
- Perforator Is a handy but very noisy instrument. If you use a spatula nozzle, then the result will certainly please you. It cleans any surface very well. The hammer drill removes paint and old filler all the way down to the concrete.
- Chisel will not help you handle a large surface. But it is worth noting that it is simply irreplaceable near outlets and in other hard-to-reach places. The main disadvantages of working with a chisel are that this process is slow and it is constantly necessary to sharpen the tool.
- Coarse emery cloth Is a fairly cheap tool. Working with it is a tedious and long process, but it turns out to be done very carefully. It is recommended to use it together with a chisel for small volumes.
- Water and ax - the most environmentally friendly and easy method to remove the coloring matter, but it requires remarkable strength and strong biceps. The wall is moistened abundantly with water before knocking on it with an ax. You need to make a notch over the notch, then the paint between them will crumble and fall off by itself. The downside is physically very hard work.
How to delete?
There are many methods of removing old paint from a wall, from old "old-fashioned" to newfangled ones, using the latest materials and tools. When using chemicals to remove old coatings, apply the chemical to the wall with brushes or rollers, starting from the top edge. It is necessary to apply thickly and evenly, it is advisable to do it quickly. For a multi-layer coating, you will have to apply the product more than once. After a certain time (indicated in the instructions for use), armed with a scraper or chisel, it is necessary to begin to scrape off the layer of paint from the bottom of the wall. Having processed the entire wall in this way and walking on top with a metal brush, wash it out with a soda solution at room temperature.
It is necessary to apply regular water to the wall and wait for the plaster to absorb it. Then, with rhythmic forward movements, make one notch over the other. The smaller the distance between them, the better the paint falls off. It is better to take an ax small and sharp, as it will be much easier to work with it. Burning out is done with a gas burner. One person heats the wall to the point where it starts to darken. At this time, his assistant immediately scrapes the darkened area with a long-handled scraper or a special spatula.
This is a good and fast method, but it is not safe. This clearance must be done with care.
The grinder and the hammer drill need special attachments that help in the work. They are attached to the tool and, when working, perfectly beat off paint and plaster from the walls. You can also use a variety of metal bristle brushes. Even a child can work with a spatula and chisel. Using this tool, you need to pick off the old paint from the wall with slight pressure at an angle.
When using a building hair dryer, the surface is methodically processed with hot air and immediately cleaned with a chisel. Then the surface must be thoroughly washed with warm soapy water and cleaned with a cloth.
This way you can get rid of the whitewash.
How do you choose the right method?
There are many factors, both human and technical, to consider when choosing the right method for removing old paint. If small children, pregnant women, allergy sufferers, asthma patients, pets live in the house, then in no case should you choose the chemical method. Otherwise, you can send these residents out of the house during the renovation. The technical factors influencing the choice of the cleaning method include:
- what material the walls are made of;
- what paint they were covered with;
- how well the room is ventilated;
- what time you can work (noise, complaints from neighbors);
- what funds do you have;
- what tools do you own.
- Work grinder best in large industrial areas or outdoors. When working with it, too much dust is formed and this makes the work process very difficult. It is not suitable for wooden walls, as it is too strong and can damage the structure of the tree.
- Spatula and chisel suitable only when the paint falls off by itself. They are best used for use in hard-to-reach places: behind batteries, pipes, near sockets and switches.
- With a hammer and a chisel also only short distances can be covered. The method is effective, but very long. It is necessary to set the chisel at an angle to the wall and, tapping on it, beat off the paint with a hammer.
- It is most convenient to remove paint from the walls with sander with diamond cutter.
- Mason's pick can be used in the same way as an ax. Sometimes it turns out to work with it much more accurately and faster, and your hands do not get so tired. All hand tools are good because they can be operated almost silently.
- Enjoy chemicals can only be those people who have no contraindications, moreover, who have sufficient funds, since the prices for some of them are rather big. Gel products are much more expensive but also more effective. In no case should you mix different chemicals with each other, because the effect can be unpredictable. The most difficult thing is to wash off the textured surface.
When using any of the methods for removing old wall covering, you should use personal protective equipment… You will definitely need protective gloves, goggles, and sometimes even a gas mask. When working with a power tool, do not forget that it must certainly be grounded. Do not allow moisture to enter the devices
In any case, you can choose the way you like to clean the painted walls yourself, maybe even by trial and error. Thanks to our advice, surfaces will be clean effortlessly and in no time.
For information on how to remove old paint from the walls, see the next video.