Stretch surfaces are the most modern and demanded ceiling covering, with the help of which the interior of apartments and houses acquires individual style and beauty. Such ceiling coverings have both their pros and cons.
You need to understand everything in more detail before making your choice.
Features of the
Stretch ceiling coverings have excellent properties, which are manifested in the quality of materials, a variety of colors (especially for PVC film canvases), in the number of possibilities for the design of apartments and houses.
Among the advantages of these coatings are the following positions:
- products comply with fire safety requirements;
- canvases add style and comfort to the interior of any room;
- the material is environmentally friendly and durable (warranty from 15 to 25 years);
- the products are practical to use and do not require time-consuming maintenance costs.
The annual struggle for the demanded market of the manufacturer of stretch ceiling coverings with the advent of new technologies gives excellent results in the emergence of a variety of materials of excellent quality and texture. An integral part of the production results is their increasing affordability.
The work of installing a stretch ceiling covering in its duration takes from 2 hours to 2 days, depending on the complexity of the configuration, the number of levels of the ceiling to be installed, as well as the shape of the room being repaired.
Depending on how the lighting is arranged, the installation of stretch ceilings is carried out at a distance of 3 cm from the old surface, which favorably marks them in comparison with suspended options, the device of which reduces the height of the ceilings from 10 cm and more.
The ceiling is fixed on a special frame, which is attached around the perimeter of the room, and its configuration depends on the configuration of the room, the multi-level model of the ceiling to be mounted and other design solutions.
A feature of the installation of PVC canvases is heating up to 60-70 degrees.
The ease of installation of a ceiling covering is deceiving, since various problems arise during the installation process, therefore, in order for the work to be done efficiently, it is recommended to trust the professionals.
Fabric stretch ceiling coverings do not require special temperature conditions during installation and therefore are easier to install.
All materials of these canvases undergo a special treatment against the development of microspores and other harmful microorganisms, and therefore acquire the properties of environmentally friendly materials with which it is possible to work both in medical institutions and in institutions with children.
Advantages and disadvantages
It is worth noting some of the positive aspects of using such ceiling coverings:
- very beautiful;
- the size of the canvases is usually limited to 5 m, which allows you to work with one canvas;
- advantageously benefit in comparison with traditional ceilings in terms of quality, color and texture of the fabric;
- a varied choice: with a picture, photo wallpaper, painting;
- a special chic in modern design is given by the gloss that is possible only with the installation of PVC ceilings;
- harmoniously combined with almost all materials to create a stylish interior design for any room;
- environmental friendliness;
- visually expand the room and increase the illumination due to gloss;
- practical in operation, as they do not require special care;
- durable - the warranty ranges from 15 to 25 years;
- do not reduce the height of the room ceilings in comparison with suspended structures;
- allow you to mount multi-layer ceilings of fantastic styles and shapes that amaze the imagination;
- choice for every taste, color, color, structure of material and panoramic images;
- do not allow moisture to pass through, and in the case of a bay, apartments retain a large mass of water;
- hide all construction flaws of ceilings;
- create additional noise insulation;
- quickly installed - from 2 hours to one day;
- have an affordable price.
The disadvantages of such coatings include the following items:
- It is better to install PVC ceilings with the help of specialists, due to the peculiarities of their installation;
- in case of problems with heating in the room, stretch film ceilings should not be installed due to their sensitivity to temperature extremes (not lower than +5 degrees and not higher than +50 degrees);
- also PVC film is sensitive to high humidity (bubbles and wrinkles are formed);
- products without a certificate may contain dyes and other toxic impurities;
- with rare ventilation in rooms with PVC ceilings, air exchange may be disrupted;
- Once every six months, if there are splash stains (in the bathroom), the PVC film must be washed;
- some of the PVC ceilings do not withstand a large volume of water supplied during flooding and require replacement;
- exposed to high mechanical pressure;
- require a certain professionalism in the installation of lighting and lighting devices.
Below are the types of stretch ceilings, depending on the material of manufacture.
Film (PVC). They are made using specialized machines according to the selected project after measuring the ceilings of the premises at the customer's place. They are made by gluing pieces of PVC film with a width of 1 to 5 meters. During the installation process, the ready-to-use PVC coating is heated up to 60 degrees and stretched onto the manufactured profile
PVC film is diverse, but the most popular are glossy, matte and satin options.
Glossy stretch PVC products have a wide range of colors. They look great thanks to their mirrored surface. The specularity of PVC ceilings visually increases the space of the room and decorates it. Such a surface is effective when dividing a room into functional zones. It is recommended to use it in a room with a small amount of furniture.
Matte canvas will fit into any interior and decorate it with a perfectly flat surface. This is the most budgetary and demanded option, which resembles a high-quality plastered perfectly flat surface. It blends perfectly with classic interior design and creates indoor comfort.
