When working with drywall, the sheet can be damaged, which leads to the formation of cracks and tearing of the material on the back side. To eliminate such a defect during operation, use a screwdriver with a bit that has a limiter.
The drywall stopper bit is nothing short of special drill bit. It is designed specifically for GCR, in the course of screwing into which the stopper abuts against the surface. In this case, the self-tapping screw turns out to be recessed by the required amount. This is how each fastener is tightened, not allowing the self-tapping screw to fall below a predetermined level.
Excessive indentation of the fasteners is the reason for the unreliable fastening of the gypsum board to the surface.
However, such nozzles have different spline shapes, which affects the purpose of the bits. Externally, the bit has a hexagonal shape up to 5 cm long… On one side it is attached to a screwdriver, and on the other side it is a kind of screwdrivers of various kinds and has a bowl-shaped element. It resembles a cruciform species. With its help, threaded connections are mounted or removed.
Some varieties, in addition to the limiter, may have a magnetic holder. This eliminates the need for the technician to hold the mount in his hand. High-quality fastening of self-tapping screws with a bit allows them to be sunk 11 mm deep into the sheet material… However, the screw-in depth is different for these attachments. For this reason, it is imperative to approach the issue of bit selection thoroughly.
Advantages and disadvantages
The use of a simple nozzle allows you to simplify the work with the gypsum board. It is made from different materials, which leads to a different service life. Despite the possibility of using such attachments for a drill, it is advisable to focus on the screwdriver. It has a lower speed, so it will not spoil the gypsum board.
A bit is a thing necessary for work, by means of which:
- the speed increases and the quality of the work carried out increases;
- the reliability of fastening the gypsum board to the base increases;
- the risk of damage to the drywall sheet is reduced;
- it is possible to get rid of the pimpledness of the base due to protruding caps;
- high-quality work with a large volume of gypsum boards is possible.
However, not every bit type meets the stated requirements. The disadvantage of some budget varieties is the limited duration.… For this reason, one nozzle may not be enough for installation work. However, according to experts, this is not always justified.
Professional craftsmen believe that the durability of a bit with a limiter depends on the skill of working with it. If the master works correctly, then it will serve for a long time.
Other disadvantages include the lack of limiter adjustment in budget models. An analogue for professionals allows you to independently set the desired length for working with different sections of the plasterboard base.
Subtleties of choice
If you buy the first thing on the counter of the store, you can ruin the whole work. Making a mistake can damage the screw. In addition, the grooves on the cap can damage the device.
It is worth considering the main nuances of selecting a bit with a limiter for drywall:
- An auxiliary nozzle for a screwdriver is bought only after purchasing self-tapping screws. The type of bit depends on them.
- At the time of choice, it is worth inspecting the marking of the bit. It should indicate that it is suitable for GCR.
- The markings on the fasteners and the desired attachment are always identical. It is worth buying both screws and a bit at once. Usually this is the PH2 marking.
- The most common type of head corresponds to a diameter of 3.5 mm. The bat is chosen based on this.
- Product length may vary. You need to buy the option that is suitable for a specific basis. For walls, a short bit is suitable, for hard-to-reach areas and corners - a long one.
- Chromium and vanadium, chromium and molybdenum varieties are good recommendations. Allocate craftsmen and options from molybdenum and tungsten.
- It is worth choosing a model with a magnetic holder. You need to dip the bat into a handful of self-tapping screws. If, when picked up, there are 3 elements left on it, it is worth buying.
- You need to be vigilant when buying. Often cheap Chinese counterfeits are sold under quality goods. As a rule, they fail after screwing in several self-tapping screws.
- The cover of the tip must be nickel-plated. This will protect the bit from corrosion.
- In order not to suffer in the process of work, it is recommended to take a professional version of the nozzle. It has a breakaway sleeve and an adjustable stopper length.
- It is worth focusing on the cost and duration of the work. If the tool will be used frequently, you should buy the professional version (from 2 thousand rubles). If the work is one-time, a pair of standard products (from 100 rubles) is enough, since one may not be enough.
Few people know, but you can make a bat with a limiter for GCR with your own hands. You can put a rotating element on the screwdriver. Sometimes a brass ring is used instead of a stopper., which at the same time serves as a limiter for the screw-in depth. They just put it on the most ordinary bat and start working with the GCR.
However, this method has a negative point. As soon as the bowl of the brass ring begins to rest against the surface of the drywall sheet, you must stop the rotation yourself. The point is that the circle can continue to rotate, sliding off the end of the bat. In this case, the spline is triggered. The sawdust is magnetized towards the end of the bit, making it difficult to attach the next screw.
A trip clutch and a depth limiting clutch (limiting cone) can be used. When the screwdriver ring rotates, the depth is set.
In this case, when the limiting clutch touches the surface of the gypsum board, the engine continues to work, and the bit stops. In this case, the screw also stops spinning.
Sometimes bit stoppers are made from a marker cap and a rubber sleeve.… In this case, the cap is cut, a rubber seal is driven into it. Such a device will not allow the screw to screw in more than the intended level. However, for greater reliability, the structure has to be improved by drilling holes for small bolts on both sides, which is necessary so that the structure does not go over the bit.
Sometimes nuts and even plastic are used as a limiter.by soldering it onto the bit itself. The disadvantage of this device is the lack of adjustment.
How to use?
You can use a bat with a limiter when installing walls and ceilings. In this case, the best tool is the one that has an automatic feed of self-tapping screws. For this, a special nozzle is provided.
The use of this device practically does not differ from the principle of operation. The nozzle is inserted into the tool, fixed and screwed in self-tapping screws.
Opinions about bits with a limiter in the realm of craftsmen and ordinary people differ. There is no unity here. Some users claim that nozzles are the only way to perfectly drive screws into a drywall base. The reviews indicate a reduction in the time for the installation of plasterboard structures, the absence of the need to monitor the pressure of the tool… The fact that such bits are inexpensive is also encouraging.
Other users are confident in their abilities and are used to doing everything using a screwdriver and a restraining cone. However, both masters agree that, outwardly, after screwing in the self-tapping screws by means of a nozzle, the caps are recessed into the surface identically. On the other hand, there are opinions that indicate the inconvenience when working with such nozzles in the installation of the ceiling. According to such reviews, the bit helps to loosen the gypsum, which may affect the reliability of the fastening.
In the video below, you will see an overview of the bit with a limiter.