The list of construction works often includes the need to connect elements made of different materials, eliminate cracks and holes, and fix panels to various surfaces. It is for this purpose that polyurethane foam is used, designed to ensure a quick fixation of building elements and allowing to significantly reduce the cost of certain construction operations. A special place among the various types of these products is occupied by polyurethane foam from the Makroflex brand, which has excellent technical characteristics and high quality.
Features of the
It was from the beginning of the production of Makroflex foam that the history of the manufacturer of the same name, popular in many countries of the world, which is now part of the Henkel group (country of origin - Estonia), began. Today the company is renowned for its extensive line of sealants, adhesives, cleaning fluids and tools. Such a variety of products, and most importantly, its quality, makes the Makroflex brand highly rated in its segment of the world market.
Foam for mounting Makroflex or polyurethane sealant is available in tubes with different volumes. The substance, consisting of a prepolymer and a propellant gas, solidifies upon contact with air, which ensures high-quality filling of cavities. For this product, in accordance with its main purpose, the following features are characteristic, which led to its widespread use in construction work:
- a high degree of adhesion (adhesion) to most building materials (wood, concrete, stone, metal and other building elements, etc.);
- high heat-insulating and sound-insulating qualities;
- preservation of strength for a long time;
- high filling qualities;
- the hardened material is non-toxic and non-flammable;
- dosage accuracy (when using a pistol) allows you to save on material consumption when using it;
- the possibility of organizing work breaks.
The official manufacturer declares the following technical parameters of Makroflex products, which in most cases corresponds to reality:
- The final hardening time of the used substance is exactly one day. At temperatures above + 20 ° C, the solidification time is reduced to 1.5-2 hours.
- Thermal stability of the product - from -50 ° С to + 100 ° С.
- The density of the hardened substance is 25-35 kg / m3.
- The ignition temperature of the foam is about 400 ° C.
- The degree of fire resistance of the hardened product is from B1 (fire resistant) to B3 (combustible).
- Foam yield - from 25 to 50 liters, depending on the volume of the package. With similar characteristics, Makroflex brand products provide a substance yield about 10% higher than that of analogues of other brands.
- Reliable level of strength - up to 3 N / cm² in compression and tension.
- The storage time of the product in the package is up to 15 months (it is better to store the tube vertically to maintain tightness). Storage temperature - not lower than + 5 ° С. It is strictly forbidden to store the product directly under sunlight.
- Foam performance is limited by ambient temperature. The product shows its best qualities at temperatures not lower than + 5 ° С. A special compound has been developed and is being sold for work in winter. Nevertheless, it is important to know that at low temperatures the foam hardens longer, and accordingly, its filling properties also decrease.
The range of products from Makroflex contains an extensive list of substances of various quality and applicability.
- Makroflex Shaketec (Winter) - all-season foam, used in dry and cool conditions (-10 ° С - + 25 ° С). Provides reliable sound insulation, is able to completely fill voids when repairing roofs, installing doors and window openings.
- Makroflex Premium based on polyurethane belongs to the type of professional assembly tools. When applied, it increases its volume by about 2 times. It is applied to the surface to be treated with a pistol. The high degree of adhesion of the substance allows it to be used in work with wet structures. It is sold in 750 ml cylinders.
- Makroflex Premium Mega - professional level winter remedy. Used at a temperature of -15 ° C, it provides a reliable degree of adhesion to various building materials.
- Makroflex Pro applied using a special device, the practical material yield reaches 65 liters. The composition does not contain chloride, fluoride or carbon inclusions, it is used for insulating windows and doors, filling various kinds of voids. As a sealant it is used for insulation of premises.
Makroflex Whiteteq - an innovative product. White polymeric substance made by the Whiteteq method, based on a process of perfect cleaning of the inclusions that make up the mixture. This procedure leads to the formation of a crystal-white shade of the material, a microporous Quattro structure and, as a result, an increase in the level of protection against ultraviolet radiation
The tube contains a special ball that ensures a high degree of substrate homogeneity during mixing. There is also a safety valve to help maintain the quality of the material. It is used in the process of isolation and removal of voids, when fastening various elements.
