The design and arrangement of a private house or apartment sometimes requires a special design that would provide residents with access to the attic. Moreover, the device should be easy to use and, most importantly, reliable. This type of device can be attributed to the attic staircase, which is presented on the market in various models, allowing you to purchase a design that meets any requirements and wishes of the consumer.
Features of the
Since the staircase for access to the attic is often a necessary component in the house, you need to approach the choice of the design with all responsibility, taking into account the many nuances and features of the house and design.
To rationally use the living space and be able to get to the attic at any time of the year, the stairs should be placed inside the house. This option will eliminate the need to go outside in order to get upstairs, due to which the choice of options for using the attic space will significantly expand.
The structure, which will be located inside the house, will not spoil the interior, since a wide variety of its models and methods of unfolding, including raw materials for the manufacture of the device, allow you to purchase an interesting, beautiful and high-quality attic staircase. And the features of its configuration will make it possible to remove it on demand in a special overhead hatch.
The attic space can be converted for different needs, including the arrangement of additional living space, a pantry, a dressing room, etc. The main thing is to choose the right hatch and decide on the type of staircase that will effectively fulfill its functional tasks, at the same time without piling up the space.
Based on the specifics of the design, a number of positive features inherent in the attic staircase can be distinguished:
- The first and most obvious advantage of these products is saving space, but only if the choice is made in favor of folding and portable models, since there must be enough space for installation in the house to place stationary structures. The first two types make it possible to quickly and easily get into the attic, without taking away the useful square meters of the house. Stationary stairs are no less functional, but at the same time they occupy a certain part of the area in the house.
- Security - an important and obligatory feature of any stair model. To ensure it, the stairs are produced with special notches on the steps, which prevent the foot from sliding during the ascent. Also, the products have railings. With regard to safety during the deployment of the structure, it must be complemented by a locking system and a lock with anti-slip pads on the folding legs.
- Strength the entire structure allows it to withstand a load of 250 kilograms.
- Functionality. The best models of retractable loft ladders with a hatch can be opened and closed with just one hand movement. This feature of structures is typical for structures that are equipped with a manual opening mechanism with a weight, as well as for products with an electric motor.
- Affordable cost. Basically, the price of a product depends on the raw materials that were used during production, as well as on the number of sections in it and technical characteristics.
- Simplicity of design stairs, thanks to which it is possible to make an attic staircase with your own hands.
- Large selection of models, due to which you can purchase a staircase that will ideally fit into the interior of any house and cottage.
- Long operational life attic stairs, as evidenced by the minimum percentage of breakdowns or failure of structures.
- Most of the construction models have already insulated manhole cover, moreover, this feature does not in any way limit the options for the shapes and sizes of the hatch openings. The presence of insulation allows you to reliably retain heat if the attic was not supposed to be heated.
- Ladder constructions resistant to negative influences various external factors.
- Fast and easy installation with reliable and durable fastening of the entire structure.
- Opportunity visually hide stairs when it comes to folding loft models.
Based on the configuration, mansard stairs can be divided into several groups:
The first group, which includes screw and cruise models, is a stationary structure for the home. This is the most popular option for access stairs to the attic, as models of this type are characterized by elegance, luxury, and increased safety during use. The disadvantages of monolithic stairs include their massiveness, as well as a rather serious cost in comparison with other types of structures.
Arrangement of a house that is cramped in terms of area is not recommended with such a staircase.
Stationary ladders are rotary, straight, screw, goose-step designs.
The second group includes ladders of the stepladder type, they are very compact and, after operation, are easily and quickly removed to the pantry or other designated place in the house. A ladder of this type consists of two guides, between which the degrees are arranged. The products have a low cost, however, the disadvantages of portable ladders include their temporary purpose and a high level of tram hazard due to careless operation. Most often, such models are purchased for small summer cottages of the country type.
The last group of designs includes the main advantages of the above groups. Such devices are completely safe for use in any mode, perfectly harmonize with various directions in the interior, do not take up much space and are very convenient and easy to use for their intended purpose in a house or apartment. Folding loft ladders don't cost much when compared to monolithic structures.
The group of folding attic stairs includes the following types of marches:
- retractable systems;
The exit of the structure from the hatch can be manual or automatic. In the first case, it is supposed to use a pole that will open the lock, as a rule, located at a height that does not allow a person to cope without the help of an additional special object. The automatic system of opening the lock in the hatch fulfills its tasks when using an electric drive, the presence of which increases the total cost of the product.
