The unusual name "cartouche pistol" hides an intricate device for applying building mixtures, in particular, for plastering walls. It is believed that such a device got its name from the ornament of the so-called cartouches, which this pneumatic pistol perfectly imitates. The use of a plaster gun is most often used when it is necessary to quickly plaster a surface.
Mechanism of action
The device resembles a spray bottle with a huge funnel on top, but differs from it in the way it works. It works with a compressor that creates pressure, thereby applying the plaster layer evenly.
In order to study the mechanism of action of a pneumatic gun in even more detail, you must first consider in detail all the main details, since many of them, in turn, have a complex structure and are intended for various functions.
The main parts of the cartridge pistol include
- The short barrel is usually made of steel.
- Various nozzle nozzles - they will determine the future applied pattern.
- Funnels. Ideally, you need to have several pieces of different volumes: it is best to opt for a volume of 3 and 5 liters.
- Special handles with a trigger mounted on them - they are switches.
- Hollow blow-off ramrod - cleans out clogged holes.
- Several bodies with a nozzle (this is a special suction tube) that can be connected to a high pressure hose.
- A set of nozzles. They depend on the thickness of the solution to be applied. For example, a composition such as a gypsum-based solution requires a diffuser nozzle flare angle of 30 to 45 degrees, and for liquid mixtures it decreases to 15-20 degrees. This is done so that the applied solution does not flow down the wall. All this is very important if the repair is done by hand.
Speaking about the mechanism of action of a cartridge pistol, it is important to know that it is used only for decorative plaster and not for basic wall leveling work.
If a pneumatic gun is used for basic plastering of walls, then one must be prepared for the fact that a large energy consumption is required, a device with high power. Additionally, it should be noted that the inner cone will clog up with the mixture anyway due to its thick consistency.
An important stage of work is the process of suction of the plaster solution into the nozzle, which includes two stages:
- suction of the solution into the nozzle;
- pushing the solution under pressure into the diffuser.
Professional construction crews have at their disposal a so-called "plastering station" - an automated system that is responsible for several processes at once: mixing the mortar and feeding it under pressure into the nozzle of the spray gun. This simplifies the whole process of plastering the walls.
As a rule, a home-made device of this type is a useless and dangerous unit, therefore, purchasing a professional tool in a store will be both safer and cheaper.
Such a tool is analogous to a cartridge pistol, in another way it is called a pneumatic bucket, but it has the following differences from the pistol:
- the resulting pressure is much lower due to the lack of compressed air in the nozzle and energy losses for lifting the solution from the bottom of the cone-shaped funnel;
- the sprayed solution is in a separate container, which does not imply its absorption and additional energy consumption;
- the area of application of the plaster depends on the angle of the compressed air flow supplied to the surface of the container with the mixture, and not on the thickness of the nozzle.
Despite all these obvious advantages of a bucket in the form of energy savings, it is better to purchase a cartridge pistol. The latter will apply the mixture evenly and without unnecessary losses, while the consumption of the mixture when using the "Hopper bucket" will grow exponentially: first, the consumption of material per unit of operating time will exceed 15%, then 20%, and then will only increase.
Of course, the price of the cost of a complete set for a bucket will be less, but if you need to perform a large amount of work, then it is better to change your mind in favor of a pistol.
It should be noted that in most cases, it is the cartridge pistol that is used for repairs.
The subtleties of working with a cartridge pistol
This is one of those tools where experience is not only desirable, but required. Despite the fact that this is a kind of spray, in the absence of calculation or inability to "feel" the device, unforeseen problems may arise: a large consumption of application materials, or even a breakdown of the gun.
First of all, you need to purchase protective clothing. Almost complete protection will be provided by a protective mask made of impact-resistant acrylic. Since the sprayer is almost always at eye level during operation, and if the working mixture also contains fine crumbs or other additives, then the need to purchase it becomes doubly obvious. In addition to the eyes, you also need to protect the respiratory tract - a respirator will help with this. These are the main items on the list of required protective clothing, which also includes gloves, overalls and shoes.
When working with a pneumatic gun, you need to adjust to the following standard parameters:
- air pressure 200-250 l / min;
- the thickness of the layer of the applied solution is 10-12 mm;
- overpressure of the compressor - 3.5-4 atm.
The distance between the end of the nozzle and the wall is very important in the process of work - it is interconnected with the density of the applied mixture: the thicker the solution, the less distance should be from the wall. For liquid mixtures the recommended working distance is 200-250 mm.
The further the gun is held, the greater the loss of consumables will be.
The plastering process should be divided into two stages:
- first apply half of the intended thickness of the plaster;
- then, after waiting for drying, apply another half, while trying to smooth out irregularities.
A cartridge gun is used to process large surfaces, therefore, for a person who has not done such work before, it will be laborious, since it will require large physical costs. Another additional difficulty can be the control of the trigger - it also requires the application of physical force. If, nevertheless, it is decided to do the whole process on your own, then it is strongly recommended to outline an area of 1.5 or 2 square meters. m at a time. For this area, the consumption of raw materials will be 25 kg (it is best not to fill the cone-shaped funnel entirely, but leave a little distance between the edges of the container and the surface of the mixture).
When applying the material, the gun should move smoothly and evenly horizontally, while pressing the lever with the same pressure. The nozzle axis must be kept perpendicular to the wall.
The correctness of the process must be checked on site. If there are smudges, you can immediately understand that the technique of using a cartridge pistol is incorrect.
Models and reviews
The following manufacturers of such a unit stand out:
- Brigadier 65019. Market price - 4200 rubles. These products are Swedish brand. Its main feature is its robust aluminum funnel.
- Matrix 57530. Market price - 2500 rubles.
- Fubag RK Decor - 3400 rubles.
At the moment, these models are trusted by consumers and have received the best reviews. Almost all of these models have a similar structure, but differ in the country of manufacture or in minor details. Most often, buyers praise the durability of the applied plaster layer with these guns and the speed of the process.
Of the minuses, a decrease in the quality of the result is noted when using low pressure. With this application, the solution clogs the nozzle, and then scatters in different directions in lumps and, as a result, does not lie down evenly.
Buyers advise mixing a solution of medium density, since almost all models do not always cope well with liquid or too thick mixtures.
The process of applying decorative plaster with a cartridge gun, see the following video.