Drywall is a popular material used in construction and renovation. The use of such material simplifies many types of work.
To work with LGK was easy, you need to know how to choose tools for processing and fastening.
Features of the
Features of the choice of tools depend on how this material is attached to the working surface.
In most cases, the following methods are used:
- Using a metal profile … Reiki is used to create the frame of the future structure. The base of the profiles is assembled depending on the requirements of the consumer. The frame can be in the form of a simple box or a complex multi-level structure. After creating a metal skeleton, sheets of drywall are attached to it. This method requires special accuracy; every detail should be carefully measured and fastened to each other evenly. If distortions occur, the drywall product will look sloppy.
- Fastening drywall directly to the wall … This method is good to use if the surface on which you want to fix the drywall is well drilled and has a flat surface. To keep the sheets tight, it is better to use long dowels, screws or nails. This method is undesirable to use in new houses, they will sag and the drywall sheet may deform or crack.
- Fastening drywall to mortar … Sheets are attached in such a way if the concrete wall is poorly leveled. Drywall not only flattens the wall but also hides voids. The walls are durable and you can fix shelves or other heavy objects on them.
To make the walls of drywall smooth and neat, you should choose the right tool.
When choosing tools for working with drywall, the most important choice is the choice of power tools. Perforator - one of the irreplaceable devices. It is needed for drilling holes in dense walls of brick, concrete and similar materials.
You should choose powerful and high-quality models. A cheap tool may not cope with a large amount of work. Do not replace the hammer drill with a hammer drill, it is not suitable for long-term drilling.
Screwdriver by value does not lose to the puncher. A similar device is used at all stages of working with drywall. The cordless screwdriver is suitable for small jobs. For large-scale work, it is better to choose a model that works on the network.
Cassette (or tape) screwdriver Is a more professional tool. A nozzle with an automatic self-tapping screw feed will be indispensable for a large volume of work, will save a lot of time and fully justify its high cost.
When working with a metal profile, you will need Bulgarian … You can get by with a hacksaw or metal scissors, but if you need to make a large frame, it is better to use an electric tool.
For sawing drywall sheets used jigsaw … With its help, you can create a curly slice of the sheet. For example, to create a ceiling with decorative shapes.
In addition to power tools, hand tools are required to work with drywall.
Handcrafted gadgets are much cheaper, but also very important. The list of hand tools is more extensive.
Even with a grinder need scissors for metal … To attach the profiles to each other, it will be necessary to make cuts. It is more convenient to do basic work with large scissors, and for smaller work it is worth purchasing a smaller device.
If necessary, punch a hole in the profile is used punch … It works on a system similar to a hole punch. Pressing punches a hole, which is usually used for cable routing.
You can use a drill and drill bit for metal, but then the hole may turn out to be uneven.
If, when working with drywall, the connection of metal profiles is required, use cutter … Fastening is done according to the rivet principle. The spreader is more convenient for connecting the profile in comparison with a drill or screwdriver. Therefore, it is worth purchasing this tool when working with drywall.
A drywall knife is used to cut the sheets in a straight line. You can save on this tool. Whether the knife is professional or amateur does not matter.
A needle roller will help to give the sheet a bent shape.… Cross cuts can be made, but the roller is easier to work with. With the help of this tool, a notch is made on one of the sides and the drywall is given the desired shape quickly, without the risk of breaking the sheet.
To trim the edges of the slab at a specific angle, and a plane is used to clean the edge of the sheet … When working with gypsum boards, peeling and edging devices are used.
The first type aligns the edge. In another way, the roughing plane is called rasp … In the structure of this tool there is a handle, a frame and a base - a grater. When working, a sheet of drywall is held, and a plane is drawn along the edge, thereby making it even and beautiful.
An edge planer is required to create a 45-degree cut. The basis of this device consists of blades that can be offset and adjust the working depth.
Often it is necessary to mount socket boxes in drywall. To perform this operation correctly, you will need crown.
According to European standards, the standard socket box has a diameter of 68 mm. The crown should be chosen the same size.
In addition to the above hand tools, to work with drywall you will need tools that can be found in the house of any owner: hammer, pliers, various spatulas, and other tools.
In order for the work to be neat and beautiful as a result, drywall should be mounted on a surface with a pre-prepared ruler, for which measuring instruments are required.
Building level you will need to apply straight marking lines before starting installation. There are different types of levels. A laser is needed for general marking, and a regular one for aligning smaller parts.
For work with drywall you will need roulette … The measuring tape should be quite long, preferably metal, with clear large numbers. It will be convenient to use a model with a magnetic attachment.