Satin PVC ceilings will give the room a sublimity with its whiteness and even texture, which enhances the reflection of light from the ceiling and gives it a stylish pearlescent hue. A satin ceiling is similar to a painted surface with a slight sheen and a reflective soft specular effect. This option, due to its ability to give the room coziness, is often installed in the bedroom. All the advantages of satin canvases include an important quality: it is very easy to care for it. To do this, it is necessary to occasionally wipe the ceiling with a dry napkin.
Fabric (seamless). They are made from a fabric based on a polyester thread impregnated with polyurethane. This fabric is similar to the fabric of women's stockings - it is lightweight, breathable and has an excellent look. The color of the fabric is given by the corresponding polymer with which it is coated during the production process. Moisture resistance is acquired thanks to the varnish coating
Such a gapless ceiling is light in weight, safe, air-permeable ("breathes") and looks great on the outside.
When ordering a seamless fabric cloth, it is released in a roll in the required length and fixed in the prepared frame without additional processing and heating.
In the installation of a fabric ceiling covering, the techniques are simpler, and the temperature regime for its operation is wider and closer to traditional options.
In shape, there are the following types of stretch ceiling coverings:
- Flat gapless ceilings in a plasterboard box - a classic that allows you to hide irregularities in old ceilings, differences in height, cracks, poor-quality painting. Flat ceilings are placed both parallel to the floor and at an angle, transforming the space.
- Multilevel ceilings. The number of levels in the mounted ceiling depends on the wishes of the customer and the proposals of the designer. Multilevel structures allow you to stylishly divide the room into functional areas and have the ability to transform the space of the room. Many people choose these very varieties.
- Arched plasterboard ceilings - this is the formation of a vaulted ceiling by smooth transitions from the walls to the ceiling surface, the curvature of the arches can be made in any radius. A feature of these ceilings is the ability to hide the necessary communications in the corners of the arches.
The beauty and style of any interior is determined by the type of ceiling, its design and quality of performance.
A variety of types and materials of stretch ceilings, as well as possibilities in the construction of structures, a combination with almost all materials gives designers tremendous opportunities for the realization of talented fantasies, the embodiment of grandiose projects that amaze with their beauty.
Skillful selection for the functionality and long-term operation of stretch ceilings requires knowledge of the quality and technical characteristics of each type of stretch ceiling. These secrets are described below.
Which is better?
Stretch ceilings are used in the following premises:
Living room… Living room ceiling designs are so versatile and effective that they give any home its own unique personality. The device of tensioning products in the living room will save the owners from expensive repairs for cleaning and leveling old ceilings, while creating additional visual space and raising their height
Stretch ceiling coverings make it possible to aesthetically designate living room areas - you just need to choose the material and design you like. The style of the living room will determine the device of stretch ceilingsranging from stylish fashion photo prints to sophisticated multi-tiered artwork.
The beauty of the living room will be enhanced by an unforgettable shape and stylish spectacular lighting in an ensemble with luxurious energy-saving lamps.
Kitchen… The most suitable stretch ceiling coverings for kitchens, due to the cooking processes taking place there, are PVC foil ceilings. The defining color for the kitchen ceilings will be a shade in harmony with the color of the furniture and tiles on the walls. A cheerful mood of bright colors or a panel of flowering plants will create a wonderful mood for the household
For the kitchen, film options are very appropriate - they do not collect condensate vapors, do not absorb the smells of cooking food, they are easy to clean when contaminated with soapy water or window cleaner.
Stretch ceiling in the bedroom. The functionality of the bedroom rightfully determines the style and color scheme of the stretch ceiling - these are pastel shades in pure performance or in paintings of gentle tones. Delicate colors determine the appropriate material for the ceiling covering - it can be in satin or matte finish
A seemingly boring set of bedroom tones can be decorated with the right design solution with an unobtrusive cascading ceiling design and stylish lighting. A design proposal for a ceiling covering a bedroom is also considering a stretch ceiling in the style of the starry sky with small diode lamps - it will create a relaxing and romantic mood in any bedroom.
Stretch ceiling in the bathroom. For this room, PVC film ceilings are simply created. Their impregnation from microflora completely makes it impossible to develop mold, from which the plaster crumbles during the first year after repair. Condensation from dampness will not collect on the PVC-film ceiling, and the main advantage of this stretch coating will remain its unchanged quality appearance for many decades
There are absolutely no problems with the choice of color with its variety for the design to match the tone and style of the bathroom. To increase the practicality of the stretch ceiling and reduce the time for caring for it it is recommended to choose a satin or matte film instead of a glossy one. But this recommendation should not influence the buyer's desire.
