When building their home, each person should pay special attention to the choice of finishing materials. One of the most common types is drywall. Today we will talk about these building elements of the Knauf company.
What it is?
Drywall (GKL) is a popular finishing material. It is a sheet that consists of two layers of special construction cardboard. Also, such a structure necessarily includes a core. As a rule, it is made from ordinary gypsum dough.
It is possible to use such a product in almost any room. Each individual sample of drywall is distinguished by its specific characteristics (width, thickness, length, weight). Most often, this finishing material is used when leveling ceiling and wall coverings.
Features of the
Knauf plasterboard products are now becoming more and more popular with consumers and renovators. This manufacturer can offer customers a wide range of different models of such structures. The choice of the appropriate option will depend on the type of room in which the drywall will be installed.
One of the most important technical characteristics of Knauf drywall is its high moisture resistance. It is because of her that such a building material can be used even when decorating bathrooms, swimming pools and baths. It is achieved thanks to special water-repellent substances and mixtures with which the material is pre-processed.
Many experts often separately note such important technical features as the presence of a semicircular edge in Knauf drywall. Some also talk about a special super-strong adhesive solution, thanks to which the sheets and the core are fastened together, although not all manufacturers use glue as a connecting substance. In addition, the gypsum plasterboard structures of this company are produced not only as the main frame, but also as the basis for any finish.
It is important to note that Knauf today produces gypsum plasterboards for both decorative and basic design. In the first case, a bright ornament can be applied to the product. It can also have a different structural surface, which allows it to be used as a design element. Sometimes such sheets are even covered with a special stone for decoration and giving it beauty.
It is worth noting that drywall must be chosen depending on the type of finish itself. For the ceiling, it is best to purchase sheets with a thickness of 9.5 mm. It is this option of building structures that will allow you to carry out all the necessary installation work for the installation of lighting. For wall decoration, it is quite possible to use slightly thinner materials.
Knauf drywall boasts a number of important advantages:
- Low price. Everyone can afford buying Knauf drywall.
- Ease of installation. Almost everyone can independently, without resorting to the help of specialists, finish with plasterboard sheets of this company. In addition, it should be noted that when buying such a product, it comes with a special step-by-step installation instructions.
- High level of moisture resistance. With the help of special hydrophobic substances, the material becomes resistant to water.Contact with moisture will not affect the quality of such a product in any way.
- Light weight. Knauf finishing plasterboard is lightweight, so it is quite possible to attach it to lightweight ceilings that are not designed for heavy loads.
- High fire resistance. Since there is no air gap between the core and the outer cardboard cover, the part can only be charred when it comes into contact with fire.
- Easy care. Plasterboard structures do not require special complex cleaning. You just need to do regular wet cleaning from time to time. Almost any detergent can be used for this.
- Nice appearance. Today, in hardware stores, buyers can find various types of Knauf decorative drywall. This type of finishing material can be used for finishing coatings.
- Security. Such materials are made from environmentally friendly components that will not harm a person and his health.
Despite such an extensive list of positive qualities, Knauf drywall panels also have certain disadvantages:
- It's hard to cut it. Some models of these building materials are made with the addition of additional fillers. They make the material too dense, which is why it is often difficult to cut them into the desired parts.
- The fragility of the structure. Due to excessive fragility, drywall is quite difficult to transport and transport, therefore, often during the loading process, some parts break.
- Lack of firmness. Many drywall samples are difficult to bend, making it difficult to create the desired surfaces and decorate coatings.
- Low level of sound insulation. Many experts strongly recommend that consumers, when decorating rooms with plasterboard, cover the walls with an additional layer of mineral wool. This technique will significantly increase the noise insulation in the room.
- The possibility of pests. There is usually a considerable gap between drywall panels. It is in it that all kinds of rodents and insects often settle over time.
- It is difficult to mount additional items. If you want to hang a picture or a lamp on a plasterboard wall, then you will have to finish the coating with a frame in advance. It will be on it that you can attach other elements. After all, an ordinary plasterboard construction without a solid base can simply collapse when the decorative details are strengthened.
Knauf drywall is currently represented by a considerable number of different models. Each of them has its own important characteristics and properties. Therefore, when choosing a suitable specimen, it is imperative to pay special attention to the qualities of the material.
Today, the most popular among buyers are moisture resistant types drywall Knauf. Even bathroom rooms can be finished with such a building material. This type of structure is called GKLV.
Such drywall in the manufacture must be covered with a special antifungal composition. It is these substances that help to avoid the formation of mold on the surface of the panels. In addition, it should be said that waterproofing mixtures do not allow moisture to penetrate into the material.
Another popular type is fireproof drywall. Sheets of this type are painted pink. Under the outer layer of cardboard is the same standard gypsum, but only with the addition of fiberglass and special reinforced clay. It is these additional elements that give the panels an increased resistance to fire.