Makroflex "Foam cement" completely replaces weighty coolies with cement, additional tools and water, can easily and quickly glue different elements and blocks. It is used for the installation of panels, equipping stair steps and window sills. The scope of application of the composition is somewhat limited - it is not recommended to apply it to foam concrete surfaces
An independent product category is made up of Makroflex sealants:
Makroflex TA145 - super heat-resistant material used in conditions of high temperatures or sudden temperature changes (ovens, ceramic panels of kitchen stoves). The solidification of the TA-145 substance is facilitated by a humid environment. The composition does not contain solvents, the product is odorless and dries up within 1-2 days
Comparative studies show that Makroflex sealant has a number of advantages over conventional sealants. In case of fire, the material burns without forming cracks, where combustion products can penetrate. The finished coating can withstand from -65 ° C to + 315 ° C.
Makroflex AX104 - a super-universal sealing substance, including silicone, used for self-sealing of building elements during work in closed conditions and in the open air. It has excellent adhesion to glass, ceramic and aluminum materials. The product contains anti-fungal components
The substrate is resistant to the influence of ultraviolet radiation. Favorable temperature for installation - + 5 ° С - + 40 ° С in the absence of moisture. Stored up to 18 months.
- Makroflex NX108. It is characterized by high adhesion to wood, glass, metal, ceramic, plastic, concrete surfaces. The product is resistant to rust and ultraviolet radiation. The advantage of the substrate is that it can be used in high humidity conditions (for example, in a bathroom).
- Makroflex FA131 - effective frost-resistant polyacrylic product. It is used in the processing of seam elements and structural defects, internal and external work. The material is resistant to sudden temperature changes. It is not recommended to use it in high humidity conditions. The main functionality is the processing of seam elements and defects in concrete, brick, wood and other types of coatings.
- Makroflex SX101. It has a sanitary function as it contains antifungal fungicides. Used in high humidity conditions. Substance is white or colorless.
It should not be used on aquariums as the substrate contains antiseptics. Stains may appear on contact with a stone. Application is limited by temperature conditions - + 5 ° С - + 40 ° С.
Makroflex MFf190 - a powerful extra strong white adhesive substrate based on an aqueous dispersion of polymers. It is used in the process of gluing plastic and wood products for internal and external work. Acts quickly and efficiently
There is a certain classification that divides foam into household and professional products. When sealing small cracks, installing small products, it is irrational to purchase professional foam. In addition, household level foam increases in volume to a greater extent than professional foam. It is important to know that the shrinkage of professional foam is small (within 0-3%), for household foam this parameter is up to 5%. Shrinkage should not exceed 5%, since such an excess leads to deformation of the substance, and sometimes to unwanted breaks.
Based on this, professional Makroflex foam 750 ml is used in more demanding cases, for example:
- thermal insulation of heating networks, roofs;
- filling various voids;
- construction of insulating bulkheads;
- erection of fire-resistant structures (fire-resistant Makroflex FR77).
Scope of application
Consider the main areas of application of foam from Makroflex:
- For the installation of windows and doors. It is important to remember that the use of the material does not exclude the use of the necessary mechanical fasteners, much less replace them. In order to avoid the formation of defects, it is necessary to install spacers.
- In the process of sealing joints, cavities, joints and seam elements.
- For sealing joining lines during roofing work.
- During the sealing of pipes in buildings.
- For self-sealing cracks and holes.
- Filling voids in building materials.
- For thermal and sound insulation of premises structures.
The advantages of Makroflex foam are:
- no need for special preparatory manipulations;
- versatility and breadth of application;
- ease of use;
- affordable prices;
- fast hardening compared to cement composition;
- the ability to work with wood, stone, metal, PVC and chipboard coatings, concrete and foam concrete products;
- wide temperature range of application;
- elimination of the formation of dust and pollution during the production of work.
The disadvantages include the following points:
- Loss of material performance during prolonged exposure to ultraviolet radiation. To protect it, use coloring water-based compositions.
- The need for use in work with a substance of special means of protection, since foam negatively affects the respiratory system, skin, irritates the mucous membrane of the eyes.
- Decent consumption of material.
How long does it dry?
The rate of drying of a substance depends on a number of factors: humidity and temperature of the environment, the temperature of the substance itself, its volume and type. At a temperature of + 20 ° C, the substance dries up in 2-3 hours, but its final solidification occurs only after half a day. At a lower temperature, the substance dries up in a day. During the initial hardening period (2-3 hours), the substance can be cut, putty and painted. The curing time is shortened by wetting the surfaces, which also contributes to an increase in adhesion to various processed building materials.