In the hallway and corridor. Hallways and corridors in living quarters do not differ in large area and often have a narrow space and an uncomfortable appearance. Mirrored PVC ceilings with a glossy sheen will transform the interior of gloomy corridors beyond recognition, visually expanding the space and creating the effect of height and airiness
Spotlights will enhance the effect of sunshine and chic comfort.
Stretch ceilings have a huge variety of colors, which are divided into warm and cold tones.
Warm colors (red, orange, yellow) are good for rooms with windows facing north. They will create a warm atmosphere in the home and will have a positive effect on the mood of family members, encouraging them to be active. Such coatings are often used for hallways.
In the bedroom, as described earlier, it is better to choose calm tones of white, pale green or blue.
The cool tones of the glossy coating (black, blue, purple) have the technique of visually expanding the room and increasing its height.
The light gray tone of the stretch ceiling will emphasize the exquisite interior and stylish expensive furniture.
On stretch ceilings of all types, any photo printing is performed using a large-format printer, which allows you to unusually decorate the ceilings of a room with drawings, ranging from bright butterflies to famous paintings - there is no limit to the design imagination.
When ordering a photo for the surface, you should take into account the nuance that the ink for printing the drawing must be of very high quality - this will provide a clear view of the ceiling drawing for many years of service.
All these recommendations should take into account the taste of the buyer., as well as the possibility of combining incredible colors in the design of the ceiling surface, allowing you to transform the apartment beyond recognition and enhance the feeling of love for life in family members.
According to technical characteristics. Stretch ceilings have some differences depending on the material:
- Fabric ceilings are made of polyvinyl chloride with a density of up to 230 g / m2 and a layer thickness of up to 0.5 mm, and film options are made of polyester with subsequent polyurethane treatment. The latter have a slightly higher density per square meter - 230 g / m2 with a thinner layer thickness - up to 0.2 mm. The layer thickness of both types depends on the brand and manufacturer (in comparison, the maximum thickness of the canvases is indicated).
- The stretch ability of fabric canvases is 220%, and of film canvases - 120%.
- Light absorption for fabric stretch ceilings ranges from 5 to 95%, for film ceilings - the maximum value is up to 90%.
- The sound insulation coefficient for fabric canvases is 0.4, for film canvases it is almost 1.5 times higher and corresponds to a value of 0.6.
- Fabric ceilings have a technical specification of 30 N stretch reinforcement and a maximum pressure level of 100 kg / m2.
Film canvases do not have such technical characteristics.
- The water resistance of fabric canvases is 100%, while that of film canvases is partial.
- The air permeability of both types of canvases is one hundred percent.
- Both types of canvases are not subject to combustion (good fire safety qualities).
- The temperature within which operation is guaranteed and recommended for fabric canvases is in the range from -5 to +50 degrees, for film - from -50 to +100 degrees.
It is necessary to decide which types will look better, for example, in the "Khrushchev". Today, ideas such as wood, wave are used, or you can add perforation to the space.
The lighting device in stretch ceilings is complicated by the peculiarities of the material.
PVC fabric is not strong enough to hold cables and lighting equipment. In other words, it is impossible to attach a lamp to PVC fabric, as it will tear under its weight.
Also, the melting point is not high enough to provide the necessary requirement for the resistance of the ceiling fabric to the heating performance of lighting lamps. This applies to incandescent and halogen lamps - their power should not exceed 40 watts and 60 watts, respectively, to ensure fire safety (the lamp can burn through the fabric of the ceiling).
An excellent solution in this case remains LED spotlights, which have a low heating temperature and are installed in special slots. It is recommended to use outdoor type LEDs.
A chandelier hook can be installed in the ceiling (it may already be installed) and provide ceiling lighting from modern designer chandelier with a phased inclusion in the work of lamps. To do this, you need to prepare a hole in the ceiling sheet for wires that will need to be connected to the chandelier and hidden under the cover that is part of the chandelier itself.
The device has proven itself well on stretch ceilings LED strip, for which the second level is created. In combination with spotlights, the LED strip enriches the lighting with a variety of colors and lighting zones, which designers certainly use to create an extraordinary holiday atmosphere.
Installation and selection of lighting equipment must be carried out with the help of qualified specialists who will take into account all wishes and give recommendations on the design of lighting in each case.
The reflectivity of the ceilings and the spot lighting of the luminaires make it possible to design zone lighting, which cannot be done when using incandescent lamps. A well-chosen chandelier will only complete the created ensemble of the play of light, color and glare when lighting in stretch ceilings.
For each room of the apartment, with the help of modern lighting equipment, an individually selected technique is used, which visually expands the room and presents it favorably. For example, narrow and long the corridor can be visually changed with the help of bright spotlights along the ceiling, directed with the light flux straight down.
This technique will help to visually shorten the corridor and make it more comfortable. In the event that the corridor is of a very small area, then, on the contrary, you need to direct the luminous flux of the spotlights upwards, which will give the room a visual dimension (expand it).
