Nowadays, almost no car enthusiast can imagine his life without a garage. This important room serves as a shelter for a beloved car and at the same time performs a number of other useful functions - a repair shop, a storage room, and often a resting place.
That is why there are many subtleties of arranging a garage, the study of which will help make the garage as organic as possible.
Features of the
At first glance, setting up a garage may seem like a simple matter. Due to the fact that the garage, as a rule, is a small room and has a number of fairly simple functions. However, for the same reason, a number of features inherent only in this room emerge.
The first in terms of arrangement is the question of fire safety in order to avoid situations where you can lose both the garage and the car at once.
It is necessary to decide in advance which electrical appliances will be used in the garage, and do not forget to add lighting. Needed by yourself or by a qualified electrician calculate network load… This is an important planning part in which the suitability of the transformer and cables is determined.
If you need to replace the wiring and transformer, the best option would be to buy a thicker cable for larger loads with a margin. If in the future the garage owner wants to buy, for example, a welding machine, he will not have to change these components.
The second important feature of the garage arrangement is insulation.… Based on the climate of the region in which the garage is located, a sufficient level of thermal insulation is calculated. Otherwise, the garage will not be able to perform its direct function for most of the year, and the car will simply freeze.
Fortunately, there are more than enough types of room insulation now. They are selected individually in specialized stores. In this case plays a role in what temperature should be inside the room, how thick the walls are and what material they are, and also takes into account the need for subsequent finishing of these walls.
If there is heating inside, you can do with simple insulation of the walls with foam. This will be enough for a comfortable stay inside the garage and will allow you to maintain an acceptable temperature for the car longer.
A more radical way to preserve heat can be heating wiring with a thermostat.… In this case, the required temperature will always be maintained in the garage.
In addition to the obvious important features of the garage arrangement, it is worth deciding in advance for what purposes the garage will be used. If it only serves as a shelter for a car, storage of tires and spare parts, then perhaps you should not take the issue of finishing too seriously.
With the option when the garage must also be equipped for a repair shop, there is a need for a more thought-out layout and decoration.
Having decided what exactly will be in the garage, it is the turn to create a project. To do this, you can independently arm yourself with the necessary stationery and mark the garage. You can also order a garage project from specialists. Both are good the main thing is that when creating a sketch, important points are marked:
- Height, length and width of the room. Accuracy is important here, neglecting centimeters, later you can find that some important part of the furniture does not correspond to the remaining space.
- Determine what exactly will be inside, and enter the dimensions of these things: shelves, workbenches, racks, and so on. Everything that, one way or another, takes up space should be reflected in the project. Otherwise, it may turn out that the remaining space is barely enough for the machine itself. Of course, first of all it is worth starting from the dimensions of the garage. There is no need to arrange furniture and equipment under a carbon copy, like other owners.
So, for a garage of 3x6 m, the workbench is more likely to fit well against the far wall, which is quite convenient when working with the engine.
In the case of a 4x6 m garage, it is already possible to slightly move the space under the car, thus freeing the side wall. There are more options for arrangement.
- The next step is to check the sufficient width of the aisles between the shelves, racks and the car when it is in the garage. It is advisable not to forget this point throughout the creation of the project, then it will be easy to track the correctness of the furniture arrangement.
- Finally, we select the gate. It all depends on how much money the garage owner is willing to spend. There are special gates with increased protection. They are usually supplied with several locks, additionally equipped with loops through which a special cable is threaded. In this case, a hook is made in the garage floor to secure the cable, which serves as additional protection if the locks suddenly did not cope with the task.
In addition, garage doors can be additionally insulated from the inside. If the project provides for a warm garage, this is necessary, since it will blow from the cracks between the gate and the frame. But also as insulation, garage doors can come with interior decoration with clapboard.
However, here you can face the fact that the lining will be driven from the temperature drop and periodically it will need to be knocked into place.
At the stage of the project, a decision is made on the feasibility of an inspection pit (in its absence). An alternative to the pit can be a mobile overpass, on which the car is driven to open access to the lower part.
If we take as an example a standard garage of 6x3 m, then in the version with an overpass there is an obvious disadvantage - these are dimensions, and, accordingly, the space that they will occupy inside the garage. Unlike a garage of 6x4 m type, where an extra meter gives the necessary space.
