A collapsible garage is a convenient and practical structure for placing a vehicle and is very popular among motorists.
Our article is devoted to the features of this design.
Features of the
A collapsible garage is a pre-fabricated temporary or permanent structure, the installation of which does not require the formation of a capital foundation, and the installation does not cause any particular difficulties and can be done independently. Factory prefabricated garage is produced in standard sizes with a minimum width of 2.9 m, a length of 4.6 and a height of 1 m 80 cm.
Larger models are 3.5 m high, 4 m wide and 6 m long. Prefabricated garages are a constructor, which consists of frame parts, cladding panels and fasteners.
The structure frame is made of galvanized steel U-shaped or square configuration, which has good anti-corrosion resistance and ensures the strength and rigidity of the structure. The steel has the first class of galvanizing and is characterized by a high strength index C-350.
To give the garage more stability, diagonal stiffeners are often installed between the vertical elements of the frame, which help withstand the wind load and guarantee the preservation of the original forms of the structure throughout the entire service life.
On the upper part of the frame, there is a rafter system designed for a two- or single-pitched roof.
To ensure hydro- and thermal insulation of the structure, the kit includes additional elements in the form of abutment strips, which provide protection from wind and rain.
The roof can be made of sheet metal, galvanized profiled sheet, metal tiles and sandwich panels with insulation. The simplicity of the roof structure allows you to place any type of ventilation system and to insulate the ceiling.
The frame structure consists of an upper and a lower frame, to which vertically positioned struts are screwed. The step length between two adjacent elements is 2 meters. Racks are placed around the entire perimeter of the structure, and the front side of the garage has two additional supports for the installation of the gate.
The walls of the structure are made of corrugated board with a thickness of 2 mm, attached to the frame with bolts and a metal corner.
Garages are equipped with gates with lifting, sliding or swing opening system. The swing system is the most budget-friendly option, but it has a significant drawback, which is the difficulty of accessing the garage during heavy snowfalls. Also the swing system implies the presence of free space in front of the structurerequired for the free opening of the doors.
The cost of a collapsible garage depends on many factors. The presence of thermal insulation and an automatic gate opening system, the number of shelves and racks, equipment with a ventilation system, the presence of additional windows and a fire alarm are taken into account.
Advantages and disadvantages
The high consumer demand for collapsible garages is due to a number of indisputable advantages of their design:
- The low cost in comparison with fixed permanent structures and underground parking lots explains the growing popularity and demand for prefabricated systems.
- Quick and easy installation without the need for expensive equipment and the involvement of specialists allows you to independently and in a short time install a full-fledged garage.
- Due to the fact that a collapsible garage does not belong to capital buildings, special permits and conclusions are not required for its installation.
- The high fire safety of the structure is due to the absence of flammable and combustion-supporting materials in its structure.
- The low weight of the garage allows it to be installed without a foundation.
- High anti-vandal properties and resistance to mechanical stress contribute to the preservation of the original appearance throughout the entire service life.
- Good shielding characteristics are due to the fact that metal is not easy to cut. This will require special equipment, and the process itself will make a lot of noise, which will attract the attention of others.
- The versatility of the design makes it possible to use a collapsible garage in any climatic zone.
The disadvantages of prefabricated structures include the likelihood of theft of the garage using a hydraulic crane and a car platform.
The installation of a strip or columnar foundation and the formation of a 10 cm thick concrete floor will help to avoid troubles.In addition, it is recommended to weld the garage walls to the concreted reinforcement bars in 50 cm increments.
The appearance of condensation on the internal surfaces of the structure is also considered a disadvantage. In order to prevent this phenomenon, the ceiling and walls should be insulated with mineral wool or expanded polystyrene plates, followed by finishing and sheathed with fiberboard.
Another disadvantage of collapsible garages is their susceptibility to corrosion, to prevent which structures need to be painted regularly. This is especially true of self-made buildings.
Attention is also drawn to the low temperatures inside the garage during the cold season. This problem can be partially solved by installing a heating system and pre-insulating the floor, ceiling and walls.
Structurally collapsible garages are presented in three types:
Frame-metal… This is the most common type of collapsible structures and is considered the most versatile. It is distinguished by its ease of assembly and low cost. The frame is usually a steel profile, but sometimes a wooden beam or board is used. The metal structure is sheathed with iron sheets with a thickness of 2 mm and, if necessary, painted
Sandwich panel structures… The models are made on the basis of a metal frame and have high heat-saving characteristics. A sandwich panel is a structure of two layers of sheet metal with a heater between them and is characterized by fire resistance and aesthetic appearance. This allows not to carry out decorative finishing inside the garage and not to use additional insulation
Awning… The structures are distinguished by their high installation speed and low cost. The formed shelter is a temporary structure and allows you to store a car in it at the dacha during a warm period. The garage has a frame base, and a durable thick fabric acts as a protective material. In order to install an awning garage, you need to dig in and concrete four pillars, and then pull the awning over them
There is a huge amount of materials on the modern construction market, so it will not be difficult to assemble a garage on your own. Initially, their list should be determined, and the required number should be calculated. Materials can be divided into three groups according to their accessory: for the foundation, frame and cladding.
