Repair of window openings does not end with the installation of a double-glazed window. The final stage is the formation of slopes. The most popular options for materials are considered to be plaster, plastic and drywall.
The use of the latter has some advantages over other types of finishes.
Features of drywall
Usually, the design of slopes with plasterboard is chosen by people who want to carry out repairs on their own without the involvement of experienced specialists. The result is an aesthetic appearance of a sloped window. This is due to some of the advantages of GCR.
- Thermal and sound insulation properties. If you want to additionally insulate the room, you can install double slopes with special insulating material.
- Light weight, which allows you to make only the frame for installation without additional reinforcement.
- A perfectly flat surface when using sheets of gypsum board contributes to an accelerated finish.
- The ability of drywall to "breathe", that is, when temperature drops or changes in humidity levels, there is no need to fear deformation of the sheets.
- Environmental Safety. Even in combination with other additives, slopes do not emit harmful gases into the environment.
- As a result of the work, minimal waste is obtained.
However, one should also take into account the disadvantages of the material during installation work:
- it is necessary to carefully handle drywall during repairs, to avoid any damage;
- it is necessary to additionally protect the surface from high humidity, since even moisture-resistant material will become vulnerable after a while when exposed to moisture.
Depending on the room where you want to install the slopes, choose a material from a certain type:
- with an average level of humidity in the room (up to 70%), standard drywall is suitable;
- in conditions where the humidity is more than 70%, gypsum boards with antifungal and hydrophobic additives are used;
- in conditions of increased fire hazard, gypsum boards with additives such as fiberglass and mineral wool are suitable, this option is used extremely rarely, but its equally important advantage is its high strength to mechanical stress.
Indoors, ordinary drywall is used when decorating slopes. If it is a humid room, it is necessary to make slopes from moisture-resistant types of gypsum board. The thickness of one sheet is 1.2 cm. The device of plasterboard slopes allows you to close up the joints and insulate the room, to get an aesthetic and presentable appearance of the window.
The advantages of installing slopes include speed, low cost, ease of use, obtaining symmetry of the window opening and insulation, and the disadvantages - a decrease in light transmission.
Installation of slopes is possible only after preliminary preparation. For door and window openings, the process is the same. However, in the first case special attention should be paid to some points.
- Availability of communications - cables, wires. It is necessary to lay them correctly.
- Possibility of installing an additional door. It may be needed if the first door is not insulated and there is no sound insulation.
Preparation for installing slopes on window openings is as follows:
- Initially, you need to prepare a workspace. To make it convenient to approach the window, nearby objects must be covered in order to protect them from moisture and dirt, since the installation of slopes from the gypsum board is a "wet" job.
- The base of the window reception is cleaned for good adhesion of the adhesive. Therefore, with the help of a brush, everything that peels off over time, falls off, falls off, is removed from the surface, then washed with water. The result is an absolutely clean base, which is carefully primed.
Tools and materials
Required tools and materials:
- adhesive solution;
- soil mixture;
- thermal insulation materials;
- attachment drill;
- construction knife;
- polyurethane foam;
- metal profiles.
Measurements and work with the opening
It is very important to correctly measure the windows. It is advisable to measure twice the depth of the window opening on each plane to make sure they are even. If the values diverge, you can take the width of the slope equal to the largest value. But each panel must be the same size.
If the slopes are located at a certain angle, then they must be equal on both sides.
To get the exact dimensions of the side panels, you can first make the corner templates from the gypsum board.
For the installation of window slopes and finishing of doorways, general rules apply.
- the distance from the door jamb, window frame to the corner is measured, this procedure is done at least three times;
- the height of the rack and the horizontal length are measured, in each section the measurement is carried out separately;
- all values are transferred to paper, and a drawing of all elements is made.
Drywall is easy to cut, the process includes:
- the required dimensions are transferred to the gypsum board;
- a ruler is applied to the drawn line, along it is drawn with a knife;
- I put a timber under the trim and break the sheet with a few blows along the edge, and simply cut the bottom of the cardboard;
- cut off uneven areas with an electric jigsaw or a hacksaw.
Do-it-yourself installation of slopes is done in several ways:
- using polyurethane foam;
- installation on putty;
- installation on a frame;
- glue method.
Using one of the methods, you can do the installation yourself for all types of bases.
One of the quickest and easiest procedures for installing slopes is to use polyurethane foam. It can also be used with small gaps between the window opening and the slope corner. But it must be remembered that in this case it is impossible to make a mistake with the amount of materials, as this will lead to deformation of the coating.
A certain order of laying slopes from sheets of gypsum board is used:
- Surface preparation.
- The cylinder with the polyurethane foam is thoroughly shaken. It is best to use formulations that are applied with a construction gun. But with a small surface area, you can do without them.