Regardless of the size of the room, there is always the opportunity to implement the idea with a basement. Thus, there will be additional space for storing things or rarely used equipment.
Besides, the basement also functions as a viewing pit… And also there is enough internal space for digging out a cellar. This gives a great advantage both functionally and cost-effectively when selling a garage.
Nowadays, garages with premises for housing are gaining more and more popularity.… As a rule, the living space is the superstructure above the garage, equipped with heating and everything you need.
You can consider this option for the future, and at the project stage, take into account the superstructure with everything necessary to save money.
Interior decoration is also very important. Material for walls, floor and ceiling can be different. In addition to the obvious aesthetic qualities, one should not forget about practicality, and above all about safety. Today, it is possible to equip a garage without sacrificing safety and functionality with almost any material.
The main thing is that they have certain qualities:
- Incombustibility… An important point, especially if welding work is planned in the garage.
- Resistant to various chemicals… Few people think about it, considering it unimportant. However, walls or floors painted with the wrong paint can quickly peel off when in contact with gasoline or solvents.
- Resistance to mechanical damage… An example of an unsuccessful option here is drywall.Having a low degree of protection against mechanical stress, it will be inappropriate to use it for wall decoration.
- Wear resistance and durability… Agree, no one wants to apply new plaster or paint every year. Therefore, it is worth considering this point, especially in places with a harsh climate.
- Environmentally friendly materials… Do not forget that we are talking about the interior decoration of the premises. Using materials for external decoration as more durable and wear-resistant, there is a risk of acquiring material that is dangerous to human health. You should carefully study the instructions for use before choosing.
- Finally, materials must not get dirty.… Nuance, however, being in the garage, one way or another, there will be contact with the walls and so on. Therefore, it is important to pay attention to the fact that the material used does not leave marks on the clothes.
There is a huge range of materials on the market that, to a greater or lesser extent, meet these requirements. And they allow you to easily carry out the interior decoration of the garage with your own hands without much effort.
The most common is plaster… This option is most often used for wall decoration due to its economy, durability and simplicity. In addition, it is much faster to finish the walls with plaster.
Another thing is if you use plaster for finishing the ceiling. Here you can encounter obvious difficulties in work, and the consumption increases noticeably.
In addition, do not forget that after applying the plaster, it is necessary to apply facade paint on top of it. Otherwise, the plaster may start to crack.
The second material with similar finishing properties is ceramic tile… Its advantage is its increased strength, which allows it to be used for flooring. The obvious disadvantage is the energy consumption for DIY repairs. In addition, much more time is spent on finishing.
Longevity, a more pleasant look and the ability to choose a shade and pattern for every taste can serve as a plus.
Wood is an interesting material for decoration.… Of course, we are talking about wood finishing only on the walls. In the case of wood trim, there is one huge plus - the moisture accumulating inside the room will be taken over by the walls trimmed with wooden clapboard. This finish creates the most favorable conditions for storing the vehicle.
There are cases when brand new cars were stored in garages with wood trim for more than thirty years. No rust was found on them.
Garage landscaping cannot be completed without furniture. First of all, it is worth deciding how much money will be spent on this item. Based on this, the need to equip the garage with hand-made furniture will be seen. But do not forget that the main material of the furniture is still metal.
Thus, everything rests on the main attribute of furniture - a workbench. A finished workbench costs a lot of money depending on the model and size. New workbenches are usually completely metal. This makes them practically eternal.
The obvious advantage here is the time savings - it will be quite difficult to make such a workbench yourself.
The workbenches have a different number of levels and are always equipped with small boxes, which makes them very convenient. All tools are always at hand, and the work surface is always ready.
But the iron workbenches are pretty heavy. The table top and base are most often not disassembled. This makes transporting the workbench difficult. An alternative is just making a workbench by hand.
The main material for replacing metal is wood. It can be used to assemble the main frame of a workbench, drawers and even a tabletop. This will significantly reduce the weight of the finished structure and facilitate further placement and movement.But do not forget that since the workbench is the main workplace, it must be stable. therefore the structure must necessarily have a strong base.
