Finishing work involving work with plasterboard sheets can take place at high heights. The finishing of the ceiling surface becomes an ordeal for the human body. Due to the significant weight and dimensions, it is inconvenient to hold the drywall sheet for a long time, even with helpers.
Specialists in such a situation use specialized lifting mechanisms. But for those who cope with the repairs on their own and do not need constant use of the lift, purchasing it does not seem to be a very practical solution. In this case, you can make the lifting mechanism yourself.
The purpose of the lift
The main task of the lifting mechanism for drywall sheets is to deliver and keep them at the required height during installation work. This makes it possible to install drywall on your own, without anyone's help, and greatly facilitates the installation process.
Over time, experts have found ways to use the lift that help accomplish other construction tasks:
- When fixing the laser level on the lifting mechanism, you will be able to better mark the necessary elements on the surface and avoid all kinds of inaccuracies. The laser is fixed with special clamps and raised to the desired height. It should be noted that the use of this method gives the most accurate marking of the ceiling surface and corners in the room.
- It is an indispensable mechanism for the installation of frame structures for gypsum plasterboard sheets in inaccessible areas. The lifting mechanism makes it possible to fix the drywall at the time of its fastening to the ceiling surface.
- In addition to plasterboard sheets, the lifting mechanism greatly facilitates the installation work with any other massive suspended equipment. For example, an air conditioner, chandelier or ventilation system.
Manufacturers today produce a wide range of hoists, the cost of which can be unreasonably high. Often they are bought by a construction team that specializes in installation work with plasterboard structures. But they do not neglect the opportunity to build a lifting mechanism with their own hands.
According to the scope of application, the plasterboard lift is divided into:
- wall (the table is positioned vertically, which allows the installation of plasterboard sheets on the wall surface and partition);
- ceiling (the table is located vertically to work above the ceiling surface);
They all differ in the placement of the table, which is used to attach the plasterboard sheet.
The universal lifting mechanism is the most practical device because the attachment table can be tilted.
Besides, The hoist is divided into manual and electric powered devices. In the first case, the lifting of building materials is carried out by using a winch, which is wound on a drum. The second option allows the lift to work without much effort, making it as convenient as possible. The lifting device in this case is controlled by a remote control.
Do not forget about the material that was used in the manufacture of the lift.
The wooden device is applicable for fixing building materials, its functionality is extremely limited. While the metal device is a multifunctional and more reliable lifting device.
In the absence of a desire or need for an independent production of the lifting mechanism, it would be a logical decision to purchase it. The Premos brand is the most demanded in terms of the ratio of cost and quality of the product. According to the principle of operation, such a mechanism does not have distinctive features from rack and pinion car jacks. Considering its affordable cost, the Premos lifting mechanism quickly became a favorite among buyers.
This mechanism makes it possible to lift and fix all kinds of building materials weighing up to one hundred kilograms. And with the help of a telescopic bar, the lift provides a height of up to three and a half meters. And using an additional retractable bar, you can lengthen it up to four and a half meters.
To work with a lift, the height of which exceeds three meters, the following manipulations must be done:
- Turn the handle, while the telescopic rod should be slightly extended.
- Using the rail, support it in the sliding struts. Pull the staff out to the required height. For comfortable use, the manufacturer indicates the height of the table around the hole for fixing the sliding support.
- Fixation takes place with hardware (any metal product), which is inserted into the hole. But experts recommend using steel pins on chains for fastening.
For an overview of the Premos lift, see below.
How to build it yourself?
The option of purchasing a specialized lifting device for drywall sheets is not suitable for everyone. The approximate cost of such a mechanism is about 15 thousand rubles. In this regard, making a lift at home with your own hands seems extremely tempting to many. Finding a finished drawing is not difficult.
On the Internet, you can stumble upon a simple version of the lift, or more confused.
Before starting construction, it is worth mentioning the important components. Their presence in the lifting structure is necessary:
- The foundation in the hoist is retracted by the chassis or tripod. It is preferable if they are equipped with wheels and locking mechanisms. This will greatly facilitate its further installation in the required area.
- The telescopic stand can be made of tubes or squares with different cross-sections. Each of them, one by one, is nested according to the matryoshka system. And you can push them using a roller construction and a specialized cable.
- A table that serves to fix plasterboard sheets or other building materials.
- A winch is required. With its help you will be able to extend the telescopic stand. The winch can be manually operated or electrically driven.
The very process of building a lift at home begins with the manufacture of a telescopic tripod. This will require three trimming of pipes with different sections of forty, eighty and sixty millimeters. All pipes must be drilled through so that the drilled holes match. This precision is required for further insertion of the stoppers.
Then three or four metal legs are welded to the telescopic tripod. This will give the structure stability. If desired, roller wheels can be attached to the legs and, as an option, a locking mechanism. From above, a frame is welded to the telescopic tripod, in an H-shaped format. It should be made of lightweight metal so as not to burden the structure.
Then it is necessary to fix the winch with blocks and ropes (it is permissible to use a strong rope) to the base of the telescopic tripod.
This procedure is done to easily lift and lower the entire plasterboard structure.
Most often, a home-made GKL lift has dimensions of 115 and 290 cm. These are the optimal dimensions. This diagram of the internal mechanism has detailed characteristics that should certainly be taken into account.
Regardless of whether you purchase a ready-made lifting mechanism or do your own production it is recommended not to forget about a few nuances that will help you purchase or build a high-quality device:
- Any material chosen for the construction of a lifting mechanism, a metal and wooden rack will equally experience a significant load. Therefore, it is recommended to equip all supporting elements of the lift with a "gusset" or any other details to give rigidity and strength to the structure.
- Consider in advance the option of constructing a folding structure of the lifting mechanism. The transportation of such a device will be easier, moreover, it will not be necessary to allocate a lot of space for its storage.
- In addition to the locking mechanisms that are located on the winches and rack and pinion gears, it is necessary to additionally purchase fixing parts. They will securely hold the plasterboard table raised at a height. Otherwise, there is a high risk of serious injury.
- Avoid models with plastic parts, they are extremely unreliable.
- The height of the lifting mechanism should reach four to five meters, this is quite enough for repair and installation work in a residential building or apartment. The height of the ceiling surface rarely exceeds these parameters.
- The mass of building materials loaded onto the lifting mechanism must withstand from thirty to fifty kilograms.
- The so-called table, on which plasterboard sheets or other building materials are fixed, is recommended to be selected in the H-shaped format. Such a base and spacer is more stable and durable.
- The versatility of the lift lies in the ability to work with both horizontal and vertical surfaces.