Currently, a considerable number of consumers choose acoustic drywall Knauf. This type of material does not need an additional soundproofing system at all. After all, this coating consists of perforated sound-absorbing plates.It is these panels that help absorb unnecessary sounds.
A special type is arched drywall. It can deservedly be called the most flexible among all other wall samples. With the help of such a material, you can easily give it any desired surface shape. In addition, it should be noted that this type of drywall sheets is the most suitable option for decorating indoor coatings.
Each Knauf drywall model has its own standard sheet sizes. For a simple universal type of these panels, they are usually 2500x1200x9 mm. It is these building materials that are most often used when decorating living rooms in a house.
But it should be noted that for standard drywall sheets, the dimensions can vary significantly. This is especially true for the thickness. Indeed, in some cases it can be 4-5 mm, and sometimes it can reach 14-16 mm.
Knauf moisture-resistant and fire-resistant gypsum plasterboards have dimensions of 3000x1200x12 mm. It should be noted that the width of the panel can also vary greatly. It can even be as small as 500-600 mm. The thickness, like that of universal drywall, can be from 5 to 12 mm.
Often, some components are also included in the same set with the drywall sheets themselves. They are required when installing the material. Suspensions for the structure are such an important element. They are only needed if there is no frame when installing the panels.
Most often, when finishing, they use straight elongated suspensions for gypsum board. According to many experts, they are the most simple and practical. Such parts look like a metal plate with several small holes. These elements are attached directly to the floors.
There are also wire-drawn hangers. As a rule, they are used when the ceiling height is too high and the covering needs to be installed much lower. Such a part is a thin wire on which a place is fixed for a self-tapping screw that fixes the suspension on the ceiling. The height of the base will be adjusted with this wire suspension.
The next important components are guides. They act as a solid framework. It is with the help of profiles that the entire structure is given firmness and the desired shape. They are most often made of metal. These elements are especially important when designing cassette ceilings.
Corners are also irreplaceable plasterboard components. They are needed in order to neatly arrange the corner area of the room and make the coating even. They reinforce such details at the joints of the walls, and then fix them. Be sure to pay attention so that these elements do not stand out and do not protrude too much, otherwise you may have problems with subsequent installation.
When installing Knauf drywall, special adhesive mixtures are used. They are necessary not only for joining the panels, but also in order to hide ugly seams (putty cannot be used for this). You can easily buy such ready-made substances in any hardware store.
Selection and application
The choice of a suitable drywall depends on the type of room in which the material will be installed. In areas with excessive moisture (pools, saunas, baths), it is most beneficial to use moisture resistant sheets. In buildings with poor sound insulation, acoustic elements should be used. In ordinary living rooms, simple standard plasterboard panels are also acceptable.
Later, you need to make several connecting parts. The fastening rules are most often written in the instructions. First, you need to attach the metal profile to the ceiling with one side. It will be the main frame. Such a structure is installed using self-tapping screws and dowels.
Before installing the material, be sure to thoroughly clean the surface from dust and other contaminants. Then you need to dilute the adhesive solution and spread it on one side of the panel. After that, the structure should be fixed on the wall or ceiling. In this case, it is important to ensure that the parts are evenly fixed.
After completing this work, you need to strengthen the corners and remove all seams. This is done using the accessories in the kit. In this case, you can not use putty. It is also worth carrying out additional leveling of the wall or ceiling covering.
Tips & Tricks
Many experts offer consumers a number of recommendations for installing drywall. So, most people advise wiring electrical cables and plumbing pipes before covering the panels. Some carry out such procedures after installation work, which can cause problems with further repairs.
Also, some experts advise when laying sheets to cover them with special building mixtures. They contribute to greater strength, hardness of the product and increase its service life. But it is worth noting that this procedure is completely optional.
Many people separately leave recommendations on the technology of mounting plasterboard parts. So, experts say that if you want to decorate the ceiling with such a material, then you should use horizontal adhesive tape… It is attached to the ceiling. This strip is needed in order to clearly fix the level of the ceiling covering. Only after that is it worth fixing the structure itself.
Also, special attention should be paid to the sealing of seams. Most experts advise to carry out this procedure using the same glue with which drywall was mounted. In this case, the mixture should be applied in a thin layer. After covering, the substance should be slightly smeared with a spatula.
Today, on the Internet, you can find a considerable number of reviews about Knauf drywall sheets. Many consumers have left positive characteristics about this building product. So, the majority spoke about the high quality and durability of the material.
Also, many have left reviews about the beautiful appearance of the product. According to users, such drywall is perfect even for finishing. A lot of people said about the convenient and simple installation, which can be done independently.
But some people also left reviews about the overpricing of these panels. In addition, you can find statements about the excessive fragility of the material, which significantly complicates the work. Many have said that it is too difficult to drive a nail or a similar element into the drywall of this manufacturer, since the coating immediately begins to deteriorate.
How to make a Knauf drywall suspended ceiling is shown in the video.