The widespread use of polyurethane foam is due to its technical characteristics, as well as ease of use. Among the huge number of manufacturers of these products, Soudal products deserve special attention.
Specifications and properties
Soudal mounting foam is made on the basis of a material that has a high adhesion to various surfaces. The sealing compound is made on the basis of polyurethane.
Foam hardening occurs at a high humidity of 60% and a temperature of 20 degrees above zero. After 8-10 minutes, the top film layer is formed. After about 25-30 minutes, the surface is completely dry. However, it should be noted that the rate of solidification increases depending on the size of the gap.
The cured sealant has a dense consistency. Closed pores make up 80% of the entire surface. The density of the substance is 26 kg / m3.
The foam is available in cans, the volume of which is 300 ml, 500 ml, 750 ml. Professional foam can have a volume of 1,000 ml. It should be noted that with a volume of 300 ml, up to 30 liters of the substance can be obtained at the outlet. The volume of the 500 ml can gives up to 40 liters of the substance. If the volume is 750 ml, the output is up to 50 liters of the substance.
After hardening, the mixture usually has a yellowish or greenish tint. A dark, saturated color is a sign of the destruction of a substance under the influence of sunlight.
The sealant is stored in a cool place for no more than one year.
It should be noted that the extreme temperature limits when working with this material are temperatures from 5 to 35 degrees above zero.
Soudal fire-resistant foam is characterized by its versatility. Due to the presence of high heat resistance in the solid state, it retains its properties at temperatures from minus 40 degrees to plus 90 degrees.
The material has special technical characteristics:
- high refractoriness;
- bending strength index corresponds to 17 N / cm2;
- sound insulation is 58 dB;
- compressive resistance is equal to 3N / cm2;
- moisture permeability is 1%;
- bending resistance is 7N / cm2.
Professional and household foam differ in the type of cartridge valve into which the sprayer is inserted
The sealant is manufactured using modern technologies and meets the existing quality standards. The presence of the certificate confirms the absence of polluting impurities. With the correct use of foam, crumbling and destruction processes should not occur.
Advantages and disadvantages
Among the indisputable advantages of Soudal products are:
- availability of options for use both in the cold season and in the heat;
- fast setting of the material;
- the possibility of using not only for professional purposes, but also in everyday life;
- ease and simplicity of use is ensured by convenient fastening of the pistol in the opening of the aerosol container;
- environmental friendliness of the material;
- low shrinkage;
- no double expansion effect;
- spreading efficiency over the surface;
- high adhesion density;
- long service life.
The disadvantages include:
- impossibility of working with materials made of polyethylene, teflon, silicone, polypropylene;
- indistinct adherence to the instructions can negatively affect the final result;
- when working with a sealant, safety rules must be observed;
- foam produced for winter time, at a temperature of minus 10-15 degrees, can come out of the can in a smaller volume than indicated on the package;
- does not withstand exposure to direct ultraviolet rays;
- the cost of the material is slightly above average.
Despite their disadvantages, Soudal sealants are widely used in many countries around the world. The choice in favor of this product is based on the undeniable quality of this product and its long service life.
Assortment and selection
Soudal is best known for several popular products.
A distinctive feature of this refractory mixture is the ability to prevent the spread of fire for up to 6 hours.
Soudafoam maxi Arctic
The so-called winter foam, which differs in that it makes it possible to work with the material at a temperature of 25 degrees below zero.
Soudafoam classic gun
Foam belongs to professional types. It allows you to work at temperatures from 5 to 30 degrees above zero.
Soudafoam maxi 70
In addition to high strength, adhesion, environmental friendliness, the fire-fighting mixture has a fairly high class of fire resistance, equal to the B3 indicator.
A distinctive feature of this material is that it acts like an adhesive. The substance is able to glue cotton wool, artificial material to concrete, metal, brick surfaces.
Soudafoam maxi sahara
A feature of this type of sealant is the ability to operate the material at temperatures from plus 40 degrees and above.
Soudafoam classic gun winter
Winter foam can withstand temperatures down to minus 10 degrees. It also has high strength properties, environmental friendliness, adhesion.
A distinctive feature of the sealant is the availability of types of mixture for work in the warm and cold seasons. It can be used in temperatures ranging from 5 degrees above zero to 18 degrees below zero. The maximum volume of material after expansion is 65 liters. The packing capacity is 750 ml. The sealant retains its properties in a temperature range from 54 degrees below zero to 100 degrees above zero.
Soudafoam Professional 60
The sealant is distinguished by its high ability to bond with surfaces, environmental friendliness, and dosage accuracy. The volume of the mixture at the outlet is 60 liters.
Soudal Profil Pu Foam 625
Household one-component foam is easy to use, does not require special devices. The volume of the mixture at the outlet can reach 40 liters. The sealant has excellent adhesion characteristics, is environmentally friendly and stable.
The peculiarity of the sealant is high performance, elasticity, fast solidification, bond strength.
To obtain the desired result, the correct sealant must be selected. It is important to decide for what purpose the foam is needed. Depending on whether the work will be carried out indoors or outdoors, the appropriate type of sealant is selected. But you also need to consider temperature and humidity.
Features of use
Before starting to work with the sealant, it is necessary to carry out preparatory activities, which include a number of sequential actions.
- A can of foam is removed from a cool storage location and kept at room temperature until its temperature is the same.
- The surface on which the sealant will be applied is thoroughly cleaned of dirt, dust, and foreign particles.
- For better adhesion of the sealant to the outer surface, it must be moistened with water.
- Before applying the sealant, the safety valve must be removed.
- If a pistol is used for work, then it is connected to a can.
- Shake the can.
- The substance is applied by placing the can upside down.
- After the work carried out, they perform cleaning, leveling the surface. Excess is easily removed with acetone or any other solvent. After the foam has solidified, cleaning can only be done using mechanical means.
There is a special Soudal foam cleaner with a volume of 500 ml, which is used to wash off the sealant from glass, wood, plastic, metal surfaces. It is also used to clean the assembly gun, balloon valve. This substance effectively degreases surfaces.
Due to its properties, the sealant is successfully used to fill voids, cracks:
- when insulating any building structures;
- when installing window, door structures;
- with the help of a sealant, empty areas of heating and cooling systems are filled;
- foam provides reliable insulation of piping systems;
- the sealant provides reliable sound insulation, therefore it is effectively used when installing any partitions or floors;
- foam is used in the construction of walls of baths, saunas, when laying fireplaces, stoves.
It should be remembered that when the sealant hardens, not all types have a yellow tint. The latest generation Flexifoam is blue in color.
It is important to note that preparatory work is mandatory for any type of sealant, be it one-component or two-component, winter, summer or all-season foam.
Compliance with all the rules for using the sealant will allow you to get excellent surface quality for many years.
For information on which foam to choose for large windows, see the next video.