Previously, specialists used various types of putties for sealing seams and carrying out installation work. Now they have been replaced by silicone sealants. The introduction of a new product on the market made the job much easier. Modern stores offer customers a huge variety of products that differ in composition and purpose. Let's take a closer look at universal sealants.
A high-quality composition has an excellent indicator of resistance to light and precipitation. It is worth noting high adhesion. The universal product got its name due to a wide range of uses. Sealants are often used for minor home repairs.
By consistency, it is a viscous, elastic and dense mass., which is ideal not only for overlapping joints, but also for gluing surfaces of various materials, carrying out minor installation work.
After hardening, the material acquires increased resistance to moisture and moisture. The mass does not allow foreign substances to penetrate into the seam.
Various components are used in the production of silicone compounds. Each element serves a specific purpose.
Universal sealants are complex mixtures
- The main component of the product is silicone rubber.
- Excellent viscosity and strength is achieved through the use of an amplifier. The element "turns on" after the layer has dried.
- The adhesion primer is responsible for the reliable and durable adhesion of the composition to the base.
- Elasticity and practicality are provided by a silicone plasticizer.
- The vulcanizer is responsible for the solidification process of the product. Thanks to him, the pasty product becomes a rubber substance.
Additional elements are also used, such as mechanical fillers, colorants and fungicides.
Products presented by foreign and domestic manufacturers are divided into two types: one-component and two-component sealants. The first variety has a wider range of uses.
Consider the types of one-component compositions
- Alkaline material is a separate product segment. The main feature is that manufacturers use amines as a base element.
- Acid. The sealant contains acetic acid. This component has a pungent odor that is strongly felt during use. The product has an affordable cost, but it is incompatible with some metals.
- Neutral. Alcohol or ketoxime is used to make the material. The composition does not conflict with various types of surfaces.
Silicone sealant has excellent elasticity, due to which the composition can be used on moving parts if necessary. A quality product made in accordance with GOST or European standards is highly durable.
The product seals joints even when working with various surface materials: glass, metal, concrete, plastic, etc.
Universal formulations are not affected by ultraviolet radiation and household detergents. Another feature of the product is excellent heat resistance. The operational characteristics of the layer are maintained both at sub-zero and high temperatures: from -50 degrees to 300 degrees Celsius (depending on the type of product, manufacturer and other features).
Advantages and disadvantages
Experts have compiled a number of advantages and disadvantages of universal silicone formulations, taking into account product characteristics and reviews.
- convenient and practical use;
- resistance to UV radiation and negative external influences;
- excellent adhesion to various materials;
- resistance to chemical elements;
- tolerance of sudden temperature changes;
- reliable protection of joints from microbes, bacteria, mold and mildew;
- affordable price;
- wide range of applications.
- the need for thorough surface preparation before using the sealant;
- some formulations are incompatible with conventional dyes.
A wide range of products, both domestic and foreign, is available to the Russian consumer. Let's take a closer look at the most popular and demanded formulations.
This is a universal white compound belonging to the segment - acidic compounds. Silicone waterproof sealant can be used for both indoor and outdoor use.
The material has high adhesion to wood, glass and ceramics.
- country of origin - Russia;
- 260 ml cartridge;
- scope of use - repair and construction work.
Hauser UNI Universal Sealant is ideal for home repairs. Experts assure that the composition is ideal for construction work. Main area of application: protection of polyurethane foam from direct sunlight, as well as sealing joints at window frames and doorways.
- White color;
- temperature resistance - from -40 degrees to 100 degrees Celsius;
- hardness index –14 (Shore);
- the film forms in 15-25 minutes at 50% humidity and a temperature of 23 degrees;
- a layer of 2 mm hardens in about 24 hours.
Penosil General ("Penosil" 310 ml)
A multifunctional and practical silicone compound used for repair and general construction work. The product has excellent adhesion and stability.
Silicone neutral sealant is ideal for outdoor or indoor use.
- production - Ukraine;
- White color;
- packing (tube) 310 ml;
- operation at temperatures from -60 degrees to 180 degrees above zero Celsius;
- it can be used on any type of substrate, regardless of the material.
Krass 300 ml
The clear, colorless product is ready to use immediately after purchase. After hardening, the material forms an even and smooth coating with the possibility of subsequent coloring. The sealant is recommended for glazing applications. Like all of the above formulations, the product is suitable for outdoor and indoor use. The material reliably adheres to surfaces with different textures.
- the period of complete hardening is a day;
- optimal conditions of use - humidity 80%;
- shelf life 1 year;
- an excellent indicator of adhesion to such materials: enamel, metal, ceramics, painted bases, plastic, glass;
- the minimum temperature indicator for use is 5 degrees Celsius.
Profil 280 ml
The white one-component Profil Universal Silicone is designed for multi-purpose use. The acid-type sealant will delight you with excellent adhesion to such surfaces: wood, metal, brick, concrete, glass, ceramics and glazed substrates.
An environmentally friendly product is not afraid of mold, sudden changes in temperature and ultraviolet rays.
- manufacturing company Soudal;
- purpose - finishing and household work;
- feature - fire-resistant composition;
- cartridge format;
- the product is designed for indoor and outdoor use.
See the next video about the types of sealants below.