Baths in Russia have existed since ancient times. And if in the old days the main task of the bath was hygienic procedures and maintaining cleanliness, then in the modern world it is rather a place of comfortable rest with family and friends, as well as an opportunity to demonstrate their financial solvency, because not every Russian can afford his own bathhouse.
Nowadays, baths are built from materials of exceptionally high quality so that they are comfortable, practical and serve faithfully for many years.
A modern bath is not just a steam room. This is a whole multifunctional complex that includes everything that can be located in a well-maintained house: the steam room itself, a recreation room, a gym or billiard room, a small pool and an open veranda.
Features of the
A spacious terrace is perhaps the biggest dream of any metropolitan resident who appreciates outdoor recreation in the company of close friends. However, if your cottage is not equipped with a veranda, as is often the case in old private houses and modern typical cottages, then you can compensate for this shortcoming and build a bathhouse in the yard, equipping it with a functional recreation area.
Thanks to this, several tasks can be solved at once:
- the presence of a bath "without leaving home";
- the presence of a terrace, which can be used as the most common gazebo, where you can arrange emotional gatherings in a pleasant company;
- a practical solution to the problem of organizing friendly or family leisure;
- if necessary, the solution of the ill-fated "housing issue".
Terraces can be equipped with barbecues, grills and barbecues, without which no picnic is complete. There are other pleasant bonuses of such designs - you can fry kebabs and prepare other snacks right on the veranda.
In addition, the joint construction of a bathhouse and a terrace allows maintaining a single architectural style and adhering to the concept of landscape design throughout the entire site. There is no need to connect separate objects with paths, and this greatly increases the total usable area of the land plot, which can be used for a flower bed, rockery or lawn.
Well, and, of course, combining a bath with a resting place allows you to save on construction work, since the wall of the bath simultaneously serves as a wall of the veranda, and this significantly reduces the consumption of necessary materials.
It should be separately emphasized that it is much more difficult to join a terrace with a bathhouse than to build them at a time.
If the common foundation was not laid even at the stage of foundation construction, then it is better to abandon the idea of a bath + terrace "2 in 1", especially if the soil is heaving. In this case, both parts will shrink differently, which leads to cracking of the walls.
If you are determined to combine two functional buildings, then it is worth considering the basic aspects of this technological process.
It is optimal to build a veranda only after the building has finished shrinking., after that they equip the columnar foundation and erect the perimeter of the building on it.
To reduce the likelihood of distortions, the terrace can simply not be connected to the main wall. bath complex, and mask all the gaps that appear with polyurethane foam or using sliding fasteners.
It is better to equip the roof separately for both structural elements., and so that no water is poured between the roof of the bath and the veranda covering, an L-shaped ebb is equipped. It is placed 2-3 cm above the terrace and mounted to the log.
Choice of materials
Most builders assure that the bath should be wooden, and the best material is coniferous wood. This is a very common misconception. The fact is that the coniferous tree is characterized by increased resinousness, and this resin begins to emit a pungent odor under conditions of elevated temperature. That is why it is recommended to take coniferous varieties only for the construction of frame boxes, but for finishing interior decoration, it is worth giving preference to linden, alder or oak wood.
Keep in mind that pine, juniper and cedar fumes are beneficial for the body only in small amounts. Inhalation of large doses can cause significant damage to the airways - their passages are blocked, and inhalation / exhalation becomes difficult.
It is equally important to determine the typical form of wood material. Many people use a log in the construction of baths, since such structures can work effectively in any season in a variety of climatic conditions. Other consumers prefer timber. This material is more expensive than logs. However, its operational parameters are also higher: the timber fits faster, but it cracks much less often.
In any case, both types of timber are suitable for the construction of a bath with a terrace, and the final choice is only a matter of personal preference of the owner of the site.
Gas silicate blocks and foam concrete are well suited for the construction of bath houses … These are relatively inexpensive materials that effectively solve all the problems associated with thermal insulation of a room.
The only thing that you need to pay special attention to is the equipment for highly effective waterproofing of the walls and their high-quality putty. The air in the steam room is humid, therefore walls must be reliably protected from the adverse effects of moisture … Nowadays, brick baths are practically not built, although this material is considered the most optimal for the finishing cladding of the facade of a country building, decorative brick verandah fences also look very stylish.
For those who are looking for original solutions for their site, we can recommend a round bath with a terrace, built using the environmentally friendly technology "clay". All it takes is a couple of dump trucks of firewood, a truckload of hay, and a large clay machine.
Design and layout
At its core, creating a project for a bath with a terrace is, in general, a simple task, but in practice it requires the observance and application of a large number of very different rules and principles.
The area of the steam room should be at least 10 sq. m, and the ceiling height is not lower than 2 m - with this arrangement of the bath, three people can be in the room at the same time without losing comfort.
It is recommended to place windows and doors on the south side.… In this case, heat loss will be minimal, and in addition, in the winter months from the south, the least amount of snow is formed.
For any bath, it is essential to have the possibility of a natural runoff of water, therefore, the subfloor, as a rule, is performed at a certain angle.
When installing a bath complex, it is forbidden to mount cables, lamps and shades; they can cause an accident if they come into contact with steam. When building such premises, it is worth giving preference to specialized materials.though they are by no means cheap.
Depending on the location of the baths and terraces, there are several types of layouts: open, closed and corner.