A worktop made of wood must be covered with sheet metal, otherwise the workbench will lose its functionality.
In addition to the workbench, the second most important attributes of garage furniture are shelves. Everything is much simpler here. There are a large number of different shelves on the market made of metal for the garage.
The most convenient option would be ready-made racks.… Shelves come in a variety of sizes and are easy to assemble. It is only worth deciding what will be stored on them, and choosing racks with shelves designed for this weight.
Thus, you do not have to overpay for additionally reinforced racks, or, conversely, you will be able to choose a rack that will withstand a lot of weight.
Sometimes the shelves are also made of wood. but this option is only suitable for small additional shelvesdesigned for all sorts of little things. The main shelving unit, made of wood, can become askew over time and become unstable.
It is worth considering the availability and need for all sorts of equipment.
More and more garage owners prefer to have their own car wash in their garage. Of course, this will not be a full-fledged car wash, but it will be enough to wash the car. The sinks are sold ready-made, they take up very little space and are easy to use.
To equip a garage with a sink, you only need a water supply and drain, if it is impossible to do this directly on the street.
The compressor is also important. The options for using it in the garage are simply endless. From simple tire inflation to cleaning tools, blowing out car parts or dusting hard-to-reach garage corners.
When choosing a welding machine, you should know in advance what it will be used for. An electronic AC machine is suitable for general welding… But it is not suitable for bodywork, as it can burn holes. For these purposes, an apparatus with a tungsten electrode and a protective gas medium is required.
You will need this device when painting in your garage. Allows you to clean the air from water, oil and other elements that are unfavorable for painting.
Correctly selected equipment can greatly simplify the life of a motorist. There are quite a few options for equipment that can be placed in the garage. One has only to remember about the limited garage space.
The duplex garage is an excellent option for those looking to equip their garage to the highest standard.
Tips & Tricks
These tips are more suitable for concrete garage owners. There are many ideas for arranging such a garage.
But besides the idea itself, there are also a number of minor but important things to keep in mind:
- It is important to pay attention to the roof of the garage. In addition to good insulation, it should have at least a slight slope for the flow of water. It is better to equip the edge of the roof that is located above the gate with a drain. Thus, melted snow or rainwater will not penetrate into the gaps between the garage and the gate.
- In addition, it is worth checking where and in what condition the switchboard is located, from which there are wires that supply electricity to the garage. When the flap is outside, the drain should be placed so that water does not drain onto the flap. The shield itself must be isolated from water ingress - equipped with a cap.
- The garage must be ventilated. Most often, this role is played by vents - small holes in the upper parts of the walls. In winter, they must be covered to prevent snow from entering. In summer, open to ensure moisture removal.
- If you plan to carry out welding work or work related to chemicals in the garage, there will be few air outlets here. It is better to equip the garage with exhaust fans if it is impossible to work with an open gate. An alternative is the exhaust pipes, equipped at the top of the garage, and air inlets (mounted in the wall opposite to the pipes, at the bottom). However, this method is not always effective.
- The driveway of the garage should also slope away from the gate. This is especially true for garages with a lower level. Without a proper ramp, rainwater will accumulate at the gate and this can lead to lower level ceiling leaks. Which in general leads to the destruction of the base of the garage.
Garage driveway quality isn't just important for multi-level garages. In addition to accumulating moisture, the wrong slope can make it difficult to leave the garage… This is not very convenient, and besides, it can be adversely affected in winter. When the car is not yet warm enough, it is better not to expose it to additional loads.
Finally, a few beautiful examples of the arrangement of garages:
- Organized layout of all major tools. Tools are always at hand and clean.
- Seemingly simple, but functional arrangement of furniture, allowing you to leave most of the space free.
- A bold and costly decision. The window provides access to additional sunlight, but is more suitable for garages with a good view from the back wall.
- A successful selection of furniture for those who want to hide the entire tool, but at the same time always have access to it.
- An example of a simple homemade workbench that easily fits all the necessary equipment and leaves a place to work.
- Wooden workbench with space for bulky items. Instead of boxes, space on the wall was used for tools.
For information on how to equip a garage, see the next video.