Construction and renovation both inside the building and outside presupposes obtaining an ideal result, for which it is almost always necessary to get rid of cracks or level the joints. A variety of materials can be used, but not all of them can withstand frost and moisture, unlike modern sealants.
The choice of a suitable type allows you to successfully carry out any operations on the street, while not worrying about the result due to the frost-resistant and water-resistant qualities of the sealant.
Features of the
The sealant used for work outside the building has a number of properties that allow it to maintain its qualities in any weather. They include plasticizers, dyes, and various additives.
All the elements that make up the composition have technical characteristics that allow it to:
- be elastic, which is very convenient when filling seams and cracks;
- very durable, which makes it possible to work in difficult conditions with an intensively used object;
- do not be afraid of a sharp jump in temperatures;
- have a high degree of adhesion;
- have frost-resistant characteristics.
The advantage of silicone sealant can be considered versatility in interaction with other materials: brick, cement, granite, etc. Since there can be many options for outdoor work, there can be several varieties of this building mixture. The most versatile and convenient is a polyurethane sealant.
The polyurethane-based sealant adhesive has the following advantages:
- high elasticity;
- good adhesion, which is important when the outer layer of the structure is processed;
- excellent water resistance - contact with water makes the sealant even stronger and more durable;
- short time of mass hardening;
- resistance to ultraviolet radiation;
- it does not contain toxins and other substances harmful to humans;
- serves for many years without losing its properties.
A feature of frost-resistant sealants is that they can be painted, while the surface is smooth and attractive. You can select a colored composition for work or completely transparent, depending on which surface the work will be done on.
With the advent of sealants, it has become much easier to patch up irregularities and cracks in different places, therefore every year the number of varieties of this building material is growing, gaining new properties and directions.
Today, species diversity can be classified as follows:
- One-component formulations. Most often they are packaged in tubes or foil bags. Can cure well with application thicknesses of 2 and 12 mm. Scope of use - various minor repair and construction works.
- Two-component formulations. Can harden at all application thicknesses.
The sphere of their application is industry.
If we consider the sealant in relation to the scope of application, then we can distinguish such types as:
- for metal - most often used when working with machines and downpipes;
- for sealing seams and cracks - they help protect the joint and at the same time serve as a heat insulator;
- for wooden objects - most often these are window frames, regardless of the type of wood;
- for construction - can be used at any construction site;
- universal - it can be used in any of these cases.
In addition, it is worth paying attention to the color variety of sealants:
- The white version is most often used in plumbing, but it can be successfully used on metal-plastic windows, it also shows itself well in sealing cable channels.
- Transparent is most often used in the case of sealing a wooden window with the opening itself. Due to the lack of color, it will not be visible.
- Black sealant is used where exposure to ultraviolet light is high. It manifests itself well on the facade and roof, additionally it can be used in the process of car repairs.
- The brown version is most often applied to surfaces that have the same color or shade.
- Color variants can be used in the same way as the white look, but you can choose a tone or hue to minimize it from the background of the environment.
If we consider the characteristics of the sealant, then it can be subdivided into such types as:
- Frost resistant. It is used during work on sealing joints and gluing seams, when the outside air temperature is negative, including very low.
- Waterproof. They are used in cases where the room or work area is exposed to high levels of humidity, which is most often found in the kitchen and bathroom inside or outside the house.
- Heat resistant. It can be used when the air temperature becomes high or very high. Such a sealant can be applied to a stove, inside the house it is suitable for a heating system.
- Rubber - well suited for any repair and construction work. It is a moisture resistant sealant and can be used as an outdoor building compound for roofs, facades and similar surfaces that are exposed to moisture. It also shows excellent qualities in interior decoration with high humidity: shower, toilet, kitchen.
Thus, the sealant has become an indispensable tool for a wide variety of construction and repair work.
Due to the fact that it resembles rubber glue, it is possible to use it on different surfaces and not be afraid of the influence of moisture, sunlight or frost, which often causes the destruction of other finishing materials.
Scope of application
Frost-resistant and water-resistant sealants are used in the winter season, because other options will not cope with the peculiarities of the climate. In construction, this material is used to seal roof joints, especially if it is made of modern materials, because they need additional protection along the joint line. Facade sealant will help hide any flaws on the front side of the building, and the ability to paint this material makes it invisible, which is very convenient.
For panel houses, cracks are a very common problem, which cause drafts, especially noticeable in winter. With the help of only one sealant, you can get rid of this situation, but only if the gaps are small. In addition to the upper part of the building, it is worth paying attention to the lower one, because the whole foundation is the key to the stability of the building and its reliability. The sealant, due to its versatile properties, is able to stop cracking of the base and strengthen it for many years.
