There are many reasons to choose a Fakro attic staircase. This is a rich assortment: from wood to metal, product quality, durability, compact foldable design and a large selection of sizes and colors. Any such staircase will find its application and will become indispensable not only in the attic in a private house, in two-story apartments, in basements and garages, but also in technical rooms.
Features of the
Fakro is a Polish concern that has established itself as a manufacturer with stylish products of good quality. Lightweight ladders with a smoothly sliding structure and perfectly flat hatches, which, when closed, hardly attract attention, have met with warm confidence and good reviews from consumers. They include a stylish and compact combination of a huge iron hatch and a ladder.
Fakro ladders will help you save money on the installation of a full ladder. Fakro attic staircases are affordable price, quality and comfort. Explaining the previous thought, it should be noted that its obvious advantages are the price, which is not so high for a truly high-quality product, the strength of materials and a large load-carrying capacity of ladders up to almost 200 kg, easy installation and comfortable use.
The thickness of the cover of the manufactured elements is approximately 40 mm, it is made in the form of a frame and sheathed with fiberboard sheets. The cavity inside the frame is filled with foam and polystyrene foam for better thermal insulation. An additionally attached rod and lock help the lid to open and close freely.
First of all, when choosing a ladder kit for an attic, you need to decide on the type of structure. Most often, it is selected in accordance with the interior of the room or at the request of the buyer. Let's get acquainted with brief characteristics and some features of the most popular models:
- Smart-lws. This model is available with a 36 mm hatch, made of pine wood, and therefore has good thermal insulation. Consists of 3-4 sections. Fakro-lws Plus is an improved version of this model.
- Komfort-lwt also available with a hatch, and the material is pine wood of the highest category. It consists of 4 sections and a metal handrail. The ladder is comfortable and safe to use. An important detail is the soft rubber tips that do not damage the flooring when touched and the metal handrails.
- Thermo-ltk. Its main feature is a wide layer of insulation - almost 6.6 cm, which will require a wider opening than for other models.
- Fakro-ldk suitable for ceilings with heights from 2.7 m to 3.5 m and has additionally installed metal handrails.
- Fakro-lsf. Differs in fire resistance, therefore it is most often used not in residential premises, but in industrial, in particular, in warehouses.
- "Summer resident", which is the budget version of the regular portable ladder. Made of wood and suitable for use in the attic and basement of summer cottages. Differs in simplicity of design and long service life.
In order for the staircase to accurately fit in its dimensions during installation, it is necessary, first of all, to measure the opening. In addition to its width and length, you also need to measure the height from the first to the second floor.Otherwise, if measurements have not been made or the dimensions of the opening have not yet been fully determined during the repair work, then you can purchase a ladder of standard sizes. The height of such stairs ranges from 270 cm to 350 cm, the angle of inclination is 50-75 degrees, and the extension reaches 1 meter. The most common sizes of ladder models are 280 cm, 290 cm, 305 cm, 325 cm in length.
If the ladder is not long enough, then you need to know that some metal scissor-type ladders can be lengthened by adding several sectors.
The hatch must be selected so that 5 cm of free space remains on each side for correct dismantling. The hatch is characterized by the following standard dimensions: 50-70 cm x 120-140 cm. Without special need, it is better not to choose large hatches, they will negate the effect of thermal insulation.
Another important part of the ladder is the box cover. It is most often made of beige or white plastic and is also available with insulation, which further helps prevent the penetration of cold air from another floor. The manufacturer produces the box cover already complete with the ladder and already attached to it.
When purchasing a ladder, as a rule, it comes with fastening material and an installation service, which you can use if you wish.
The installation of such ladders is usually not laborious, even if you do it yourself. Each ladder comes with detailed installation instructions. It is best to do the installation in tandem with someone, this is due to point number 7 in the instructions, in which the installation of the ladder has already been completed, but it cannot be used yet.
The basic instruction contains a number of points:
- Check the dimensions of the staircase opening and the dimensions of the hatch.
- The next step is to install and then secure the auxiliary ladder support board to the bottom of the hatch.
- Prepare tools that will be useful for work - polyurethane foam for filling, a protractor, a screwdriver with screws and a suitable wrench.
- Lift the ladder and lean against the support board.
- Insert spacers in the opening between the end pieces and the staircase. This is done in order to maintain straightness at the time of installation of the box.
- Screw the staircase on both sides with screws.
- Remove the support board and unfold the ladder. On this, the main work is considered completed. It remains only to wait for the complete completion of the last stage. Until this moment, it is strongly discouraged to use the stairs.
- Use polyurethane foam to fill in the holes between the staircase frame and the ceiling.
- Loosen the bolts by unscrewing them a little and spread the ladder.
- Now you need to tighten the bolts tightly.
- It is necessary to adjust the length of the ladder and, if necessary, reduce the length or add additional segments.
- Correct the angle of inclination if necessary. The adjustment of the side supports will help with this.
If, after reading this instruction or another one attached to the purchased product, there are still doubts and unclear nuances, you can use the information from the manufacturer, presented in writing, in pictures and videos.
How to install the Fakro attic staircase is shown in the video.
Oddly enough, but attic stairs are in great demand and are used everywhere. Fakro products occupy one of the leading positions in this market, and its staircases have received popular confidence and good reviews. Ladder installations are used not only in residential premises, but also in industrial premises.
Of the obvious advantages, consumers of these products note their main advantages:
- Environmentally friendly and hypoallergenic material for making stairs and a hatch.
- Easy and understandable installation instructions for those who do their own installation.
- Easily and simply adjustable parameters such as the angle of inclination, the length of the stairs, the distance between the hatch and steps.
- Soft rubber tips to protect the floor surface.
- Anti-slip steps that make the ladder safer to use.
- Hatches made using heat-insulating material, which are especially convenient if the openings are large.
- Strong and durable metal handrails.
- Convenient folding system.
- Various materials of manufacture, both metal and wood are available.
- Neat appearance. In particular, on wooden stairs, as a rule, there are no irregularities, they are treated with a special agent and have an aesthetically pleasing appearance.
- The presence of a lock in some models. If necessary, it is always possible to close the staircase leading to another room with a key.
- Constantly changing and improving assortment.
- Durable thanks to strong mountings and high load capacity.
The disadvantages of Fakro stairs include:
- large weight of the hatch cover;
- wooden structures not protected by varnish;
- some discomfort in using the ladder for the elderly.