You can solve the issue with a garage on a suburban land plot in different ways: build a capital structure with a pit, a workshop, and so on, or limit yourself to building a shed under which the car will be stored.
The ideal solution would be to build a full-fledged garage, the continuation of which is a carport. But it is not always possible to realize such a plan. Therefore, you have to choose projects that are suitable for a particular case, taking into account the lifestyle of the owner of the car, the area of his land plot and financial capabilities.
Features of the
Garages and carports have their own characteristics, including both positive and negative aspects, which ultimately determine the preferences of car owners in choosing a particular place to store the "iron horse".
The garage is a permanent structure. It can be erected as a stand-alone building or as an extension. Heating is usually provided in the garage, water and sewage can be supplied there. Such buildings have a forced or natural ventilation system. According to the project, the building can be built with a spacious utility block and even a bathhouse.
The canopy is a lightweight structure with a roof. There are closed, semi-closed and open types. Such a building sometimes becomes a good replacement for an ordinary garage.
Construction will cost much less than the construction of a capital "house for a car", and it will take only two to three days to build a simple structure.
Unlike a carport, a garage solves a lot of problems:
- Provides stable protection of the car in all weather conditions, reliably protecting equipment from theft and damage by strangers and animals.
- It is more pleasant to carry out repairs and maintenance in a heated room in the cold season than on the street.
- The presence of a utility unit in the garage solves the issue of storing wheels, spare parts, as well as tools for repairs and other things you need in everyday life.
- When storing a car in a closed garage, the engine is always easier to start, and excess gas is not consumed to warm up the car.
At the same time, giving preference to the use of a capital garage, a number of circumstances must be taken into account:
- Keeping a car in a capital garage causes it to rust. This happens in cases when there is poor ventilation in the building, and due to the temperature difference inside and outside the room, the car is periodically covered with condensation.
- Building a solid garage takes time and a lot of investment.
- A part of the land plot goes under the garage, sometimes a significant one.
- If the car is used on a daily basis, driving and driving it out of the garage, endlessly opening and closing the gate, is simply boring.
The canopy also has its positive and negative sides:
- Its area is usually less than that of a garage. This saves space on the land.
- The car is protected from the sun, snow and rain under a canopy.
- The car is not in a confined space, which prevents corrosion of its body.
- A variety of materials can be used to build sheds, from the expensive to the most affordable.
- The canopy is easy to remove and build in a different location. It can also be made longer and wider as the situation changes, allowing several additional vehicles to be stored underneath.
- It is easier to approach the car from any side under a canopy.
At the same time, the features of light construction also carry their own troubles:
- If there is wind with slanting rain outside, the car will still get wet under the "visor", and in winter the site itself will be covered with snow, and you will have to pick up a shovel and do cleaning. Part of the problem is solved by using thick curtains, for example, tarpaulin.
- If there is no normal security on the territory, it is easy to steal a car from under the shed.
- Under such a "visor" you will not store wheels and other things that traditionally find their place in the garage. The problem can be solved if the building is adjacent to the barn.
- In winter, it is inconvenient to use the carport for service.
- A building without walls does not protect the machine from dust.
Considering all these pros and cons, we can say that the presence of a garage with a canopy or a covered parking area between the garage and a residential building is ideal for a car owner who permanently lives in a private house.
As for summer cottages, which are used only in the warm season, the construction of a capital garage on them is unjustified. A lightweight construction for temporary storage of a car is more appropriate and does not require unnecessary financial investments. If you make a small closed extension to such a structure for storing tools, spare parts and garden equipment, then in the summer cottage this will be more than enough.
The convenience of using these structures, and of the entire yard, will depend on the competent placement of a garage in a suburban area, which has a continuation in the form of a canopy.
You can choose one of the options:
- build a carport in front of the garage door;
- place it against a side wall;
- between the house and the garage;
- behind the garage;
- build a freestanding canopy.
Implementing a garage project with a shed placed directly in front of the garage door is not uncommon due to certain conveniences. This alignment plan protects the space in front of the garage from precipitation. In winter there is no need to clean the snow. However, the garage roof and shed can be a single structure.
If the farm has only one car, such a layout is convenient because the car can be parked in front at any time, on a covered area, to make it easier to maintain.
Such a project is not so convenient when it comes to maintaining 2 cars. If you park one of them under a canopy, then the second will not be able to leave the garage at this time.
You can make something like a pavilion in front of the garage. This will open up additional opportunities for the operation of the garage itself, because in this way its working area increases. Without driving the car into the garage itself, you can easily carry out its maintenance - fill up with gasoline, wash, tidy up the trunk and interior. And all this without crowding, and regardless of the weather.
A car visor placed on the side of the building can be a good place to drop off passengers. It is also convenient to park your car here, for example, during the working day, when you have to arrive and leave several times.
The carport between the house and the garage unites the residential and technical building, as well as part of the courtyard space, allowing you to move from one building to another in any weather.
Convenient covered parking is available near the house and garage. Depending on the size, it can be for one or two cars.
Part of the territory in the yard is protected from the sun and precipitation, which can carry a lot of additional amenities. A variety of materials allows you to make such a canopy in any style, adding to the territory of attraction.
