Renovation is coming, and you already anticipate dust, dirt, tiresome leveling of walls and ceilings. But let's think positively! And we will not be engaged in repairs, but in the transformation of housing with the help of sheets of drywall.
Features and Benefits
Drywall is a gypsum board, pasted over on both sides with cardboard. You choose the thickness of the material based on the planned work. The thickest sheets of 12.5 mm are used when decorating walls and partitions, thinner than 9.5 mm - for ceiling design and 6.5 mm - for arches.
This fireproof material does not contain toxic substances, therefore it is equally suitable for the kitchen and for the children's room.
There are a number of reasons why you should opt for drywall:
- Firstly, it is an affordable and relatively cheap material.
- Secondly, it can be given any desired shape, cut, curved, and so on. There is where to roam creative imagination.
- Thirdly, you can forget about the mountains of construction waste. After all, a flat and smooth surface of drywall is already ready for any type of finish. It is also quite possible to improve heat and sound insulation, to “hide” electric wires.
You have a unique opportunity to feel like a designer. After all, drywall "obeys" even an inexperienced builder. It is important to be clear about the end result by drawing up an action plan. Only after that you start preparing the room, installing the ceiling and installing the profiles on which the drywall is attached. Finally, the use of GCR does not require special approval.
As you can see, plasterboard wall design has many advantages. But someone wants to carry out major repairs, and someone wants to change a separate room, so let's get acquainted with different modifications of this unique material.
Varieties of material
Depending on the purpose, drywall is divided into several types:
- Plates GKL gray with blue markings are universal for dry rooms.
- Drywall is "afraid" of water, so for the bathroom, choose waterproof GKLV boards of green color with blue markings.
- Fire-resistant drywall sheets (GKLO) gray with red markings have an increased ability to resist open fire.
- Plates GKLVO green with red markings are moisture resistance and increased fire resistance, and therefore ideal for kitchen design.
It is appropriate to say about a long-standing competitor to GKL - lining, which is made from alder, spruce, larch, pine and linden. It is affordable, strong, environmentally friendly and durable, provides good sound insulation and heat transfer.
The indisputable advantage of the lining is the lack of finishing. Paint, varnish or impregnate with refractory agents - and you're done.
GKL does not look so aesthetically pleasing. First you need to close up all the joints, then putty, grind, and only then proceed to the decoration.
Modern designers manage to combine both materials. However, they admit that interior decoration with clapboard is not always appropriate, and GKL is suitable for the embodiment of absolutely any design idea.
Which room is best to use?
There are a lot of examples of using drywall, but we will take the most practical ones. So, drywall partitions decorate the interior and streamline the arrangement of furniture, which allows rational use of space. And the state of mind of the inhabitants of the house largely depends on the environment.
In the nursery
The nursery usually combines a bedroom, playroom, living room and study area. And if there are two children in the family, a struggle for "territory" begins between them. Put things in order by placing a built-in niche or semi-wall of gypsum plasterboard.
Such partitions are decorated with acrylic paints, decoupage or bright stickers. It is not difficult to make them, they look beautiful, and the small inhabitants have their own personal space and a place where they can play. If you have one child, they will have a clearly marked place to study and rest.
The idea of the podium is interesting: at the bottom you can hide boxes with toys, and at the top you can place an armchair and a computer table.
In the living room
Our living rooms are a mixture of bedroom, lounge and study. An openwork or patterned wall on a curved frame will delimit the room and "hide" the electrical wiring. Even a beginner can do this kind of work. A whimsical composition of functional gypsum plasterboard shelves will decorate any interior.
False walls without doors are gaining popularity, which can be curly, openwork and even with niches for an aquarium, TV or storage.
A small wall with shelves in a small apartment will allow you to keep all the things you need close at hand.
You can create coziness in the bedroom area with the help of niches in which sleeping accessories can be placed. The creation of niches is also appropriate in the hall, because there will fit a TV, various figurines and other cute things.
Many people like the idea of significantly saving space, but remember that you need a strong frame that can withstand heavy objects.
In the hall
A simple or patterned arch will separate the hallway from the living room and kitchen. To do it, you need to measure the width of the opening and calculate the bending radius.
The resulting dimensions are applied to the gypsum board and cut out. A metal frame is installed at the place of work, lighting is laid, and only after that the structure is sheathed with plasterboard. In such a structure, the owner can provide for a housekeeper and niches for shelves.
Columns made of plasterboard, decorated with decorative plaster or plaster moldings, will become an exquisite decoration of the hallway.
