Bulky wardrobes can hardly be called an adornment of stylish interiors; in large families, more than one wardrobe has to be endured. A dressing room on the attic floor will relieve the house from bulky furniture, rooms will become spacious, and things will find their place.
The attic cannot be considered a full-fledged second floor, but you cannot call it an attic either. The attic is a cold non-residential space, and the attic, although it is located under the very roof, is well insulated, equipped with large windows, heating, ventilation and is fully habitable.
The room has its own design features. Due to the slope of the roof, the room has a sloped ceiling. The height of the walls in the attic is from 0.8 to 1.5 meters, furniture can be placed up to this level, then there is a ceiling slope, and the situation in the room will have to be planned individually based on the features of the configuration of the upper space.
In the attic, it is difficult to create an interior, furniture has to be made to order, which is reflected in the budget. This disadvantage can also be called an advantage: the furnishings are modern and unique.
More often, children's rooms or offices are arranged in attics, where you can do without high furniture. Placing a dressing room in such a room is also a good idea.
- Clothes and shoes for the whole family for all seasons can be collected in one place so as not to search for them in different closets.
- If you allocate storage places for each family member individually and organize them, then finding things will be an easy task.
- For a dressing room in the attic, it is not necessary to order capital cabinets of a strange design; it is enough to adapt open mobile shelves, drawers and rods with hangers. Free access will make it easy to find the things you need.
- If you give the entire attic under the dressing room, and not a cramped corner in the pantry, then you can additionally put a large mirror, dressing table, poufs and other furniture on which clothes and various little things will decompose while changing clothes.
- Large skylights allow you to see yourself well in the mirror, as well as easily find every piece of clothing you need.
The interior space of the attic depends on the geometry of the roof. The room can be triangular, rectangular, asymmetrical, with a bay window or a loggia. It is not easy to equip such a complex area. You can design and assemble furniture with your own hands or order it from craftsmen.
The third option is to pick up low mobile structures, transformers in specialized stores. This is the most ungrateful option for the lazy, the room will seem disconnected, assembled from what they have found.
Before proceeding with the arrangement of the dressing room, you should create a design project: choose the style of the interior, calculate the area, draw a diagram on which to mark each item of the dressing room. The following sections are designated in the project:
- shelves with clothes;
- rods with hangers;
- shoe racks;
- storage area for bedding, towels, tablecloths (dressers);
- storage area for large items (blankets, pillows);
- a place by the mirror for changing clothes;
- if the space allows, you can plan additional furniture (trellis, pouf, ottoman, dressing table).
Next, you should think over the furniture content, what type of structures will be, the material of their manufacture, location, etc. There are different types of storage systems, consider some of them:
Modular furniture belongs to the most popular types, besides, it is inexpensive. It is made from chipboard, MDF, wood and composite materials. This furniture consists of separate modules, they are retractable (on casters), attached (to the wall), suspended, stacked (installed on top of each other)
Modules vary in shape and are easy to change and rearrange. They are displayed under the attic wall and adjusted to fit. Such furniture is suitable for classic, traditional styles.
- Aluminum fillers consist of several materials: the frame is metal, and the shelves and drawers are made of chipboard or MDF. This is an open system, the shelves are adjustable in height, and you can leave space for boxes and large drawers at the bottom. Moreover, you can change the configuration of the shelves during operation. A similar storage system is used in the style of a loft, high-tech.
- Mesh storage system has drawers, shelves, racks, baskets made in the form of metal nets. It is not difficult to install such a structure, but there must be a wall on which the supporting strips are attached. It is easy to complete the completed base with fillers. Unlike modular shelves, mesh shelves do not have side stops, overloaded piles of clothes can fall out. Otherwise, this compact storage system looks light, does not clutter up space, and is suitable for urban styles.
How to equip?
When equipping an attic, heed the advice of designers.
- By giving the entire attic floor as a wardrobe, you can actively fill the space without thinking about every centimeter… Shelves are placed at the pediment, but more often attic walls are used, if they are not lower than a meter, open shelves, cabinet and mobile closed-type furniture, rods with hangers can be placed along them.
- Functional zones are organized according to the project… Places are allocated for all family members. For example, furniture under the wall on the right is given to adults, and on the left to children.
If the children are still small, it is more expedient for them to use the lower shelves, and the upper ones will serve their parents.
- The rods must be of different types: lightweight ones are needed for light clothes (dresses, suits, etc.), made of more durable metal are suitable for fur coats, coats and jackets. If you place the shirts above the trousers in the men's compartment, it will be easier to imagine their final combination. Open sections with hangers are more accessible and convenient in choosing clothes.
- No matter how large the attic is, drawers and shelves can be brought out along both walls, they are always in short supply. Styled closed furniture with many drawers and built-in chests of drawers looks good. Or combined sections: open and closed. Mesh structures are usually placed in plain sight; they are rarely hidden behind doors.
The pediment of the attic in such cases is given to the rods with outerwear. If the shelves are lined up at the pediment, they are ordered with beveled side shapes.
- It is better to arrange shelves of different sizes., leaving large niches below for boxes and baskets. If a Scandinavian design style is planned, then all clothes are laid out in wicker or other structures made of natural materials and placed on the shelves. For easy use, there should be enough space above the drawers to see their contents. In closed drawers, transparent fronts make it easier to find things.
- By organizing storage systems under roof slopes, little-used things are placed on the upper tiers or those waiting in the seasonal queue. Do not make the shelves too deep, they will be difficult to use.
- Winter shoes can be stored in drawers or on specially designated shelves.For summer shoes, it is good to use slims (sloped shelves), if there is enough space, they build shoe cabinets with individual storage cells for each pair of shoes.
- Don't forget about accessories: you need to think about storage places for ties, belts, scarves, gloves, hats.
- In a spacious dressing room a dressing table or trellis with a full-length mirror should be placed, preferably opposite the window. Puffs will come in handy to change your shoes and a table where you can put things while changing. If additional furniture is in harmony with the style of the storage system, such a room will become not only functional, but also cozy.
- Particular attention must be paid to lighting… For easy access to different storage locations, one central chandelier will not be enough. Zoned light for different sections is being thought out. Attention is also paid to the ventilation system so that things are safely stored, it must work properly.
Interesting solutions and design
There are many interesting solutions that can make a dressing room on the attic floor a beautiful and comfortable room. Let's look at some examples.
- A typical use of the attic of a private house as a wardrobe. A shoe rack is fixed on the pediment, bars for clothes and closed boxes are installed along the walls. In the center - several pieces of furniture for the convenience of using the wardrobe.
- An attic with high attic walls can accommodate a large number of things.
- Ergonomic filling of the dressing room. All walls are involved, which are equipped with various pieces of furniture. The armchair acts as a harmonious addition.
- Small dressing room for a teenager with drawers (Scandinavian style).
- A beautiful and functional design solution for an unusual room.
- Organically built shelving in the attic pediment.
- A spacious bright room, in addition to storage systems, has a sofa for relaxation and a small work area.
- A small, cozy dressing room has a spacious mesh rack for shoes and a comfortable place to relax.
If the dressing room is able to accommodate the maximum number of things without violating the overall style, and at the same time look cozy, then we can assume that it is ideally equipped.
In the next video, you will find an overview of a roomy, simple beveled cabinet in the attic.