If the area of the site allows, nothing prevents you from building a free-standing canopy, under which a couple of cars, or even more, will fit. You can choose a closed or open version of the structure.
If an open one has only a roof with supports, then a closed type canopy, in addition to a roof, has walls and gates, for example, on hinges with a ball. The gates themselves with such hinges will make the operation of the canopy convenient.And the structure of the building as a whole makes it possible to protect the car from theft and vandalism.
The carport behind the building does not attract too much attention. Among other things, it can serve as a veranda. It can be convenient to observe the garden or the surrounding landscape from it. This is doubly pleasant to do if you find a place in the building to place a table and several chairs so that you can spend time with a cup of tea.
When designing a canopy, one should take into account which roof shape is preferable for this structure in a particular case.
The easiest way to do shed design. It is suitable for almost any climate. It is only important not to miss the angle of inclination. The optimal slope is 15-30 degrees. It is suitable for any roofing material.
Gable is done if the canopy covers a significant area, or its shape must correspond to the outlines of the roof of the house, as well as other buildings in the yard. It is more difficult to create it than a one-pitched one, but it is in many ways more practical than its simpler "sister".
A good option is also arched design. It looks picturesque, and precipitation does not linger on it.
Various materials can be used to build a garage. Both traditional and modern. Typically, such buildings are created with an eye on a residential building in order to maintain a uniform style, especially when it comes to a garage attached to the house.
For construction, the same timber, brick, and aerated concrete are suitable.
The choice of material for canopies depends on their dimensions and features of operation. So, for the frame, you can use a bar or a rounded log, for the roof, corrugated board or metal tile.
Such a canopy will not differ much from an ordinary garage and can become a worthy alternative to it in the country. It is enough, for example, to build a lean-to shed for a single car, adding an outbuilding to it.
The issue of storing the car is solved cheaply and angrily with the help collapsible design with awning. Such a shelter will be convenient to use in the summer. It will be able to protect the car from overheating on a hot day and protect it from rain in case of worsening weather.
A good option - polycarbonate roof on a metal frame… Both metal and polycarbonate are durable materials. As a result of such construction, a solid and reliable structure is obtained, which will be used for decades. And given the large selection of polycarbonate by color, it is easy to make a canopy in the design that you like best.
You can build a free-standing carport, or attach it to the garage. Due to the fact that polycarbonate itself is lightweight, you can safely attach such a large visor to the wall of a capital structure. You don't need a construction team to do this kind of work. Enough two people with the slightest experience in the installation of simple structures.
There are many models of polycarbonate garage carports on the market that can be assembled with your own hands in the right place without any problems.
From this material, you can build a closed canopy. It will look like a veranda for a car. It is possible to make such a structure from other materials - using a bar, columns made of brick or steel pipes, a profiled sheet for the roof and walls.
The device of a shed with a garage in a private courtyard solves many problems. There is additional space for storing a motorcycle or boat, as well as a trailer for a car or various household equipment.
Such a complex can be used not only for parking different vehicles, but also for solving a variety of everyday issues and tasks.
For example, as a warehouse for storing various materials.It is also convenient to pour out dug out potatoes and other vegetables grown in your own garden here in the fall in order to dry them before sending them to the basement.
From time to time, a garage with a shed can be used as a workshop. You will not interfere with anyone here, working with varnishes, paints and other substances that exude toxic aromas.
To be more comfortable under the canopy, it is advisable to plant climbing plants from the sunny side, which will grow along stretched threads or a decorative rail, creating a natural wall and shadow from it.
If the garage is made in the basement of the house, the construction of a shed (preferably in the form of a pavilion) will solve the problems with the penetration of sewage and sediments into the garage itself. This protection is most noticeable during heavy rainfall.
In order for the garage canopy to be really convenient, many factors must be taken into account during construction:
- It is better that it covers a significant area and at the same time is not an obstacle to the movement of people.
- It is necessary to correctly arrange the roof of the shed so that it does not become the cause of the formation of large snowdrifts, flooding of the yard during heavy rain and an obstacle to normal air circulation in the garage.
- When arranging a canopy, it is necessary to take into account the windage of the structure. The canopy must be strong and stable so that it does not cause major trouble during stormy winds.
- If the sheds are arranged in the form of pavilions and gazebos, it is better to make a small foundation, regardless of how massive the roof is and how the frame is attached to the base.
In order for the canopy over the garage entrance to be safe, a foundation is also arranged under its supports, otherwise a poorly fixed structure, the weight of which is usually at least fifteen to twenty kilograms, may collapse on the car or people under the hinged roof
Before proceeding with the construction of a canopy, you need to carefully calculate what size will be optimal for it in a particular case. A small one may turn out to be almost useless, and too large, if it is a closed-type structure, “eats up” the extra square meters of the available territory.
The parameters of the canopy should be related to the dimensions of the car. If the machine has dimensions, for example, 1.6 by 4.3 meters, then the canopy should cover an area of 2.3 by 5.5 meters. For an SUV, you can allocate an area of about 4 by 7 meters. If we are talking about parking several cars, then the area of the carport is increased accordingly.
The height of the canopy should be such that it is possible to lift the trunk of the car under it without any problems. At the same time, snow and rain easily fall under the roof located at a height of more than 2 meters 30 centimeters.
In the next video, see how to make a garage carport with your own hands.