Recently, not only in megacities, the problem of parking is very urgent. The way out of the difficult situation with parking spaces is to install an elementary, but at the same time reliable garage-shell. This design is convenient even for a small family budget.
She will not worry about the car. But it is important to know in advance the features of such a structure.
Features of the
The standard garage structure is constructed from large metal profile sheets. The thicker the material, the stronger and more reliable it is. But it is necessary to take into account the large weight of the material during the subsequent dismantling and transportation to another place. The very name "shell" speaks of the shape of the building. The garage resembles a multi-layered semicircular sink, where, due to the absence of corners, the area of the site is greatly saved.
Most often, for a car of the B-class sedan type, a garage is built six meters long and no more than three meters wide. Such dimensions make it possible, with minimal occupation of the territory, to position the car so that it would be easy to drive into the garage and even open the doors of the car.
The cost of a garage will also vary greatly depending on the material of manufacture. It is represented by ordinary metal sheets or special polymer plastic - lightweight and flexible, but at the same time very durable raw materials. The gates at the "shell" can be opened in different ways: as usual sashes or with a roller shutter system moving upward. The latter option is more convenient with a small area of the site. The lifting mechanism at the gate is available with a manual or automatic opening system, which also greatly distinguishes garages in terms of the final cost.
Advantages and disadvantages
The shell garage has a number of undoubted advantages:
- When installing a garage, do not worry about there is no perfectly flat area with a high-quality concrete foundation, since this structure can be installed on almost any surface, excluding mountainous terrain and crumbling loose soil.
- Such a garage weighs relatively little in comparison with capital construction - about 1-1.5 tons. Such a weight allows you to work on the construction of a place for a car with an assistant without using special lifting equipment.
- The "shell" assembly technique is not particularly difficult, therefore, the car owner does not need to have professional skills to build a garage in a couple of days. If necessary, you can just as quickly dismantle it for subsequent movement.
- Small dimensions of the garage allow you to have your own parking space, which protects both from rain and from theft, in a small area, which is especially important in the conditions of the courtyards of high-rise buildings or a suburban area planted with flowers and vegetables. It can be attached to a fence or directly to one of the walls of a residential building, thus saving another 2-3 meters. With a competent drawing, you can add shelves and a corner on the side walls and a corner for storing related inventory or other vehicles, for example, a motorcycle or bicycle, even in cramped conditions.
- Despite the apparent simplicity of the design the shell garage is strong enough especially compared to its predecessor, the pencil case garage. Now the most popular material for the construction of a "home for a car" is corrugated sheets with galvanized elements.These panels are thinner than previous simple metal cuts, but they are also more rigid. The wavy texture of the corrugated board adds reliability to the entire structure, especially during strong winds or snowfall.
- Modern polymeric materials do not corrode, since their composition already includes substances that repel rust. If the walls with a roof are treated with an anti-corrosion coating at least once a year, then the garage will serve in its original form for many years, even in high humidity conditions. Problems can arise only if one of the sheets is damaged or leaking joints between individual panels, but when the material is replaced, they will immediately disappear.
- The main advantage of the shell garage is its low price. The total cost of materials for self-assembly will not exceed 25,000 rubles, which is approximately equal to a half-year payment for a guarded parking lot.
Minor disadvantages of the shell garage are also available:
- The main difference between an elementary garage and a capital building is the lack of comfort, because in fact a "shell" is just an awning for a car. Stationary wiring is usually not carried out to it, so at night, repair work can only be done with a large lantern for construction sites. In winter, in severe frosts, it is quite cold inside the garage, despite the insulation of the walls, and in summer, in the heat, the corrugated sheets get very hot. These features should be taken into account when choosing a place to install the structure.
- Even taking into account the modern composite component of galvanized sheet, it is necessary to apply anti-corrosion paint coatings, mainly enamel, to its surface from the outside at least once a year.
- The aesthetic aspect includes the exterior of the garage, which is not very presentable. Especially he can worry the owners of country houses, with which the "shell" does not harmonize in a single ensemble. But here you really have to choose - either a beautiful or a cheap and easy-to-assemble design.
- In large cities, the main danger in the unauthorized construction of a garage in the courtyard of an apartment building is the evacuation of the entire building if the municipality notices such a building. Officially, the shell garage is not specifically classified as an illegally built non-stationary object, but it still cannot be called a fully mobile awning for a car. Be prepared for the fact that such a structure during your absence can be demolished and sent along with the car to a special parking lot - a warehouse.
There are several of the most popular modifications of this type of garage:
The most common option is collapsible shell garage, which can be installed as an independent shelter structure in any place you like. From a legal point of view, such a garage is not even considered a full-fledged building - it is not necessary to buy land for it and draw up registration documents, as well as pay taxes
It is considered just an awning for a car, so theoretically it can be installed in the courtyard of a multi-storey building, as was previously done with pencil-case garages.
