The car has ceased to be an element of luxury. Most often, it is perceived as a necessity; without it, life for many will simply change or stop. Many families now have two cars at their disposal. And it is very convenient - someone goes to work, and in the second car another family member goes about his business. Or the two cars are versatile - the first car is a small hatchback for city trips, and the second is an SUV for frequent trips out of town.
In such a situation, the question arises - to build two garages or one, but common for cars. Naturally, most often one common garage is built, because it is much more convenient.
And also when building it is necessary to take into account many different factors.
Before building a garage for two cars, you need to consider more than just the size of the cars you currently own. You constantly need to keep in mind the fact that your future car will be taller, longer or wider than the current one.
If you plan to own your cars for a long time, then you can safely start calculating. There are standard indicators for calculation - the size of one parking space is taken as a basis:
- width - more than 2.4 m;
- length - from 5.5 m;
- height - depends entirely on your car.
It is necessary to include in the calculations the free space between the car and the wall, as well as between the cars themselves. Usually it is half a meter. It is also necessary to calculate the height - usually it is customary to add 50 cm to the height of the tallest family member or the tallest car. Therefore, carrying out all the calculations, you can get the minimum size of a garage for two cars based on the standard parameters:
- width = 50 + 240 + 50 + 240 + 50 = 630 cm;
- length = 550 cm;
- height = 220 cm.
These calculations do not take into account the make and layout of the car interior, nor the presence of additional shelves and tool cabinets. Therefore, this system of counting is used extremely rarely.
Other methods of calculating dimensions are more often used.
This dimension is one of the most important in drawing up a plan for the construction of a future garage. Everything depends on the choice of width - both the amount of building materials that will be needed in the process, and the functionality of the future structure.
Naturally, the width of the garage should not be equal to the sum of the widths of the two cars. When calculating the width, it is necessary to take into account: the width of the cars, the distance between the cars and the gap from the car to the wall. However, the garage is often used as a storage room for strollers, sleds, and bicycles. There may be a large number of racks for tools, spare parts and parts.
Many factors are taken into account when calculating the distance between the wall and the vehicle. If you need to store your bike, you need to leave an extra meter of width. If the car is five-door, then the wall should be at least 50-60 cm, if the car is three-door, then 70-90 cm.
If you have shelves, shelves or cabinets in your garage, consider their width and leave extra space. It is necessary for a free approach to them and the car. On average, 40-70 cm are added to the width on the side where there will be a large number of shelves.
Many owners of iron horses have cabinets and racks in the back of the garage. In this case, you will have to increase not the width, but the length. The calculation of the length of the garage is influenced by such factors as:
- length of cars;
- it is necessary to leave 90-110 cm from the car to the gate - this will allow you to conveniently leave the garage;
- if there is a workshop in the back of the garage, it is necessary to leave 2-2.5 meters on it, in addition to parking spaces;
- if there is a back door to the courtyard or to a neighboring building, it is necessary to increase the length of the garage by 50-60 cm for easy passage.
Most often, the height of a passenger car does not exceed the height of a person - about 180 cm. Then the calculations are carried out so that the driver can comfortably move around the room.
According to technical standards, the height of the garage should not be lower than 2 m. However, this indicator is almost never used anywhere, because it is simply inconvenient for a person with a height of 180 cm to move around the garage. The height of the ceiling is calculated taking into account the height of the car:
- add half a meter for the convenience of opening the rear door of the car;
- the presence of lighting and other devices on the ceiling is taken into account;
- height is added if there is a sliding mechanism;
- the need to create a stock.
The average height of garages for passenger cars is 240-260 cm, for SUVs - 3 meters or more. When a lift is installed in a new garage, the height of the garage is increased to 4.5 - 5 m.
Considering typical schemes, it is necessary to understand what are the advantages and disadvantages of each option.
The option on the left is only good if you just need to park two small cars. It's also a good option if you don't have a lot of garage space. But you cannot store anything in such a garage, and it is extremely difficult to move in it. The disadvantage is that it will be extremely problematic to place a larger car together with a second car.
The option on the right is an option for a more prepared garage to work in it. The width on each side allows for small shelving or easy opening of doors without the risk of scratching them. The length of the garage is enough for a very long car (up to 5 m), or for a workshop.
The width allows you to not worry and not think about the fact that it will be extremely crowded when replacing the car with a larger one.
Gates and their dimensions
When building a garage, it must be borne in mind that not only the walls and the roof will become the object of construction. It is also necessary to remember about the gate as an integral part of the garage. There are two gate options.
The first option is a common large gate. Their width is 5 meters or more. However, the installation of such gates is usually associated with some problems - the need to increase the stiffness of the canvas, large heat loss. To get into the garage, you need to make a separate entrance - this is better than using this large gate.
If the gate or a separate part of the general system breaks down, it will be difficult to drive the cars out of the garage - this is also a drawback of such a system.
The second option is more optimal - to make a separate entry for each car. The width of each entrance is calculated as the width of the car + 40-50 cm. And also if one gate breaks, if necessary, both cars leave through the same gate.
But the cost of the work and the gate itself in this case will be higher than the price of a single gate.
Many experienced builders use additional tricks when building a garage and calculating its dimensions:
- If children live in the house, then it is better to increase the width of the garage. Children can open the doors of cars very abruptly and, if they are too close, doors, walls and neighboring cars can be damaged. To avoid this, it is best to make a margin of width.
- Lighting fixtures should not hang from the ceiling. Many people have a stereotype that lighting lamps should only be at the top. If necessary, all or part of the lighting can be placed on the walls.
- Look into the future to see if you need to buy a larger car. If even in the near future there is no such opportunity, then remember - the garage is being built for decades, so there should be a margin for the main parameters.
- Space for cabinets, shelves and shelving should be planned. The ideal option would be if you calculate in advance the space for them and you will know exactly the parameters of the shelves and cabinets themselves. Even if you leave a stock for the shelves, not every one of them will fit well in the space allotted to it.
- When choosing the width of the gate, it is worth understanding what the entrance to the garage looks like. If the car will not enter directly, but at an angle, then the width of the gate should be increased or the design and location of the entrances should be changed.
- When storing fuels and lubricants in the garage, it is necessary to keep them only in a tightly closed container with separate ventilation. This can make adjustments to the drawing.
- The awning at the entrance to the garage will look great. Such an addition will delight the eye. When creating it, it must be remembered that the width of the awning and the width of the garage must be the same; it is also desirable that the outline of the roof is identical. This will give a great aesthetic effect. The length of the awning is usually the length of the car + 60-70 cm.
Large garages are often needed for more than just parking spaces at night or in bad weather. Large garage for two cars - the ability to combine in one room and a garage, and a workshop, and a small storage room. In order for everything to work out for you, and ideas come true, carefully approach the calculations: choose the size that will satisfy all your requests and needs.
See below for the implementation of the project of a functional garage for 2 cars.