Outside of both new and old buildings, there are always some flaws that need to be dealt with in the early stages, as long as the destruction is minimal and can be dealt with with simple means. With the help of a universal silicone sealant, you can connect parts of concrete and metal, fill in voids and correct what initially did not work out or deteriorated over time.
It is especially easy and effective to use the sealant during the installation or repair of windows. Inside, it is important to finish everything so that no traces of this substance are visible, but at the same time that all the cracks are securely closed. Outside, you can pay more attention to protecting the window opening by filling all the cracks with a sealant. By choosing a transparent option, you can achieve the fact that it will be difficult to find places on the facade where the work was carried out, and the use of color options will help to mask the area where the repair was carried out.
The scope of use of the sealant is large and it is difficult to imagine the repair of any room, both inside and outside, without the use of this building mixture.
Thanks to the varieties that have been invented, you can easily find the desired option and not doubt its effectiveness.
What temperature can it withstand?
Construction work is most often not carried out in the winter, but there are always exceptions. There are emergency situations when you have to repair the house outside in any weather, solving a sudden problem. In such a situation, the temperature outside the window can be very different, which depends on the region, therefore it is important to use building materials and mixtures correctly.
To work in negative temperatures, you need to purchase a frost-resistant sealant, which does not lose its properties even at -60 degrees. Low and extra low temperature readings can affect the quality of work. That is why the use of a suitable sealant will help to cope with the situation quickly and get a good and high-quality result that will not collapse by the next season.
If we talk about the high temperature indicators that thermo-sealants can withstand, then the maximum is +200 degrees Celsius, which can occur when working with heating structures or appliances. In addition to choosing a heat-resistant composition, it is worth taking care of protecting the body from exposure to high temperatures.
Any time of the year dictates its own characteristics and it is important to know and take them into account, then there will be no problems with repair or construction. Waterproof, heat-resistant and frost-resistant sealant options will be able to cope with rainy weather, heat or high temperature indicators and freezing temperatures, while ensuring the proper result when working with seams, joints and cracks anywhere on the facade.
It is worth focusing on the surface temperature indicators on which the work will be carried out. It is best that it be within the range of +4 to +30 degrees, while the ambient temperature can be from -40 to +120 degrees. Knowing the surface temperature is important in order to be able to calculate the time it takes for the sealant to dry completely, after which it can be painted and renovated. If the average layer thickness is 10 mm, then the temperature of the surface on which the composition was applied should be at least +25. The optimal indicators of the drying time of the composition will be one day.
If the surface has not been prepared, then the adhesion to it will be worse and the silicone will dry much longer. When preparing the surface for work, it is important to clean it from dirt and dust and dry it, otherwise the result will be much worse.
The properties of the sealant are retained after fifteen freeze and thaw cycles at a temperature of -15 degrees, which indicates the durability of this building material and its resistance to the vagaries of the weather.
In order to purchase a high-quality frost-resistant and moisture-resistant sealant and use it correctly, you need to know certain nuances:
- When purchasing a tube with the composition, it is worth examining it and checking the expiration dates, because even high-quality material will not be so effective after the expiration of its service life.
- When choosing a tube with a sealant, it is important to study it well for mechanical damage, because this will negatively affect the contents, and you should not expect a good result from using such a tool.
- It is important to choose the right silicone for a certain type of work. Frost-resistant is taken for a facade that will be exposed to cold, but not used near stoves, and vice versa.
- When choosing a sealant from a number of similar ones, you should give preference to a proven product and a well-known brand. The price for it is often slightly higher, but you can be completely confident in the quality of the product.
- When planning a trip for building materials, it is better to choose a construction supermarket than a market, because the store has special conditions for storing any goods, everything has certificates and a guarantee, which can hardly be seen from a market trader.
If repairs using a sealant are to be done for the first time, you should take care of the availability of the required amount of composition, calculating the consumption per m2, which will significantly speed up the process. Sealing any areas should be done slowly and with complete confidence in what needs to be done. If there is no experience in using silicone, it is worth reading about the intricacies of its use and watching visual video tutorials, then patching up any defects inside and outside the room will not be a problem, whether it be interior walls or finishing the passage between them.
It is possible to use frost-resistant and water-resistant sealant options indoors, but often the scope of use refers specifically to facades, roofs and foundations, which are subject to negative influences. Construction and renovation has become much easier with the advent of mixes that even the layman can use.
For information on how to choose a quality sealant, see the next video.