- The composition is applied in a thin layer to the back of the glued parts.
- The part is applied to the surface and immediately comes off back.
- After 10 minutes, the element is finally applied to the surface vertically, then horizontally, and again vertically.
- After one day, you can start finishing.
This option is considered optimal if you have to install slopes in a short time. In this case, the foam will serve as an adhesive and insulation, since it can be used to replace mineral wool.
Installation on putty
The option with putty is chosen when they want to make the slopes more reliable and stronger.
- thorough preparation of the surface, preparation of the mixture;
- applying the solution to the wrong side of the part over the entire area of the panel;
- installation of the element on the surface, while you need to make it so that it adheres well. For better adhesion, the base is sprayed with water to moisten. And for reliability and strength of fixation, spacers are installed.
- each fragment is installed on the surface, after which it is left for two days for better setting of the solution and base;
The result is reliable coverage.
This method is suitable for mounting slopes on the entrance and internal interior doors made of gypsum plasterboard.
This method allows you to get a practical surface, but it is important to know that the material is fastened with self-tapping screws or dowels. Therefore, it is necessary to adhere to some rules, for example, the screws must be screwed without deepening on the surface, but flush.
Creation of the lathing:
- it is necessary to arm yourself with wooden beams or metal profiles;
- segments are cut from the guides, the dimensions of which were obtained during measurements;
- if necessary, the frame can be insulated with mineral wool;
- drywall elements are installed only after the crate has been created;
- self-tapping screws fix all parts to the surface.
This method is suitable when the installation of the slopes is carried out in combination with the cladding of adjacent walls. When working with doorways, its size will slightly decrease.
At first glance, this method of installation seems simple, but there are some difficulties, for example, it is necessary to observe the angles of inclination when gluing elements. It is recommended to use the glue method when there is a need to maintain the original dimensions of the window openings.
The advantages of the glue method include:
- speed of execution;
- minimum amount of materials;
- before painting the surface, it is enough just to putty the slopes.
Plasterboard slopes are coated with glue. To prevent the adhesive composition from spreading after pressing the element to the surface, the adhesive should be applied in a non-continuous layer to the drywall.
To prevent the upper parts from falling off while the glue dries, use spacers that rest on the windowsill or on the floor, and fix the drywall parts with the other end.
After installing the slopes, it may be necessary to seal the joints. In this case, acrylic sealant will come to the rescue, which allows you to protect the cracking of the joints. It can be given the desired shade with acrylic paint.
Registration of sloping corners
The gap between the wall and the plasterboard sheet is plastered. The resulting seam is processed by sheathing with reinforcing tape or mesh, and then putty.
The corners are reinforced with a perforated corner, which is attached with a stapler.
Finishing is necessary to give the structure a presentable look. For this process, you need to purchase a putty and paint. And you can also install profiled metal corners to prevent premature wear of the corners of drywall sheets. For this, perforated protective parts are installed on the corner slopes. To avoid voids and irregularities, the adhesive is applied in a thin uniform layer, as when working with slope elements.
Next, work is carried out to strengthen the corner of the room
- The protective part is pressed into the fixing solution until it stops. As this solution, glue or putty can be used. Excess mortar is removed with a spatula.
- It is necessary to constantly monitor the evenness of the lines vertically and horizontally, which will require a building level. After the installation of the profiled elements, they are putty. A protective composition is applied to the slopes in several layers, while regularly leveling irregularities and bumps.
- Minor irregularities can be removed with sandpaper or a sander.
- After the putty dries, the defects are masked by priming the surface in several layers, by regular cleaning with an abrasive mesh.
It is recommended to use rubber paint for finishing work., which provides the ability to wash slopes and protect the surface of entrance doors and windows from damage.
Before painting, it is necessary to process the base with a swing brush, a roller for the appearance of roughness. In this case, the paint will lay in an even layer. It should be painted in two or three layers so that all areas are evenly covered.
Compliance with all the nuances will avoid the appearance of defects not only at the end of the finishing process, but also under further operating conditions. However, most often at the first stages of work, mistakes are made when measuring and cutting drywall sheets, which leads to damage to the aesthetic appearance of the entire structure.
The most common problem is the appearance of gaps between the two panels. To avoid this problem, use a liquid material, but cardinal changes still will not occur, since drywall and plastic are very different in texture. In this case, experts recommend using plastic profiles to decorate the side and lower sections of the GCR structure.
This will help hide a loose fit or noticeable dimples and bumps.
But it is also undesirable to fill the gaps with glue when installing inclined slopes. If the gap near the window frame is more than 30 mm, it is advised to glue it with a strip of drywall, where then glue the slope.
For how to make plasterboard window slopes with your own hands, see the next video.