If you plan to design a metal frame, then you need to stock up on corners, galvanized profiles and pipes. If the frame is planned to be made of wood, then you will need a board, plywood and timber.
Next, you need to decide on the material for the formation of the foundation.
If the car garage is being built as a permanent structure, then it is recommended to use a concrete foundation, which will serve as a reliable foundation for the entire structure.
Reinforced concrete slabs are well suited for the floor, which greatly increases its strength.
However, it should be borne in mind that gravel should be poured under the concrete floor… It creates the "cushion" necessary to raise the garage above ground level and prevents rain and melt water from flowing under the garage.
To form a concrete floor and a screed, cement M-200, crushed stone, sand and reinforcement rods with a thickness of 6 to 8 mm will be required.
For the interior decoration of the finished garage, you will need drywall sheets, plywood and lining. If the garage is planned to be used for storing a car in the winter, then it is additionally recommended to purchase a heater. For the exterior of a homemade garage, you will need a primer and paint.
How to assemble?
Unlike permanent panel structures, a quick-assembly metal garage can be built on your own.
The assembly is conventionally divided into several stages:
Formation of the foundation start by removing the fertile layer and thoroughly compacting the soil. Then, exactly repeating the size of the frame, a trench is dug, the depth of which should not exceed 50, and the width - 60 cm. The bottom of the trench is covered with sand and carefully compacted. The layer thickness is usually 20 cm. Next, a plywood formwork is installed with a height of 20 cm above ground level
The distance between the plywood sheets should be 40 cm, and the bottom should be covered with polyethylene. Then you need to install the reinforcement rods, tie them with wire and fix them with transverse rods, the distance between which should not exceed 50 cm.Further, a cement mortar is prepared and poured, consisting of one part of cement, two parts of sand and two parts of crushed stone. After the concrete has completely solidified, the formwork is removed.
Screed device… Initially, the floor should be covered with sand. The thickness of the layer should be at least 10 cm. After that, the sand is carefully compacted. Then a reinforcing mesh made of reinforcement with a thickness of 8 to 12 mm is laid on top of the sand layer, and beacons are inserted. Next, a layer of solution with a thickness of 10 cm is poured
Installing the frame… In the first stage, the lower frame is exposed and firmly fixed on the completely dried foundation. It is very important to carefully align the structure using a building level. Then a vertical profile is installed at the corners of the frame and in the place of fastening of the doors
Next, the roof truss is mounted, and the roof is laid. Fastening of the frame elements is carried out using bolts, nuts and self-tapping screws for metal.
Gate installation… For collapsible home-made garages, it is more rational to use a two-leaf swing system. The first step is to assemble the frame for each half, and drill holes for the bolts in it. Then the canvases are fixed in frames, and the resulting sashes are hung on internal hinges, which should be previously screwed to the uprights
Sheet metal cladding… To form the walls of the garage, sheet steel or corrugated sheet is usually used. The material should be fixed using self-tapping screws for metal, laying rubber washers under them. After the installation is completed, the surface is primed and painted
For painting, you can use alkyd or acrylic enamel. Alkyd paint dries very quickly, but is characterized by increased flammability.Acrylic has a long service life, does not fade in the sun, is non-toxic and fireproof.
- Installation of locks… The most suitable option are mortise and overhead models. The use of padlocks is not recommended due to their low burglar resistance. A vertical latch should be installed on the inner part of one of the leaves, which is necessary for better fixing of the gate.
- Installation of electrical wiring, ventilation and insulation is made at the request of the owner of the garage. Temporary and seasonal structures are usually not equipped with additional systems.
Tips & Tricks
Strict adherence to the installation technology and advice from experienced specialists will help build a reliable and durable structure for storing a car.
- Only galvanized fasteners should be used to connect structural parts. This will help to avoid damage to the metal by corrosion and extend the life of the structure.
- When assembling the frame, it is recommended to constantly check the readings of the building level. The correctness of the construction of the structure as a whole depends on how smoothly the installation of the lower strapping will be performed.
- The slope of the roof must be 20 degrees or more. With a lower slope, water will accumulate on the roof surface and adversely affect the metal.
- Sheathing the frame with sheet metal should be done from the bottom up.
- The most budgetary and effective insulation is polystyrene. To fix it on the inner surface of the garage walls, you can use foam and galvanized anchors.
- Fasteners should be thoroughly lubricated during installation. This will help to quickly unscrew them when dismantling is necessary.
A collapsible garage is a lightweight, but at the same time durable structure, and allows you to solve the problem of temporary and permanent placement of vehicles, while significantly saving money.
For information on how to assemble a collapsible garage with your own hands, see the next video.