Lighting kitchen requires being bright, but not dazzling, but only illuminating kitchen areas with soft light, being effective and providing comfort. Both ceiling lamps and lighting elements built into the furniture and walls of the kitchen are used here. In the kitchen, lighting is divided into zones: a working and a dining area. At the same time, there must be a uniform fashionable style.
For lighting bedrooms any lamps are suitable: from sconces and floor lamps to LED strips. If the bedroom is small, the technique of directing the light of the lamps upward is used to visually expand the space, and a spacious bedroom must be equipped with lamps with a stream of light down the wall to create coziness and dimming.
For living room spotlights and LED lamps are used, with the help of which, complete with the ceiling, a stylish interior solution with a special "zest" is created.
IN bathroom lighting should be selected in such a way that objects do not cast a shadow, which is achieved by using fluorescent lamps with good technical characteristics for moisture protection.
Tips & Tricks
Stretch ceilings are the most fashionable and stylish, they are quickly installed, and the price is affordable for most consumers. When choosing stretch ceilings, the possibility of financial costs and interior design plays a decisive role, but it is also necessary to know their properties and characteristics.
The most demanded due to the variety of colors, possibilities and the final result are film ceilings … The type of film is also varied: suede, gloss, satin.
If you need to choose a durable coating, then this is not the best choice, since sharp objects must be avoided, moreover, they are sensitive to sudden changes in indoor temperatures.
Another type of ceiling coverings, as already stated, are fabric ceilings. When choosing them, it is also necessary to take into account the structural features to ensure durable operation.
Fabric products, like film, look beautiful, stylish and sophisticated. Unlike the latter, they "breathe" (let air through), and therefore their cost is more expensive. In addition, fabric ceiling coverings are not afraid of sharp objects and have good thermal stability. Fabrics can be painted with acrylics.
With all these differences, both types are durable - a guarantee of 15 years and more and are very practical (they can be washed if necessary).
There are certain proposals for choosing stretch ceilings for various premises:
- For the living room, it is recommended to give preference to matte canvases (the choice of satin will be appropriate) if the living room is sunny. If there is not enough sunlight, then you need to use glossy products to visually expand the volume of the room.
- For a bedroom, the matte texture of pastel-colored canvases is perfect.
- For the kitchen, bathroom and toilet, a gloss is recommended, which will not only ennoble these rooms, but also allow them to be kept in constant cleanliness without significant efforts.
- For offices, any type of ceiling canvases is suitable, depending on the chosen design and the combination of construction materials.
These recommendations cannot be a panacea for choosing, but only an assistant for determining the required material and design. An alternative can always be found. For this, for example, it is worth trying to add skirting board to the ceiling, samples of which can be seen in a hardware store.
Stretch ceilings are manufactured in a number of countries. Below is a rating of manufacturers.
French materials… They are famous for their excellent quality, high service life, which, accordingly, is reflected in their cost
French canvases are made using the most advanced techniques, and therefore they have an almost perfect look.
Asian stretch ceilings They are distinguished by an acceptable price - their cost compared to European manufacturers is much lower. At the same time, they look good and are suitable for small apartments and other premises that do not require large financial costs. The disadvantage of these canvases is the smell of plastic products, which may appear over time, as well as a shorter service life compared to canvases of European manufacturers
German Ceiling coverings are very popular, famous for their good quality, high price and long service life. Famous brands of German manufacturers are Mattfolie, Pongs Textil and ECO fole
- Dutch canvases are universal in the price-quality ratio. They are distinguished by the unusual structure of the canvas, which conveys the texture of marble, leather or suede. The most famous Dutch manufacturer is recognized Alkor Draka.
- Swiss stretch ceiling coverings have the same good qualities and are used for 10 years under warranty. The most famous brand of Swiss paintings is the company Clipso.
Belgian stretch ceiling coverings are similar to European canvases in terms of quality and warranty period. The most preferred manufacturer is the company Polyplast… You can also highlight the company Sofitowhich has mostly only positive reviews
Beautiful examples in the interior
With the help of stretch mirrored ceilings with interesting artistic compositions, in combination with other materials, an individual universal design of a multi-stage ceiling is created, worthy of real admiration. One of the techniques of this design is a photograph of large white roses against the background of a burgundy surface, which are combined with the pattern of the walls.
The living room with ceilings imitating the sky and lighting along the figured perimeter looks airy and modern.
In this example, a second-level ceiling device is used in the form of smooth lines, which add elegance to the style. A chic chandelier gives a special beauty and completeness to this coating.
Only with the help of stretch ceilings can you create a ceiling of truly stunning beauty.
The talented ceiling design combined mirrored ceilings, multi-level reception and deep blue, expanding the space and ennobling the room.
For information on how to choose a stretch ceiling, see the next video.