Measuring cord - an easy-to-use tool, but if used correctly, can replace a laser level.
The above tools will be enough for working with drywall. But if necessary, you can purchase additional tools that will facilitate the work.
The lift will greatly facilitate the task if the drywall sheet is attached to the ceiling alone. The sheet is fixed on fasteners, rises to the desired height and is fastened with self-tapping screws. Lifting the sheets in this way prevents damage to this fragile material.
It is convenient to use a carrier for transporting sheets … Such a device is a handle with projections, sheathed with soft material.
So that all small tools are always at hand, it is convenient to use a mounting belt. The belt will be especially useful when working at height.
The disadvantage of using gypsum board is the complexity of attaching various items to this material. But this problem can be solved by using special fasteners for drywall.
Fasteners will differ depending on the item to be hung on the drywall. If you need to hang a light object (chandelier, mirror, shelf, picture), it is enough to use the "Snail" or "Butterfly" dowels … They are inserted into drywall, and self-tapping screws are screwed into them.
Anchor bolts must be used to secure heavier items.… These elements go into the wall by 5 cm and ensure a secure location of the desired object.
When working with gypsum board, safety precautions must be followed, especially if the installation of the cladding is done by hand.
When plasterboard works, the following rules should be observed:
- the worker must be dressed in special clothing and provided with personal protective equipment;
- the workplace must be kept in order, clutter must not be allowed;
- any tools are used only for their intended purpose;
- when working with scaffolding or ladders, they must be installed securely on the surface. Being at a height, you do not need to stretch to the side.
When working with a power tool, remember the following rules:
- the electric tool must work properly;
- there must be no damage to the tool;
- you cannot use an electric tool while on a stepladder;
- it is forbidden to repair the power tool yourself;
- disregard the plugged-in power tool.
Observing these simple rules, work with drywall will take place without injury.
Today the market is filled with a large number of manufacturers of construction tools. One of them is Polish manufacturer Topex … This brand produces hand tools of fairly good quality and for relatively little money. Consumers are familiar with this firm.
The products of this brand are mostly intended for non-professional use, but specialists often purchase them as well.
The 350 mm Topex drywall cutter is a good example of a tool for working with metal profiles.
Another manufacturer of hand tools - Canadian firm Fit … This company has existed on the Russian market since 1999. During this time, she has established herself as a manufacturer of high-quality, reliable and inexpensive tools. Also among the Fit products you can find consumables for the power tool.
Since 2003, hand tools and equipment manufactured by by the German firm Matrix … The factories where these products are manufactured are located in China and Taiwan.
On the shelves you can find a large assortment of tools made in Russia. Instruments made by domestic firms are not inferior in quality to imported ones, and the price can be several times lower. Among the Russian manufacturers, it is worth noting Santol, Intek, LLC "Media", OJSC "Novosibirsk Instrumentalny Zavod", "ZUBR", "Metallist", "SibrTech" other.
Among the manufacturers of power tools intended for home use, Bosh and Interskol were noted as the best reviews.
Bosh tools have long established themselves in the market. The assortment of this company includes a more expensive professional tool. A distinctive feature of such a tool is the design of the case in blue. If the instrument is presented in green tones, it is intended for home use.… Both types of equipment from this manufacturer are of high quality and reliability.
Interskol Is a Russian manufacturer of power tools. The products of this brand are not only popular at home, but also exported abroad. The company entered the market 15 years ago and during this time has achieved good results. It is ranked among the top ten power tool manufacturers and has received international recognition.
A significant advantage of the company is the presence of a large number of service centers throughout Russia.
The factories carry out quality control of products and the manufacturer gives a two-year warranty on their tools. The company is constantly implementing new solutions in the production of equipment.
The choice of tools should be approached responsibly. The most expensive equipment is electrical.
So that the money spent on equipment does not go to waste, you need to adhere to the following tips:
- the appearance of the instrument should be pleasant, with comfortable grips and a suitable arrangement of buttons;
- equipment must be equipped with an additional protection system;
- no need to make spontaneous purchases, it is recommended to consider several manufacturers before purchasing a tool;
- a quality tool should work without extraneous noise;
- there should be no cracks on the body of the product and it should not vibrate strongly during operation;
- rotating parts of the tool should stop smoothly;
- it is better to make a purchase in specialized stores;
- you should choose well-known manufacturers so that in the event of a breakdown, you can easily find accessories for the tool.
The ability to work correctly with tools is very important, but choosing quality products will facilitate repairs and have a positive effect on the process of its work.
In the video below, you will see a detailed overview of the drywall tool.