It is not easy to make such a design: if you are unsure of your abilities, entrust the work to an experienced master.
For more information on how to make an arch from GLK with your own hands, see the next video.
In the kitchen
In the kitchen, they cook, eat, wash the dishes and store food. Therefore, it must be zoned so that the whole family is comfortable on it.
With the help of half partitions, they create a stylish and functional interior.
If you have a small kitchen, place a bar on it. It will separate the cooking and storage area from the dining room.
And if you decorate it with lighting and colored glass, the kitchen will become not only comfortable, but also elegant.
Sometimes you want to transform your home in the most incredible way. Let's turn to the most original design ideas for inspiration.
Relief images from drywall look unusual on the walls: plastic material will allow you to create any shape. Decide what you want to portray.
To bend drywall, make holes with a needle roller… Then prepare the room, install the frame and attach the gypsum board. The resulting figure needs to be plastered, and then decorated with paint, wallpaper or tiles.
Relief can also be created on smooth drywall. Gypsum or decorative plaster is bought in hardware stores, volumetric 3D images are made to order, and decorative bricks are cut from the remains of drywall with their own hands.
This finish will decorate the kitchen, living room, it looks spectacular in the corridor.… Marking is applied to the sheets of gypsum board, then cut with a clerical or construction knife, after which they give a texture with putty or textured plaster. After that, the bricks are fixed with assembly glue and prepared for painting.
The latest squeak of fashion is multi-level plasterboard ceilings with lamps, LED lighting or stretch fabric inserts.
In a small room, such a design will look bulky, but even a single-level ceiling with built-in spot lighting looks modern and stylish. And it does not distract attention from other interior items.
If you want to be in trend, but meters do not allow, stop the choice on two-level ceilings. They will not "weigh down" the design and will fit into any interior.
At the same time, it is important that they are consistent with the characteristics of the room.
Plasterboard construction in the kitchen will mask the ventilation pipes and harmoniously fit the ventilation box into the kitchen design. In the interior of the bedroom rectangular or oval levels look impressive, as if directing attention to the sleeping bed.
The plasterboard canvas looks original both with a stretched starry sky, and with photo wallpaper, and with stained glass inserts. Give colors to the ceilings in the nursery or "settle" silhouettes of your favorite characters on them.
Regardless of the size of the apartment, housing zones can be emphasized with high-quality lighting. The distance from the ceiling to the gypsum board should correspond to the size of the lamps, and the devices should complement each other and not be too bright.
So, spotlights will illuminate the kitchen countertop, and the chandelier will illuminate the dining area. Illumination of kitchen cabinets will add originality to the design and volume to the room.
The general light in the living room is created using a chandelier or spotlights.
The chandelier is placed in the center, but if you have a large room, consider several common light sources.
Spotlights will emphasize accents and highlight separate areas, and LED strip will decorate shelves and niches.
Combine general and local lighting in the nursery. On the ceiling install a chandelier and two or three spotlights: for the play and work area. Well, equip the bedroom with dim appliances, because you have to gain strength until the next day.
Useful tips from designers
Use the advice of experts - and then you will be able to do everything.
- Fabrics give elegance and bewitching beauty to the walls made of gypsum plasterboard. Tapestry, drape, chintz, silk and velvet are popular, and upholstery fabric is a budget option.
- If you are making a plasterboard partition with curly slots, soak the sheets with water. So it will be easy to bend them and fix them in the desired shape.
- If the color of the finish is in light colors, the amount of backlighting can be reduced. But in the interior of dark or cold shades, additional lamps will be needed.
- Reinforce the plasterboard wall with additional profiles - then it can be decorated even with heavy paintings.
- Purchase only branded drywall sheets, as they comply with all safety rules required for residential use.
Spectacular examples for inspiration
From thousands of original interiors, you can always choose several options to get inspired to transform your home with drywall sheets.
- A huge flower in bright and soft pink tones with spotlights on the ceiling creates a fabulous atmosphere in the little princess's room.
- A muted blue-green color scheme, coupled with a cosily illuminated niche, creates a sense of warmth and tranquility.
- The illuminated patterned arch is simple, but original and will become a highlight of any interior.
- A composition of a niche and shelves made of gypsum plasterboard will allow you to place all the necessary things, and spot lighting directed to its individual parts will make the room cozy, to the delight of all the inhabitants of the house.
- The arched design in the kitchen delimits the space, making it comfortable for both cooking and sitting at the dining table.