Polyurethane foam is used for construction or repair work, for the installation of window and door structures, for fixing sheet materials, for sealing pipes. It has found wide application in improving the sound and thermal insulation of building objects. Sometimes foam is used to create decorative elements for interiors, exteriors and landscapes. Such building material is produced by many domestic and foreign manufacturers, among which Profflex rightfully belongs to the leading positions in product sales.
Features of the
Polyurethane foam is a type of polyurethane sealant that contains the main and additional components. The main constituents are polyol and isocyanate. The additional ones include stabilizing and catalyzing agents, foaming agents.
Profflex manufactures one-component polyurethane sealants available in aerosol cans. The materials are easy to use: by holding the button on the dispensing gun or spray can, the mass is pushed out. Further, the foam expands, due to which the filling of air voids and cracks is ensured. When exposed to ambient moisture, the mass polymerizes.
The curing process of the material is directly dependent on humidity. The higher it is, the less time it will take for the sealant to harden. Because of this feature, experts recommend moistening the work surface with water before applying the composition.
Profflex manufactures and markets an extensive line of polyurethane foams. They can be used in different conditions, have different properties or differ in the method of application.
Before buying a sealant, you should find out what types of products the manufacturer offers and find out about their features.
Profflex polyurethane foams are available for household and professional use. The former are intended for small construction or renovation work. All household sealants come with a plastic guide tube through which the polymerized mass is fed.
Professional products are dispensed in specialized cylinders with a device for installing a dispensing gun. Such materials are often used by installation companies for large-scale work. Professional and household foams differ in some technical parameters. For example, the secondary expansion of a simple sealant is higher than that of a professional sealant. Due to this feature, experts do not recommend using household foam for high-precision construction manipulations.
In addition, polyurethane sealants can be of several types
- Summer. They are used only at positive ambient temperatures.
- Winter. Such funds contain special components that increase the rate of polymerization of the mass in conditions of negative temperatures and low humidity. It is recommended to use them in a wide temperature range from -20 to + 35 degrees.
- Versatile or all-season. It is permissible to use them, regardless of the season.
And also foams are divided into flammable and fireproof. The latter are often used to install fireproof door structures. When exposed to fire, they do not emit harmful substances, do not melt or burn for 240 hours.
Each of the varieties of polyurethane material has its own technical characteristics and different areas of use. To choose the right foam, you need to familiarize yourself with the offers of the Profflex company.
Profflex is a polyurethane foam manufacturer that produces sealants for various types of work. The product range is extensive.
Consider the most popular materials for construction and repair work
- Firestop 65. Fire-resistant, professional, one-component composition designed to seal air gaps in facilities where increased fire safety requirements are imposed. All-season sealant is used at both positive and negative temperatures. Possesses high adhesion. The initial polymerization time is at least 10 minutes.
- Fire Block OL. Fireproof sealant for professional use. The material is capable of not melting or burning when exposed to fire for 240 minutes. The one-component composition of FireBlock belongs to the all-season class, due to which it does not change its qualities when used in conditions of subzero temperatures and low air humidity.
And also the manufacturer offers products of the Gold series. These polyurethane sealants, depending on the modification, can only be used in winter or summer seasons.
- Pro Red Plus Winter. One-component winter material used at temperatures from -18 to 35 degrees. Foam has found wide application in the installation of doors and windows, filling voids, cracks and joints. It can be used as a heat or sound insulator. The output of the finished mass from 1 cylinder is about 65 liters.
- Storm Gun 70. Industrial composition with an output of 70 liters. Material contains a flame retardant substance. It is used only at positive temperatures. Differs in high adhesion to most materials. It can be used at low air humidity. Complete polymerization of the composition occurs 12 hours after application.
Advantages and disadvantages
Polyurethane foams produced by Profflex are high quality materials that have both their advantages and disadvantages that must be studied before purchasing them.
Let's first list all the advantages of the sealant
- High levels of adhesion to stone, concrete, wood, metal, glass, plastic and other types of surfaces.
- Fire resistance. This property is due to the material's ability not to conduct electric current.
- Fast polymerization of the applied mass. Basically, it will take 3-7 hours to completely dry the foamy mass. The time may be increased due to low humidity or freezing temperatures.
- No pungent odor.
- Reduced porosity.
- Resistant to moisture.
- Ease of use. Even an unprepared person can use polyurethane foam.
- Affordable price segment.
Polyurethane foams are not ideal material. Like all products for repair and construction, they have some disadvantages. One of the disadvantages is the fear of ultraviolet radiation. When exposed to the sun, the polymerized sealant changes color and begins to crumble, which leads to a loss of seam tightness. And also the applied foam can collapse during sudden temperature changes.
In addition to the above, the disadvantages include the harmfulness of polyurethane foam.
To reduce the negative impact of the material on human health, it is recommended to carry out construction and repair work in rubber protective gloves and a respirator.
Profflex is positioned by consumers as a reliable manufacturer of quality polyurethane foams.
Home craftsmen and professional builders prefer this particular product for a number of reasons:
- wide temperature range of use;
- high adhesion;
- long shelf life.
Consumers note that the manufacturer offers an extensive line of polyurethane sealants, among which you can find a product to solve specific construction problems. Shoppers also love the prevalence of the material: the foam is sold both in hypermarkets and online stores as well as in small hardware stores.
Analyzing the reviews about the polyurethane foam, we can conclude that there are negative responses to Profflex sealants. For example, some consumers note a low foam yield (below that stated by the manufacturer in the instructions). And also buyers complain about the lack of material in a small package.
Tips & Tricks
For each type of polyurethane foam, the manufacturer encloses an instruction in which information on the rules for using the sealant is described in detail.
There is also a set of professional recommendations that must be followed when applying the material
- It is necessary to use sealants only in accordance with the seasonality: use summer compounds in summer, winter - winter ones in winter. It is not allowed to violate temperature conditions.
- Before use, it is recommended to warm up a cold bottle by lowering it into a container with hot water (up to 50 degrees) for a few seconds. For quick mixing of the components and to ensure a greater mass yield, shake the can vigorously.
- Surfaces to be treated with foam must be prepared: cleaned of debris, dust and degrease to ensure greater adhesion.
- When using sealant, the cylinder is held only in an upright position with the valve down.
- Air gaps are filled only 60-70%.
- When carrying out construction and repair work, it is important to take into account that in winter, the polymerization of the foamy mass is much slower than in summer.
- Gloves and work clothing must be worn before using polyurethane sealant. If the composition comes into contact with the skin of the hands or overalls, use special solvents to remove contaminants.
Compliance with the listed rules will allow you to do the job quickly, efficiently and safely.
For a comparison of other polyurethane foams with Profflex foam, see the following video.