You can also highlight the varieties of methods for installing stairs. Basically, folding, sliding and telescopic methods are used. The latter assumes the principle of its unfolding, which boils down to the fact that the sections of the stairs will alternately leave one of the other. The lower parts are made of greater thickness than the higher ones, so the components can easily fit into each other. When folded, such a device has the smallest dimensions, so it does not require a lot of storage space.
The sliding ladder visually resembles a scabbard; in the process of its manufacture, strips of metal - aluminum are used. In places of contact of elements, degrees are established. This option excludes their rotation. The structure is folded like an accordion. It is these products that perfectly withstand heavy loads on the base. Maintenance of aluminum structures requires regular lubrication of moving parts.
Folding ladder for the attic easily hides under the hatch cover… A design feature is the tilt angle of the device when unfolded, which is 70 degrees to ensure reliable fixation. Most often, folding views are a system that has three sections. They are attached to each other using hinges, hinges and other fasteners. The size of the roof hatch in which it will be stored will depend on the size of the folding structure.
The disadvantages of folding systems for stairs include a rather laborious installation, the implementation of which is better to entrust to specialists. Experienced craftsmen will place the structure, strictly following the instructions and the specifics of the technology for performing this process, which will eliminate the formation of malfunctions that are fraught with emergencies associated with the operation of the stairs.
Most manufacturers use metal as the main raw material for attic stairs. This applies to telescopic, sliding and similar products, the folding principle of which involves storing sections one in another.
Folding attic stairs are mainly made from various types of wood, such as pine, maple or oak, as well as aluminum. There are models that include wood and metal elements at the same time. This configuration makes it possible to make wooden steps, which reduces the weight of the stairs, and the metal system and fasteners have a positive effect on the strength of the march.
When choosing a combined ladder model, it is necessary to focus on products from a lighter in weight raw material. Such materials include pine and aluminum. Wooden stairs wear out many times faster, however, the rare use of the march and the timely processing and care of wood products extend their service life.
For options for daily use of mansard stairs, it is better to give preference to metal models, since they are more wear-resistant and durable.
Tips & Tricks
When choosing one or another model of an attic staircase, you must be guided by the following criteria and nuances:
- The design, which will be used by people with disabilities or elderly people, must be additionally provided with all possible types of elements that increase the safety of operation.
- For houses where children live, and the attic is not used every day, it is better to give preference to sliding design options, where the staircase itself is hidden in a hole in the ceiling. It will be useful to equip the stairs with a lock. This option will eliminate the risk that the child will independently try to push the ladder and endanger his health and life.
- If the attic space will be used for storing things or utensils, which implies frequent visits to the room, for example, by the hostess for various supplies or wardrobe items, then it would be more correct to purchase stairs with automatic adjustment of work. The folding structures will be ready for use with one push of a button on the control panel.
- The most comfortable ladder width for climbing is from 70 to 100 cm with an angle of inclination of 65 degrees. However, for daily use, it is better to choose a model with a tilt level of the structure equal to 45 degrees.
- The width of the steps, which will be convenient to use, will be equal to 20-30 centimeters with the distance between the parts not exceeding 19 centimeters.
Today, a large number of domestic and foreign manufacturers of attic stairs offer their products on the market. The structure can be purchased in almost any building supermarket, it is enough just to have an idea of what size and type of construction will be most suitable for a residential building. But the fairly simple configuration of the stairs used to access the attic allows you to make and assemble them yourself.
It is best to give preference to wood for independent work. Since wood is easier to process at home, and the attractiveness of stairs made of pine or oak is many times greater than the beauty and aesthetics of similar metal structures.
As for the choice of a place for the attic hatch, it is worth relying on the following features:
- The finished ladder structure when folded should not cling to the surface of the walls and ceiling.
- The location and direction of the hatch depends on where the beams and rafters are on the ceiling.
- The hatch must have the same dimensions as the hole made for its installation, otherwise it will be installed with slots and gaps. In winter or when the front door is open, it will see through from the cracks, and over time, serious defects form in the ceiling.
There are a lot of options for using the premises in the attic, it all depends on the desire of the homeowners and the features of the structure. When arranging a living and heated room in the attic, it is worth giving preference to creating a children's space there, especially if a monolithic wooden staircase leads to the attic directly from the nursery.
An observatory or just a comfortable and cozy corner where the kid can retire will become a real fairy tale and a godsend for a curious and dreamy child.
And for modern fashionistas, the idea of creating an entire dressing room in the attic will be an excellent functional option that allows you to place all the necessary toilet items, including shoes, in one room. Automatic systems that install the structure do not require the use of force to unfold the ladder, which is important for women. And the compactness of telescopic structures will save space, allowing you to completely hide the system in the skylight.
You will learn how to make an attic staircase with your own hands in the next video.