A mansion with a large open veranda and equipped steam rooms is not only stylish, but also quite comfortable. On the veranda, at any time, you can equip a small functional gazebo, put a grill or grill for barbecuing and cooking other dishes for which air access is important.
The terrace often acts as a playground for young children, a place for meeting guests and dancing. It is on the veranda that it is so comfortable to read, draw or just relax even in the most inclement weather, since it is usually reliably protected from the wind and sun.
For greater comfort, you can hang curtains, they will protect from the piercing wind and annoying mosquitoes and other stinging insects.
Today, more and more owners of private houses and cottages give preference to the most efficient use of their land plots. Lands, especially those located within the city, in the overwhelming majority of cases are small in size, and the owners want to build in their courtyard and a bathhouse with a gazebo, and other recreational facilities. This is especially important during the landscape planning phase.
If there is no house on the new site, but its construction is planned for several years, then for a start it is worth building a bath … At first, it can be used not only for its intended purpose, but also play the role of a summer kitchen, warehouse and storage place for garden tools. Subsequently, a garage can be arranged above the bath and on either side of it, as well as living rooms and a connected veranda can be equipped. This type of construction is called closed.
This also includes projects for free-standing bath structures, to which a covered veranda is attached.
It increases the total area of the recreation space and solves a number of tasks:
- allows you to use the useful space as an additional place for gatherings with family and friends;
- use of the terrace for a comfortable rest outside the bath complex;
- arrangement of a winter garden on the terrace;
- use for the purpose of an additional area of the utility block for storing household equipment.
As a rule, panoramic glazing is used in closed terraces, and the glass is made transparent or mosaic.
Corner types of baths with a terrace are quite popular and widespread. This arrangement is considered a modern trend in garden construction. The structure has a unique configuration, takes up little space on the site, fits harmoniously into any landscape design and is combined with other buildings in the yard. Well, in addition, such a bathhouse with a veranda is quite spacious inside due to its shape.
Corner modifications are preferred in situations where it is necessary for the bath to be as close to the cottage as possible, almost close - this may be due to the characteristics of the site or the personal wishes of the owner of the house. Moreover, the terrace, which is adjacent to the main building, can have any shape - square or rectangular.
The corner bath is ergonomic. The use of this type of layout creates conditions for a more logical and beautiful use of the area of the site, and also allows you to put in order the areas adjacent to the house.
A distinctive feature of corner structures is their peculiar shape. In the traditional version, the basic functional area of the room (the steam room itself and the shower room) are located perpendicular to the leisure area.
In corner-type buildings, the stove is located in the middle between the steam room and the recreation room, thanks to this, the entire space is heated, which is extremely important in the cold winter season.
Corner structures are optimal for small areas. They are located on one of the corners of the local area, take up little space and fit into any landscape composition.
Buildings in the shape of a triangle always look quite stylish and attract attention with their architectural design. It is the corner baths with verandas that are considered the most acceptable in terms of ergonomics, practicality and functionality.
Examples of finished buildings
The choice of a specific project for the construction of a bath with a terrace most often depends on the parameters of the local area.
- For instance, classic version - a project of a typical bath with a size of 6x9 m optimal for houses with a fairly large yard. Such a guest recreation area can comfortably fit not only a family, but also a large group of friends. In this case, it is planned to build a joint foundation for both zones. Do not dwell on one-story buildings. Often, the structures are made two-story and on the lower one they have a steam room with a veranda, and on the second they equip a room or a billiard room, a toilet.
- If the bathhouse is attached close to a residential building, then in this situation there will be a project with parameters 5x6 or 6x6 m will look harmonious … The proportions will allow it to fit into the design concept of any type of site. At the same time, the owners not only significantly expand the area of the house, but also get a cozy place where they can meet friends and family in any weather. By the way, this will create additional heating of the walls of the main building, and this is also of no small importance.
- Sauna 4 x 4.5 m with a terrace - one of the typical projects offered by construction companies. A bath of this layout contains three functional rooms: a recreation area, a steam room with a font. An open veranda is attached to the bathhouse on a separate foundation. Such a project assumes that the entrance to the resting place is made from the street, and this can be extremely uncomfortable, especially in autumn and winter. To eliminate such a defect, you can make the veranda covered or partition off part of the room and remake it under the vestibule.
- Sauna project 6x4 with a terrace involves the arrangement of a small-sized vestibule, since such a bath can be operated without any alterations in the cold season. The steam room and shower are not combined, but their dimensions are almost identical. This is not always justified in terms of ergonomics. In the shower, as a rule, they wash one by one. Therefore, it would be more correct to make it a little more compact, but for the steam room it is worth taking more space, since there, for the most part, 2-3 people are steamed.
- Bath drawing 6 x 5 (with a protruding terrace) - another typical version of a bath with a fenced vestibule. With this version of the layout, it occupies a small part of the veranda, therefore, in order not to conceal its functional area, part of the veranda is simply designed as an extension, that is, it is “pushed” beyond the existing foundation of the building. Sometimes it is increased even more, making it in the form of the letter "G". This allows you to form and equip a spacious area for a good rest for a large or small company at any time of the year. At the same time, a small section of the gazebo can be safely taken away for a grill, barbecue or installation of a barbecue.
- Sauna project 6 x 6 with an open veranda has the same number of interiors, but their total area has become a little larger. In such a modification, it is already possible to fence off a small area for a dressing room, and for relaxation in the cold season it will be possible to equip a vestibule.
In the next video, you will find a presentation of the bath 4.5 x 5 m with a terrace made of timber.