If the owner of the car has a great desire to build a garage-shell on the territory of a summer cottage or a country house, then the so-called built-in model… This structure is attached to the side wall of the house and looks like a hemisphere. In this situation, both the territory and the cost are significantly saved, because the amount of materials must be purchased for half the garage
The main disadvantage of this technique is that the construction must be thought out even at the stage of laying the foundation for the house, and then immediately erect the wall, taking into account the fasteners for the "shell". The convenience of a garage is the ability to automatically get to the car directly from the house, without leaving the street.However, some experts do not recommend doing this, because exhaust gases will enter the living space through the half-open garage door.
If the desire to build a garage appeared after the construction of the house, then it will do attached garage option, which will require a minimum of component parts. It is not attached directly to the wall of the building, but can be located anywhere on the site in the immediate vicinity of the capital structure. Sometimes the garage is connected to the house with a shed or even a completely enclosed corridor
How to do it?
The shell garage is very easy to assemble. The process will not take two people more than a day, maximum - two, even if you work without numerous construction tools. The minimum required set will include:
- grinder for cutting sheets of corrugated board;
- welding machine;
- hinges for fastening entrance doors;
- metal beams for creating a frame;
- bolts, nuts, screws and other small consumables.
The algorithm for the construction of a garage structure consists of several stages:
- Before installing the garage, a site is prepared by leveling the surface. It is good if the finished place is already covered with concrete or other foundation, but if it is absent, then it is not scary. The dug up earth must be tamped and then covered with a layer of coarse grained rubble or pebbles. If desired, after the installation is completed, the entire structure can be additionally laid on the floor with a coating like a wooden or metal flooring.
- It is necessary to bring to the site in advance all the components necessary for assembly, such as corrugated sheets, as well as tools. It is better to first assemble each wall in parts, and then the entire garage together, because this way the overall structure will turn out to be more verified and even. Distortions during installation or unevenly cut sheets for the walls can lead to subsequent deformation of the garage and the ingress of rain and snow into uneven joints. Use high-quality fastening mechanisms when assembling the frame, because the durability of the garage directly depends on their price.
- Even if you bought a polymeric galvanized corrugated board, and its instructions indicate that a layer of anti-corrosion substances is applied to the surface of the sheet, do not be too lazy to thoroughly process all the parts with moisture-repellent enamel. In addition, cracks may form on the sheets during transportation from the store counter to the house, which will subsequently cause leaks and rust.
- All joints and welds must be cleaned and degreased.
- On the preliminary drawing, mark the length and height of each wall, taking into account the dimensions of the car. According to the standard, there should be 7 elements: a one-piece back wall, two flexible sheets for each side to give the wall a rounded shape, and two sheets for the gate. If the latter are automatically lifted, then there will be one fewer elements. The lower part of the walls is welded to the support beams, the upper part is overlapped to better move apart.
- It is easy to expand the garage later by welding additional sheets to the side walls. Increasing the area of the entire structure will give it more strength and stability.
- When connecting the sheets, do not screw the self-tapping screws tightly so as not to damage the metal sheets, as well as to be able to disassemble the entire structure.
- To keep the car in good condition, the garage must be insulated with a layer of mineral wool or other polymer analogs, gluing them directly to the walls with liquid nails or special compounds.
Tips & Tricks
In order for the garage to last a long time and be in consistently good condition, a number of recommendations should be followed:
- If it is decided to install a double door, then it is in the gap between the two elements that water most often gets. To protect against this situation, buy special seals… An alternative can be a tarpaulin cover, but there is a danger that the metal underneath in the stale air will begin to rust.
- To protect your garage from burglars, you need to carefully choose a lock. German manufacturers are best suited - they are more expensive than Chinese ones, but they are more reliable in products. Thieves consider the "shell" to be an easy target for burglary, therefore, if possible, install an alarm at the entrance gate.
- When choosing a place to install a garage, consider that the building did not interfere with the passage garbage trucks, ambulances and other equipment.
- By installing a garage shell on a finished site, avoid entering the territory of sewer manholes… They and the smell will create a bad one, and may be needed by repair crews.
- Only the owners of a country house can afford a spectacular view of a garage-shell made of transparent fiberglass, but you can always see what is happening with the car. Smoky glass darkens when exposed to active sunlight, creating a cool indoor environment. If you choose frames for fiberglass sheets to match a residential building, you get a single ensemble.
- An alternative to gray and monotonous metal garages is the option with bright graffiti. If you paint the walls with an anti-corrosion paint and varnish coating, then this decor will also bring additional benefits. The catchy look of the garage often psychologically repels fraudsters from getting inside.
For more information on the shell garage, see the next video.