The factors determining the material consumption are the size and shape of the joint applied to the surface. With a rectangular cross-section, an approximate calculation of the flow rate per 1 m of the seam can be made according to the simplified formula: D x B, where D is the seam depth (mm), B is the seam width (mm). For example, if the width and depth of the joint are 6 mm, then the flow rate will be 6 x 6 = 36 ml per 1 m of the joint. With a triangular seam, the consumption formula will take the form: ½ B x G. That is, with equal width and depth, for example, 12 mm, the consumption will be: 6 x 12 = 72 ml per 1 meter of the seam.
In the case of the "Penocement" composition, according to experts, when performing 10 m2 of masonry in 1 brick, about one standard tube with a volume of 850 ml is consumed. Approximately the same amount is spent when gluing gypsum panels with an area of 12 m2.
The manufacturer, as a rule, indicates on the packaging the maximum possible foam yield. It is important to understand that such a volume is achieved with strict adherence to the rules of the instructions and under favorable environmental conditions. When calculating the volume, it should be borne in mind that foam expansion occurs in two stages - primary and secondary. The first stage follows immediately at the moment the material leaves the tube. The second is at the end of the polymerization cycle of the substance.
High quality foam expands by 25-30% in the second stage, which should be taken into account when filling various cracks and cavities. That is, when 1/3 of the space is filled, it should remain hollow so that the swollen foam does not go much beyond the cavity. In this context, highly expanding household sealants are distinguished, for example, "Titan" and products with a medium and low expansion index, which are used for more delicate work, for example, Makroflex.
Tips & Tricks
The following tips and tricks will help you to apply foam from the Makroflex brand qualitatively, productively and safely:
- Before using the product, we recommend holding it at room temperature for about 12-14 hours, this will allow the substance to take the optimal condition for use.
- Before starting work, the processed elements are cleaned of dust. Porous surfaces are moistened with water from a spray. The work is performed at a humidity of more than 60%. If the humidity is low, the surfaces are wetted. Working on frosty or ice-covered surfaces is not recommended. To prevent the substance from getting on other surfaces, they must be covered with polyethylene.
- The ready-to-use substance must have a uniform consistency, therefore it is recommended to shake the tube immediately before use.
- During operation, the spray can must be held upside down, regardless of the method of applying the material to the coating (manual or with a pistol).
- Considering that the foam significantly increases in volume, when installing windows or doors, you need to install special. spacers to avoid deformation of structural elements.
- If it becomes necessary to take a break for more than 15 minutes before starting again, it is important to clear the tube of dried pieces of foam.
- Foam spots that do not have time to harden are easily cleaned with special means, but the already hardened part can only be cleaned mechanically (cut off).
- Makroflex is best used when filling cavities and joints with dimensions of 0.5-8 cm, since in narrower places the substance may not get to the required depth, as a result, voids are formed. Larger seams and crevices may not support the heavy weight of the product.
- In order to obtain the greatest foam yield, the tip of the cartridge should be cut off at a 45 degree angle.
- Avoid contact of the finished substance on the skin and organs of vision, this is fraught with severe irritation. If the composition gets in, it must be quickly washed off the skin, and the eyes should be thoroughly rinsed with warm water.
- It is not recommended to remove a completely unused tube from the gun. Replacement is done only if the tube is completely empty.
- Installation work must be carried out exclusively in places with effective ventilation, since substances harmful to the respiratory system are released during the spraying process. Don't forget about protective equipment!
- It is strictly forbidden to use the material on hot surfaces and old electrical wiring. This could lead to an explosion. Smoking is not recommended near sealing solutions.
An analysis of available reviews and product reviews shows that the overwhelming majority of specialists and those who independently applied for the first time foam Makroflex, recommend this tool for use, based on its very real advantages:
- practicality and ease of use;
- short hardening period;
- quite reasonable price;
- a wide choice for specific conditions of use;
- reliability and durability.
As a rule, positive reviews are also based on the elementary adherence to the instructions and compliance with safety measures when using the product.
For an overview of Makroflex building glue-foam, see the next video.